Old 08-23-2014, 09:03 AM   #601

Vessel Model: Gulfstar 38MC
From Dauntless 9:03 am est:

Update.
I've made my course a bit more n, do is now 003į As this puts the current seas almost right behind me, but more importantly, allow me to get pushed E

Edited, missed a text, 9:50 est:
Pushed east the last day or so as that storm moves ne ward.

Richard Bost sent this message from:
Lat 41.528148 Lon -18.38311

bluebyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 09:06 AM   #602
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Yes it looks like beam seas depending on where you are 3-5+ meters. I don't see how that will work.

Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 09:40 AM   #603
Guru

City: gulf coast
I feel like I'm watching a slow motion crash. Look at his track and consider that decision making is a first victim of fatigue. Im not sure that all the advice he is getting is helping him.
IMO he should be making as much easting as weather allows.
Anyone else remember Donald Crowhurst?
bayview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 09:47 AM   #604
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Perseverance is a virtue. Stubbornness is not to a long range cruiser. The two are very close to each other. Going forward single handed, not carrying more fuel, and continuing to press for Ireland rather than detour through Portugal or Spain are all either one or the other.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 09:47 AM   #605

Continueing the conversation with Richard about fuel, distance remaining etc., I had a key part wrong. Using online calculators for distance between different Lat/Lon, for example, his current position and Baltimore Ir, answers are usualy in KM(kilometer, not NM). He and I had a good exercise on time/dist/fuel burn, etc. He mostly correcting my errors.

From Dauntless over the last hour, roughly:

Thanks for keeping me on my toes.

I think I deserve the last piece of pecan pie that I've had frozen since Georgia in April.

But your number 323 is exactly what I used, so that leaving Horta with 450 gave me more than 100 gal reserve = 400 nm or 70 hours of running time at 6kt=420nm

Thanks for checking
actually, looking at everything, my gal/hr is actually lower, my first number was correct, it's closer to 1.2 gal/hr.

So now I have 300 gal remaining times 4nm/g =
1200 range.
Irl is only 700, so even if I must detour a bit.
I'm good to go.
Thanks.
I'll sleep even better tn

This is where he figured out I was using KM:

You're funny.
1350 was 5 days ago.
Att it's 705 direct, but will probably end up 750nm.

Could that be km?
1325km/1.8km/nm = 736 nm

You just want me to start the whole trip over :-)

So 750nm /4nm/gal = 188 gal. It better yet, let's stick in a 20% reserve, 0.2x4=0.8 750/(4.0-0.8)= 750/3.2=234 gal.

Richard Bost sent this message from:
Lat 41.429465 Lon -18.408
Old 08-23-2014, 09:59 AM   #606
Guru

Have a look at live ships map AIS to see the traffic ahead for a tired skipper speed limited by fuel concerns.
Old 08-23-2014, 10:03 AM   #607
Guru

Well with miscommunications like that at least he won't be bored. :-)
Old 08-23-2014, 10:07 AM   #608

I also think having a fuel stop in Portugal would be wise, more fuel and better rest. I have not said that to Richard.

Anyone here is free to text Dauntless, he likes the interaction.

When I was texting Richard about fuel, range, etc, mostly I try and do it asking questions, provoking a conversation about the facts.

This is HIS cruise, he is at sea not us.

In my view, only someone Richard knows, with the sea time behind them should freely give him advice. That is my view. Anyone here stating he should do this or he should do that is not adding any value. Richard can not read it.

If Richard ask for something, I think it is great many here are willing to send him a new tidbit of info that will, hopefully, help him to make good decisions.
Old 08-23-2014, 10:29 AM   #609

City: St Louis
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebyu View Post
I also think having a fuel stop in Portugal would be wise, more fuel and better rest. I have not said that to Richard.

When I was texting Richard about fuel, range, etc, mostly I try and do it asking questions, provoking a conversation about the facts.

In my view, only someone Richard knows, with the sea time behind them should freely give him advice. That is my view. Anyone here stating he should do this or he should do that is not adding any value. Richard can not read it.

If Richard ask for something, I think it is great many here are willing to send him a new tidbit of info that will, hopefully, help him to make good decisions.
I've kept my interaction with him limited to subjects I am keenly familiar with - the best pubs in Waterford!!
Animal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 10:34 AM   #610
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebyu View Post

Yes BUT --- Richard chose to use this and other Forums over the years for advice and feedback on his planned travels. In this case, the social networks may not be your friend.

The only comment I have regards Post 426 where he elected to go light on fuel while in Horta. For future blue water travelers on long voyages, my unsolicted advice is to go long not light on food, water, fuel or sail cloth.

