Old 02-13-2019, 07:28 PM   #161
Veteran Member

City: Zhuhai
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genecop View Post
This is very disappointing, The Diesel Duck was high on my list, a story has many sides I would like to hear Bills position...
This is just my experience specific to DD542. As far as I know DD462s are well built without vibration. Of course no boats are perfect, so long the issues may be handled within the capability of the owner. Unfortunately for DD54201, vibration is not within my capability.

SeahorseMarineDD54201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 07:48 PM   #162

City: Kiln,MS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeahorseMarineDD54201 View Post
This is just my experience specific to DD542. As far as I know DD462s are well built without vibration. Of course no boats are perfect, so long the issues may be handled within the capability of the owner. Unfortunately for DD54201, vibration is not within my capability.

It doesn't matter how a product is if the company that makes it is unwilling to stand behind it. Imo they have been throwing darts it because they are unwilling to spend the money and time to truly find the cause and fix it. They keep dragging it out hoping you will get tired of the same old song and dance and just go away.

BIG CAT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 02:24 PM   #163
Grand Vizier

Very short sighted on the part of Seahorse Marine. Issues like this, once discussed on the web, are easily retrievable forever by anyone thinking about buying their product. Whatever it would have cost SH to fix this is going to be less than the loss of business they will likely experience, even if they can't quantify how many times a sale didn't happen as a result. The OP seems to have been as reasonable and patient as a consumer can be, so I doubt this problem will be dismissed by people who come across the discussion.

Seahorse, if you are following this thread, you should step up and prove you're worthy of getting people's business.
Old 02-15-2019, 03:56 PM   #164
Guru

City: Melbourne, FL
I once had an editor who said "Never pick a fight with anyone who buys ink by the barrel and paper by the ton." and this is the case here. The longer they let his problem persist, the more bad press they will receive. Fortunately, Mr. SeahorseMarineDD54201 does not have to buy paper or ink but can air his grievance in public here. Seahorse Marine should spend a reasonable sum to resolve this issue, and come aboard to educate the followers here, to help repair the damage that their faulty design, engineering, and support seems to have caused.

Getting pissed just because a customer aired their problem in public is a VERY short-sighted move. Doing the right thing early on would have resolved the issues and prevented this bad PR from becoming a thorn in their side.

This is the same issue with the almost new Back Cove boat that sank at the dock in Alaska. Back Cove says not my problem, but the owner has published two separate reviews of what likely caused the problem causing the sinking. As a result, when I see Back Cove or their family of boats, I immediately think "Thia is the company that put heavy outboards on a boat that sank and they didn't support the owner to make the situation whole again" and I walk on by... Sure, it may be a different boat, but the stink of one public problem can foul up the whole company.
stubones99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 04:23 PM   #165

City: PDX
Vessel Name: Lady Anne
Vessel Model: GB 52 Europa
This all seems hung up on the "bond" issue/cost to temporarily re-import (?) the boat into China. Is the bond for the entire cost of the boat? How good are the chances of getting the money back on re-export?
gsholz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 04:29 PM   #166
Grand Vizier

Quote:
Originally Posted by stubones99 View Post
I once had an editor who said "Never pick a fight with anyone who buys ink by the barrel and paper by the ton." and this is the case here. The longer they let his problem persist, the more bad press they will receive. Fortunately, Mr. SeahorseMarineDD54201 does not have to buy paper or ink but can air his grievance in public here. Seahorse Marine should spend a reasonable sum to resolve this issue, and come aboard to educate the followers here, to help repair the damage that their faulty design, engineering, and support seems to have caused.

Getting pissed just because a customer aired their problem in public is a VERY short-sighted move. Doing the right thing early on would have resolved the issues and prevented this bad PR from becoming a thorn in their side.

This is the same issue with the almost new Back Cove boat that sank at the dock in Alaska. Back Cove says not my problem, but the owner has published two separate reviews of what likely caused the problem causing the sinking. As a result, when I see Back Cove or their family of boats, I immediately think "Thia is the company that put heavy outboards on a boat that sank and they didn't support the owner to make the situation whole again" and I walk on by... Sure, it may be a different boat, but the stink of one public problem can foul up the whole company.
I believe you are referring to the Cutwater that sank at the dock, not a Black Cove. What little I know about Black Cove, they seem to be pretty well built and designed.
Old 02-15-2019, 04:36 PM   #167
Guru

City: Gloucester, MA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delfin View Post
I believe you are referring to the Cutwater that sank at the dock, not a Black Cove. What little I know about Black Cove, they seem to be pretty well built and designed.

