Old 08-24-2014, 02:31 PM   #661
Guru

City: NC
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebyu View Post
More from Dauntless 12:54pm to 1:04 est:
So I'm still slightly better than 4nm/gal.
Only 550 to go and I have 250gal left.

Richard Bost sent this message from:
Lat 44.208567 Lon -17.561473
That is pretty good fuel burn.

He is hoping that the low moving in to Ireland will continue to provide him with SSW wind/waves to help push him into Ireland. Should help his fuel burn as well.

Later,
Dan

dannc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 02:37 PM   #662
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywood8118 View Post
Thread creep...
As in all phases of yacht ownership just calculating the fuel burn and capacity of a Dashew boat is only part of the equation.. yes they are fuel efficient at higher speeds.. but have you priced one of those things?. you can get a Nordhavn and a lot of fuel for the cost of a FPB. And Sailors get clipped in fast boats too.. because they believe they can out run the weather.. doesn't always happen though.
HOLLYWOOD
True, Dat.

How shall I phrase this....

Is a 64 foot Nordhaven really "cheaper" than a FPB 64? Using the world "cheaper," or even the phrase, less expensive just does not seem correct in this context.

Hmmmm, how about, does a 64 foot Nordhavn really cost less than a FPB 64?

I thought there were both 2-3 million USD?

Later,
Dan

Old 08-24-2014, 02:59 PM   #663
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Bill11 View Post
What is a "ocean master course"?
Good question. Probably the wrong title. I think Richard took time out on his trip North at maybe Beaufort SC to take a course for licensing for ocean master.
http://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 05:10 PM   #664

City: Boerne, Tx
Vessel Name: HEY JUDE
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 36 Manatee #46
Found this site than appears to provide current & forecasted wx systems of N Atlan that are being discussed.

North Atlantic Weather Forecasts
HeyJude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 05:53 PM   #665
Guru

Here is a link to the NOAA Ocean Prediction Center that has the charts Richard is using, Ocean Prediction Center - Atlantic

He is primarily using the current surface chart.

The 48 and 96 hour surface, 500MB, wind and wave charts are interesting to me but Richard is not using them for the most part. He did ask me today to check the 500MB chart to verify a high ridge over central Europe.

Other interesting European weather sites I have found:
Later,
Dan
Old 08-24-2014, 06:31 PM   #666
Guru

City: Port Townsend Washington
Vessel Name: " OTTER "
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander Europa 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannc View Post
True, Dat.

How shall I phrase this....

Is a 64 foot Nordhaven really "cheaper" than a FPB 64? Using the world "cheaper," or even the phrase, less expensive just does not seem correct in this context.

Hmmmm, how about, does a 64 foot Nordhavn really cost less than a FPB 64?

I thought there were both 2-3 million USD?

Later,
Dan
I depends on what you are looking for.. a FPB boat is nowhere close to the size and accommodation of even a N60. The FPB boats get their fuel economy and speed due to a narrow beam to length ratio... that is nothing new.. old rum runners and submarines use the same theory.

So to get the boat the size of a N60 you have to do a 90' FPB. Keep in mind that in Marinas, boat yards or anywhere they calculate fees it is typically on length. I know I am in rare company as I didn't/don't drink the Dashew cool aid. Funny thing is I like modern design, fast cars/planes/motorcycles but for a passage making boat a full displacement "traditional" boat is more to my liking. One that can be loaded heavy, has lots of deck places to hide out, and doesn't have that flat top vertical window y2K catamaran look. Also the idea of a unpainted aluminum boat is great for maintenance .. but you get your nuts roasted off on deck.. and you end you with white ..or grey aluminum marks on everything.

by the way.. I LOVED the Sundeer boats and the thought of one as a Cocoanut Run Circumnavigator.. as long as they were painted!

Rant over...
HOLLYWOOD

Edit..
oops.. sorry this shouldn't really be on this thread..
hollywood8118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 07:31 PM   #667
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywood8118 View Post
I depends on what you are looking for.. a FPB boat is nowhere close to the size and accommodation of even a N60. The FPB boats get their fuel economy and speed due to a narrow beam to length ratio... that is nothing new.. old rum runners and submarines use the same theory.

So to get the boat the size of a N60 you have to do a 90' FPB. Keep in mind that in Marinas, boat yards or anywhere they calculate fees it is typically on length. I know I am in rare company as I didn't/don't drink the Dashew cool aid. Funny thing is I like modern design, fast cars/planes/motorcycles but for a passage making boat a full displacement "traditional" boat is more to my liking. One that can be loaded heavy, has lots of deck places to hide out, and doesn't have that flat top vertical window y2K catamaran look. Also the idea of a unpainted aluminum boat is great for maintenance .. but you get your nuts roasted off on deck.. and you end you with white ..or grey aluminum marks on everything.

by the way.. I LOVED the Sundeer boats and the thought of one as a Cocoanut Run Circumnavigator.. as long as they were painted!

Rant over...
HOLLYWOOD

Edit..
oops.. sorry this shouldn't really be on this thread..
I completely agree with you, Hollywood. I'd rather have a boat along the lines of Dauntless. It is more economical than any boat I own. Make that far more economical. Dauntless has great range. The only reason fuel has become a subject is that it left Horta with considerably less fuel than it holds and some of us would have added some. Oh and just so the record is straight, Richard is getting better fuel mileage on this trip than a 64' Dashew at cruise. The Dashew gets about 2 nmpg.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 07:45 PM   #668
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonstruck View Post
Good question. Probably the wrong title. I think Richard took time out on his trip North at maybe Beaufort SC to take a course for licensing for ocean master.
Maybe he means a RYA Yachtmsters Oceans. Is he a US citizen?
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 08:04 PM   #669
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Oh and just so the record is straight, Richard is getting better fuel mileage on this trip than a 64' Dashew at cruise. The Dashew gets about 2 nmpg.
The Dashew does a bit better than that. And is faster.
Attached Images

Old 08-24-2014, 08:11 PM   #670

City: Northern California
Quote:
The Dashew does a bit better than that. And is faster.

