Old 08-19-2015, 05:47 AM   #21

City: Sharbot Lake
Vessel Name: Manatee
Vessel Model: 1976 Albin 25 DeLuxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor of Fortune View Post
Auto pilot is not optional as a single hander. Get it early, set it up right and you will have the cheapest "crew" imaginable. No whining, no quitting, just steer me straight.
I am going to investigate that right away. I would like to have that for local boating in any case. Now I have a reason to consider the expense!
Old 08-19-2015, 05:52 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksanders View Post
There is no reason to take your boat from Key West to Mexico. That is in my opinion farther than you need to or should venture offshore.

Why not enjoy the ICW along the way. You would be missing the entire Gulf Coast and all it has to offer. Cajun food for one!

Leave the USA at BrownsVille, TX. No open water. ICW cruising at its best.
I do not know anything about the cruising conditions along the Gulf Coast, but actually if they are good, there is no reason to avoid that lengthy route. After all, I would not be in a hurry to get anywhere in particular. And the thought of losing power out of sight of landfall in a small boat is daunting to say the least. I will look into that.
Old 08-19-2015, 05:53 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panope View Post
If the OP looks anything like his avatar, the proposed venture will be a piece of cake.
Actually that's my photo.
Old 08-19-2015, 06:10 AM   #24
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Maybe with the new relations with Cuba the jump will not be as drastic.

Many have done the Cuba route...just not many Americans lately.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 07:42 AM   #25
Guru

City: Tampa
Quote:
There is no reason to take your boat from Key West to Mexico. That is in my opinion farther than you need to or should venture offshore.

Why not enjoy the ICW along the way. You would be missing the entire Gulf Coast and all it has to offer. Cajun food for one!

Leave the USA at BrownsVille, TX. No open water. ICW cruising at its best.
Absolutely, 100% agree with this.
Why not enjoy the sights, food and the people you meet along the way.
If you were in a hurry, I'd say gear up and make the run across.

If you have the time and funds to take it easy (that's what we're supposed to be doing isn't it?), then do the coastal/ICW routes and enjoy the adventure.

OD
Old 08-19-2015, 08:41 AM   #26
Guru

City: Trenton
The smaller the boat, the bigger the adventure.
alormaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 09:37 AM   #27

City: louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Maybe with the new relations with Cuba the jump will not be as drastic.

Many have done the Cuba route...just not many Americans lately.
Was thinking the same...but the OP is from Canada eh? Should not be a problem. Ninety miles from Key West to Cuba and about 120 mi. from the western tip of Cuba to Isla Mujeres. When I was young, dumb and full of...uh..piss and vinegar..yeah, that's it..We would not hesitate to take a 26 foot open CC Pacemaker with twin gas IB volvo's and a deck fuel of fuel bladders out to 100 miles bluewater fishing for 3 days. We knew the boat/engines well and had all the usual spares and experience changing them in suboptimal conditions. With careful weather planning the boat can do it.
rardoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 10:25 AM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: DOS PECES
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
Actually the OP seems to be fixated on Panama as a retirement destination.

Panama might be a living standard booster, but I won't delve into that during this thread...

What is important is that he has a modest retirement income and a boat that is capable of living on.

From his posts I see no financial reason to even leave North America in that boat unless he has some other reason for doing so.

In my opinion he could easily cruise his albin around the inland and coastal waterways of the US and Canada on the budget he has indicated. To some that does not sound like allot of fun... To me it sounds like a dream come true.
https://maps.findmespot.com/s/XLJZ#history/assets
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 12:45 PM   #29
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Quote:
To some that does not sound like allot of fun... To me it sounds like a dream come true.

100% true

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 01:03 PM   #30
Guru

City: Tampa
Quote:
Actually the OP seems to be fixated on Panama as a retirement destination.

Panama might be a living standard booster, but I won't delve into that during this thread...

What is important is that he has a modest retirement income and a boat that is capable of living on.

From his posts I see no financial reason to even leave North America in that boat unless he has some other reason for doing so.

In my opinion he could easily cruise his albin around the inland and coastal waterways of the US and Canada on the budget he has indicated. To some that does not sound like allot of fun... To me it sounds like a dream come true.
I agree from a lot of perspectives.
At least here, I know what kind of crooks we have in office and the level of political corruption we have to deal with. When it comes to looking for another country to call home long term, once past the COL, I'm always more concerned with crime and political upheavals. At least in the U.S., I can deal with the crime issues myself. But it's still expensive here.

I can understand why he might want to expat.
This is from 2013 on the COL in Panama v. the U.S.:

http://vivatropical.com/panama/cost-of-living-in-panama/

Depending on how much that may have changed since then, I'd say it makes good sense to get the most for his $$$$. Besides, there's no snow, no cold weather, warm beaches, and if I understood him correctly, he's going "solo."
If that's the case, all I can say is
Old 08-19-2015, 05:39 PM   #31

City: Camden
Vessel Name: Retriever
Vessel Model: Gus Skoog Lobsterboat
The smaller the boat the bigger the adventure.
Tanbark1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 07:11 PM   #32
Guru

City: St. Petersburg, Florida
Vessel Name: M/V Sherpa
Vessel Model: 24' Vashon Diesel Cruiser
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanbark1 View Post
The smaller the boat the bigger the adventure.
Great comment! I've often pondered whether I could live aboard my little 24' trawler. I determined it could be done if I significantly downsized and simplified my life (not a bad thing) but I'd have to live alone. I'd enclose the aft with canvas/sunbrella. I already have A/C, shore power, water, a head, and ample storage. Showers would be a challenge though--perhaps I'd use the marina showers or install a water heater on board and use the aft wash-down sprayer.

Matters I worry about are considerations for a live aboard on any-size boat. What do I do with my family heirlooms, photos, or collections? Where do I go if a hurricane approaches? Where do I stay during haul out and repairs?

I say go for it! Someone else mentioned Janice--she's a great example of someone who has done it successfully on a smaller boat.
Old 08-19-2015, 07:18 PM   #33
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Duty View Post
... there's no snow, no cold weather, warm beaches, and if I understood him correctly, he's going "solo."
If that's the case, all I can say is
But oh!, the heat and humidity!
Old 08-19-2015, 07:46 PM   #34
Guru

City: St Augustine,Fl
Going solo is the key. I could do it alone on a boat that size by myself, but not even with my wife, we would drive each other crazy.
He should go in my opinion. If he gets 2 weeks down the road and he hates it, the Albin could be sold and he goes to a rental house somewhere. The injustice of this situation would be if he didn't give it a fair shake. My monies on him! I think this will be the time of his life.
Sailor of Fortune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 08:02 PM   #35
Guru

City: Southwest MI
Vessel Name: Sobelle
Vessel Model: C-Dory 22 Cruiser
There is someone on this site wanting to downsize from their Albin 27FC to something more trailerable. Perhaps you can do a swap. They get a smaller boat, and you get one that is more liveable. I have always liked the Albin 27FC, but it is not very trailerable (it can be done).

For a single person the 27 with a camper top available for the center section when inclement weather strikes would be very nice (IMO).

You'd both stay in the family of boats you are familiar with.

http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s...ade-20911.html
ssobol is offline   Reply With Quote