2020 Cruising, Where are you going?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

O C Diver

Guru
Vessel Name
Slow Hand
Vessel Make
Cherubini Independence 45
2020 is just around the corner. If you're cruising next year, you're probably have your plans already made. It could be a trip to Fort Pierce to the TF rendezvous, a couple of weeks on the St Johns river or the Great Loop. Always fun to hear about where people want to cruise and why.

I'm headed North April 1st. Plan to spend Memorial day on Martha's Vineyard, MA. Heading up the Rideau canal in July. The Richelieu river and Lake Champlain in August. Then back South crossing the Florida line by November 1st. That's the plan anyway.

So where are you going?

Ted

Palm Coast cruise mid January.

Cruise to St Augustine for Valentines dinner on the 14th and then Willie Nelson at the Amphitheater on the 15th.

Planning on heading down the ICW early Apil after our South America vacation.

If supplies are still needed in Abaco we will stop off there first. Then run through Spanish Wells, Eleuthera, Little San Salvador, Cat, south Exuma with an eye on getting to the T&Cs if we have a good weather window. Otherwise we will do a few of the far Bahamas islands we have not yet visited and then Andros, before heading back by the end of June.

Multiple family commitments July through September, then maybe a late summer's trip to Charleston.

This will be our second year in a row without taking three weeks off work during the summer for a cruise...we’ll be staying in town again while our daughter works to help pay for her second year in college.

Retiring next fall, so will have more extensive cruising plans for the 2021 thread!

Will probably spend a month or so in late fall 2020 farting around Douglas Channel and Gardner Canal close to home on BC’s north coast after retiring.

Last edited:
No big plans for next year, but we're debating between 2 possible trips: heading out to the Thousand Islands for a week or 2 and checking out the Antique Boat Museum in Clayton or doing the western half of the Erie Canal out to Buffalo and back (we'd probably do an out and back instead of returning through the Welland Canal).

We haven't made the decision yet, but it'll be based on a few things, mostly how much time can we get off work in one shot (and which trip fits that time better) and whether we end up adding a dinghy to the stable (would be nice for the Thousand Islands, particularly if we bring the dog, while it wouldn't matter for the canals).

Anywhere else we go would likely be a long weekend not too far from home. Unfortunately, we've only got so much vacation time and fuel budget at this point in life.

Starting from Poulsbo WA in mid May, we'll be cruising BC and SE Alaska through September.

We go out for three day weekends about once a month or so. These are often spontaneously-planned trips. We're currently planning a voyage down to the Keys (from the Tampa area) in April but my daughter is getting married in Michigan in May so that could cause things to shuffle around a little.

Our plans are to leave JAX and head to the Berry Islands for April and May. At that time of the year the fronts are starting to diminish and the fishing is lighting up. Hopefully Santa will bring the new fishing rod I've been dropping hints about.

Departing 1st part of May heading north to Northern BC. Not sure if we will make it SE Alaska this year.

Palm Coast cruise mid January.

Cruise to St Augustine for Valentines dinner on the 14th and then Willie Nelson at the Amphitheater on the 15th.

Planning on heading down the ICW early Apil after our South America vacation.

If supplies are still needed in Abaco we will stop off there first. Then run through Spanish Wells, Eleuthera, Little San Salvador, Cat, south Exuma with an eye on getting to the T&Cs if we have a good weather window. Otherwise we will do a few of the far Bahamas islands we have not yet visited and then Andros, before heading back by the end of June.

Multiple family commitments July through September, then maybe a late summer's trip to Charleston.

I look forward to reading about your cruise to the far south islands of the Bahamas. The Raggeds, Cat Island etc. are in our near future.

Our big trip is to leave for The Bahamas in early July, spend some time volunteering in the Abacos, then on to Spanish Wells, maybe some on Eluthera if we have time then The Berrys, then back to West End GB and home through the St. Lucie Inlet.

Will be moving my new boat from Ft. Myers, FL where it will be bought in just 5 more days, to Shelter Cove on Hilton Head Island, SC. The same person who helped me move my Nordhavn EXACTLY ten years ago (his birthday falls on both trips) on a 67 day, 24/7 trip from Dana Point, CA to Bayfield, WI will be with me on this trip which will be quite a bit more relaxed. Only a couple of 24 hour runs. Then my wife and I, with guests, will be enjoying the South Carolina/Georgia area in March. Our plans were to go to the Bahamas, but then we took a very quick three day trip, including flights from and back to Minneapolis, to see Shelter Cove Marina and fell in love with it and the environs. In July I will pre-position the boat to Manhattan where we will be met by friends and head for Nantucket. We love Nantucket. Our plans were to continue to Bar Harbor, but we will put that off for maybe 2021. And then back to Shelter Cove in SC.

Mid May departure, North Coast Of BC again this year.

I look forward to reading about your cruise to the far south islands of the Bahamas. The Raggeds, Cat Island etc. are in our near future.

We did Cat, Long and Little San Salvador (Half Moon Cay) last year. Long was by far the most interesting of the three, especially the amazing caverns.

We are scheduled to go the TF meetup in February if the boat repairs are finisjed, then possibly head to GTC Bahamas in May to see if we can help do anything, bring supplies, etc.

Then in June we are thinking about heading up the east coast to get out of the hurricane zone. Don’t really know where to go, but we do know we are tired of hurricanes. Maybe the Chesapeake area? How long does it take to get there from Stuart Fl, and where to dock the boat once there? I know less than zero about that area.

Our return trip to the Chesapeake will start in March, 2020. No details mapped out yet, but maybe this time we'll focus on places we haven't yet been to along the way.

Then after that, probably the normal "local" destinations we enjoy...

Then in June we are thinking about heading up the east coast to get out of the hurricane zone. Don’t really know where to go, but we do know we are tired of hurricanes. Maybe the Chesapeake area? How long does it take to get there from Stuart Fl, and where to dock the boat once there? I know less than zero about that area.

I think there was a recent thread about Chesapeake, especially Annapolis, possibilities. Tom and Bess B? Have a look...

But then if that doesn't solve it, maybe start a new thread and probably several folks can offer tidbits of info and opinion.

-Chris

We are scheduled to go the TF meetup in February if the boat repairs are finisjed, then possibly head to GTC Bahamas in May to see if we can help do anything, bring supplies, etc.

How long are you planning to stay up north? And do you want to work your way north until it's time to head back south or head north and sit for a while? In my book, that would help determine how far you want to go.

Our return trip to the Chesapeake will start in March, 2020. No details mapped out yet, but maybe this time we'll focus on places we haven't yet been to along the way.

Then after that, probably the normal "local" destinations we enjoy...

I think there was a recent thread about Chesapeake, especially Annapolis, possibilities. Tom and Bess B? Have a look...

But then if that doesn't solve it, maybe start a new thread and probably several folks can offer tidbits of info and opinion.

-Chris

I will check out that other thread and then possibly start another one if that doesn’t help me.

As far as as time there, I was thinking about staying north until storm season is done then come back down. Kind of like OC Diver does maybe? We don’t like the cold however so leaving to come south in October might be too cold for us.

Day 181 so far this year, Continuing to cruise the Sea of Cortez until April/May. Haul the boat for the summer/hurricane season and yard work. Back on the boat in Sept/Oct to prepare for trip down the Mexican coast and maybe thru the Canal early 2021.

Cheers

Leaving for SE AK late May, returning late September. Operating out of Juneau this year. Will be looking for Dream Catcher, ASD, Salish Nomad and the other usuals up there. We will miss you, Crusty! :thumb:

Last edited:

Stuart to mid Chesapeake Bay is atleast 2 weeks, 3 to 4 is comfortable, you can't see it all in a lifetime. If you're starting in June, the offshore weather is settling down and you will have opportunities to go offshore and sail. :confused: Seriously, there are a number of inlets along the coast that would allow you to get in nice days of sailing, and then duck back inside. Gulfstream is also going your way North bound.

October 1st is a good time to head South, before it gets cold and pretty much after hurricane season.

Finding a home base for the summer is really contingent on what you want to do, how close to an airport you need to be, and how much you want to spend.

Ted

Here are the posts from our trip to The CB from and back to JAX. Just click on "next post" at the bottom to keep reading.

Chesapeake! The Outside Run – With a Ton Of Fun Along The Way! | AtAnchor.com

In late spring/early summer we will leave from Columbus MS on the TennTom. We plan to cruise up to Pickwick Lake and continue north where the TN meets the Cumberland River. Then cruise northeast to Nashville, then back to Columbus. Then in early Oct start the LOOP departing south from Columbus :thumb:

Leaving mid-June. Down the Columbia to the Pacific, up the coast, turn to stbd at the Straits of Juan de Fuca to Seattle. Then we'll spend the rest of June, July, August and September visiting ports in the South Sound, up through the San Juans to Canada. We'll hit the high spots (Chatterbox Falls, Prideau Haven, Blind Channel Resort, etc.) and all the small ports and anchorage spots along the way.

I figure we'll cover about 2,000 miles before we start home somewhere around the end of September or early October. By the time we're done we'll have logged about 2500 miles.

Leaving mid-June. Down the Columbia to the Pacific, up the coast, turn to stbd at the Straits of Juan de Fuca to Seattle. Then we'll spend the rest of June, July, August and September visiting ports in the South Sound, up through the San Juans to Canada. We'll hit the high spots (Chatterbox Falls, Prideau Haven, Blind Channel Resort, etc.) and all the small ports and anchorage spots along the way.

I figure we'll cover about 2,000 miles before we start home somewhere around the end of September or early October. By the time we're done we'll have logged about 2500 miles.

Have fun Mike, hope you guys have a great trip. Go easy on the Admiral, so she will wanna come back again.

Cheers

Here are the posts from our trip to The CB from and back to JAX. Just click on "next post" at the bottom to keep reading.

Chesapeake! The Outside Run – With a Ton Of Fun Along The Way! | AtAnchor.com

Ahh yes, that’s what I want to do, weather permitting of course— cruise outside. Catch the Gulf Stream current and hopefully have some wind to keep the boat steady. But I’m a big chicken when it comes to inlets, so anything sketchy would scare me off.

I don’t mind doing an overnight, and I think I can talk my lovely bride into that if we are close enough to land and not too many oil rigs to dodge. She’s still not a fan of losing sight of land.

Most of those "inlets" are not really inlets. But pretty easy sounds; St Simon's, Tybee and Calibougue into Hilton Head, Charleston, Georgetown. Into Southport (Cape Fear) and Beaufort (Morehead City) I guess are inlets - but pretty safe. After that you are inside.

Nothing like some of the Florida east coast inlets.

BTW, the gulf stream will be of no help. It is over 80-100 miles out at the stage. But, no oil rigs out there!

Last edited:
Still debating going to the west coast of Florida or the keys or both mid Feb thru Mid March. Heading North up ICW in April and May. Back to our slip in Toms River NJ for the Summer.

Making our first long trip in 2020 departing Southport, NC late April heading to Boston where we'll stay for a few weeks. Looks to be right at 1,000 statute miles. Planning to be back in Southport mid July.

Wifey B: First apologize for using what we consider a dirty word but we're going to "fly" (that's the dirty word) to Italy in mid January and spend about a month. :D

We'll do a lot of short cruising to the Bahamas and along the coasts but our major trip for the year is currently planned as:

24 weeks of cruising spread over 33 weeks of calendar in the Caribbean, focusing mostly on Eastern but perhaps detouring to Panama, Jamaica and Cayman Islands right before heading home. Details not yet planned out. :D

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom