Old 06-26-2018, 03:34 PM   #121
Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
So do you think the 2" shaft is impacting the 2 5/8" ID FG tube? Shaft would have to be quite a bit out of whack to get 5/16" eccentric motion. We get freaked out with 0.030" runout, way less than 0.312" runout.

Are you seeing visible runout in shaft between gland and transmission?

Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 10:46 PM   #122
Veteran Member

City: Zhuhai
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ski in NC View Post
So do you think the 2" shaft is impacting the 2 5/8" ID FG tube? Shaft would have to be quite a bit out of whack to get 5/16" eccentric motion. We get freaked out with 0.030" runout, way less than 0.312" runout.

Are you seeing visible runout in shaft between gland and transmission?
Not being mechanically hands on, I can fill my imagination with very drastic scenarios, and the shaft whirling against the stern tube is conceivable. However I don't think it happened otherwise it would have broken off ?

More interestingly is how you gauge/measure shaft whirling and runout at 0.03" ? Was it measured on boat or in machine shop ? How how to apply load comparable with a propeller ?

The next big plan is a Typhoon Shelter sea trial. With everyone's comments, I have an idea how to check for shaft flex (laser, strobe light, scoring, etc..) Right now I have no evidence of "gland and transmission". But I don't know what you mean by "gland".

SeahorseMarineDD54201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 06:40 AM   #123
Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
You can see a shaft wobble of 0.030" with bare eye. Gland is just a term for shaft packing box or dripless seal. Just watch the exposed part of the shaft visible in engine room and see if it wiggles (tech term is runout). Runout usually more pronounced further aft from shaft coupling to gear.

You can observe this tied to the dock with engine at low power, in gear. How much power you can add while tied depends on how well it is tied and what is around the dock.

Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bill kimley, diesel duck, seahorse