Old 09-01-2014, 02:30 PM   #1081
Guru

City: South FL
Vessel Name: Oliver
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 47 Hull# 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPseudonym View Post
Well from the comfort of my arm chair I can only postulate that it must be easy to remember as they're so few. Oddly you're the first ocean crosser I've read about here on this forum. Am sure there's more but they seem shy about it. Out of the 500 Nordhavn's sold thus far I honestly wonder how many have travelled 1,000 miles in a single hop even once? I'd hate to think a million plus and 3,500 mile range is being wasted coastal cruising these new boats.

I'm currently following a Russian gentleman on Facebook who is attempting to sail a San Juan 24 around the world. Haven't logged into cruiser forum to see what the experts there have to say about his antics thus far but can only imagine.

What's his name?
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
N4712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 02:53 PM   #1082
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wxx3 View Post
What joke? That was the plan!

I wanted one, but when I looked, I thought it not worth the price. I had a small one made for a 20' boat, which i figured would be better thank nothing in a pinch.
Also, I'd read enough sailing books that I would come up with something.

i think one of the lessons learned here is that we can not anticipate everything and have to trust that we can make do.

Part of that is my learning curve.

I started reading everything I could about power boats after Beebe's book and of course, I ran out of stuff to read pretty soon. A lot of it was written by Nordhavn mavens and their basic message is you need to have two of everything and if something breaks have an extra one shipped to you by charter plane. Expense, if you have to ask, you shouldn't own a Nordy.

That message even prevails on this forum once in while. How many folks asked me about my get home engine? Pretty much the attitude was, you can't go anywhere without two engines. I say was, because I think this trip has increased the possbilietes for many folks out there.

So, anyway, after a few months, I finally realized that If I wanted more information about crossing oceans I better read books/stories written by sailors.

Wow. Now here was the opposite. Just when I thought I needed two of everything, these sailors come along they need zero of zero.

watermaker? we'll collect rain water.
electric toilet? we have a bucket (if that)
food? we'll catch a fish and if not have 500 cans of something in the bilge
radar? We don't need no stinkin radar
chartplotter? the sun comes up in the east doesn't it? what else do you need to know?

And every three days, they would wake up to water in their cabin and then spend the next two days drying everything.

Man they were tough. I was impressed; we decided that we wanted to be somewhere in between.

We think we managed that.

P.S. For the two engine crowd out there that would never take such a trip in a single engine. Next time you fly over the atlantic, check out the type of plane your on. If it's an ETOPS model, you may want to figure out what that really means.
We've read a ton of books of those crossing and circumnavigating. And the sailors you've read. Now, even though we have and prefer twin engines, I never thought of the single engine as a big deal. Biggest problem people have is fuel and that hits the same, one or two.

A lot is personal risk tolerance and financial in determining what to do. I'd never consider what many of the sailors do. Hopefully then not join the group of sailors having to get rescued at sea. Most of them don't write a book, although have read one and then we had the fisherman who floated across taking 13 months or something.

So single engine never bothered me. I could and would not do it single handed as I know I'd worry myself the entire time plus I don't trust my sleeping as you did. I would have added a bit more fuel. You scared me a bit there. But otherwise the things you did were within a realm of risk I could handle. You trusted the boat and your ability. I never worried about that aspect with you.

And doing it as you would or even as we will one day, there's risk. But then there's risk sitting at the marina. Everyone we talk to thinks our future plans to cross are stupid. Everyone says, "Ship the Boat." I'm sure you encountered a lot of those looks and comments from friends and acquaintances. What they don't understand is our desire to experience a crossing. While I'm sure you'd change a couple of things next time, I also am sure that crossing was a thrill and you're glad you did it. Maybe we're like the chicken just wanting to get to the other side. But I think it's more the experience along the way.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 03:44 PM   #1083
Guru

City: Long Beach, CA
Vessel Name: Heads Up
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 42 Classic
I truly enjoyed the trip. You are a gutsy captain sir, and one I admire. I too, think a Single engine is plenty given proper maintenance and spare parts.

Looking forward to seeing you taste some Single malt.
Capthead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 04:42 PM   #1084
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by N4712 View Post
What's his name?
Sent you a pm to avoid a thread jack

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 05:40 PM   #1085
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPseudonym View Post
Sent you a pm to avoid a thread jack

Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
Old 09-01-2014, 05:53 PM   #1086
Dauntless Award

City: Wrangell, Alaska
Vessel Name: Dauntless
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42 - 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post

We've read a ton of books of those crossing and circumnavigating. And the sailors you've read. Now, even though we have and prefer twin engines, I never thought of the single engine as a big deal. Biggest problem people have is fuel and that hits the same, one or two.

A lot is personal risk tolerance and financial in determining what to do. I'd never consider what many of the sailors do. Hopefully then not join the group of sailors having to get rescued at sea. Most of them don't write a book, although have read one and then we had the fisherman who floated across taking 13 months or something.

So single engine never bothered me. I could and would not do it single handed as I know I'd worry myself the entire time plus I don't trust my sleeping as you did. I would have added a bit more fuel. You scared me a bit there. But otherwise the things you did were within a realm of risk I could handle. You trusted the boat and your ability. I never worried about that aspect with you.

And doing it as you would or even as we will one day, there's risk. But then there's risk sitting at the marina. Everyone we talk to thinks our future plans to cross are stupid. Everyone says, "Ship the Boat." I'm sure you encountered a lot of those looks and comments from friends and acquaintances. What they don't understand is our desire to experience a crossing. While I'm sure you'd change a couple of things next time, I also am sure that crossing was a thrill and you're glad you did it. Maybe we're like the chicken just wanting to get to the other side. But I think it's more the experience along the way.
As I've had time to rest and reflect, I've been writing my blog, but it's taking a while just because even with my log book, a number of events are more jumbled in my mind then I would have thought possible.
And I think it's important that I lay events out as they happened, as then it is more valuable to you.

You shall see that while the fuel amt seemed risky at this point, leaving Horta, it turned out fortuitous. Did I know it at the time? You will have to decide when you hear the rest of the story.

a Kadey Krogen 42 currently: https://share.garmin.com/dauntless
Blog:
https://dauntlessatsea.com
Wxx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 08:15 PM   #1087
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
Great photos, Richard. I didn't see any that were out of context, save perhaps the one with the kitten. The view of that volcano....shewwww! Love the one of you kicking back on the pilothouse bench and watching a movie. I saw about two or three doubles, maybe more. Thanks for sharing.

"When life gets hard, eat marshmallows”.
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 08:42 PM   #1088
Guru

City: NC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donsan View Post
... There are several pieces to an AP and if you have hydraulics, it probably isn't practical to have redundancy except in the electronics. That is a tough one for going solo. Luckily, the Comnav is a reliable unit but, at some point everything fails.
Some boats have completely redundant AP from the controller at the helm, cables/hoses to the separate hydraulic cylinders at the rudder. The only common linkage is the rudder. I have known of AP pilot/rudder systems that have failed but the person at the helm was able to go to the secondary system. Talk about a butt pucker.

Later,
Dan
dannc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 08:46 PM   #1089
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannc View Post
Some boats have completely redundant AP from the controller at the helm, cables/hoses to the separate hydraulic cylinders at the rudder. The only common linkage is the rudder. I have known of AP pilot/rudder systems that have failed but the person at the helm was able to go to the secondary system. Talk about a butt pucker.

Later,

Dan

We have that setup, totally separate pumps, brain boxes and AP heads at each station. Used it once, but that's all it took to make it worth it. We also have a spare ram and hydro hoses.
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
Old 09-01-2014, 09:20 PM   #1090
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wxx3 View Post
You shall see that while the fuel amt seemed risky at this point, leaving Horta, it turned out fortuitous. Did I know it at the time? You will have to decide when you hear the rest of the story.
I look forward to it. I'm guessing because it would have been in the tank that had water in it.

That's the thing too about trips like this when great decisions backfire and less than great ones turn out great.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 09:48 PM   #1091
Guru

City: NC
Richard,

For the after action report...

On the night you did the KK Crazy Ivan, , this is what I remember.

