^^^ Or a loose and/or dirty connection.

Old 09-17-2019, 08:53 PM   #62
Guru

City: Rochester, NY
Vessel Name: Hour Glass
Vessel Model: Chris Craft Catalina 381
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayfarer View Post
Well, after a marathon of ELEVEN locks today, Sylphide, Dad and I arrived in Waterford. That’s a record number of locks for me, and one I’m not keen to break any time soon. We’ve officially done the length of the Erie Canal.
That ties the record for the most locks I did in a day on my trip. Definitely makes for a long day.

In my case, I was at flat-out delivery pace after fixing a transmission that blew 4 hours into the trip (stripped the teeth of a stationary plate in a velvet drive reduction unit), so the canal run was Haverstraw (on the Hudson) -> Schenectady (11 hours from fuel dock to fuel dock, 7 locks) -> Ilion (10.5 hours, 11 locks) -> Phoenix (10.5 hours, 5 locks) -> Oswego (4 hours, 7 locks) and then a wait for better weather on the lake. In other words, with no non-lock delays and minimal wait times at the locks, it's entirely possible to do the eastern half of the Erie and up the Oswego canal in 3 days. We hit Waterford at 2 PM on a Thursday and were in Oswego at 11 am on Sunday

rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 09:17 PM   #63
Guru

City: SchoolHouse Branch
Rubber boats are also known as condom craft.

Rowboat design has long history with much effort expended. Refinement for efficient use of human power was motivated by pain from rowing. Appreciate a good rowboat.

Congrats again on Sylphide and the adventure.
Boat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 09:19 PM   #64
Guru

La Sylphide (English: The Sylph; Danish: Sylfiden) is a romantic ballet in two acts. There were two versions of the ballet; the original choreographed by Filippo Taglioni in 1832, and a second version choreographed by August Bournonville in 1836. Bournonville's is the only version known to have survived and is one of the world's oldest surviving ballets.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 09:29 PM   #65
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Our tops was 9, locks 7-15.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 06:09 AM   #66
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in Crisfield, MD
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
I don't remember how many I did in one day (somethings are better to forget), but mine were uphill on the Erie canal, and I did them all SOLO! The "Flight of 5" out of Waterford was a rude introduction to what was ahead!

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 07:01 AM   #67
Veteran Member

City: Little River, SC
Vessel Name: Memory Lane
Vessel Model: Pacemaker 40 Motor Yacht
I made the trio from Haverstraw on the Hudson to Rochester NY on Lake Ontario in October of 1990. Fall colors all the way. It was a beautiful 12 day trip.
Cliff Meima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 12:50 PM   #68
Guru

City: Oneida Lake, NY
Vessel Name: Sylphide
Vessel Model: Kingston Aluminum Yacht 44' Custom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boat View Post
Rubber boats are also known as condom craft.

Rowboat design has long history with much effort expended. Refinement for efficient use of human power was motivated by pain from rowing. Appreciate a good rowboat.

Congrats again on Sylphide and the adventure.

And some of those rowboats are stunning to behold, too. I think the stability of those condoms is more valuable to an ass as big as mine, lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rslifkin View Post
That ties the record for the most locks I did in a day on my trip. Definitely makes for a long day.

In my case, I was at flat-out delivery pace after fixing a transmission that blew 4 hours into the trip (stripped the teeth of a stationary plate in a velvet drive reduction unit), so the canal run was Haverstraw (on the Hudson) -> Schenectady (11 hours from fuel dock to fuel dock, 7 locks) -> Ilion (10.5 hours, 11 locks) -> Phoenix (10.5 hours, 5 locks) -> Oswego (4 hours, 7 locks) and then a wait for better weather on the lake. In other words, with no non-lock delays and minimal wait times at the locks, it's entirely possible to do the eastern half of the Erie and up the Oswego canal in 3 days. We hit Waterford at 2 PM on a Thursday and were in Oswego at 11 am on Sunday

Thatís rough. Iím so glad Iím past the time restrictions of the canal. I can finally slow down and relax a little.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Meima View Post
I made the trio from Haverstraw on the Hudson to Rochester NY on Lake Ontario in October of 1990. Fall colors all the way. It was a beautiful 12 day trip.

I imagine it was beautiful. October cruising in upstate NY is lovely. Itís chilly, but crisp and really pretty. A lot of folks miss out and call it a season at Labor Day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Our tops was 9, locks 7-15.
Thatís more than plenty!

Quote:
Originally Posted by O C Diver View Post
I don't remember how many I did in one day (somethings are better to forget), but mine were uphill on the Erie canal, and I did them all SOLO! The "Flight of 5" out of Waterford was a rude introduction to what was ahead!

Ted

I was lucky enough to have my dad aboard as crew for the locks. I havenít had to single hand any yet, but I will have to eventually. Thatíll be interesting with this big bear.
Wayfarer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 02:19 PM   #69
Guru

We made it to Coeymans Landing on the Hudson yesterday afternoon. The staff here are very helpful and accommodating, and they have the nicest bathrooms Iíve seen since I left my house. I was going to pull Sylphide out and leave her on the hard while Iím away at work, but I decided that I donít really need to pull her just yet, so here she floats for the next month.

Iíve been burning the candle at both ends for about three weeks. Between packing up the house, downsizing, jumping through all the bureaucratic hoops to get the boat, all the suspense with the sale, moving aboard, and finally transiting 400 and whatever miles at nearly delivery speed, all in close proximity with my family on a boat that I just donít know very well yet, I havenít had a minute to relax.

Well when I got to the dock last night, I was feeling pretty good, so I decided I was going to troubleshoot the volt meter issue. I opened up the dash and within seconds, all of my gauges went dead. Nothing on any of them. I looked at the nest of wires that lives behind my instrument cluster and just had no idea where to start. I just felt so incredibly helpless and small.

At that moment, it hit me. The weight of all of of the drastic life changes that Iíve made in the last month all caught up with me at once. I suddenly felt very tired, very lonely, and very far from home. At that moment, I desperately wanted to just revert back to the comfort of familiarity. I wanted to go home so badly. But this is my home now. Good god, what have I done!??

I decided to set the gauge cluster back down, and walk away. I sat down on the settee, ate some cookies, and spent an hour on the phone with a good friend. I really just needed someone to tell me that itís all going to be okay, that I wasnít crazy, and to forget about boat stuff for a little while.

Iím very relieved to say that after a really good nightís sleep, and no travel or anything at all planned for today, I feel about 97% better. I puttered around with a few projects, got the mast back up, and did some troubleshooting with shower plumbing. Jimmy the service guy stopped down, and after about 30 seconds had replaced the fuse that brought my instruments back to life, free of charge.

The sun is out, I got a few wins today, and Iím feeling a little closer to home again.
Old 09-19-2019, 02:43 PM   #70
Guru

City: North Carolina
Vessel Name: SCOUT
Vessel Model: Great Harbour N37
Quote:
The sun is out, I got a few wins today, and Iím feeling a little closer to home again.
Awesomeness.
m/v SCOUT Projects Page
boathealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 05:55 PM   #71
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
I decided to set the gauge cluster back down, and walk away. I sat down on the settee, ate some cookies, and spent an hour on the phone with a good friend. I really just needed someone to tell me that itís all going to be okay, that I wasnít crazy, and to forget about boat stuff for a little while.

I would never be so bold as to suggest you aren't crazy. You did just buy a boat after all. However, is the kind of crazy that I think will work out really well for you.

I am sure there will be more times when you will feel a bit overwhelmed. They will pass. From a distance, it sure looks like you are doing a great job tackling this new adventure.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 07:09 PM   #72
Guru

City: Southport, Florida
Vessel Name: FROLIC
Vessel Model: Mainship 30 Pilot II since 2015. GB-42 1986-2015. Former Unlimited Tonnage Master
Send a message via Skype™ to rgano
"At that moment, it hit me. The weight of all of of the drastic life changes that Iíve made in the last month all caught up with me at once. I suddenly felt very tired, very lonely, and very far from home. At that moment, I desperately wanted to just revert back to the comfort of familiarity."

Guess what, shipmate? You will soon enough be as comfortable and as familiar with the boat as you ever were (more actually) at what was formerly "home." And you will never, ever forget that fuse.
rgano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 07:28 PM   #73
Guru

Sounds like "late onset buyers remorse",complicated by changing residence. Change, complicated by small frustrating issues you would normally shrug off as insignificant. Big changes can be stressors, recognize that,understand what is happening, and you will cope. An hour on the phone to a good friend helped, there`s a hint, keep doing it. And posting here.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 11:18 PM   #74
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post
I would never be so bold as to suggest you aren't crazy. You did just buy a boat after all. However, is the kind of crazy that I think will work out really well for you.

I am sure there will be more times when you will feel a bit overwhelmed. They will pass. From a distance, it sure looks like you are doing a great job tackling this new adventure.

So far so good. After having spent the last few days back at the olí dirt home, Iím quite relieved to say that I really miss the boat, and Iím really looking forward to getting back aboard her. Iím feeling more confident that Iíve selected the correct variety of crazy for this particular portion of life.
Old 09-25-2019, 11:20 PM   #75
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgano View Post
"At that moment, it hit me. The weight of all of of the drastic life changes that Iíve made in the last month all caught up with me at once. I suddenly felt very tired, very lonely, and very far from home. At that moment, I desperately wanted to just revert back to the comfort of familiarity."

Guess what, shipmate? You will soon enough be as comfortable and as familiar with the boat as you ever were (more actually) at what was formerly "home." And you will never, ever forget that fuse.

You got that right. One fuse learned, 950 more to go, lol.
Now that Iím effectively living out of a suitcase when Iím at the house, the boat is already becoming the more comfortable option.
Old 09-25-2019, 11:26 PM   #76
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
Sounds like "late onset buyers remorse",complicated by changing residence. Change, complicated by small frustrating issues you would normally shrug off as insignificant. Big changes can be stressors, recognize that,understand what is happening, and you will cope. An hour on the phone to a good friend helped, there`s a hint, keep doing it. And posting here.

Iíve had a few waves of buyers remorse pass over me like rogue waves over the deck. The worst one was the night I moved aboard, a few hours after the money had cleared my bank account. A most unpleasant sensation of Ďoh no... what did I do??í

Thankfully a good nightís rest did wonders with that round as well.
Old 09-26-2019, 02:21 AM   #77

City: St. Petersburg, Florida
Vessel Name: Mariso
Vessel Model: 43-ft American Boatworks custom
Dave:

I've understood for several years that I have a slightly better-than-average writing ability. Been urged by most of my friends to "write a book."

You sir, however, are an extraordinary writer. Your ability to express the desire/joy/fear/worry/relief/struggle/laughter that I have experienced in my 40 years of adult boating, in your first short jaunt as a boat owner, has me in awe.

Every emotion you have expressed has mirrored my own experience as a fellow Boat Nut in the Boat Nut Club. You are a remarkable gem here on TF. Please don't ever stop contributing to this forum, and dammit, don't ever stop being so damn nice!

Cheers,
Pea a.k.a. Mrs. Trombley
Miz Trom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 05:33 AM   #78
TF Site Team

City: Seneca Lake NY
Vessel Name: Bacchus
Vessel Model: MS 34 HT Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miz Trom View Post
Dave:

You sir, however, are an extraordinary writer. Your ability to express the desire/joy/fear/worry/relief/struggle/laughter that I have experienced in my 40 years of adult boating, in your first short jaunt as a boat owner, has me in awe.

Every emotion you have expressed has mirrored my own experience as a fellow Boat Nut in the Boat Nut Club. You are a remarkable gem here on TF. Please don't ever stop contributing to this forum, and dammit, don't ever stop being so damn nice!

Cheers,
Pea a.k.a. Mrs. Trombley
Well said Ms Pea!
...just don't get him started with polls!!

Dave
Please do keep us updated and entertained.
I'm hoping our wakes cross one of these days.
Bacchus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 07:48 AM   #79
Guru

City: Lakeland
Vessel Name: Wanderlust
Vessel Model: 1999 Jefferson Rivanna 52'
Quote:
Iím feeling more confident that Iíve selected the correct variety of crazy for this particular portion of life.
LOL You can't ask for more than that, Dave.
MV Wanderlust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 09:10 AM   #80
Guru

City: Southport, Florida
Vessel Name: FROLIC
Vessel Model: Mainship 30 Pilot II since 2015. GB-42 1986-2015. Former Unlimited Tonnage Master
Send a message via Skype™ to rgano
I too think you have the right attitude about doing this during this particular portion of your life. I remember the delight I felt when after about a year of ownership my GB42 my then-wife suggested we move aboard - and this was at a mooring with me on active duty as a Commander in the US Navy and her fully employed. We did this for three years before solar panels and a lot of other off-grid power gear was easily available. We stored our entire household and later moved it to Florida while we brought the boat overland and 564 miles of GIWW to Panama City. We then moved ashore where I felt a bit dislocated for awhile. Later on I moved back aboard for a couple of years while moored under cover in a local marina and enjoyed it much better than living on a mooring ball. Nowadays, I am content ashore with a boat capable of sustaining us for the short cruising we enjoy. I enjoyed living aboard when I did, but I would not consider doing it again now. Who knows, maybe you will stay aboard into your dotage and spin salty tales to the newbies on your pier for the rest of your life!

rgano is offline   Reply With Quote