Old 01-19-2020, 08:12 AM   #241
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardude01 View Post
Great writing again, as usual, Dave. I love the hilarious selfies— here’s me with the propane bottles!

Question on adapters. I have two 30amp connections on my boat and have two 30amp cords. I have a “splitter” that joins those two cords to one 50 amp plug when that’s all that’s available.

Sometimes I only need one 30 amp feed if not using AC. Is it OK to just leave one side of that splitter empty and not use it or am I breaking some kind of ABYC rule?
It's ok to only use one side of that splitter, just make sure the other receptacle is weather protected. I doubt there is a plug available, but a heavy plastic bag and a rubber band or tie wrap should be sufficient. If rain gets in the receptacle and trips the GFI breaker, you will loose power to the boat as well.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 08:22 AM   #242
Guru

City: Cape May, NJ
Vessel Name: Irish Lady
Vessel Model: Monk 36
Quote:
Question on adapters. I have two 30amp connections on my boat and have two 30amp cords. I have a “splitter” that joins those two cords to one 50 amp plug when that’s all that’s available.

Sometimes I only need one 30 amp feed if not using AC. Is it OK to just leave one side of that splitter empty and not use it or am I breaking some kind of ABYC rule?

Yes its ok to leave one cable unplugged as long as the energized end is a female end and the de-energized end is male. That is the normal convention of shore power cords.
1984 Monk 36 Hull #46
Currently in Cape May, NJ
High Wire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 09:10 AM   #243
TF Site Team

City: Seneca Lake NY
Vessel Name: Bacchus
Vessel Model: MS 34 HT Trawler
"Sometimes I only need one 30 amp feed if not using AC. Is it OK to just leave one side of that splitter empty and not use it or am I breaking some kind of ABYC rule?"

I have dual 30A inlets/cords but many times only use one so I do this frequently. I use a screwed weather tight connector with a blank plastic cap under the threaded ring on the unused cord end of the splitter. The plastic bag and rubber band would certainly be better than nothing
Bacchus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 11:47 AM   #244
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
I have the same boat wagon, Dave! It saves the back lots of aggravation!

Your selfies are the perfect complement to your entertaining writing style! It's refreshing to chuckle along with your antics.

Great stuff, sir!

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 09:32 PM   #245
Guru

City: Beaufort, NC USA
Vessel Name: Sylphide
Vessel Model: Kingston Aluminum Yacht 44' Custom
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Wifey B: Now you're doing it right. The lazy way and seeing what you want and changing schedules when you wish and having fun. Even video games and pizza when the mood strikes you. Now you're living.
It feels good to be settling into a good groove lately. I think I might finally be getting the hang of this! haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comodave View Post
Sounds like you are having a good time, congrats. Have to get a 50 to 30 amp adapter.
I really am enjoying myself now I actually might have one of those adapters aboard, now that I think of it. I'll have to check.

I asked the dude on the phone at Waterside what would happen if I plugged a 30 amp boat into a 50 amp socket. The answer I expected was 'a fire,' but the one I got was 'iunno.' Lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_can View Post
Always hooked with your story! The Paul Johansen is stunning, I lust over it
Thanks Dan! She sure is a pretty boat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by O C Diver View Post
An adapter like this will solve future power availability problems.

https://www.amazon.com/Parkworld-692...9434466&sr=8-7

I'll bet radar and 2 way AIS have moved up the priority list.

Ted
Oddly enough, In all my years of sailing, this was the first time I ever really needed radar and AIS, and didn't have it. It was a sobering experience, and one I'm in no hurry to repeat.

Quote:
Great writing again, as usual, Dave. I love the hilarious selfies— here’s me with the propane bottles!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWright View Post
I have the same boat wagon, Dave! It saves the back lots of aggravation!

Your selfies are the perfect complement to your entertaining writing style! It's refreshing to chuckle along with your antics.

Great stuff, sir!
The silly selfie has become an important part of my identity at this point. I've had many people ask if I'd like them to take my picture, and I usually turn them down, explaining that I prefer terrible pictures. They're usually confused.