A day or so prior to the KK Crazy Ivan, I mentioned the weather was looking a bit iffy sometime in the future. A TF member asked me to send the weather data to you which was a good idea. I did not know what weather data you needed so I was sending summaries of the 500 MB charts at 48 and 96 hours, along with the 48 and 96 hour surface charts. I don't think I was sending the current surface reports at that time. I think I was overloading you with data.

Eventually, you told me to just send the current surface charts which is what I mostly did unless I saw something that might be of interest.

I *** THINK *** on the night of the KK Crazy Ivan we were exchanging texts and I saw one text asking about wind and waves. There was another text that was asking about the current weather chart. I saw the request for wind and waves so I sent the data but I don't think I had time to send the current surface data. It was late at night my time and I could barely see the screen. In hindsight I think your really needed the current surface chart data.

From my perspective, I was VERY concerned that I would send BAD data. Meaning I would make a typeo. It is VERY easy to type a S when you mean N and which is a rather bad boo boo. Or reverse a number. I was also very concerned in making it perfectly clear as to the source of the weather data, ie, which chart was being used, even though we only had 160 characters in a text. I felt it was critical to id the source of the data. It would be a rather large Ruh Roh Scooby moment if I sent 96 hour data and it was interpreted as current.

I sent the wave and wind data and remembered the text about the current surface chart but I was so tired I could not see well and I did not want to provide bad data.

As I have said a couple of times on this thread during the trip to Ireland, the person who had the best weather data was the Captain of Dauntless. The Captain was at the scene and had REAL data compared to the weather guesses/forecasts. I saw the forecasts change over the days, especially the 48 and 96 hour charts. Obviously, I knew the forecasts would change, but this was a real eye opener to me as I put my self in Richard's helm chair and tried to figure out what the heck I would do? The changes every 12/24 hours were very significant for a trawler than might make 120-150 NM in 24 hours. In theory the 48 and 96 hour charts should help but the forecast positions of the lows were moving over hundreds of miles which made it impossible for Dauntless to avoid.

Lack of avoidance was partially due to Dauntless's northernly course. The lows were either arriving from the west to the north of Dauntless OR moving in from the SSW and following Dauntless's course. There really was no way to avoid the storms.

From a decision making standpoint, after a few days into the trip, maybe a day or so after the KK Crazy Ivan, Dauntless was really committed to heading north. Going back south would have been against the waves/winds and the only other course was to head east to Spain/Portugal, or heaven forbid, France. The only option really was to continue north OR if Dauntless had a sea anchor, deploying it and seeing what happened. Using the sea anchor MAY have allowed time to rest and let the low get more to the north.

I sent weather data once or twice a day, and from time to time, asked questions to draw attention to something of concern on the charts. During the KK Crazy Ivan, I thought for sure Richard was seeing something that concerned him, after all he knows more about the weather than I and he had real knowledge of the local conditions. I figured he was going to go to his original plan to hopscotch to Ireland via Portugal, France, and the UK.

So the 64 dollar question about the KK Crazy Ivan Turn:
  1. Do you think you had too much weather data?
  2. Not enough weather data?
  3. Or weather data made no difference to the decision?
  4. I will be danged if I know the answer because I can't remember why I made the decision?

I knew Richard was texting other people but I was also concerned with overloading him with texts. He needed rest but he also needed data. I certainly was not selfish about sending weather texts, I know sometimes I was sending 13-15 at a time, but I was worried about distracting or waking Richard.

Later,
Dan
dannc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 09:52 PM   #1092
THD
Guru

City: Seattle
CP-In answer to your question about Nordy's, I would imagine that not very many have actually done a substantial off shore trip of any kind. I know probably 12-15 Nordy owners from 42-63' and while all boast a bit of their boat's capability, not one I know has any interest in a trip like Rich & Julie's.

Rich-on the single v twin, as has been said here many times, it is, I reality, a personal preference. WE do have twin JD's, but I would be equally comfortable making your trip with a single. Today's continuous duty diesels are amazingly durable pieces of machinery.

Glad to read your mention of La Reve. I remember his trip across and followed their blog closely. all the way down to the Black Sea.

A sad note (to me at least), Oogachaka, having made the trans-pacific crossing to Down Under is to be sold in Aussie land. Apparently the trip was their dream and now it is accomplished. Any Down Under TF members wanting a proven ocean crosser pretty much like Rick's, check it out in Sydney.
THD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 12:00 AM   #1093
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Hello Richard!

