Old 04-21-2019, 11:05 PM   #1
Al
Guru

City: ketchikan, Alaska
Vessel Name: 'SLO'~BELLE
Vessel Model: 1978 Marben-27' Flybridge Trawler(extended to 30 feet) Pilothouse Pocket Cruiser[
saw a Diesel Duck yesterday

Crossing the Queen Charlotte's on the Ferry Columbia Friday in about 5-6 foot Westerly, a black hulled Diesel Duck under stabilizers was bucking North. She was weathering well, but I'd guess hand holds were in play. Looked good. I will be watching in the next week if one such Duck shows up in Ketchikan. If so and I see her, I will make plans to visit. Cheers!!
Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 09:14 AM   #2
Guru

City: Victoria TX
Vessel Name: Bijou
Vessel Model: 2008 Island Packet PY/SP
I would love to get a ride on a Duck in some rough seas to judge how it handles things. I’m sure they are much better than my boat, but it would be interesting to be able to compare.
cardude01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 11:22 AM   #3
TJM

City: Essex, Ct.
Vessel Name: Harmony
Vessel Model: 1982 41' President
They sure are pretty hardy boats with awesome lines. Too bad they have a steel hull, banks don't like financing them. Love the DD 462
TJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 06:44 PM   #4

City: Cottekill
Why do banks not like to finance steel hull vessels?
clauspkinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 06:55 PM   #5

City: New Smyrna Beach, FL
Vessel Name: Mikala
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by clauspkinder View Post

Old wives tale....
Mikala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 08:09 PM   #6
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by clauspkinder View Post
I presume they have little experience with steel hulls for recreational boats.
Old 04-24-2019, 11:49 AM   #7
TJM

City: Essex, Ct.
Vessel Name: Harmony
Vessel Model: 1982 41' President
Claus, I do not know why banks / credit unions that I have checked with do not finance steel boats. In the NE the responses are similar. Maybe because I was looking at used boats, vintage 2000's ?
TJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 06:16 PM   #8
Guru

City: Anacortes
Banks don’t like old boats. Many of the steel boats that are accessible price wise are old.
ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 06:03 PM   #9
Al
Guru

Vessel Model: 1978 Marben-27' Flybridge Trawler(extended to 30 feet) Pilothouse Pocket Cruiser[
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al View Post
Crossing the Queen Charlotte's on the Ferry Columbia Friday in about 5-6 foot Westerly, a black hulled Diesel Duck under stabilizers was bucking North. She was weathering well, but I'd guess hand holds were in play. Looked good. I will be watching in the next week if one such Duck shows up in Ketchikan. If so and I see her, I will make plans to visit. Cheers!!

Well, today I thought I had found the Diesel Duck mentioned in the above post. I fear not, but did meet a charming couple from Hawaii who voyaged across and now up here currently in Ketchikan. John and Kathleen Douglas, They gave me the name of the Duck we did see and it turns out to be a frequent visitor to Southeast Alaska. The boat name slipped my aged mine but I know the boat.
Both are dark hulled allowing for the error.
Welcome to Alaska John and Kathleen, enjoy the current sunny weather!!!
Old 06-25-2019, 06:20 PM   #10
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: SONAS
Vessel Model: Grand Alaskan 53
Al, I take it when you said "under stabilizers" that they had paravanes out, otherwise how would you have known?
menzies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 06:35 PM   #11
Guru

City: Bellingham WA
Vessel Name: Hatt Trick
Vessel Model: 45' Hatteras Convertible
Quote:
Well, today I thought I had found the Diesel Duck mentioned in the above post. I fear not, but did meet a charming couple from Hawaii who voyaged across and now up here currently in Ketchikan. John and Kathleen Douglas, They gave me the name of the Duck we did see and it turns out to be a frequent visitor to Southeast Alaska. The boat name slipped my aged mine but I know the boat.
Al, a guess on the other Duck. It might be the David Ellis, owned by Dave and Dorothy Nagle. They are SE regulars and have worked extensively on the boat at Wrangell. Just a shot in dark on who it might be.
Old 07-02-2019, 01:17 PM   #12
Al
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by menzies View Post
Al, I take it when you said "under stabilizers" that they had paravanes out, otherwise how would you have known?
Picky-but expected. Yes, it would be paravanes, I am so awfully sorry to employed the incorrect term. I shall do 5 "Hail Marys" and beg forgiveness.-

