2011 Delta Excursion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FlyWright

Guru
Site Team
Vessel Name
FlyWright
Vessel Make
1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Not exactly a trawler long distance journey, but I got out last week for 7 days and 7 nights on the CA Delta with my brother, Mark, from MI.*** What was intended as a week of catching turned out to be a week of fun and cruising.*

We headed for the marina a couple of hours after he landed in Sacramento.* After spending the night in the marina loading and cleaning, we headed out Saturday morning, headed for Rio Vista and points north.* Rumors of sturgeon stacking up in Cache Slough turned out to be erroneous, but we enjoyed plying the waters of the Deep Water Channel, Cache, Prospect, and Miner Soulghs for the first 3 days.* The wind was relentless, but we found good protection just off Miner Slough near the south end of Prospect Island.

Tues night we headed into Delta Marina in Rio Vista to duck out of the wind, empty the holding tank and join up with an angler friend on Wed AM.* We spend Wed fishing in Broad Slough, Chain Island, Montezuma Sough and Horseshoe Bend before calling it a day and returning to Delta Marina just before dark.*

All we hooked into by this time are a few undersized stripers and some catfish.* Not even a strugeon nibble.

Thursday we spent most of out time north of the RV bridge along the east bank and on the Sacramento between Vierra's and Isleton.* We got a respite from the wind, but no change in our hookup ratio!*

We decided to swing back by the Delta marina late Thurs afternoon to top off on fuel before settling in for the night.* Since we had lots of time this week, we had been trying reduced power settings and part-time single engine operation during the week to save fuel.* The result was a 28% reduction in our fuel consumption with a 1.5 kt (19%) loss of speed.*

We headed out of the wind in 3-mile Slough, but couldn't buy a bite, so we called it a day as the dinner hour approached.* We tied up to the Outrigger dock thinking they were closed, but were surprised to find the harbormaster/restaurant owner present.* So we ponied up for an overnight stay ($0.50 per foot) and enjoyed their electrical hookups for the night.*

We made it home on Friday midday without any further fishing.* We ended up with a week on the water high on memories, but low on catching.* But I'd rather that than the other way around.* It was great to be able to spend another week on the water with a brother who shares my love for all things boating and fishing.*

In all, we covered 124 miles in 20 hrs 24 minutes of cruising.* We spent 7 days and 7 nights on the water with 4 nights at anchor and 3 nights tied to a dock.* Using 30 lbs of dry ice and 3 frozen one-gallon water jugs, we kept our food and bait frozen for 5 days and very cold through the 7th day.* In fact, there was still mostly ice in the jugs when we left the boat on Friday evening.* We threw shad, eel, pile worms, nightcrawlers, and sardines.* We ate like kings, laughed like hyenas, drank like fish and slept like babies.*

I can't wait until next year when our other brother wants to join us!!* (He can have the top bunk!)

I'll close with a few pics from the week and a link at the end to a photobucket slideshow for those so inclined.*

Heading out for the start of our trip
img_3930_0_47a2c5d3483a990bf8de23105f748eec.jpg

The new ferry, real McCoy II north of RV
img_3930_1_87180d9d6b824edf50a118d2f7f8b35e.jpg

Tucked away for the night in Miner Slough
img_3930_2_55b44c60e1c8bd2b64d647977c2509e5.jpg

Mark strikes first with this killer striper
img_3930_3_34c8da511ed6940d45fa510fb9e4e4a7.jpg

Not to be outdone, I fight back with this monster cat!
img_3930_4_9e62e262fe300abdf7bf79d4cc433452.jpg

Then it turns into a cat fight!!
img_3930_5_2f443b6dda0200c3627c3ebe173ddd7d.jpg

img_3930_6_02b4f8d12d35a9bc694d4f4e1f792643.jpg

Those little cats can really put up a fight!*
wink.gif

img_3930_8_29fb299566cd5dc865b787c5b142218d.jpg

We woke up in the main channel of Miner Slough with these two guys hanging onto our anchor chain.* (12 in round, 10-12 ft long)
img_3930_9_76b70906d5b3a02179ec618d2958bc3e.jpg

Showing off some new spreader and cockpit LED lights
img_3930_10_5d14e2e1f7a2a8d11d3494c30892fd61.jpg

img_3930_11_69b60c616c603736504a89ac35591ed2.jpg

Fisean showing us how it's done! (Hey, at least it's a striper!!)
img_3930_12_99fc30b411c07201aa4ecbc2228c84bd.jpg

"Slipper Fishing" at its finest!!
img_3930_13_e159a8f2f35834cb84b2187118d2d8e8.jpg

When the weather gets bad, there's always "Indoor Fishing"
img_3930_14_d20e892699d965a8131e2e2a9de8afd1.jpg

The obligatory sunset shot
img_3930_15_cb32a18d1e0b62c4412c29c3a0d04bc8.jpg

Here's the link to the slideshow of all the shots.

http://s124.photobucket.com/albums/p21/akroeger/2011 CA Delta Excursion/?albumview=slideshow

Sounded like fun.** ....* Did you see much other floating trees and debris (lots of rain this year)?* ...* Those free car-ferry rides are neat.

Your legs still look pale on this forum as well as the other.
cowboy.gif

Just kidding my friend- still looks awesome and glad you posted it here on TF where everyone speaks the same language!! ;)

LOVE IT.* I was laughing out loud at the captions on the fish photos.* Looks like you guys had a BLAST.

What restaurants have piers for patrons in*the Delta?* Last time I cruised there (some thirty years ago), I had the best beer-battered prawns ever tasted but have forgoten the restaurant's name and exact location.* Which of those restaurants has the best now?

Old Stone, Fortunately we were not counting on our catch for food. We ate well in spite of our lack of catching.

Markpierce, Love your new avatar, but it sure makes your new boat look small!! Yes, there was a lot of debris floating down the Miner Slough and the Sacramento. Prospect and Cache Sloughs and the Deep Water Channel were clear.

Restaurants with docks that immediately come to mind: Riverboat (at my marina on the Mokelumne River/Delta Loop), Humphrey's (Antioch), The Point (Rio Vista), Outrigger( 3 Mile Slough), Tower Park Marina (Terminous), Lighthouse (Mokelumne River), Happy Harbor and Spindrift in the San Joaquin River/Delta Loop, Garlic Brothers (Fourteen Mile Slough), and, probably the most famous, Guisti's on the Mokelumne River. Here's a more complete list: http://www.sacdelta.com/dir/food/restaurants/

I'd have to say the best food today on the delta today is Happy Harbor on the Delta Loop/Brannan Island Rd. It's a little dumpy looking restaurant with food that's out of this world and at great prices. The management will even deliver the food to your boat or send a car to pick you up from an area marina and take you back. Very good business practices, nice folks, good food and prices...a winning combination. I think the weekend steak and lobster special is $20 or prime rib $15. http://www.deltaloop.com/happy.html

Woodsong, Sorry for the reruns. I'm going to have to start photoshopping a tan on my legs before posting pics on sites you frequent. Ya know....come to think about it, it seems like you're spending a lot of time looking at my legs. Hmmmmmm... I'll dress 'em up for you next time!! ;) How's that engine room rehab going? Haven't seen any pics yet...

FlyWright wrote:
Markpierce, Love your new avatar, but it sure makes your new boat look small!!
*Thanks for the info.* ...* We*should keep in mind how small/vulnerable*our boats really are.* Carquinez Coot* looks well-protected in the self-popelled*barge's "pocket."* Luv that photo!* ...* My Coot will be leaving China May 8 on this vessel (named Cypress):

FlyWright wrote:
Markpierce, Love your new avatar, but it sure makes your new boat look small!!
*A closer, more detailed view:

img_50036_0_d9e51e4f39aaf3e4a60ebce60f846777.jpg

Yah, that new avatar adds new meaning to nice little boat.*
biggrin.gif

Just make sure they didn't pop in under the grain loader on the way down the river.
They have plenty of space in the hold for more cargo.

Benn

Back
Top Bottom