Old 08-05-2014, 08:25 AM   #281
TF Site Team

City: Chicago, IL
Vessel Name: Bay Pelican
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
The majority of sail boats that cross the Atlantic from Europe to the Eastern Caribbean are manned by just one couple. As long as the Krogen's engine runs well the Krogen with a pilot house berth would be much easier on a couple than a sail boat requiring sail adjustments and for someone to be on deck at the helm. The problem for a couple is when things go wrong, injury or mechanical breakdown. Friend doing an open water return from the Eastern Caribbean fell on his back and could not walk or stand up for the remaining three days of the trip. I was doing an overnight through the Mona passage in large seas when the bolts for the pump for my stabilizers sheared off and I had to spend hours being bounced around in the engine room while we proceeded with the wing engine and I did a temporary repair. Worked through my sleep period. Both situations pushed the couples to their limits and these were relatively short hops.

Old 08-05-2014, 08:42 AM   #282
Guru

City: Georgia
Just now, they're showing

Speed: 9.52 mph

He's booking out.

Still, looks like tonight or tomorrow before landfall.

Rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 08:44 AM   #283
Guru

With regard to the watches, there's not nearly the traffic out there than in-shore or close to shore.
Old 08-05-2014, 08:46 AM   #284
Guru

City: Fort Myers
Very interesting Bay Pelican, thanks for sharing your experiences.
Out of curiosity, did they mention how they will return?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bay Pelican View Post
The majority of sail boats that cross the Atlantic from Europe to the Eastern Caribbean are manned by just one couple. As long as the Krogen's engine runs well the Krogen with a pilot house berth would be much easier on a couple than a sail boat requiring sail adjustments and for someone to be on deck at the helm. The problem for a couple is when things go wrong, injury or mechanical breakdown. Friend doing an open water return from the Eastern Caribbean fell on his back and could not walk or stand up for the remaining three days of the trip. I was doing an overnight through the Mona passage in large seas when the bolts for my the pump for my stabilizers sheared off and I had to spend hours being bounced around in the engine room while we proceeded with the wing engine and I did a temporary repair. Worked through my sleep period. Both situations pushed the couples to their limits and these were relatively short hops.
Marlinmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 09:02 AM   #285

Vessel Model: Gulfstar 38MC
More from the crew this morning 8:30 est:

Last night was actually our worse night. I only got a few hours sleep.
Had a problem with a Paravane bird nit tracking straight, but doing some weird circle,

2. A circle, like a pendulum would do. We adjusted the angle of the poles, changed speed, course. No diff.
Finally, pulled older, bigger bird out of lazerret

3.and all was well. But by then it was 03:00 and time for my watch to start.
Had my last piece of SC pecan pie warming in the er.
Man, that was good pie.

In conclusion, I went I've size smaller in the second set of birds and I think they are TOO small, as the boat was rolling more too.

Another failed experiment, but, man, that pecan pie was good. Kept in the freezer so well too.

Since this trip began, Julie and I have never had a sense that we were far from land.
Don't know why.
We'll anchor in the port tonight, go to Marina in a.m.

Richard Bost sent this message from:
Lat 39.860468 Lon -32.674155
bluebyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 09:26 AM   #286
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksanders View Post
I do not have a problem with two people onboard, sharing the duties.

In open water at 7 knots I also have no problem with leaving the helm and getting a drink, or something from the fridge, or a pee break.

Not much happens all that quickly at 7 knots. And in the dark you cant see anyway.

On long passages, you need to do something to pass the time. Reading a book, watching a movie, or even surfing TF is just fine as long as you're maintaining a good level of situational awareness
What you've just laid out is a trip where everything goes along normally. Of course in that case two people, or even one for that matter would be fine. It's not about getting a drink or taking a piss. It's when things go wrong or someone gets hurt that you can suddenly use all the extra help you can get. Add in some sleep deprivation and things can get real interesting real fast.

Now what they are doing on their own boat if fine by me. It's just not the way I would do it if I could avoid it or if I was getting payed to deliver the boat.
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 09:39 AM   #287
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler View Post
With regard to the watches, there's not nearly the traffic out there than in-shore or close to shore.
It's not about traffic. But it always amazes me how you can be in the middle of no where with open water all around and the only vessel that pops up on radar is on a collision course.