Yes, very important distinction. Cutwater sank, not Back Cove. Back Cove is a quality boat built by Saber in Maine. They are the Toyota, where Saber is the Lexus of the company. But quality boats. I know first hand.
Old 02-15-2019, 04:49 PM   #168

City: New York
Nothing against the opening poster who is having the problem. But I would love to hear from Seahorse...The idea that the company delivered a defective product and then outright refuses to correct the problem is beyond disturbing and very hard to believe...

I know it happens everyday , But I guess I have been reading for a number of years about the many happy Duck Owners and I just assumed that the company was reputable...
Genecop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 12:01 PM   #169

City: Hong Kong
Hello SeahorseMarineDD54201

My name is Philip and I am from HONG KONG.

I would like to know have you talked with ship yards in Hong Kong about this problems and the potential reasons that caused the problem?
CPAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 12:36 PM   #170
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by stubones99 View Post
An equally big problem with the internet is posters are unknown to us and often get their facts wrong. I am familiar with the Cutwater 30 that turned turtle, but the Back Cove is a new dock talk item now too.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 03:00 PM   #171
Guru

City: Melbourne, FL
Quote:
You are correct and I was wrong about Black Cove. My apologies.
stubones99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 03:57 PM   #172

City: Kiln,MS
Quote:
Very short sighted on the part of Seahorse Marine. Issues like this, once discussed on the web, are easily retrievable forever by anyone thinking about buying their product. Whatever it would have cost SH to fix this is going to be less than the loss of business they will likely experience, even if they can't quantify how many times a sale didn't happen as a result. The OP seems to have been as reasonable and patient as a consumer can be, so I doubt this problem will be dismissed by people who come across the discussion.

Seahorse, if you are following this thread, you should step up and prove you're worthy of getting people's business.

What's sad is they have probably pissed away more money one half ass trouble shooting it. When they could have brought in someone to do a vibration analysis and find out what is really causing it. They definitely shot themselves in the foot with this one. Mistakes happen but how they are handled is very telling when it comes to dealing with company's. I for one would avoid them like the plague and I'm sure after there response many other will also.
BIG CAT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 06:37 PM   #173
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsholz View Post
This all seems hung up on the "bond" issue/cost to temporarily re-import (?) the boat into China. Is the bond for the entire cost of the boat? How good are the chances of getting the money back on re-export?
The bond is somewhere between 40 to 45% of the assessed value of the boat. My boat is likely assessed very close to its original price. The government would give the money back upon re-export, though it may take a while according to chats on the net. However I suspect Seahorse has reasonably good relationship with the government, and should get it back within reasonable time.

I did repeatedly urge Stella Zheng to borrow the fund from banks, for it would be returned anyway. Stella gave no reply.
Old 02-16-2019, 06:43 PM   #174
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genecop View Post
Nothing against the opening poster who is having the problem. But I would love to hear from Seahorse...The idea that the company delivered a defective product and then outright refuses to correct the problem is beyond disturbing and very hard to believe...

I know it happens everyday , But I guess I have been reading for a number of years about the many happy Duck Owners and I just assumed that the company was reputable...
As stated in Post #1, Seahorse has tried all simple fixes (therefore did not outright refuse to correct the problem). Seahorse still contends it will correct the problem. In fact Bill Kimely wanted to fix it right in Hong Kong until he got upset. We are now back to square one, that the boat has to be brought back to the yard, not at Seahorse' expense.

As stated in Post #1, DD462s in general in my opinion are beautifully built. I am sure many owners are happy with their boats. I would have been the happiest among them if my DD542 had been built just like theirs, without vibration.
Old 02-16-2019, 07:00 PM   #175
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPAY View Post
Hello SeahorseMarineDD54201

My name is Philip and I am from HONG KONG.

I would like to know have you talked with ship yards in Hong Kong about this problems and the potential reasons that caused the problem?
As stated in Post #1 Item 4, Seahorse engaged a Hong Kong sub-contract yard to replace the full size 3 blade max prop with a half powered 4 blade fixed prop for trouble shooting trial purpose. An additional Whip Bearing was also inserted from the prop end (Post #13).

During the sea trial and dry docking, the sub-contractor tossed up the possibility of prop blade clearance, damaged Cutlass Bearing, and panting, and in the end said these should not have been the problem. The sub-contractor did not think the shaft was too thin. However he did say as good practice, they never use Chinese made shafts, and recalled a case where a vibrating boat (not a Seahorse) was fixed after replacing the shaft with one made in Japan.

George Buehler later without being told of this, also suggested to change the shaft to a name brand (see Post #1 Item 5).
Old 02-16-2019, 09:54 PM   #176
Guru

What a sad story. Would the builder recompense you for interest paid/forgone for Bond and for Towage if a fault is found? When trust is lost,things get messy.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 08:26 PM   #177
Veteran Member

City: brisbane
Any update?

marcoh is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bill kimley, diesel duck, seahorse