Old 01-02-2020, 10:08 PM   #101
Veteran Member

City: Dana Point
Vessel Name: Reef Madness
Vessel Model: Mikelson 43 Sport Fisher
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken E. View Post
Mike, my wife and I are very interested in the Viking river trips. I'm presently checking ouf their itineraries and plan to go in the next year or so. Sounds like you were impressed with their operation. Tied up at a dock each night?

A little tip.. if you book the Viking Cruise through Costco, when we booked they got us the “drink Package” included and gave us a Costco credit card with about 10 % of the cost of the trip credit to use in the store when we returned.
The Costco booking agents really looked out for our interests when Viking changed the sail date and we had to rebook on a different ship and our cabin choices weren’t available. The cost of the upgraded cabins were reduced because of Costco buying power.
Painless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 10:17 PM   #102
Guru

City: Sarasota,FL/Thomasville,GA
Vessel Name: Steppin Stone IV
Vessel Model: Marine Trader Kelly Trawler 46
Between my 9 trips to Europe this year ( work) we plan to move the boat to St Marks ,FL and just some local trips then next year to Eleuthera
Old 01-03-2020, 12:49 PM   #103
Guru

City: Rockport
Vessel Name: Ana
If all goes well with my project boat I'm headed south down the ICW in the fall, how far south I have no idea but it'll be as far from snow as I can get.
Fish53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 08:16 PM   #104
Guru

City: Victoria TX
Vessel Name: Bijou
Vessel Model: 2008 Island Packet PY/SP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish53 View Post
If all goes well with my project boat I'm headed south down the ICW in the fall, how far south I have no idea but it'll be as far from snow as I can get.

Is that your boat in your avatar? If so, what is it? Looks cool.
cardude01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 05:59 AM   #105
Guru

City: Rockport
Vessel Name: Ana
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardude01 View Post
Is that your boat in your avatar? If so, what is it? Looks cool.
It's a wooden eastern rig trawler, a fishing vessel I worked on about a hundred years ago, it would make an interesting pleasure trawler though.
Fish53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 10:47 AM   #106
Guru

City: Bellingham WA
Vessel Name: Hatt Trick
Vessel Model: 45' Hatteras Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Painless View Post
A little tip.. if you book the Viking Cruise through Costco, when we booked they got us the “drink Package” included and gave us a Costco credit card with about 10 % of the cost of the trip credit to use in the store when we returned.
The Costco booking agents really looked out for our interests when Viking changed the sail date and we had to rebook on a different ship and our cabin choices weren’t available. The cost of the upgraded cabins were reduced because of Costco buying power.
Good to know. I had no idea Costco booked Viking cruises. Thanks for the tip.
Old 01-06-2020, 02:50 PM   #107
TF Site Team

City: Westerly, RI
Vessel Name: N/A
Vessel Model: 1999 Mainship 350 Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by menzies View Post

My wife is the only other "immediate" family member as she is an only child of the aunt's sister.
I hate to break it to you, Aunt/Niece is NOT Immediate family. It is Extended Family. At this point, you're really doing it for your wife's cousin (also not immediate family).

You are clearly a better person than I am. I'd send a card and proceed with my plans. You only live once, and I refuse to live mine based on the priorities of others'.

But then again, you're not me either. Enjoy whichever trip you choose to take.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 03:26 PM   #108

City: Snohomish
Vessel Name: Toki
Vessel Model: Ranger 27
A 2 week trip to Desolation Sound and back in June. Other than that, just weekend and extended weekend trips around the San Juans and Gulfs.

Unlike many of you, I still have one of those job thingies that interferes with my boating!
Toki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 05:29 PM   #109
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrew View Post
I hate to break it to you, Aunt/Niece is NOT Immediate family. It is Extended Family. At this point, you're really doing it for your wife's cousin (also not immediate family).

You are clearly a better person than I am. I'd send a card and proceed with my plans. You only live once, and I refuse to live mine based on the priorities of others'.

But then again, you're not me either. Enjoy whichever trip you choose to take.
Wifey B: We have those in our family that we'd drop anything to do something for them like this. I applaud Menzies.

Now, as to family definition. there is no concrete definition of "immediate family" and some definitions do include aunts, uncles and cousins. Immediate family is only defined in specific laws in some states or countries, such as inheritance law, and specific policies such as bereavement or insurance.

Now, we really stretch these definitions. We claim as our mother and father, and yes as husband and wife we claim the same ones, people to whom we have no blood relationship. In fact, we're not related by blood to any of our family. We have a "daughter" we didn't meet until her high school graduation.

It gets "worse" as you might see it. Our niece, Aurora, the daughter of the daughter of the couple we claim as our parents, has redefined it all beautifully. There's a girl her age in South Florida she first met when they were three and this girl is firmly and without question her "cousin." Furthermore all the people she's met at our house, all the girls from 18 to 30 are "cousins." She actually had a little debate with her kindergarten teacher and she clearly had heard this from her mom as she said "I refuse to be limited by conventional rules."

Point is, if Menzies calls someone immediate family, then they are that to him, and unless we're in some legal discussion, he can determine who he considers immediate. I praise that there are people in his life he'll put above cruising.

BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 06:47 PM   #110
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: SONAS
Vessel Model: Grand Alaskan 53
Before you all put me up for sainthood I should mention that, while we are going, I am bitching about this to everyone we meet!
menzies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 09:10 PM   #111
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by menzies View Post
Before you all put me up for sainthood I should mention that, while we are going, I am bitching about this to everyone we meet!
Wifey B: Why bitch about something you're choosing to do?
Old 01-06-2020, 11:36 PM   #112

City: San Francisco
Vessel Name: Couple’s Retreat
Vessel Model: 2019 North Pacific 45
Hoping to explore the San Francisco Bay Area river delta. Have not been there yet. Work/travel demands don’t allow any more at this time.
jimdavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 12:44 AM   #113
Veteran Member

City: Portland
Vessel Name: Hot Tuna
Vessel Model: 2002 American Tug 23 #24
We will tow our tiny 2901 Striper up to Olympia and splash at Swantown. Then we'll meander up the South Sound, San Juans, Gulf Islands and Desolation Sound for a month or so. Gonna take it slow this year. Last year we cover all this plus The Broughtons. Wanna slow down, which is hard for me. Relax damn it!
Pdxstriper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 04:22 AM   #114
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Ms. WB. Re: post #111: "Why bitch about something you're choosing to do?" Hahahaha....Try and think about this from a MARRIED man's perspective. Mr. m has NO choice.

After this dose of reality, back to travel plans...

Old 01-07-2020, 07:45 AM   #115
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: SONAS
Vessel Model: Grand Alaskan 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Wifey B: Why bitch about something you're choosing to do?
Because it winds her up!
menzies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 08:53 AM   #116
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings,
Ms. WB. Re: post #111: "Why bitch about something you're choosing to do?" Hahahaha....Try and think about this from a MARRIED man's perspective. Mr. m has NO choice.

After this dose of reality, back to travel plans...
Wifey B: No choice is always a lame excuse people use. There's always a choice, just consequences to some. Choose and quit your bitchin'.
Old 01-07-2020, 09:02 AM   #117
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Since you seem to be able to do as I suggested ie: "Try and think about this from a MARRIED man's perspective." It is completely pointless for me to comment on this further. You will never understand. Are you blonde?
Old 01-07-2020, 10:52 AM   #118
Guru

Quote:
Greetings,
Since you seem to be able to do as I suggested ie: "Try and think about this from a MARRIED man's perspective." It is completely pointless for me to comment on this further. You will never understand. Are you blonde?
Wifey B: Of course, you know I'm blonde and proud to be.

I do understand. There is always a choice. Clearly there is based on the number of divorces. Just seems that once one chooses, continuing to complain serves no purpose. I don't grasp women complaining about their husbands or men complaining about their wives. In my generation the perspective of married man and married woman are largely the same. There isn't the "little woman" attitude or the "Admiral" or any of that. Equal in all ways. Decisions in life are mutual.

And blondes have more fun.

And blondes are more fun
Old 01-07-2020, 10:58 AM   #119
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Quote:
Greetings,
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Wifey B: Of course, you know I'm blonde and proud to be.

I do understand. There is always a choice. Clearly there is based on the number of divorces. Just seems that once one chooses, continuing to complain serves no purpose. I don't grasp women complaining about their husbands or men complaining about their wives. In my generation the perspective of married man and married woman are largely the same. There isn't the "little woman" attitude or the "Admiral" or any of that. Equal in all ways. Decisions in life are mutual.

And blondes have more fun.

And blondes are more fun
When it comes to the "married man perspective ", it worse than it seems, blind in one eye and blonde in the other.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 11:42 AM   #120
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by O C Diver View Post
When it comes to the "married man perspective ", it worse than it seems, blind in one eye and blonde in the other.

Ted
Wifey B: Not blonde in eyes. They're blue.

But then so are hubby's. Maybe that's the key, both have blue eyes.