Godspeed Richard
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 10:52 AM   #611
Guru

I wish him the best but would not communicate with him. IMO single point of contact is best to limit confusion and disturb his thinking. We can debate all we want at the dock but not now. He has his trusted contacts so my comments are for their consideration.
Old 08-23-2014, 10:58 AM   #612
Guru

City: Port Townsend Washington
Vessel Name: " OTTER "
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander Europa 40
Looking at the GRIB files for the next few days does cause me to raise a eyebrow.. If he was under sail I would say it would be a interesting ride Monday and Tuesday.. depending on speed he could get some lighter headwinds as he gets closer to the Islands.
Being under power, 25-30kts off the rear quarters and the stern is not a killer.. but can be a real handful.. depending on how good the KK42 surfs and how strong her autopilot is. Taking into consideration he is solo I would more that likely if it was me, get to the beach sooner and re-group.. Shipping traffic is going to go way up, weather concerns, fatigue, possible language issues between vessels all need to factor into the decision to continue vs a pit stop.
We got creamed for 7 days once in the mid Pacific by a system that came out of nowhere and popped up on the forecast maps as it hit us, we got to experience what happens when fatigue and other factors all come together to kick even prudent seamanship in the ass. It is a big ocean out there.
I am sure Richard will make the decision to do what he feels is correct for his situation.. every voyage and experience gives us knowledge to step up our abilities and deal with the next voyage.

HOLLYWOOD
hollywood8118 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 11:02 AM   #613
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunchaser View Post
Yes BUT --- Richard chose to use this and other Forums over the years for advice and feedback on his planned travels. In this case, the social networks may not be your friend.

The only comment I have regards Post 426 where he elected to go light on fuel while in Horta. For future blue water travelers on long voyages, my unsolicted advice is to go long not light on food, water, fuel or sail cloth.

Godspeed Richard
This is Richard's cruise. But it's being discussed on a public forum. I gave any opinion to him prior to him leaving the Azores and no point now to repeat that to him as it's too late so not going to bother him with such things. He's going to do as he wishes and that is fine. However, here in a public forum it is a learning experience for others, current and future. It will be here for all those considering such a trip. And there are things to be learned. I would concur with sunchaser and expand to not go short on food, water, fuel, sail cloth, sleep or hands on board.

That's the difference between a forum and a blog. And no reason to send these comments his way at this time. I think and hope it's all going to work out for him doing it his way. But that doesn't mean that's necessarily the most advisable way.

It's a learning experience and reminder for me as well as we do have a future crossing planned. I was very impressed by much of his preparation and by his detour prior to starting the major crossing. Textbook in how to get ready. Decisions in the Azores, not so much so, but still hoping and believing all will work out for him.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 11:25 AM   #614
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
My prayers and best wishes are always with Richard. This is an extremely interesting thread to follow. It has surely influenced my opinion in doing similar to as Richard is accomplishing. Get it on Richard and... Good Luck!
Art is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 11:33 AM   #615
Guru

City: Biloxi Mississippi
Vessel Name: Patricia Louise II
Vessel Model: 1983 42' Present Sundeck
A simple request please. Can someone post a link to track the progress again? I can't seem to access the early posts on my iPhone.
This is great stuff.

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️
Old 08-23-2014, 12:15 PM   #616
Guru

City: NC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forkliftt View Post
A simple request please. Can someone post a link to track the progress again? I can't seem to access the early posts on my iPhone.
This is great stuff.

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️
https://share.delorme.com/Dauntless

I will post more thoughts later but I am working on weather updates for Richard.

Later,
Dan
dannc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 12:23 PM   #617
TF Site Team

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: LISAS WAY
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788

I find it amusing to read some of the comments on this thread where "sailors" who have never had, and never will have the bravery or fortitude to take on what Richard has, judge his wisdom, or his decision making skills.

Hats off to you Richard!
www.mvlisasway.com
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 12:26 PM   #618
Guru

This is an interesting site for weather information and how to interpret it.

Introduction to Frank's Weather Site for Sailors/ Franks-Weather | The Weather Window
Old 08-23-2014, 02:23 PM   #619
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksanders View Post
I find it amusing to read some of the comments on this thread where "sailors" who have never had, and never will have the bravery or fortitude to take on what Richard has, judge his wisdom, or his decision making skills.

Hats off to you Richard!
Years ago when offshore racing the navigator of choice on one boat I crewed was a WWII pilot from the Pacific campaign. He did not like the water after dozens of carrier sorties. Nor was he a lifetime boater but his decision making skills when it came to getting us there and reading the weather were superb.

I will be the first to admit I lack the bravery to do it Richard's way. But "Lessons Learned" as the outcome of this trip will be helpful to many of us who are interested.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 02:38 PM   #620
Guru

City: Biloxi Mississippi
Vessel Name: Patricia Louise II
Vessel Model: 1983 42' Present Sundeck
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannc View Post
https://share.delorme.com/Dauntless

I will post more thoughts later but I am working on weather updates for Richard.

Later,

Dan

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️