I apologize for having to "suffer" a 6 day (nail biting) vacation time-span aboard our boat for holiday weekend... where our I-phone hot-spot malfunctioned and we were fully separated from the web. My apology is because it took till this eve before I could catch up on your hour after hour of non stop successes! Wellllll - Happily I now report that I just spent couple hours reading every post since mid day last Wednesday. Wow, Wow, WOW!!! You are a champ! And, wife Julie is too!

The great feelings I have for you can be said in one word - Congratulations!

I look forward to learning more.

Get It ON! - Art
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 02:39 AM   #1094
Guru

City: Anacortes
This is an old joke, but somehow I keep thinking a brown pants comment needed to make its way onto this thread, cause on the last leg I just kept thinking "Mate, bring me my brown pants" before landing in Ireland.

-----
Long ago, when sailing ships ruled the sea, this captain and his crew were always in danger of being boarded by pirates from a pirate ship.

One day while they were sailing, they saw that a pirate ship had sent a boarding party to try and board their ship. The crew became worried, but the Captain was calm.

He bellowed to his First Mate, "Bring me my red shirt!"

The First Mate quickly got the Captain's red shirt, which the captain put on. Then he led his crew into battle against the mean pirates. Although there were some casualties among the crew, the pirates were defeated.

Later that day, the lookout screamed that there were two pirate vessels sending two boarding parties towards their ship. The crew was nervous, but the Captain, calm as ever, bellowed, "Bring me my red shirt!" And once again the battle was on!

The Captain and his crew fought off the boarding parties, though this time more casualties occurred.

Weary from the battles, the men sat around on deck that night recounting the day's events when an ensign looked at the Captain and asked, "Sir, why did you call for your red shirt before the battle?"

The Captain, giving the ensign a look that only a captain can give, explained, "If I am wounded in battle, the red shirt does not show the blood, so you men will continue to fight unafraid." The men sat in silence. They were amazed at the courage of such a man.

As dawn came the next morning, the lookout screamed that there were pirate ships, 10 of them, all with boarding parties on their way. The men became silent and looked to the Captain, their leader, for his usual command.

The Captain, calm as ever, bellowed, 'Bring me my brown pants!!!'
ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 06:48 AM   #1095
Dauntless Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannc View Post
Richard,

For the after action report...

From my perspective, I was VERY concerned that I would send BAD data. Meaning I would make a typeo. It is VERY easy to type a S when you mean N and which is a rather bad boo boo. Or reverse a number. I was also very concerned in making it perfectly clear as to the source of the weather data, ie, which chart was being used, even though we only had 160 characters in a text. I felt it was critical to id the source of the data. It would be a rather large Ruh Roh Scooby moment if I sent 96 hour data and it was interpreted as current.

Later,
Dan
Thanks Again Dan, you were great as were Mark, Roger and Ed.

Everybody helped and knowing I had such a following, also helped.

I should have been more specific on what I wanted. As a wxman, one of the first things you learn is don't let bad data screw you up. There were a few instances of someone sending me S when they meant N.

It's actually quite obvious and I should have made it clear not to worry about it.

Just so everyone understands, look at this example:

12z winds 27012
18z 17012
00z 28015

It doesn't matter what it is, whether a typo or the real fcst, in either case you ignore it, bc even if real, it's not going to be right.

Also, I didn't want spot forecasts unless they are perfect for time and place, which in itself is difficult, it is hard to know why they are wrong.

People rely on GRIB winds without a real understanding of what is behind the data. There is a significance implied that does not exist.

Blog:
Old 09-02-2014, 08:46 AM   #1096
Guru

City: LI or Fla
Little late to the congrat's party, just wanted to say congratulations on an awesome job, truly amazing!
Marlinmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 09:41 AM   #1097
Dauntless Award

Crazy Ivan

OK guys,
I figured it out

Only took a while with a rested brain

Day 4 & 5, 21 & 22 August

The day had stared with strong NE winds at 20 knots. I could not travel into those winds as the boat goes very slowly, like half speed and the pitching of the bow becomes like a bucking bronco. One lesson I’ve learned about ocean travel is that since you don’t have to worry about running onto shore, you can go any direction, but in a boat that travels 6 knots normally, it’s fruitless to go into strong winds.

