Old 03-29-2013, 03:06 PM   #1

City: Spartanburg, SC
Vessel Name: Big Duck
Vessel Model: '72 Land-N-Sea
Alaska Cruising

Responding to several other threads reminded me:
Some of us have/had dreams of cruising Alaska.
I did and I did.

Before we got into boating, we lived on the West Coast. We visited the Pacific often and the prospect of boating there terrified me. I couldn't imagine having to deal with the rugged coastline, distance between ports and treacherous bars. When the sea did call us, we cowered to the relative calm and safety of the East Coast and it's ICW.

When we traded to power from sail, Alaska started calling. Alaska called even more persistently when we moved from the trawler to trailerable cuddy cabin.

In researching the prospect of a trailerable boat cruising the Inside Passage, we stumbled on a fellow who had 'been there', 'done that' and continued to 'do that' year after year.

We incessantly pestered this fellow for ideas and advice while we were making plans to tow the boat west and get her bottom wet on the Inside Passage. His advice was offered freely, it was sound, well founded and we took it, especially since his experiences were in small boats, not the gloriousky trawlers that seem to be the norm in those waters.

His advice about how to cruise the Inside Passage in our small boat was invaluable. We discussed types of boats, equipment, trailer considerations, spare parts, lists, planning and supplies and their availability. His advice on anchorages and weather was especially reassuring.

By the time I was off this fellow's back, I think he realized that he had worked up all this information into an organized form. He has since made it available. So if you want to cruise the Inside Passage, whether you have a boat or not, this information will likely be all you need to get kick started and out there getting some sea spray in your face while whale and glacier watching.

Cruising In A Big Way: Richard Cook: 9780557059713: Amazon.com: Books

jeffnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 08:53 PM   #2
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Great post and congratulations to Richard on his book! I always look forward to either Richard or your posts Jeff. They show just how far you can go with trailer boats if you try. Folks on this forum often speak of out of the box thinking, IMO you both personify it.

Sent by Craig from my iPhone using Trawler

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 10:37 AM   #3
Guru

City: Holladay, UT
Vessel Name: Dream Catcher
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37-065
Hey Jeff,

Thanks for the nice note! I very much enjoyed helping you get a handle on what to expect up that way. It's not quite as much fun as being there, but a pleasure for sure, especially when the cruising weather up north is not so welcoming.

I'm delighted to report that Spring is finally happening here in Utah, and prep for another summer on the water has begun!
"Cruising in a Big Way"
RCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 05:03 PM   #4
Guru

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: The Promise
Vessel Model: Roughwater 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffnick View Post

Responding to several other threads reminded me.....
..... not the gloriousky trawlers.....

Cruising In A Big Way: Richard Cook: 9780557059713: Amazon.com: Books
Great word, gloriousky.

Thanks for the recommendation.
Old 03-30-2013, 09:26 PM   #5
Guru

City: Holladay, UT
Vessel Name: Dream Catcher
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37-065
If anyone would care to have a look at a more extensive (28 pages) preview of my little book, it's available on the self-publishing site Lulu.com. Lulu's preview is also more sharp and clear than Amazon's. Here's the link. Select Preview, below the cover photo.

Cruising in a Big Way by Richard Cook (Paperback) - Lulu
"Cruising in a Big Way"
RCook is offline   Reply With Quote