Old 09-26-2019, 02:10 PM   #81
Guru

City: Beaufort, NC USA
Vessel Name: Sylphide
Vessel Model: Kingston Aluminum Yacht 44' Custom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miz Trom View Post
Dave:

I've understood for several years that I have a slightly better-than-average writing ability. Been urged by most of my friends to "write a book."

You sir, however, are an extraordinary writer. Your ability to express the desire/joy/fear/worry/relief/struggle/laughter that I have experienced in my 40 years of adult boating, in your first short jaunt as a boat owner, has me in awe.

Every emotion you have expressed has mirrored my own experience as a fellow Boat Nut in the Boat Nut Club. You are a remarkable gem here on TF. Please don't ever stop contributing to this forum, and dammit, don't ever stop being so damn nice!

Cheers,
Pea a.k.a. Mrs. Trombley
Well my goodness, that's awfully kind! Thank you! Here I've been wondering how long until you all get tired of my ranting and raving and vote me off the island... lol.

I've enjoyed your writings as well, which makes your compliments that much more meaningful. I'll stick around as long as you do!
Wayfarer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 02:21 PM   #82
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by MV Wanderlust View Post
LOL You can't ask for more than that, Dave.
I guess that's the whole point, eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post
Well said Ms Pea!
...just don't get him started with polls!!

Dave
Please do keep us updated and entertained.
I'm hoping our wakes cross one of these days.
I'd like that very much!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgano View Post
I too think you have the right attitude about doing this during this particular portion of your life. I remember the delight I felt when after about a year of ownership my GB42 my then-wife suggested we move aboard - and this was at a mooring with me on active duty as a Commander in the US Navy and her fully employed. We did this for three years before solar panels and a lot of other off-grid power gear was easily available. We stored our entire household and later moved it to Florida while we brought the boat overland and 564 miles of GIWW to Panama City. We then moved ashore where I felt a bit dislocated for awhile. Later on I moved back aboard for a couple of years while moored under cover in a local marina and enjoyed it much better than living on a mooring ball. Nowadays, I am content ashore with a boat capable of sustaining us for the short cruising we enjoy. I enjoyed living aboard when I did, but I would not consider doing it again now. Who knows, maybe you will stay aboard into your dotage and spin salty tales to the newbies on your pier for the rest of your life!
Avast ye scurvy loafers! Lay ashore and steer clear of my quay! (translation: Hey you kids! Get off of my lawn!)
Old 09-26-2019, 02:47 PM   #83
Guru

City: Upstate,SC
Vessel Name: Shipoopi
Vessel Model: derilic sailboat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayfarer View Post

Avast ye scurvy loafers! Lay ashore and steer clear of my quay! (translation: Hey you kids! Get off of my lawn!)
That is sig line quote-worthy.

What a pain in the transom.

ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 02:51 PM   #84
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kit_L View Post
Dave, when you get a chance, can you link to the ad that describes Sylphide? She looks similar in some ways to Seabiscuit. Enjoy (and I commented on that YT clip you posted, too).

Best wishes (from the public dock today).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kit_L View Post
Thanks Dave; I look forward to that. Cheers!
Almost forgot! Here's the deconstructed Yachtworld Ad with some of the pictures:

Quote:
Boat Name
Sylphide

Dimensions
LOA: 44 ft 8 in
Beam: 12 ft 6 in
Maximum Draft: 3 ft 6 in
Displacement: 26000 lbs

Engines
Total Power: 85 HP

Engine 1:
Engine Brand: Perkins
Year Built: 1985
Engine Type: Inboard
Engine/Fuel Type: Diesel
Engine Hours: 1000
Propeller: 3 blade propeller
Drive Type: Direct Drive
Engine Power: 85 HP

Tanks
Fresh Water Tanks: 2 (79 Gallons)
Fuel Tanks: 2 (238 Gallons)
Holding Tanks: 2 (39 Gallons)

Accommodations
Number of double berths: 2
Number of cabins: 2
Number of heads: 2

Electronics
VHF
Autopilot
Log-speedometer
Compass
Depthsounder
GPS

Inside Equipment
Electric bilge pump
Electric head
Refrigerator
Fresh water maker
Oven
Battery charger

Electrical Equipment
Shore power inlet
Generator

Outside Equipment/Extras
Electric windlass

Description
Hull material: marine grade aluminum: 5083 1/4 inch plate for the hull and 3/16 for deck and deck house Bottom stringers, topside frames and futtocks, deck beams and all frames are all 1/4 inch aluminum Bottom paint is 2 coats of Devow ABC #1 over 2 coats of Amercoat 235 epoxy which is over 4 coats of Interprotect. There are twenty liters of Devow to cover the bottom with another coat of anti-fouling included.
Above the water line (hull, decks and deck house) was sanded and prepared for 2 coats of PSX 700 epoxy (2011)
Engines:
*Perkins diesel - 4.236, 85 h.p. coupled to a Borg-Warner velvet drive.
Both have under 1000 hours on them. The engine comes with a fuel analysis from Detroit Diesel, since 2004. Cruising speed is usually between 7.5 and 8 knots. Top speed is 9.25 knots. Cruising range 1500 nautical miles with reserve fuel.
running gear: 1 3/4 inch stainless steel shaft, Thorden bearings (life time rated 10,000 hours), Lasdrop shaft-seal (new in 2006) and a 3-bladed 24 x 11 bronze propeller. The drive shaft is isolated from the engine with a “shaft saver” (spare included) in between the coupling.
Spare exhaust hose included
2 fuel tanks (900 liters each) total 1800 liters. Fuel tanks are equipped with a separate fuel cleaning (polishing) system incorporating the Algae-x fuel cleaning system. All filters are 2 micron Racor as is the engine mounted filter.
Generator:
Yanmar 6 kw diesel generator with 123 hours

Accommodations

Interior Layout

Almost the entire interior layout has been changed which reflects the original drawing that were presented to the builder of the hull.
Starting at the bow, inside, one will find the chain locker behind a set of solid teak louvered doors. The chain in contained in a aluminum box draining overboard. These doors are at the foot of a traditional V berth which has access to storage under the mattresses and teak draws in the front face. At the front end of the V berth is a bulkhead and a door which creates the forward stateroom. There are two opening ports with screens and an overhead hatch which is trimmed in painted wood the same as the ceiling. The trim contains a swing screen to match.
The door and the frame to the forward stateroom is solid teak and the hardware is solid brass. Lighting is provided by two brass halogen lights at the head of the V berth and a ceiling light at the foot as well as a light in the chain locker.
Moving aft, there is a hanging locker to port with a teak door and frame with brass hardware to match. To starboard is a desk. This area has an opening hatch and screen to match the stateroom forward. A brass ceiling light is near by.
Aft of the hanging locker is a full size shower, 4 feet long. Inside the Crezone has been covered with fiberglass cloth and epoxy resin. Painted with 3 coats of epoxy paint to match the interior. The shower has an opening port with screen and a light.
Opposite the shower, to starboard, is a two piece powder room with a Vaccuflush Model 558 head and vanity. The vanity has painted cabinet doors beneath and has a granite tile surface and with nickel plated solid brass faucet and stainless steel sink. The floor is finished in a
1 inch heptagon non-skid porcelain tile. The room has an opening screened port and halogen lighting. Access to the wiring for the helm and the hydraulic helm pump is behind an opening in the wall above the head.
All the floors in the forward area, saloon and owners stateroom, except the shower and powder rooms, are finished in a traditional teak and ash strip but it is solid 5/16 inch and glued down with epoxy to 3/4 plywood. When the surface becomes scratched and dull, one can easily sand and re-coat for years to come without worrying about “going through the surface”.
Aft of the shower and washroom is the third bulkhead in the boat. Access to the engine room is through a low door between the shower and washroom when the solid teak stairs are removed.

The Master State Room
At the rear of the saloon and starboard of centre are solid teak stairs which give access to the aft deck through teak doors and a sliding hatch. To starboard of these stairs are stairs down which bring you into the master stateroom suite, passing through the fourth bulk head in the boat.
Immediately to starboard is a hanging locker with teak louvered doors.
next going aft of the locker is a three door cabinet painted white with a teak top and fiddles which matches the cabinet to port.
Against the stern of the hull is the upholstered headboard of a “real queen-sized bed” and matching built in bed side cabinets with teak louvered doors providing more storage. Under the bed is easy access to the hydraulic steering piston and the hydraulic oil filter. Another section under stores several spare parts and various filters. And at the foot of the bed are two large teak drawers for yet more storage.
Lighting is provided with bed side halogen reading lamps and four halogen pot lights in the ceiling. There is also five opening ports with screens as well as an over the bed, opening skylight framed in teak with opening screen.
Opposite the bed is a large five drawer dresser which is recessed into the bulk head shared by the galley up and the engine room. When the draws are removed and a hatch lifted, there is access to the propeller shaft seal. The dresser is finished in while paint and solid brass handles.
Inside the master stateroom, to port, is the second powder room complete with vanity, medicine cabinet and mirror and a second Vaccuflush Model 558, head and it sits on a non-skid porcelain tile floor. There is halogen lighting and a small opening skylight.

Galley
Immediately aft of the navigation table is a 6 cubit foot refrigerator which is cooled by a “cold plate” with a 12 volt compressor in the engine room. This marks the beginning of the galley. All counters are green granite and are finished with solid teak fiddles in the galley and throughout the boat. The galley features a stainless steel Force Ten 2 burner stove and oven surrounded by stainless steel for easy cleaning.
To either side of the stove is 2 banks of drawers to handle cutlery, tools for cooking, pot and pans and extra food storage. Removal of one bank of drawers gives access to the port side fuel tank clean out.
The galley’s “L” shape finishes off with a stainless steel sink, cabinet beneath and cabinets above which hold china, glasses and cups in custom fiddles. The faucet is a nickel plated solid brass. Removing one shelf/tray gains access to the second outside steering helm pump.
Over the six large windows in the saloon are valances which have halogen lighting and space for curtain rods. In the centre of the saloon port and starboard walls are mounted 2 wall sconces.
Lighting is also provided by a large double opening skylight, to catch any breeze at anchor. It has hinged screens of solid teak making a pleasant contrast with the white ceiling. The entire structure can be removed if it were necessary to lift the drive engine out of the boat.
Beneath the skylight directly in front of the sofa stands a fully adjustable (up and down and in and out) drop leaf table which can easily seat 4 comfortably and more when needed.

Electrical
Electrical 120 volt and 12 volt:

Shore power first comes through an isolation transformer (therefore there is no physical connection to the hull from the shore power) then through a main electrical breaker to an automatic selector switch with the generator before going to the main electrical panel. Shore/generator power and inverter power have separate breaker panels. This vessel has a floating ground which means that there is no electrical connection to the hull anywhere.
The Heart inverter/charger (Freedom 25) has a remote panel in the saloon and besides able to charge at 120 amps maximum, controls the high out put alternator on the drive engine.
The battery bank is comprised of 6 deep cycle 6 volt batteries in a box well secured and vented overboard. It has a capacity of 680 amps. 12 power consumption per 24 hour period is approximately 115 amps.
All 12 volt circuits are fuse protected.
All 120 volt circuits are breaker protected. All 120 volt outlets are G.F.I. protected.
All switches for engine starting batteries, house bank and parallel switch between are located in the saloon near the helm.

Electronics
Standard Horizon Spectrum+ VHF radio
Garmin 152 GPS
B&G quad multi function (depth, speed, etc.)

Additional
10' Boatex dinghy
Johnson 3 hp outboard engine
Life sling
All dishes and cutlery in galley
All fire extinguishers and safety required for the vessel
Attached Thumbnails
1985 MetalCraft Custom 44 Motor Yacht Image 1.jpg   1985 MetalCraft Custom 44 Motor Yacht Image 5.jpg   Survey 1.jpg   Survey 4.jpg   1985 MetalCraft Custom 44 Motor Yacht Image 7.jpg  

1985 MetalCraft Custom 44 Motor Yacht Image 17.jpg   1985 MetalCraft Custom 44 Motor Yacht Image 24.jpg   1985 MetalCraft Custom 44 Motor Yacht Image 43.jpg   1985 MetalCraft Custom 44 Motor Yacht Image 28.jpg   1985 MetalCraft Custom 44 Motor Yacht Image 29.jpg  

Old 09-26-2019, 04:22 PM   #85
Guru

City: Southport, FL near Panama City
Vessel Name: FROLIC
Vessel Model: Mainship 30 Pilot II since 2015. GB-42 1986-2015. Former Unlimited Tonnage Master
Quote:
Well my goodness, that's awfully kind! Thank you! Here I've been wondering how long until you all get tired of my ranting and raving and vote me off the island... lol.

I've enjoyed your writings as well, which makes your compliments that much more meaningful. I'll stick around as long as you do!
Sooo, that means WE are stuck with both of you?
rgano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 05:00 PM   #86
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Wifey B: Your story has been wonderful to follow as you've been so open with it all and all your emotions. From when you started thinking, until you saw the boat, and through the purchase process and as you worried and then on the boat with family and the "omg what have I done" and ultimately a lot of pleasure coming your way. Thanks for sharing so honestly and transparently.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 07:06 PM   #87
Guru

City: St Augustine,Fl
what a nice boat! Nice bright interior,clean. Best of luck with her!
Old 09-26-2019, 10:14 PM   #88
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Wayfarer, I think you will do well and enjoy your new found freedom. If not, I have no doubt the very nice boat you now own, will sell far more easily in the USA. My money is on you adapting nicely to the cruising / work cycle.

BTW, you are expected in Fort Pierce in February!

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 07:40 AM   #89
Guru

City: Upstate,SC
Vessel Name: Shipoopi
Vessel Model: derilic sailboat
I would find it hard to walk off that boat. I'd have to get awful hungry and ships stores would have to be complete diminished.

What a pain in the transom.

ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 07:41 AM   #90
Guru

City: Palmetto
Vessel Name: Wanderlust
Vessel Model: 1999 Jefferson Rivanna 52'
Dave, you've got yerself a fine boat there! Best of luck with her.
JohnEasley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 12:30 PM   #91
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgano View Post
Sooo, that means WE are stuck with both of you?
Condolences

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Wifey B: Your story has been wonderful to follow as you've been so open with it all and all your emotions. From when you started thinking, until you saw the boat, and through the purchase process and as you worried and then on the boat with family and the "omg what have I done" and ultimately a lot of pleasure coming your way. Thanks for sharing so honestly and transparently.
Thanks for listening! I'm really glad people enjoy following along. I enjoy writing about all the shenanigans, it helps me organize my brains, and having you all around for support has been absolutely invaluable. I've learned so much here, and you've all done so much to keep me grounded. Hopefully my syphilitic ramblings will be helpful to someone else some day, or at least good for a read.

Quote:
Originally Posted by O C Diver View Post
Wayfarer, I think you will do well and enjoy your new found freedom. If not, I have no doubt the very nice boat you now own, will sell far more easily in the USA. My money is on you adapting nicely to the cruising / work cycle.

BTW, you are expected in Fort Pierce in February!

Ted
Thanks Ted, I appreciate the vote of confidence! I choose to remain optimistic If all goes according to plan, I'll be in the neighborhood in February, and would love to drop in for the festivities. I'll have to remember to bring a lamp shade to wear on my head.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben2go View Post
I would find it hard to walk off that boat. I'd have to get awful hungry and ships stores would have to be complete diminished.
How else can you admire her beauty from a distance??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor of Fortune View Post
what a nice boat! Nice bright interior,clean. Best of luck with her!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MV Wanderlust View Post
Dave, you've got yerself a fine boat there! Best of luck with her.
Thanks guys! I'm sure I'll need as much luck as I can get.
Old 09-27-2019, 01:19 PM   #92
Guru

Well, I'm back to work on the big boat for the next four weeks. In the mean time, I'll have to make do with gazing longingly at this webcam footage.

Once I'd gotten Sylphide all laid up at Coeymans, I headed back to central NY to deposit my dad, and to get myself ready to head back to work. I was also in town for my cousin's wedding, which was an absolute blast. We all had a great time. At one point I even found myself wearing the bride's hair extensions. Not sure how that happened.

After the wedding, I didn't have anything at all to do for a couple of days, and I decided that that was probably a good thing. After all of my harried activity for the previous three and a half weeks, it would be good to just be lazy for a couple of days, right?

Well... not so much. It took almost no time at all to find myself slipping into my old bad habits. Staying up stupidly late, sleeping in, eating too much junk food, spending hours and hours on the couch just mindlessly absorbing 'content,' and just generally being a lazy slob. It's a very slippery slope, and at the bottom of that slope is a hole, a bleak, dark, deep hole, that's shaped like a 3XL shirt. A hole in which I've wasted far too much of my time. I realized that I'm really excited to get back to the boat for the next leg of the adventure. More excited than I've been about anything in ages. I don't remember the last time I was excited to see my house.

I know it won't be some kind of magic bullet or miracle cure for what ails me, and I know that there will be many days when I'm frustrated with it, but I do think that living aboard and cruising full time will be good for me in many ways. It's given me purpose, direction, and something to look forward to. It feels good.
Old 09-27-2019, 02:20 PM   #93
Guru

Wifey B: Happiness is looking forward to what is next.
Old 09-29-2019, 08:21 PM   #94
Guru

City: Thibodaux, Louisiana
Vessel Name: Gumbo
Vessel Model: 2003 Monk 36
She really looks great! Congratulations!
Old 09-29-2019, 10:32 PM   #95
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
She really looks great! Congratulations!