So therefore, I made a decision to go NW! Which would have put me in Greenland in two weeks. But an hour later I turn around and head SE.

Now, SE would put me in North Africa in a week. But, remember, I could not go NE because of the winds. This little escapade cost me three hours, as I crossed the spot I was the hours earlier. I was so irritated at myself that I did not realize for a full day that I was compounding this error tenfold!

Later on, someone asked if I did a “Crazy Ivan”. No I just changed my mind a few too many times.

The winds stayed at 20 knots out of the NNE all day. I continued to motor SE towards Africa. Had I not been alone, someone, anyone, on the scene would have asked, what our goal was and as soon as I answered that question, I would have seen the folly of my ways. Decision making is the biggest casualty of single handing.

Winds continued all day, night and into the next day from the NE, finally becoming easterly by evening and weakening to 15 knots. I keep my course of ESE now aiming for Gibraltar.

A number of folks on Trawler Forum have helped me by texting me the current locations of high and low pressure centers, along with their center pressure. I then plot these positions and draw the isobars, so I have an idea of the gradient, which causes winds. The picture shows the 21 Aug, then I used it for the next two days to plot positions. I need to be on the east side of the developing low, so the southerly winds it will develop there push me north. So far, it seems to be working.

In looking at the weather maps I had created based on the positions I was texted, I am starting to understand my logic, I was determined to stay on the east side of any low pressure area. On the first map, the 21st there is this large High to the NNW of Dauntless, moving southeastward. That was producing the NE winds I encountered and at first I thought to go NW to get on its other side, but then realized it would take forever, so I turned around.
Two days later, the map shows the high already over Dauntless, with the large low pressure area building to the NW. Looking at that map now, it seems I did take a good course by trying to get to the east, as the winds built strongly from the SW over the coming days.

The east side would mean Southeasterly winds, which I wanted and which came on the 23rd.

But as I look at the maps again, I see that my idea was right on, it was my execution that was lacking. First, even looking at the positions of Dauntless on the three consecutive days, it’s like we hardly moved, yet the highs and lows moved a quarter of the way across the ocean. On the 21st, when I turned SE, I accepted the fact that the winds were going to push me to Portugal. I would have been right, had they kept up for a solid week, So, finally in hindsight, I see I should have motored slowly north that first and second day, until the winds had a southerly component, as they would have on the 23rd. then full speed ahead north

I spent much of this day experimenting with course and speed, to find the best way to mitigate the wind coming directly from the direction I wanted to go. It was slow, 3 knots, but at least I wasn’t wasting fuel and I wasn’t getting further away from my destination. I spent three hours going due east, and had a very easy ride with 6 ft. waves coming from the NE.

Finally, after a full day and a half, 34 hours after my first harebrained course change, I changed course to due NNE, into the winds, but really slow, at low (1100) rpms. The ride wasn’t bad, the roll was minor and I was going in a direction that I needed to go.

This ended up being a very good strategy for the conditions and this boat.

Blog:
Old 09-02-2014, 09:49 AM   #1098
Dauntless Award

Attachment 32572

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20140902_154504.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	38.1 KB
ID:	32573

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20140902_154533.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	46.2 KB
ID:	32574

So the top picture is the map I drew on the morning of the 21 st.

The second map is from the 23rd.

I needed to stay ob the east side the the low that was moving ne on the 23rd.

I simply did not appreciate how slow Dauntless moves in comparison to these pressure systems.
Attached Thumbnails
ForumRunner_20140902_154301.jpg  

Blog:
Old 09-02-2014, 09:54 AM   #1099
Guru

City: Miami Florida
Vessel Name: Possum
Vessel Model: Ellis 28
Richard, What are you doing now that you've had some rest? What's Ireland like?
Have you been to the local marine hardware store? (Sorry about that one, I can't help it.)
Old 09-02-2014, 10:02 AM   #1100
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Do you have any way to get/see weather data first hand so there is no need to go through a second or third party?

Do you have a SAT phone or SSB on board?
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote