31' Semi-Displacement Trawler from Seattle to Florida

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've found out this trip is called the Big U. There is an organization that documents these trips and there are different levels of completion. Seattle to Florida I think is the Silver level.

I'm not sure which is more impressive- Big U or Great Loop. But I'm thinking that there will be bragging rights that will be hard to top if you you leave from Seattle!

I'm personally leaning toward shipping the boat because mine is too small for such a long journey without undue fatigue.

But I am also known for sucking things up and just doing something anyway after I've tormented myself with all the reasons I shouldn't.

My main rule will be NEVER challenge the weather. And I will have to do short runs to not force errors from being tired and weakened as a result.

I presume you did your journey on your Helmsman. How did it handle? If things work out, we will be purchasing our boat in WA. and plan to spend considerable time around Puget Sound and then boat south along the coast, eventually ending at our residence in Florida. We will be looking at the Helmsman and Bracewell and curious about your evaluation of the boat.

you could always ship it to Minneapolis and head down the Mississippi from there instead of shipping it all the way to FL.

I have never heard of the Big-U. My wife and I are going to Seattle end of June to look at the Bracewell and Helmsman. Thats what caught my original attention was your Helmsman. We were also considering boating down the coast then shipping from San Diego to the Gulf to complete our Journey to Florida. We're still in the fact finding stage since she has 18 months until she retires. Very anxious to hear your decision.
Frank

I have never heard of the Big-U. My wife and I are going to Seattle end of June to look at the Bracewell and Helmsman. Thats what caught my original attention was your Helmsman. We were also considering boating down the coast then shipping from San Diego to the Gulf to complete our Journey to Florida. We're still in the fact finding stage since she has 18 months until she retires. Very anxious to hear your decision.
Frank

There is a book, available from Amazon on Kindle, on the Big U. Very much underappreciated option. We took what I'd call a Super U as we went to Alaska before starting down. We did stop at Fort Lauderdale but other times have done the East Coast. We have only one section we still feel is needed to complete it and that is from Boston, to Maine and then up and around and down the St. Lawrence to Montreal and on to Lake Ontario.

Comparing Big U to Great Loop.

Inland cruising vs offshore cruising. The boating on the Great Loop is much easier and the trip is shorter.

Great Loop you get to see all of the Eastern US and all the beauty and diversity. Big U you get the West Coast. From Washington to San Diego has incredible cities we loved seeing, but from a cruising standpoint doesn't compare to the East Coast.

However, on the Big U, you get to experience more of the world, more countries, more unique environments and cultures. As different as areas of the Great Loop are, picture a continuum of some sort and the Great Loop has 1-7 but all of 8-10 are also available on the Big U. There are experiences available on the Big U that just aren't there on the Great Loop.

The Big U can be challenging boating wise in that it may require some overnight cruising. It also becomes expensive as you pay for the Panama Canal and you pay to clear into each country. There are boats I'd do the Great Loop in that I wouldn't try the Big U in. On the other hand, many boats on the Big U can't do the Loop.

Some of the adventure of either depends on where you've traveled before. For the Great Loop, we'd traveled the East Coast, we'd traveled the gulf coast, even had been on the TN River once, but we'd never been to any of the Great Lakes or the Mississippi or even the Erie or to Niagara Falls or Toronto.

Now, for the Big U, we'd never been anywhere on the West Coast, never had traveled to Mexico or any of the other countries we hit so that was all new. And when I say traveled, we hadn't been to those places by land or water.

Thing is there is so much to see and so little time. You just choose what fits your style and desire.

Also depends on number of people. If there were only two of us aboard, the Great Loop is far more conducive to a nice pleasurable trip than the Big U is. We had the benefit of extra crew on the Big U that makes a huge difference.

you could always ship it to Minneapolis and head down the Mississippi from there instead of shipping it all the way to FL.
That isn't half a bad idea. Though I don't recall Minneapolis having a facility to launch a trawler. St Paul has at least one IIRC.

That isn't half a bad idea. Though I don't recall Minneapolis having a facility to launch a trawler. St Paul has at least one IIRC.

And I don't understand quite what that would be accomplishing. Certainly no great pleasure in coming down the Mississippi. Perhaps ship to Chicago or Ohio and then go Great Lakes to Erie Canal and down. What is your air draft? What is your East Coast target? By shipping it only half or 2/3 the way you will not save as much as you might think.

Heading down from Long Beach California to Florida starting in November on our 34 mainship ht

Last edited:
Heading down from Long Beach California to Florida starting in November on our 34 mainship ht

Nice!

What are your planned fuel stops down the Baja Peninsula? Turtle Bay is almost 300 miles, and then Mag Bay is another 250 miles. IIRC, the Mainship carries 250 gallons.

Are you carrying bladders?

I met the owner of a North Pacific 45 recently in the great lakes. He took delivery of the boat new in southern BC, cruised up to Alaska and back, then had it shipped as deck cargo to Ft Lauderdale and cruised north from there.

Nice!

What are your planned fuel stops down the Baja Peninsula? Turtle Bay is almost 300 miles, and then Mag Bay is another 250 miles. IIRC, the Mainship carries 250 gallons.

Are you carrying bladders?

the HT version actually has a 300 gallon tank.
I have been running the boat on long runs and checking fuel consumption, i am getting at 7 knots (what most sailboats are doing) 1.4 gph that would be 300 div 1.4 would be 214 hours giving a range of over 1500 miles.
Cabo is around 900, you could get fuel at Mag bay or Turtle or even Cedros island if you wanted.
i plan on 6 TO 11 stops to Cabo depending on weather

Once into ocean swells fuel burn rises. From Seattle to SoCal a good fuel consumption rate in open water will spring forth.

Once into ocean swells fuel burn rises. From Seattle to SoCal a good fuel consumption rate in open water will spring forth.

most of my trips have been to catalina 26 miles out, san clemente over 50 miles out, and down hill and back up to san diego that covers most of what i should run into. :popcorn:

and even if i run a bit harder lets say 2.5 gph, that would be 120 hours or 1200 miles. most of the fuel usage people report on mainships are at 12 to 15 knots running at 80% to 90% loads im not in that big of a hurry

Exactly.

I'd cut the projected rage by 1/3, as you'll run into swells, wind, and current that will eat into the speed. As you have a few stops already planned, you should be fine.

I have seen numbers as bad as 1.5 gallons per nautical mile in big swell and as good as .925 gallons per nautical mile in the calm PNW waters. That is a 50% change from optimal to worst case. Puts a lot of credence behind Pau Hana’s claim to add a 1/3.

and even if i run a bit harder lets say 2.5 gph, that would be 120 hours or 1200 miles. most of the fuel usage people report on mainships are at 12 to 15 knots running at 80% to 90% loads im not in that big of a hurry

Atun, have you made any longer trips than to the islands off SoCal? Any bluewater experience? Is the boat ready?

Reason I ask is that you may be well served to make the trip south as part of the Baja Haha rally- they are well organized, and there is safety in numbers....

Baja Ha-Ha Cruisers Rally: Sailing from San Diego to Cabo San Lucas

Registration closes soon!

My buddy and his wife just signed up for the Baja ha ha today.
They are taking their Helmsman 37 down to the canal, and then doing the Great loop.

Atun, have you made any longer trips than to the islands off SoCal? Any bluewater experience? Is the boat ready?

Reason I ask is that you may be well served to make the trip south as part of the Baja Haha rally- they are well organized, and there is safety in numbers....

Baja Ha-Ha Cruisers Rally: Sailing from San Diego to Cabo San Lucas

Registration closes soon!

I have done the same trip as far a puerto vallarta to bring down a couple of fishing boats with bladders.
so im familiar with this part of the trip but this time im not running and gunning

All this talk about the Panama Canal and no one mentioned Rich aboard Dauntless. I believe he came over from the UK to the Caribian and down to the Panama Canal. Then up around Baja and on to SoCal where he is currently birthed. He is headed to Alaska and points west in Asia. He is a member here.

https://dauntlessatsea.com/

the HT version actually has a 300 gallon tank.
I have been running the boat on long runs and checking fuel consumption, i am getting at 7 knots (what most sailboats are doing) 1.4 gph that would be 300 div 1.4 would be 214 hours giving a range of over 1500 miles.
Cabo is around 900, you could get fuel at Mag bay or Turtle or even Cedros island if you wanted.
i plan on 6 TO 11 stops to Cabo depending on weather

Andrew
The quoted fuel burn #'s seem very optimistic based on published performance info and personal experience for the same boat.

I have not done extensive / detailed fuel burn tests but my exoerience roughly agrees with these data points.

Attachments

• Mainship Performance.pdf
    92.8 KB · Views: 43
Back
Top Bottom