"Al, a guess on the other Duck. It might be the David Ellis, owned by Dave and Dorothy Nagle. They are SE regulars and have worked extensively on the boat at Wrangell. Just a shot in dark on who it might be." Quote 'Ken"

Thanks Ken, yes you are correct.
Old 08-09-2021, 01:08 PM   #13

City: Chandler
Vessel Name: La Costa
Vessel Model: 2006 Diesel Duck 462 -Hull#1
Black Hulled DD

Quote:
I believe the Duck you saw was the DavidEllis. Good friends of ours that were in SE Alaska for a few years cruising around. They are now in Washington.
Sophiahjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 07:09 PM   #14

City: Wheatley
Vessel Name: Albatross
Vessel Model: Pocket Trawler Jolly Roger 33
I just noticed this thread because I am new to this forum. Diesel Ducks are fantastic seaworthy boats and metal is the best building material for boats, which do high latitude sailing. Alaska or Patagonia etc. You can have uncharted rocks, heavy logs or even ice in the waters where you are venturing. As well in tropical rivers you can hit something you could not see. A fiberglass vessel an be holed very quickly and lets face it, help will not be close by. I can say this, because “I’ve done this, got the t-shirt.” I, Benno, and Marlene, my wife, used to own the aluminum DD41 with a mast and sails. (marleneandbenno.blogspot.ca) We did not have Para vanes and truly did not need them. Mostly we kept the main up (114 sqft) with a reef in it. It was the best thing even in bad weather she was steady and tracked well under autopilot too. I have to mention that our DD was ballasted with 6400 pounds of lead epoxied into the keel. This helped tremendously. Best Regards, Benno
Benno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 05:46 AM   #15

City: Ft. Lauderdale
Benno and Marlene's DD is one I have used as an"example" numerous times for making various points as appropriate. I have cautioned that one may purchase the plans for a DD and then build them anywhere from Bill Kimley's yard to their own "back yard" and everywhere in-between and the quality, budget, and experience will reflect which. The DD mentioned in the post above is the best built DD I have come across. I have also used their DD as an example when "custom boats" come in to question. They exemplified how a superior vessel can be built even if by a yard that is not so well known. The knowledge and dedication of owners are probably the most significant factors in building a magnificent vessel like Marlene and Benno's DD. I was proud to have been the broker representing both the owners and the yacht.
Judy at JWY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 08:44 AM   #16
Guru

City: Bainbridge Island/Petersburg Alaska
Vessel Name: Oz
Vessel Model: Bluewater 40' RPH 1979
Curious about the name of the DD Dave Ellis. There is an extraordinary semi-retired mechanic,machinist,welder, etc. in Petersburg named Dave Ellis. He built the steel charter boat Chester B in which the craftsmanship would always amaze me when I was onboard. His son operates a boatyard in Wrangell. Given the SE AK/Wrangell connection, I thought perhaps it was named afetr him.

Hi Judy. Always enjoyed meeting you many years ago when you were in Seattle.

Tator
Tator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 09:00 AM   #17
Guru

City: Saint Petersburg
Vessel Name: Weebles
Vessel Model: 1970 Willard 36 Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tator View Post
Curious about the name of the DD Dave Ellis.
As I recall, this was a mash-up of the first names of fathers (perhaps grandfathers) of each of the husband/wife owners. Really nice people - he, a retired cop, crewed for me a couple times to build experience while the boat was being built.

Peter
mvweebles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 09:00 AM   #18
Guru

City: Boston Area
There is a wooden Diesel Duck on Yachtworld that I think is my "lottery boat"....ie: the boat I would buy if I won the lottery.....to me it just seems like the ultimate boat. I would rather have that than any 70-100 foot fiberglass modern yacht. I am not sure how practical it is, but there is just something about a wooden boat that tugs at my emotions like plastic never will.
Benthic2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 10:35 AM   #19
Guru

City: NC
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvweebles View Post
As I recall, this was a mash-up of the first names of fathers (perhaps grandfathers) of each of the husband/wife owners. Really nice people - he, a retired cop, crewed for me a couple times to build experience while the boat was being built.

Peter

That is what I remember on how they came up with the name of their 462.

Later,
Dan
dannc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 10:45 AM   #20

City: Ft. Lauderdale
"Hi Judy. Always enjoyed meeting you many years ago when you were in Seattle."

Thanks, Tator! Nice of you to remember me!
Judy at JWY is offline   Reply With Quote