Old 08-24-2014, 11:35 PM   #681
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by Insequent View Post
The data rates are enough for web connectivity and charges are reasonable under the circumstances. Yes, a lot higher cost then Richard's Delorme, which is still a fabulous piece of kit. But I would want to surf the net when other crew were on watch. I would always have a couple of other people on board...

Just for comparison here are some rate plans.

Compare

Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 12:34 AM   #682
TF Site Team

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: LISAS WAY
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
Since we're discussing satellite communications...

I have a KVH V3 Mini Vsat terminal on my boat.

It offers 2mbps download speeds, and crystal clear voice calling virtually anywhere in the world.

Cost is $0.99 per mbyte and $.049 per minute for voice calls with no other long distance charges.

I'm thinking about signing up with marinetraffic.com to upload AIS data to them so that friends and family can track our boat anywhere, any time.

www.mvlisasway.com
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 06:24 AM   #683

Vessel Model: Gulfstar 38MC
From the East Atlantic, 6:15 est:

Ever read the book "The Angry Sea"
It's been riled up for two days now.
Winds were 20g 40 all night. I have the seas behind me, but they are 6 to 12'

It's quite a ride. I'm wedged into the ph bench.
When those big ones roll underneath, Dauntless looks up and then does it's like tail waggle.
Almost cute.

The front just passed thru as we texted.
Winds still 25 bit more due west. Sun just came out and all the low cloud are now east of me.

I'm hoping winds die down a bit as to not build big seas on my beam.

Richard Bost sent this message from:
Lat 45.529318 Lon -16.006865
bluebyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 06:59 AM   #684
Guru

City: Niceville, FL
Vessel Name: At Last
Vessel Model: 1990 Jefferson 52 Marquessa
I have been bouncing passageweather.com off of Richard so we can verify it's accuracy. So far it has been spot on. Even the forecast for a few days ahead has been good. Here is what he said.
Looks like you have a keeper.
That wx is spot on.
SW at 20 g to 30
Seas 6 to 10, but with occasional 12'
I have it right behind me so it hasn't been that bad
It's been like this since yesterday late afternoon.
The key today is how long these strong westerlies last.
Lat 45.549005 Lon -15.966803

I then provided him with what the next few days look like on this site.
Rogerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 07:12 AM   #685

And more from Dauntless, 6:41 to 7:06am est:

It's sort of neat to see the top of an occasional wave st my eye level sitting here on my bench seat in the ph.

I'm almost tempted to do a 180.and see if I get green water over the bow, but I ain't doing that 400 miles from land.
Maybe 2 miles

Asked Richard how is holding up, spirits, health etc:
I'm holding up well. Only three days left.and I force myself to get as much sleep as I can whenever it's dark, as well as a nap during the day.

Getting the sleep has been the key.
Two ships were within AIS range last night. The closest they came was 6 nm.
I didn't wake got them.

Since I've figured out how to make radar alarms actually useful, That has allowed me to get more sleep than in the past.

We just rolled about 20 as a large wave passed underneath. Then Dauntless just puts her nose high on the air as the stern does a little waggle.

Without the Paravanes, that waggle becomes an ever increasing roll harmonic.
I'd be rolling 30 in each direction, total delta 60 Not dangerous, as long as

You have your seat belt on!
Don't ask how I know.

Lat 45.570538 Lon -15.922515

Old 08-25-2014, 08:16 AM   #686

Told Richard, If you stay at sea any longer you are going to get scurvy!
From Dauntless, 8:10 est:

Hey listen,
It's bad enough that I finished my last pecan pie AND I have 20 cans of tuna fish, but NO mayonnaise.
AND really no other food.
BUT I do have

A case of manderin oranges.
So a few days again when I was complaining about no mayonnaise, Julie responded with, "well with all those oranges you have, at

Least you won't get scurvy.
And to think some TFers think I'm not prepared :-)

Lat 45.633152 Lon -15.78538
Old 08-25-2014, 08:26 AM   #687
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post

I do find it funny all the time he spends comparing to Nordhavn as if one couldn't just look at the two boats and know there would be a huge difference.
Many people wouldn't.
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 09:41 AM   #688

City: Boerne, Tx
Vessel Name: HEY JUDE
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 36 Manatee #46
AND really no other food. And no crew to cannibalize.

