The Adventures of Sylphide

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks gents!

Here’s a bit of sacrilege, I usually just leave my fenders out... I know, I’m a maniac.
Love the new avatar with the hooters hanging out. It’s perfect.
You were patient and found yourself the perfect boat. I hope you stop by here on your travels. Sail on Bro.

Dave, I personally think your fender (hooter) discipline with them all hanging at the same level is excellent. HOWEVER, my preference would be to have fewer and larger fenders because sometimes high winds can squash those lil sausages.

About stickers. Well, the conundrum you face is once stuck, they are "expended" as the Naval Supply Corps says. You could gin up a nicely varnished board to stick them to and hang it proudly, umm, wherever. We aboard Calypso and Frolic like to collect the commemorative refrigerator magnets (CRMs). We put our CRMs proudly on our, you guessed it, our reefer. When we sold Calypso, one of the few things we kept were our CRMs which now occupy a place of honor on the side of our house reefer.

You were patient and found yourself the perfect boat. I hope you stop by here on your travels. Sail on Bro.

Yep, that's the first thing I noted about the avatar. If you've GOT them, FLAUNT them! Works for the thingies hanging off the rail of your boat as well.:D

Dave, I personally think your fender (hooter) discipline with them all hanging at the same level is excellent. HOWEVER, my preference would be to have fewer and larger fenders because sometimes high winds can squash those lil sausages.
When I see a boat with fenders hanging while underway, I wonder if that's a reflection of their boat handling skills (not the OP of course) :angel: :rolleyes: :hide:.

Ted

"Sanitary fish market" has been around for a while. I use to eat there in the 1980s when bringing scuba groups to Morehead city. Known to be extremely clean, zero frills, plain tables with straight back chairs. The fish is fresh; service is quick; price is a bargain. There was always a line out front at dinner time, waiting to get in.

Ted

Y'see, that's judging a book by it's questionable title gets you! I'll have to check it out on the way back up. I'll probably tie up over in Morehead next time anyway. I guess I'll have to get a dungeon burrito now, too.

Hahahahahaha, hooters, that's fantastic. I love it, hahaha...

About stickers. Well, the conundrum you face is once stuck, they are "expended" as the Naval Supply Corps says. You could gin up a nicely varnished board to stick them to and hang it proudly, umm, wherever. We aboard Calypso and Frolic like to collect the commemorative refrigerator magnets (CRMs). We put our CRMs proudly on our, you guessed it, our reefer. When we sold Calypso, one of the few things we kept were our CRMs which now occupy a place of honor on the side of our house reefer.

That's right! I'll leave my hooters out, but only if they're straight and even! I've got to have some self respect, right? I'm a classy broad.

I'm still running the hooter (lol, I love that so much... hahah) setup that the PO had. I dunno what I would have come up with on my own, but so far this is working well enough for me.

Speaking of CRMs (you Navy types sure do love an acronym, dont you?) I had a gaggle of magnetic picture frames that I brought with me, intending to transplant them onto my new reefer. Turns out there isn't a single surface on this boat that's magnetic. I could probably stick them to the engine, but that's about it. They're in the basket with my stickers, lol.

Yep, that's the first thing I noted about the avatar. If you've GOT them, FLAUNT them! Works for the thingies hanging off the rail of your boat as well.:D
:rofl::rofl:

When I see a boat with fenders hanging while underway, I wonder if that's a reflection of their boat handling skills (not the OP of course) :angel: :rolleyes: :hide:.

Ted

Especially if they're dragging in the water, or flying all over the place. 'Look at this idiot!' haha

Greetings,
Mr. W. "...that people enjoy reading!" Yep but I'm havin' a mite bit of quizzin' with some of the bigger werds....

200.webp

Also, yes, the new avatar. I was getting jealous of all of the boat stickers I've seen plastered on lock walls and marinas 'n' stuff, so I decided to get me one. I asked my graphic designer sister to craft one up for me, and this work of art was the product of her labors. I love it intensely. It's perfect in every way. It will be the logo on my blog page if I can figure out how to post one, and the stickers are already ordered. I can't wait to slap em around! The stickers, not the hooters.

I told my sister that y'all were giving me a ribbing about my fenders being out, and she says you can all go suck eggs! lol

xoxoxox

I have to admit that when I am around tight berths, other craft, and general milling around relatively crowded waterways, I leave fenders out both sides, too—but mostly so I can stop and have a chat with someone I know going the other way. Before crossing the bar, all get pulled inside; there's plenty of room on the walkways. No fenders hanging out at sea. Works for me.

Also, yes, the new avatar. I was getting jealous of all of the boat stickers I've seen plastered on lock walls and marinas 'n' stuff..
..even a phone number or two? Great avatar, very impressive! Keep the adventure stories coming Dave.

Hahahahahaha, hooters, that's fantastic. I love it, hahaha...

That's right! I'll leave my hooters out, but only if they're straight and even! I've got to have some self respect, right? I'm a classy broad.

I'm still running the hooter (lol, I love that so much... hahah) setup that the PO had. I dunno what I would have come up with on my own, but so far this is working well enough for me.

Speaking of CRMs (you Navy types sure do love an acronym, dont you?) I had a gaggle of magnetic picture frames that I brought with me, intending to transplant them onto my new reefer. Turns out there isn't a single surface on this boat that's magnetic. I could probably stick them to the engine, but that's about it. They're in the basket with my stickers, lol.

:rofl::rofl:

Especially if they're dragging in the water, or flying all over the place. 'Look at this idiot!' haha

They’ll be draggin in the water as she gets older.

Pssst... somebody needs to tell Dave that by the time he gets to south Florida it will be about time to turn around and head back north.

(We call it "chasing 72° up the coast.")

(That's 22.22° for our Celsius friends.)

Then again, I can't wait to read Dave's description of the Florida heat, humidity, no-seeums, mosquitos, and weekend warriors on the ICW.

Cheers,
Mrs. Trombley

Pssst... somebody needs to tell Dave that by the time he gets to south Florida it will be about time to turn around and head back north.

(We call it "chasing 72° up the coast.")

(That's 22.22° for our Celsius friends.)

Then again, I can't wait to read Dave's description of the Florida heat, humidity, no-seeums, mosquitos, and weekend warriors on the ICW.

Cheers,
Mrs. Trombley

I think by the time I get to Florida, it’ll be this time next year, lol.

I got such a late start, and have been moving at such a... relaxed pace, that my sights are much more reasonably set on Charleston now.

I think I’ll put up a mailbox there for about a month, and really get to know the place. I’ll just head north from there.

72 sounds positively luxurious! I’ve probably averaged 45 on this trip so far [emoji33] On the plus side, it’s been super easy to find quiet anchorages and open transient slips. I also haven’t had to worry about sunburn, or keeping ice in the cooler, or anything wanting to bite me or drink my blood, which is pretty great too. Winter cruising has its perks.

Last edited:
72 sounds positively luxurious! I’ve probably averaged 45 on this trip so far :eek: On the plus side, it’s been super easy to find quiet anchorages and open transient slips. I also haven’t had to worry about sunburn, or keeping ice in the cooler, .or anything wanting to bite me or drink my blood, which is pretty great too. Winter cruising has its perks.

Wifey B: We use to cruise on the lake in the winter. Anytime it hit 50 degrees that was cruising weather. In desperate times we went colder. We closed the boat up, had a heater, and enjoyed the beauty and peace. Some days we'd only see bass boats. Other times the lonely cruiser bundled like us. I remember in figuring out our sea time that we averaged 3 days in January. Not much, but broke the winter up and we always enjoyed them. We'd be the only boat at the marina and sometimes have to get the manager from his house. One marina even would hand hubby the keys, we'd fuel, run our card and put it in the register, and lock up and return his keys. One day another boat pulled up and asked if we were open. We fueled him and sold him snacks too. The owner said he thought we got lost. Hubby told him, "Well, I had customers to serve." :lol:

Keep those lose CRMs up by the compass where you can admire them.:rolleyes::facepalm:

Y'see, that's judging a book by it's questionable title gets you! I'll have to check it out on the way back up.

Now why on earth would you do a thing like that (go back up) when you could stay JASDIPing with the rest of us down heah?

Cheers,
Mrs. Trombley

I say again: AC was invented to preserve intelligent life forms in the South.

Or as a take off on the old artillery office's adage, there is no problem so big that it cannot be overcome with a sufficient amount of air conditioning (ordnance if you are a trained killer like me).:socool:

Now why on earth would you do a thing like that (go back up) when you could stay JASDIPing with the rest of us down heah?

Okay, I'll bite... what's JASDIPing?

Jumping Around Suspiciously In Public?

Journaling Amidst Several Donkeys Inconveniently Parked?

Jerks Asking Stupid Doorknobs If Pineapples?

Jogging against singular dystopian idiotypes.

Jaywalking amongst sheriffs deputies infirmities?

Gee whiz Mr. W. could be anything.

Jams and sausages do indie paintings?

Jobs are silly distractions I perceive?

Jews are super duper interesting people?

Okay, I'll bite... what's JASDIPing?

Jumping Around Suspiciously In Public?

Journaling Amidst Several Donkeys Inconveniently Parked?

Jerks Asking Stupid Doorknobs If Pineapples?

You see how far you yankees have strayed from the true path?:banghead:

Jimmy Buffet sang it our word for word in Jamaica Mistaica, just another shtty day in paradise. Oops, forgot a vowel in there. Now if you are wondering who that is, well, stick a fork in you cuz, brother, you're done!:)

I told my sister that y'all were giving me a ribbing about my fenders being out said:
Yes, MA'AM, how many, where and when?

Back
Top Bottom