Thank you sir! I still have monk 36 envy.
Old 09-30-2019, 06:55 AM   #96
Guru

City: Palmetto
Vessel Name: Wanderlust
Vessel Model: 1999 Jefferson Rivanna 52'
Quote:
Well, I'm back to work on the big boat for the next four weeks. In the mean time, I'll have to make do with gazing longingly at this webcam footage.

Once I'd gotten Sylphide all laid up at Coeymans, I headed back to central NY to deposit my dad, and to get myself ready to head back to work. I was also in town for my cousin's wedding, which was an absolute blast. We all had a great time. At one point I even found myself wearing the bride's hair extensions. Not sure how that happened.

After the wedding, I didn't have anything at all to do for a couple of days, and I decided that that was probably a good thing. After all of my harried activity for the previous three and a half weeks, it would be good to just be lazy for a couple of days, right?

Well... not so much. It took almost no time at all to find myself slipping into my old bad habits. Staying up stupidly late, sleeping in, eating too much junk food, spending hours and hours on the couch just mindlessly absorbing 'content,' and just generally being a lazy slob. It's a very slippery slope, and at the bottom of that slope is a hole, a bleak, dark, deep hole, that's shaped like a 3XL shirt. A hole in which I've wasted far too much of my time. I realized that I'm really excited to get back to the boat for the next leg of the adventure. More excited than I've been about anything in ages. I don't remember the last time I was excited to see my house.

I know it won't be some kind of magic bullet or miracle cure for what ails me, and I know that there will be many days when I'm frustrated with it, but I do think that living aboard and cruising full time will be good for me in many ways. It's given me purpose, direction, and something to look forward to. It feels good.
You do write well, Dave!

The good feeling you get from the purpose and direction is one I share. With only a handful of years to go, I had no idea what I was going to do in retirement. Directionless. Quite literally, rudderless. A few years ago, my wife and I were on an anniversary trip to Key West, walked past some liveaboards in a marina, and everything clicked into place with a clarity rarely experienced. We found our direction. ...and it came with a rudder. Now on our second and final boat, we're less than a year and a half from being on the water full time and we're so excited about the future. Right there with you, brother.

John
JohnEasley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 10:06 PM   #97
Guru

Well, after something like six weeks away, I finally returned to Sylphide today. It was a busy day right off the bat. I loaded up all the junk I’d ordered while I was at work. I put together my new 65 pound Mantus anchor, removed the old shower valve to size for replacement, removed the old hailing port of Kingston from the transom, and made some new friends.

Tomorrow I attempt to rebuild on today’s destruction. Hopefully I can source and install a new shower valve, place the new hailing port on the stern, remove the old anchor and install the new, and lay in some provisions for the trip south.

I’m one of just a handful of boats still floating around here. Most of the marina is all snuggled up in shrink wrap. The water to the docks is shut off, and the power will be shut off on Monday. I’m hoping to leave Monday morning. It’s going to get down into the 30’s for the next few nights. Thankfully the heat is working beautifully, and I’ve got more blankets than sense.

Looking forward to the adventure!
Old 11-02-2019, 07:49 AM   #98
Guru

City: Hernando Beach
Vessel Model: Seaway
Where are you headed, Dave? South?

BTW, before I logged on, I clicked on the marina webcam to see your boat, and lo and behold, at 8:43 a.m. (eastern time) I saw you walk down the dock and board your boat. Big smile.

Cheers,
Mrs. Trombley
Miz Trom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 12:56 PM   #99
Guru

City: Southport, FL near Panama City
Vessel Name: FROLIC
Vessel Model: Mainship 30 Pilot II since 2015. GB-42 1986-2015. Former Unlimited Tonnage Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miz Trom View Post
Where are you headed, Dave? South?

BTW, before I logged on, I clicked on the marina webcam to see your boat, and lo and behold, at 8:43 a.m. (eastern time) I saw you walk down the dock and board your boat. Big smile.

Cheers,
Mrs. Trombley
Then he is obviously doing everything exactly right!
rgano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 03:48 PM   #100
Guru

Wifey B: One of three remaining there, until Monday Morning.