Thanks for that Capt.Bill. I do drink the Dashew Kool-aid and from his recommendation in his Cruising Encyclopedia I bought a used Cal 40 30 years ago. Even though a race boat, it made a great and fast cruiser.
Old 08-24-2014, 08:21 PM   #671

City: Boerne, Tx
Vessel Name: HEY JUDE
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 36 Manatee #46
What equipment would Richard need to have access to above links or same data via shortwave?
HeyJude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 08:44 PM   #672

City: Northern California
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude View Post
What equipment would Richard need to have access to above links or same data via shortwave?
Not enough bandwidth on HF. Satellite is the way and for Internet access while maritime mobile, a bit pricey. HF on the HAM bands are great for email, no big attachments.

All the ships I served on had full connectivity, TV, Internet, Comms, courtesy of our big golf ball.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MVC-028F.JPG
Views:	69
Size:	63.0 KB
ID:	32349  
Old 08-24-2014, 09:22 PM   #673
Guru

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Insequent
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 50 Mk I
You dont need a golf ball, a mushroom like this would do.
Iridium Pilot | Satellite Phone and Broadband Data | Global Marine Networks

Were I to setup for ocean crossing and remote cruising I would install one. The data rates are enough for web connectivity and charges are reasonable under the circumstances. Yes, a lot higher cost then Richard's Delorme, which is still a fabulous piece of kit. But I would want to surf the net when other crew were on watch. I would always have a couple of other people on board...
Old 08-24-2014, 09:26 PM   #674
Guru

City: Upstate,SC
Vessel Name: The Caroliner
Vessel Model: Plans to build 30' Spira Sitka
Quote:
Originally Posted by Insequent View Post
You dont need a golf ball, a mushroom like this would do.
Iridium Pilot | Satellite Phone and Broadband Data | Global Marine Networks

Were I to setup for ocean crossing and remote cruising I would install one. The data rates are enough for web connectivity and charges are reasonable under the circumstances. Yes, a lot higher cost then Richard's Delorme, which is still a fabulous piece of kit. But I would want to surf the net when other crew were on watch. I would always have a couple of other people on board...
Thanks for dropin that link. Good info with in,even if you never consider buying.

ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 09:47 PM   #675
Guru

City: Miami Florida
Vessel Name: Possum
Vessel Model: Ellis 28
I'm not good at reading weather maps. How much wind is he getting? If I'm reading things right it looks like about 30 mph on his port quarter. Is that right?
Has anybody talked to Richard this evening?
Old 08-24-2014, 10:21 PM   #676
Guru

Quote:
The Dashew does a bit better than that. And is faster
Certainly faster but found your chart interesting since I had taken my numbers from Dashew's website (the 64). Now I didn't have information on the speeds less than 9 knots.

Fuel Capacity 3400 US Gallons

Cruising Speed 9.25-10.0-knots
Top Speed 10.5 knots

Approximate Range 9.0 knots – 6400 NM
9.5 knots – 5500 NM
Note: speeds/ranges are for smooth water, 75,000 pound displacement, clean bottom

So 6400 NM with a 10% safety factor would be just over 7100 NM with no safety. That comes out to 2.1 nmpg. At 9.4 knots your chart shows 2.8 nmpg and a range of 8899 miles.

I don't doubt your numbers. Just interesting and wonder what the difference was. As top speed was also faster on their current site perhaps a larger engine.
Old 08-24-2014, 10:29 PM   #677
Guru

I hope Richard has the legs to stay north of Bertha
Post-Tropical Cyclone BERTHA
Old 08-24-2014, 10:35 PM   #678
Guru

Quote:
Certainly faster but found your chart interesting since I had taken my numbers from Dashew's website (the 64). Now I didn't have information on the speeds less than 9 knots.

Fuel Capacity 3400 US Gallons

Cruising Speed 9.25-10.0-knots
Top Speed 10.5 knots

Approximate Range 9.0 knots – 6400 NM
9.5 knots – 5500 NM
Note: speeds/ranges are for smooth water, 75,000 pound displacement, clean bottom

So 6400 NM with a 10% safety factor would be just over 7100 NM with no safety. That comes out to 2.1 nmpg. At 9.4 knots your chart shows 2.8 nmpg and a range of 8899 miles.

I don't doubt your numbers. Just interesting and wonder what the difference was. As top speed was also faster on their current site perhaps a larger engine.
IIRC the early 64's were just that, below 65' for a variety of reasons. Later they bolted on an extension. Because it was bolt-on the boat still officially measures at <65'. It gave more waterline length and undoubtedly speed and range. As well as desperately needed usable outside space. So perhaps both sets of numbers are correct, and reflect evolution of the design.
Old 08-24-2014, 10:53 PM   #679
Guru

Quote:

They are Dashew's numbers.

SetSail» Blog Archive » Fuel Burn, Range, and Margin For Error
Old 08-24-2014, 11:05 PM   #680
Guru

Quote:
I see....his website and two different sets of numbers. I would think your numbers are more accurate as they are from a test.

I do find it funny all the time he spends comparing to Nordhavn as if one couldn't just look at the two boats and know there would be a huge difference.