Possibly he can amend his AIS tag to include...Needs Mayo
HEY JUDE, a 1986 Kadey Krogen 36 Manatee, #46 of 99. After 13 yrs on Lake Travis she's on Clear Lake TX being prepped for coastal cruising.
HeyJude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 09:52 AM   #689
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
Tuna and oranges! No rum!? For those of you that havent joined the Dauntless admiration group....maybe this would put you over the hump.

"I'd rather be happy than dignified".
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 10:24 AM   #690

City: St Louis
I can't fathom how 20g40 and mayo would go together, but that may be a function of my land locked life!!

Following this trip has been absolutely awesome!!
Animal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 10:33 AM   #691
Guru

City: Georgia
You can eat tuna out of the can, sans mayo, trust me in that.
Spices help though, like Texas Pete or pepper sauce.
Rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 10:47 AM   #692
Grand Vizier

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksanders View Post
I do not have a problem with two people onboard, sharing the duties.

In open water at 7 knots I also have no problem with leaving the helm and getting a drink, or something from the fridge, or a pee break.

Not much happens all that quickly at 7 knots. And in the dark you cant see anyway.

On long passages, you need to do something to pass the time. Reading a book, watching a movie, or even surfing TF is just fine as long as you're maintaining a good level of situational awareness
Agreed. At night, you can't see a darn thing anyway, so you rely on electronic eyes that can awake you with an alarm. We hit a whale in the Pacific at night and at the time I was staring out into the waves and saw absolutely nothing so I might as well have been taking a nap. During the day, depending on wave conditions, you will see some things with a diligent watch, but it always seemed to me that the main purpose of a watch was to respond to electronic sightings, which are few and far between on many routes.

I'm not saying that single or double handing ocean crossings conforms to best practices, but as a practical matter the increase in the margin of safety at least from a watch standpoint isn't that much different with a crew of 4 vs. a crew of 2 assuming the boat is taking advantage of the wealth of gizmos available from AIS to radar. Fall down the companionway ladder and break your leg....well under those conditions the more the merrier and hopefully one of them is a doctor....
Old 08-25-2014, 10:58 AM   #693
Grand Vizier

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianonhercules View Post
I have been following this thread with interest. My wife and I did a similar trip across the Pacific. True, it was on a sailboat but still some things do translate. I wonder why they can't just heave-to under A/P and head into the wind and waves until the weather ameliorates, thus holding position and not running the risk of missing their destination. They might get a little respite from the watch and watch they must be keeping. There's nothing magical about the schedule of 13 days, other than a self-imposed goal. I also wonder if they have the fuel for an alternative destination.

Ian
Ian, I'm like you, coming from a sailing background and it seems the idea of heaving to is pretty alien to most trawler folks. Plus the hull forms and windage distribution means most trawlers couldn't heave to even if they wanted to, so a para anchor on a bridle would be needed to hold position. That said, without any question, we'll carry a para anchor on Delfin when we head out simply because the luxury of just 'pulling off the highway' and taking 24 hours to rest and recharge is worth the effort of learning how to manage the process.
Old 08-25-2014, 11:16 AM   #694

City: Boerne, Tx
Vessel Name: HEY JUDE
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 36 Manatee #46
Back to the weather forecast. To those who can read wx charts & understand forecasts....how does the rest of the trip look?
HeyJude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 11:18 AM   #695
TF Site Team

City: JAX, FL
Vessel Name: Hobo
Vessel Model: Krogen 42-120
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude View Post
What equipment would Richard need to have access to above links or same data via shortwave?
A Pactor II/III/III radio modem will work when connected to a SSB or Ham radio. We have used Pactor modems since 2000 and have email/weather information access all over the world. You can receive up to 8698 bpm, request weather charts & information on demand via SailMail or Winlink networks, receive NAVTEX weather and marine hazard transmissions and receive Weather FAX transmissions directly. A modem is expensive. A Pactor II is ~$1400 and a IV is ~$1800. For Ham operators, data and usage is free with pretty much unlimited data. For SSB use, you pay around $250/year and you have data limits but can conduct business which you can't on Ham.

SCSmail 2.0 —
Larry M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 11:48 AM   #696
Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude View Post
Back to the weather forecast. To those who can read wx charts & understand forecasts....how does the rest of the trip look?
I'm using passageweather. Right now he is between the detailed charts, so have to extrapolate from them and also use the whole n atl chart.

He's in heavy seas from the west now, that should diminish come tues and wed. Then on thurs when he should be nearing Ireland, a bad low is coming in, which looks worse than what he is in now. If he can make port before thurs, that would be good.

Hopefully seas on the stern are giving him some surfing, and making good time.
Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 12:23 PM   #697
TF Site Team

City: JAX, FL
Vessel Name: Hobo
Vessel Model: Krogen 42-120
Here's the forecast via Buoy Weather for today at 48N/15.5W which is real close to Richards last posted position.

Tuesday 8/26
Morning
Breezy whitecapping conditions with moderate choppy seas. Large short period wind waves.
Seas: W 3.1 to 4.1 meters at 9 seconds.
Winds: WNW 12 to 16 knots.

Afternoon
Light winds with a slight chop. Moderate short period wind waves.
Seas: W 2.8 to 3.6 meters at 9 seconds.
Winds: W 7 to 10 knots.

Larry M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 01:13 PM   #698
Guru

City: NC
It looks like Richards is 3-4 days from Ireland. He should reach port well before the Cristobal. He said he was bearing more to the east than he would like due to the waves which he reported at 10 feet. I assume the wind is affecting his course as well.

Yesterday's wave height forecast off the south of Ireland has drastically changed for the better. It might be because of the gap between current and 48 hour coverage. Sailing Weather - Marine Weather Forecasts for Sailors and Adventurers - PassageWeather wave predicted wave height is showing 3 meters where as yesterdays 48 hour wave forecast had 3, 4, 5 meters in the same area. There is a time gap here so maybe tomorrow the NOAA forecast will appear.

The low that is moving from from the ESE of the tip of Ireland to the tip of England in the next 24 hours. This is the big low that is in Richards way but it should move to the E before he gets close. However, it might put more wind on his bow.

There is another low moving in from the west over the next 24 hours which should behind Richard. The low on Tuesday should be to the WSW of Dauntless and maybe ESE on Wednesday. If the low does go ESE then Dauntless is likely to be running into the wind for a day or so. NOAA say the low will go ESE which is what I think it will do due the 500MB chart Bet on NOAA not me.

However, the UK Met has the low turning north to follow Richard into Ireland.

There is another low at the tip of Greenland that NOAA says will be over Ireland in four days. UK Met has the same low staying in place. Go figure. This low needs to be watched even though the NOAA current surface chart has the low moving NNE in the next 24 hours.

Two reputable organizations with different forecasts. Which to believe?

Remember, Richard does not care to see the 48 and 96 hour charts. He only wants to see current and 24 but 24 does not cover his position. He has been using the current which does show the movement of highs and lows over the next 24 hours.

Later,
Dan
dannc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 01:20 PM   #699
Guru

City: NC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler View Post
You can eat tuna out of the can, sans mayo, trust me in that.
Spices help though, like Texas Pete or pepper sauce.
Yeah, Texas Pete helps plain old tuna!

But Texas Pete is NOT from New York City so I bet Richard has a different hot sauce!

Just mentioned this to Richard but he had sent out a text about a 30 degree roll! So he might want to hold off the tuna for now.

Later,
Dan
dannc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 01:30 PM   #700
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Is there a reason he doesn't want to see more than 24hrs out?

psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote