Old 08-30-2014, 12:30 AM   #1021
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
Now we know different.
In my experience that was proven a long time ago. With their history of longevity I can't see how any one could think otherwise.

Like the bunny, Lehman's just run and run and run.

Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 12:49 AM   #1022
Guru

City: NC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wxx3 View Post
How large do you think that wave is in the photo?

Later,
Dan

dannc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 12:56 AM   #1023

City: Northern California
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannc View Post
How large do you think that wave is in the photo?

Later,
Dan
16'~18', my guess.
Old 08-30-2014, 03:31 AM   #1024
Hospitality Officer

City: Pittwater
Vessel Name: Sarawana
Vessel Model: IG 36 Quad Cabin
Not sure which one is more impressive, Richard or Dauntless.

This certainly has been a wild, woolly & briny voyage, or as the locals say great Craic

To echo everyone else, well done indeed.
Andy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 04:57 AM   #1025
Guru

City: Sarasota,FL/Thomasville,GA
Vessel Name: Steppin Stone IV
Vessel Model: Marine Trader Kelly Trawler 46
Send a message via Skype™ to siestakey
WOWZA I had to make a emergency trip back to Zurich and missed the last couple days congrats

I am all caught up what a amazing trip
siestakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 08:14 AM   #1026
Guru

City: Signal Mtn., TN
Vessel Name: Stella Maris
Vessel Model: Defever 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonstruck View Post
Let us not forget kudos to Mssrs. Ford and Lehman. Great engine.
Good thought, Don. I sent Brian Smith at American Diesel info on the Dauntless voyage and the Delorme link a few days ago, figuring they'd be interested. Have not heard back.
angus99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 08:41 AM   #1027
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
19'

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckofficer View Post
16'~18', my guess.
I was in some steep seas off the coast of NC that NOAA reported at 19'. I would say that about 16' would be my guess. I can't imagine being in a small boat in those seas 24/7.
http://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 09:08 AM   #1028
Guru

City: Georgia
Imagining is what we all were doing. Richard was actually doing it and imagining us in our easy chairs.
Rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 09:30 AM   #1029
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
12-15 perhaps? Hard to say from a picture.

"In a boat it’s easy to overestimate wave heights. This is because of a phenomenon discovered by William Froude in 1861. He found that, no matter how your boat is situated on a large swell, what you feel to be “straight down” is actually at right angles to the wave. So when you think you’re looking out on a level line to judge a wave, you are actually looking on an angle, distorting your judgment. The only time to make an accurate appraisal of the waves is when you are at the bottom of a trough, midway between two waves, and you are sitting relatively level. In a small boat your eye might be about four feet above the waterline. If you can sight along several wave tops in a row when in a trough, then the waves are about three feet high, which is what most of us judge to be “six-footers.” Sight along the gunwale, about two feet off the water, to judge smaller waves. Stand up to raise your eyes to six feet or more to judge larger waves."
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	116.3 KB
ID:	32502  
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 12:01 PM   #1030
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Bill11 View Post
12-15 perhaps? Hard to say from a picture.
It is hard to tell wave heights. I think one problem is that the waves are not the same height all of the time. We were in FLA as the first hurricane of the season was forming. We were at the beach and the weather was just off and something was brewing. The oldest kid and I rented a kayak and went on the ocean for an hour or so. I would guess most of the waves were 2-3 feet but there were some much larger ones as well that might have been up to 6 feet. The taller waves were at a certain area and I felt sure there must be some structure at that end of the beach.

That night I downloaded the chart for that area and sure enough there was a valley and ridge right off the beach. The ridge was causing the waves to increase in size but thankfully not breaking out where we were paddling.

In Richards case we know from ships, a weather buoy, and energy platform, that waves were around 5 meters. The problem with photos of sea state is that the lens used to take the photo can change the perspective, and if there is not a subject in the photo that indicates size, it is hard to tell the size of the wave. In Richard's photo we have part of the boat in the photo so that should help narrow down the wave size.

Later,
Dan
Old 08-30-2014, 12:12 PM   #1031

City: Northern California
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannc View Post
In Richard's photo we have part of the boat in the photo so that should help narrow down the wave size.

Later,
Dan
That is what I based my 16'~18' guess on. The dinghy deck on Richard's boat is about 10' above the waterline. The picture that included that deck was shot from a slightly lower position, so if the wave appears in that sight line it is 10' plus the amount above the deck with an added amount for camera angle.

Most all of my time at sea the wave height was below my sight line from the bridge, which is a good thing considering I'm 60' above the waterline.
Old 08-30-2014, 12:34 PM   #1032

City: Boerne, Tx
Vessel Name: HEY JUDE
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 36 Manatee #46
Richard...how have the locals been treating you & have you picked up a nickname yet?

Like the "F..king Crazy Yank that arrived in the middle of the night in a near gale in that wee boat"

Are the school children taking field trips to the harbor to view you & Dauntless?

Have you had to pay for a pint yet?

Has the town commissioned a bronze, you at the helm, to be placed at the harbor entrance?
HeyJude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 12:42 PM   #1033
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckofficer View Post
That is what I based my 16'~18' guess on. The dinghy deck on Richard's boat is about 10' above the waterline. The picture that included that deck was shot from a slightly lower position, so if the wave appears in that sight line it is 10' plus the amount above the deck with an added amount for camera angle.

Most all of my time at sea the wave height was below my sight line from the bridge, which is a good thing considering I'm 60' above the waterline.
Ah, that is the type of guestimate I was looking for.

Later,
Dan
Old 08-30-2014, 12:51 PM   #1034
Guru

City: St. Pete, FL
Vessel Name: Seaweed
Vessel Model: Schucker mini-trawler
Send a message via AIM to janice142 Send a message via MSN to janice142 Send a message via Yahoo to janice142 Send a message via Skype™ to janice142
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude View Post
Richard...how have the locals been treating you & have you picked up a nickname yet?

Like the "F..king Crazy Yank that arrived in the middle of the night in a near gale in that wee boat"

Are the school children taking field trips to the harbor to view you & Dauntless?

Has the town commissioned a bronze of you at helm to be placed at the harbor entrance?
Perfection! I love it. (still laughing)
Old 08-30-2014, 12:55 PM   #1035
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Waves are a bit like fish though....they get bigger with each time you describe them. Ten years from now I'm sure they will be 40'. lol

But the buoy measurements tell you they were as described and not pleasant. I never saw the period of the 5 meter waves mentioned. Something tells me it was not like the Pacific Coast swells with long periods.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 12:59 PM   #1036
Guru

City: Biloxi Mississippi
Vessel Name: Patricia Louise II
Vessel Model: 1983 42' Present Sundeck

That is Great!
You gotta hope having one of our very own pulling this off will improve our "street cred"!!

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️
Old 08-30-2014, 01:06 PM   #1037
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Quote:

Has the town commissioned a bronze of you at helm to be placed at the harbor entrance?

Now THAT was an epic post!!

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 02:32 PM   #1038
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
Quote:

Has the town commissioned a bronze, you at the helm, to be placed at the harbor entrance?
Great post, Phil The only thing greater would have been if he arrived with a cockpit load of fish and a record local catch hanging from the bent paravane!

"I'd rather be happy than dignified".
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 02:51 PM   #1039
Guru

City: St. Pete, FL
Vessel Name: Seaweed
Vessel Model: Schucker mini-trawler
Send a message via AIM to janice142 Send a message via MSN to janice142 Send a message via Yahoo to janice142 Send a message via Skype™ to janice142
Well, if you check Richard's new title, I'm in full happiness mode. The Dauntless Award indeed sums up the experience -- even for galley readers like self. Congratulations to both Richard and Julie.

You're amazing. And Dauntless too.
Old 08-30-2014, 02:58 PM   #1040
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Waves are a bit like fish though....they get bigger with each time you describe them. Ten years from now I'm sure they will be 40'. lol

But the buoy measurements tell you they were as described and not pleasant. I never saw the period of the 5 meter waves mentioned. Something tells me it was not like the Pacific Coast swells with long periods.
The reports were 4-5 meters with a period of 7-8 seconds. One buoy was west of Richards position and the energy platform was to his east. All roughly 30-50 NM from Richard. Not nice that is for sure.

Later,
Dan