While the kid at the Mobil station was filling my tanks, we chatted a bit, and he said something like 'ah, the life of a sailor...' to which I replied 'Here it is, in all it's glory. It's a fat sweaty man taking his propane bottles out for a walk around town. Isn't it glamorous??' lol. Seriously though, that cart has been worth my weight in gold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgano View Post
The Whiskey, as we called the Wisconsin, was the only one of the four Iowa class battleships I did not go to sea in and witness a full broadside of the big guns. As the fourth senior officer in Iowa, my stateroom was forward of the wardroom stbd side right by the door exiting onto the main deck. Every morning at sea at 0500, my gunners would lower those large clunky looking life line supports on the deck above me as part of the daily transmission checks between all turrets and gunmounts and the fire control systems. The life lines had to come down for T II to swing out on the beam, and the guys took especial delight in letting them fall from vertical to horizontal with a loud crash waking up all the officers below, including the XO.
Quote:
1500 of us slaved day and night to keep her looking sharp; so it is hard to look at photos of the ship in a neglected state. I am sure the San Pedro museum folks have her in better shape.
I've been on two of the Iowa Class ships now. Whisky and new Jersey. The first thing I noticed about Wisconsin was that her decks are in MUCH better shape than Jersey's. I asked the tour guide about that. He said that apparently Whiskey's decks were replaced with solid teak at the refit in the 80s. The other three had theirs replaced with timbers that had a thin layer of teak laminated over something else. The laminated stuff is all in pretty rough shape now apparently.

From what I could see, the Wisconsin is being very well maintained. I'm sure she's not as shiny as she would have been under your care, but I was impressed by how clean and well painted she is. Broadway was looking especially fresh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Wire View Post
Back in the seventies the Wisconsin and Iowa were in mothballs at Philadelphia Navy Yard. You could drive right up to them in a small boat and knock on the hull. I was a teenager and had no clue how thick the hull was. Like concrete!
Like concrete wrapped in iron, dipped in lead!
Wayfarer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 03:32 PM   #246
TF Site Team

City: MX, thru Canal to Bahamas
Vessel Name: Muirgen
Vessel Model: 50' Beebe Passagemaker
Dave, did you ever get resolution on your holding tank (or NOT holding tank) issue?
slowgoesit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 06:06 PM   #247
Guru

I write to you from Beaufort, NC, which is pronounced Beaufort. Not to be confused with Beaufort, SC, which is pronounced Beaufort.

Is that joke getting old yet?

When we left the action, I was at Great Bridge. Since then, life has been pretty good aboard Sylphide.

The easy, breezy, beautiful thirty-something miles down to Coinjock was smooth and pleasant. The weather was fine and sunny, and we arrived at Coinjock sometime around 1500. As I pulled up alongside the dock, a bunch of smiley and friendly folks were gathered around the bed of a pickup truck. They stared at me. I stared at them. I offered a wave, and they returned it. Then for some reason, one of them shouted 'GO TRUMP!' I'm not really sure what prompted that. I don't have a Trump flag flying, or a Mayor Pete flag either for that matter. Slightly baffled, I shrugged it off with some non-committal gesture, and tied up the boat. As has been true at most places I've visited on this trip, it was largely empty. This meant that it was quiet, and there were no lines or waiting for the bathrooms or laundry machines.

The one busy part of uh... town? was the restaurant. It was nearly full when I went in. So many people had mentioned the prime rib throughout the day, that it was almost bizarre. I've never known a place to be so associated with a specific cut of meat before. When I first got tied up, even before the dockhand told me where the bathrooms were, he told me that I'd better go reserve my cut of prime rib now! Anyway I got the shrimp and grits, and it was delicious.

My only regret about my Coinjock experience was not buying some Toe Jam to spread on my toast. I'll have to pick some up on the trip back up.

The next travel day would bring me across Albemarle Sound, and most of the way up the Alligator River. There had been a lot of wind lately, an it looked like it would continue. It did appear that this would be the best of the next three days however, and I decided I didn't want to stay in C'jock that long if I didn't have to. The wind was out of the north, so I figured it wouldn't be too bad with the weather at my back, so I went. The ride wasn't horrible, but it wasn't particularly pleasant either. The seas got pretty big, and Sylphide was corkscrewing around like a drunken horse. I don't often suffer from seasickness, but it does happen very occasionally. Today was one of those occasions. I just felt tired, and slightly green by the time I was halfway across.

As I stated before, I don't have radar or AIS. Another thing I don't have is an anemometer. If you'd asked me what the wind was doing, I would have guessed it was in the low twenties. Well, when I called the Alligator River swing bridge, I gave her an extra head's up when I was about half an hour out. She said that the wind had been getting pretty close to her max operating speed of 37 knots Thankfully she took pity on me and said she'd open for me when I got there, and she did. I'm not entirely sure where I'd have gone from there if the bridge didn't open, but I am sure that it would have been a very miserable ride regardless.

Once I made the turn at the south end of the river, the seas died off, and my green feeling was quickly replaced with a ravenous appetite. I dropped the anchor north of Deep Point, alongside a big sailing cat, just as the sun set. It got pretty cold once the sun was gone, and my fingers were stinging by the time I got my snubber set up. To find a cure for this, I broke out my copy of 'America's Test Kitchen Cooking for Two' that my mom got me for Christmas, and lovingly crafted a delicious pot of chili. I snuggled up for a cozy night in, and the cold north gale continued to blow through the night.

The leg down to Belhaven came next. The wind was still blowing out of the north when I picked up the hook, but not quite so hard. The trip down the Alligator Pungo canal was pleasant enough. The scenery was nice, if a bit samey. Wagner, my helmsman (read autopilot) did most of the driving.

We meandered into Belhaven just as the Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy finished up, and with the help of a fella named Mike, we made fast to the Belhaven marina wall. The next day, we took advantage of the local facilities. The laundry machines were free and clean, so I took the opportunity to wash my bedding and jackets, and I cleaned myself up a bit too. They have the most decorated bathrooms I've encountered yet. I spent the rest of the day catching up on a few other chores, and exploring the little town. I was really hoping to be able to grab dinner at Spoon River, which I've heard nothing but very good things about, but they would be closed the whole time I was there. Instead I patronized a place called Jack's Neck.

My waitress saw me fingering my Navionics app at the table, and asked if I was in town on a boat. Turns out she'd also come to the area by boat a few years earlier. She'd come from California, and over the course of six years, she and her husband had circumnavigated westward on a 31 foot sailboat. I was more than a little humbled by this, and very nearly went into Wayne and Garth mode, bowing at her feet and chanting 'we're not worthy!'

After a couple of pleasant nights in Belhaven, and a couple of nice chats with the gent who runs the place, I set off down the ol' dusty trail again. The next stop would be the questionably named Oriental. By now, the scenery has all started to become a bit of a blur. The whole area looks very North Caronliney. More Houses on stilts, more long leaf pines, more cuts and canals, shrimp boats and sounds.

Oriental turned out to be a nice surprise. I tied up at the free town dock for a night, choosing the #2 dock, partly because it was closer to the bathrooms, but mostly because that's the way the wind was blowing me. Sylphide felt a bit large in this confined little port, but I'm very pleased to say that I absolutely aced the docking. It was one of those times when you wish everyone was watching.

Due to the fact that I'd only need a few hours to get to the next port, I took the morning to wander around town. I left some dollars at The Bean, the local coffee place, and the Provision Company, which is a great shop for all sorts of miscellaneous boat stuff and even some groceries. The friendly woman at the Village Art Gallery also turned out to be a northern expat, who had come south by boat as well. I see a pattern forming here...

The lack of power and water facilities at the town dock, and the rules against running your generator, made me glad I'd had the work done at Annapolis. My big bank of AGMs barely blink at a night off the grid now, which is such a relief.

On the run down from Oriental, as I entered the Newport River, I saw my first confirmed dolphin. He/she/they was less than 10 feet away from me when I saw him/her/them, and I got about three seconds of blowhole and dorsal fin before it was all over. (Get your head out of the gutter!) I was really hoping he'd come back and play a bit, but no such luck. (S)He didn't even stick around long enough for me to say 'wow,' let alone take a picture. It was still a pretty cool third of a moment.

I arrived last night in Beaufort, and signed up for a week at the Homer Smith docks. I really like it here. The docks are brand new, the folks are friendly, and the view is beautiful (pronounced beautiful.) I was even able to enjoy an excellent sunset from the comfort of my aft deck last night, since the temperature was a very civilized sixty something. Today, I wore shorts, and didn't feel like a crazy person.

I'm looking forward to getting out and exploring a little, and maybe getting a little work done while I'm here, too. Ol' Perkins has 250 new hours on the clock, and I believe he's due for a spa day. I'd also like to finally get to work on the poop leak issue, which I've been very successfully trying to ignore for the last week
Old 01-25-2020, 06:39 PM   #248
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
Very interesting, I admire the majestic ride and progress of Sylphide. If you ever tire of ship driving, journalism would be worth a try. Happy and safe travels.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 07:08 PM   #249
Guru

City: Southport, FL near Panama City
Vessel Name: FROLIC
Vessel Model: Mainship 30 Pilot II since 2015. GB-42 1986-2015. Former Unlimited Tonnage Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
Very interesting, I admire the majestic ride and progress of Sylphide. If you ever tire of ship driving, journalism would be worth a try. Happy and safe travels.
I think Dave could easily combine the two activities, as soon as he gets that stray fender properly stowed.
rgano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 07:13 AM   #250
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceK View Post

Quote:
I think Dave could easily combine the two activities, as soon as he gets that stray fender properly stowed.

Thanks gents!

Here’s a bit of sacrilege, I usually just leave my fenders out... I know, I’m a maniac.
Old 01-26-2020, 07:31 AM   #251
Veteran Member

City: Alberta
It is always so interesting to read about your adventures! It never fails, I look forward to your posts, I’m never disappointed.
Dan_can is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 08:01 AM   #252
Guru

City: Oriental N.C.
Vessel Name: true heading
Vessel Model: marine trader 38 dc
dave , you said you didn't know what to do if the bridge didn't open. there is a marina right at the bridge on the sound side(with a great grill),but if the wind was the wrong direction that could be tricky too.
timb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 08:09 AM   #253
Guru

City: Annapolis
Vessel Name: Ranger
Vessel Model: 58' Sedan Bridge
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayfarer View Post
Here’s a bit of sacrilege, I usually just leave my fenders out... I know, I’m a maniac.

About halfway south on our last winter trip, we began to leave our forward fenders rigged -- usually for floating dock height -- since we got tired of dock persons changing their mind about which side-to just as we approached.

(Example: We're not in sight yet, but dockmaster says it'll be a stern-to port side tie. As we get closer, he says... uuhhh.... sorry, I meant starboard side-to. Great.)

This year we doubled down on that; six tube fenders, three on each side, always rigged... and with a larger buoy that she can quickly move from one side to the other. (Latter for laying the forward portion of the hull up against a floating dock if necessary.)

The forward fenders are rigged with a cow hitch, so wifey can change heights pretty quickly... and she just brings 'em up onto the deck when we're underway...

This trip, we also worked out a way to secure all the forward dock lines, and a boat hook, up there too... so she doesn't have to schlep stuff back and forth...

-Chris
Old 01-26-2020, 08:10 AM   #254
Guru

City: Annapolis
Vessel Name: Ranger
Vessel Model: 58' Sedan Bridge
Quote:
Originally Posted by timb View Post
dave , you said you didn't know what to do if the bridge didn't open. there is a marina right at the bridge on the sound side(with a great grill),but if the wind was the wrong direction that could be tricky too.
Yep, would have been easy. Decent fried chicken, too.

-Chris
Old 01-26-2020, 08:11 AM   #255
Guru

City: Rochester, NY
Vessel Name: Hour Glass
Vessel Model: Chris Craft 381 Catalina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayfarer View Post

I leave mine out if I'm in a canal with locks, etc. Otherwise, if I won't need deck access on one side while cruising, sometimes we'll just flip them up onto the side deck so we can just toss them over the rail later instead of carrying them forward to the holders.
rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 08:17 AM   #256
TF Site Team

City: MX, thru Canal to Bahamas
Vessel Name: Muirgen
Vessel Model: 50' Beebe Passagemaker
Quote:

Dave, Really enjoyed your post! And I am too nice to mention the fender . . .
slowgoesit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 08:50 AM   #257
Guru

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
Yep, would have been easy. Decent fried chicken, too.

-Chris
Excellent! Good to know for next time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
About halfway south on our last winter trip, we began to leave our forward fenders rigged -- usually for floating dock height -- since we got tired of dock persons changing their mind about which side-to just as we approached.

(Example: We're not in sight yet, but dockmaster says it'll be a stern-to port side tie. As we get closer, he says... uuhhh.... sorry, I meant starboard side-to. Great.)

This year we doubled down on that; six tube fenders, three on each side, always rigged... and with a larger buoy that she can quickly move from one side to the other. (Latter for laying the forward portion of the hull up against a floating dock if necessary.)

The forward fenders are rigged with a cow hitch, so wifey can change heights pretty quickly... and she just brings 'em up onto the deck when we're underway...

This trip, we also worked out a way to secure all the forward dock lines, and a boat hook, up there too... so she doesn't have to schlep stuff back and forth...

-Chris
Quote:
Originally Posted by rslifkin View Post
I leave mine out if I'm in a canal with locks, etc. Otherwise, if I won't need deck access on one side while cruising, sometimes we'll just flip them up onto the side deck so we can just toss them over the rail later instead of carrying them forward to the holders.
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowgoesit View Post
Dave, Really enjoyed your post! And I am too nice to mention the fender . . .
I used to be more particular with my old boat when it came to fender etiquette. I was going a lot faster then, and aside from the added danger of one of them flying off, it just looks terrible when they're all flopping around.

The way these are set up, I just pull them up on the height adjustable mounts so that they're even and well out of the water, and call it good. I have five semi-permanently mounted fenders on each side, and two big balls () that I move around as needed. If I stowed them inboard of the rails, they'd eat up just about all of my walkway, and I'm more than clumsy enough without that. If I wasn't single handing, I might rig up some sort of fender storage back aft somewhere, but for the mean time, this works for me.

I also leave a line ready on every cleat, and boathooks fore and aft.
Old 01-26-2020, 09:40 AM   #258
Guru

City: Southport, FL near Panama City
Vessel Name: FROLIC
Vessel Model: Mainship 30 Pilot II since 2015. GB-42 1986-2015. Former Unlimited Tonnage Master
"Here’s a bit of sacrilege, I usually just leave my fenders out... I know, I’m a maniac."

Well, OK, Dave. Are you thinking ahead about rigging for collisions?

Or maybe it's the merchie sailor in you and the Navy in me. I will admit that for the last several locks going up the Tombigbee WW I leave mine hanging because the locks are only a couple miles or so apart. Shhh, don't tell n me.
rgano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 10:19 AM   #259

City: Baltimore, MD
Vessel Name: Starshine
Vessel Model: 1989 Bayliner 3288
Quote:

You can also go around through the Croatan and Pamlico Sounds when the bridge won’t open. I believe it’s actually a shorter distance.
johnrupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 10:29 AM   #260
Guru

City: Victoria TX
Vessel Name: Bijou
Vessel Model: 2008 Island Packet PY/SP
The Adventures of Sylphide

Your boat is rolling, but not terribly IMO. Here’s a video of me coming back from the Bahamas with my broken mast rolling in much smaller seas than you had I think. My boat is pretty rolly without the sails up.

https://youtu.be/VBC_o7MyTgY

It appears you were going with the waves however. If those waves were on your beam it would have been pretty bad I bet. Have you thought much about installing a paravane rig?
cardude01 is offline   Reply With Quote