If fact a bit of traffic can keep your mind focused and help pass the time on watch go faster.
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 09:53 AM   #288

City: Great Lakes
Vessel Name: NONE
Vessel Model: NONE
My wife's side has family & friends on Flores near Lajes, Richards problem will be getting into Porto Lajes if the weather and seas are rough. It is a very tiny harbour.

Incidentally, I have been trying the last two days to contact them in Lajes to meet Richard & Julie at the docks with a bottle of champagne from all of us here on TF but have been unable to get through. I even tried the Lajes tourisim/municipal office to pay someone to run down but to no avail. Oh well, I tried but I'm sure the whole Island knows they're coming now.
Capt Kangeroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 10:10 AM   #289
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Kangeroo View Post
My wife's side has family & friends on Flores near Lajes, Richards problem will be getting into Porto Lajes if the weather and seas are rough. It is a very tiny harbour.

Incidentally, I have been trying the last two days to contact them in Lajes to meet Richard & Julie at the docks with a bottle of champagne from all of us here on TF but have been unable to get through. I even tried the Lajes tourisim/municipal office to pay someone to run down but to no avail. Oh well, I tried but I'm sure the whole Island knows they're coming now.
Great idea. I would be happy to participate in the champaigne and maybe flowers to celebrate their arrival. Just drop me a PM.
http://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 11:31 AM   #290

City: Great Lakes
Vessel Name: NONE
Vessel Model: NONE
Way ahead of you Don, Flores means flowers in Portuguese and the island is covered with them but believe it or not there are no florists on Flores. That would be too easy as it eliminates the payment/credit card & language & delivery problems as often Florists will package a nice bottle of wine or gift with the order for a reasonable surcharge. If I could just get a hold of someone I would have paid them to pick the damn things along the roadside but no joy. Unfortunately I think we have lost the window however as they should be arriving anytime now according to what I read here.
Capt Kangeroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 11:37 AM   #291
Guru

City: Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Vessel Name: Old School
Vessel Model: 38' Trawler custom built by Hike Metal Products
Looks like they're about 50 miles out.
Gulf Comanche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 11:38 AM   #292
Guru

City: Long Beach, CA
Vessel Name: Heads Up
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 42 Classic
Which Island are they stopping at? The bigger one on the map? I would think so.
Capthead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 11:54 AM   #293
Guru

City: Upstate,SC
Vessel Name: The Caroliner
Vessel Model: Plans to build 30' Spira Sitka
I know it's too soon to celebrate, but I am happy they made it with fairly good seas.

ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 11:55 AM   #294
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Happy days are here again... Let us all throw up a cheer again... twas a sure safe voyage there and then... many smiles for are just for them!

I've been closely following this extremely interesting thread. Soon to be many CONGRATS!
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 12:02 PM   #295
Guru

It's 4 pm local time in the Azores, so late tonight their time when they get to port, early evening for some of us, west coasters adjust accordingly.
Old 08-05-2014, 12:09 PM   #296
Guru

City: gulf coast
Very fortunate that TS Bertha waited a week to arrive on the scene.
bayview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 12:10 PM   #297

City: Boerne, Tx
Vessel Name: HEY JUDE
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 36 Manatee #46
How fortunate we are to have enjoyed Dauntless' passage, approaching landfall & anticipated future journeys. It has kindled many dreams & a few fears. I'll gladly contribute to the welcoming kitty. Say when & where.
HEY JUDE, a 1986 Kadey Krogen 36 Manatee, #46 of 99. After 13 yrs on Lake Travis she's on Clear Lake TX being prepped for coastal cruising.
HeyJude is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 12:21 PM   #298

City: Northern California
I wonder how well they will sleep the first night in with the absence of motion and engine drone?
Old 08-05-2014, 12:36 PM   #299
Guru

City: Upstate,SC
Vessel Name: The Caroliner
Vessel Model: Plans to build 30' Spira Sitka
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler View Post
It's 4 pm local time in the Azores, so late tonight their time when they get to port, early evening for some of us, west coasters adjust accordingly.
I see you're in GA.I am above you in SC.Are they 3 or 4 hours ahead of us?

ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 02:10 PM   #300
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Count me in, too. What an epic trip in Dauntless. And to think this is just the first of many long legs!!

WTG, Richard. You da man!

Custom Google Trawler Forum Search
FlyWright is online now   Reply With Quote