Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 10-14-2012, 08:08 PM   #1
Guru
 
boatpoker's Avatar
 
City: Port Credit
Country: Ontario
Vessel Name: DIRT FREE
Vessel Model: Benford Fantail 38
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 2,011
55' boat from Dominican to Great Inagua

Like some opinions on best route (east or west) running a 55' power boat cruising up to 20knots from Boca Chita in Dominican Republic to Great Inagua at this time of year..
Thanks
__________________
Advertisement

boatpoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 06:10 AM   #2
FF
Guru
 
FF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 16,529
55' power boat cruising up to 20knots

Get a high limit on a number of credit cards and bring about $10K cash for the cash only places.

A guess would be only a few hundred miles between filling stations , so a good plan will be required.

Plan B would be 7K cruise for 3 or 4 times the range.

Depending on the boat , and sea state the ride at 7K may SUCK!
__________________

FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 06:47 AM   #3
Guru
 
boatpoker's Avatar
 
City: Port Credit
Country: Ontario
Vessel Name: DIRT FREE
Vessel Model: Benford Fantail 38
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 2,011
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
55' power boat cruising up to 20knots

Get a high limit on a number of credit cards and bring about $10K cash for the cash only places.

A guess would be only a few hundred miles between filling stations , so a good plan will be required.

Plan B would be 7K cruise for 3 or 4 times the range.

Depending on the boat , and sea state the ride at 7K may SUCK!

Route ?
boatpoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 08:47 AM   #4
Guru
 
Moonstruck's Avatar
 
City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 7,849
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
Route ?

I have never done or contemplated doing the trip, but the people I have met that have done it had gone down through the Exumas to the Turks and Caicos Islands. Then jumped from there to the Dominican Republic.

Good luck.
__________________
Don on Moonstruck
Sabre 42 Hardtop Express & Blackfin 25 CC
When cruising life is simpler, but on a grander scale (author unknown)
http://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 10:30 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
Vyndance's Avatar
 
City: Ventura, CA
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Vyndance
Vessel Model: 48 Californian CP
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
Like some opinions on best route (east or west) running a 55' power boat cruising up to 20knots from Boca Chita in Dominican Republic to Great Inagua at this time of year..
Thanks
Assuming you mean Boca Chica, East at the end of November. I don't believe Haiti is a place you want to visit.
Vyndance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 10:56 AM   #6
Guru
 
Moonstruck's Avatar
 
City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 7,849
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonstruck View Post
I have never done or contemplated doing the trip, but the people I have met that have done it had gone down through the Exumas to the Turks and Caicos Islands. Then jumped from there to the Dominican Republic.

Good luck.
Scratch my previous. I read it as Boca Chita (as in Boca Chita Key) to the Dominican Republic. I have no idea where you are going.
__________________
Don on Moonstruck
Sabre 42 Hardtop Express & Blackfin 25 CC
When cruising life is simpler, but on a grander scale (author unknown)
http://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 07:29 PM   #7
Guru
 
Steve's Avatar
 
City: Thibodaux, Louisiana
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Gumbo
Vessel Model: 2003 Monk 36
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 3,607
Boca Chica is on the south coast not far, east if I remember right, from Santo Domingo the capital.
Steve W
__________________

Steve is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:09 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012