Old 01-10-2011, 10:33 AM   #1
Scraping Paint

City: -
A boat for Mark

This small, steel-hulled boat (I assume it's steel) has been on the dock in front of the Bellingham Yacht Club for a few months now.* I assume the owner made arrangements with the club to leave it there for the winter.* I've seen it in the marina from time to time in the past.

Yesterday I remembered to take my camera and when I went out to get the snow off our boat I took these two shots on the way.* I've been wondering if the make was similar to Coot, the boat Mark is having built for him.

-- Edited by Marin on Monday 10th of January 2011 12:34:27 PM
Attached Thumbnails
steel2.jpg   steel1.jpg  
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 10:49 AM   #2
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
A boat for Mark

It's definitely a minor variation of the Coot.* From the exterior it looks the same except for the lack of wannabee forward pilothouse windows and raised*stanchion railings on the saloon roof, and for the port hole in lieu of one rectangular windows on the starboard side of the saloon, I couldn't tell it apart from one made by Seahorse.

The boat's designer is in the Seattle area.* I wonder if a local builder constructed her.

-- Edited by markpierce on Monday 10th of January 2011 01:41:53 PM
markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 11:35 AM   #3
Scraping Paint

A boat for Mark

I've not seen the inside of the boat, and I've never seen anyone on it when we've been at the marina so I have no idea how it's powered, how well it's built, etc. But based just on the exterior design, it seems a very good solution to the challenge of making a user-friendly pilothouse boat in a smaller size.* I cannot tell if the pilothouse on this boat actually positions the helmsman at or higher then the main deck level.* On a GB, you step down into the main cabin so even though the helm position looks similar to this boat, you are standing lower than the main deck level.

As I have stated before, my personal preference for a recreational "trawler" is the pilothouse design. We have no interest or desire to run a boat from a flying bridge but a raised pilothouse combines an increase in visibility with a helm position that is "connected" to the boat where you can hear, feel, and smell what's going on in the engine room and with the boat's systems as well as get out on deck fast if you have to. The Fleming is our favorite design in a larger boat, followed by the Krogen and Victory Tug, but the design in the boat pictured above seems as though it could provide all the same advantages on a smaller scale.

-- Edited by Marin on Monday 10th of January 2011 01:40:01 PM
Old 01-10-2011, 11:39 AM   #4
Master and Commander

A boat for Mark

The Coot is a bit over 35 feet*long with a max. beam of 13 feet.* What's the size of this boat?

-- Edited by markpierce on Monday 10th of January 2011 01:40:10 PM
Old 01-10-2011, 11:41 AM   #5
Scraping Paint

RE: A boat for Mark

It appears to be about the same. There is a 1991 GB36 that's kept farther along this same dock (it's the boat we chartered before buying our own). The steel boat appears to be close to the GB in size although not in bulk or height.
Old 01-10-2011, 12:02 PM   #6
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'

Look's to me like somebody had a steel Eagle built. I thought it maybe was an Eagle but it's a bit different and surely looks like steel to me too. Compared to Marks Coot it's longer and lower w less windage (like the GB) but other than that I see no great gain that mark could experience. Now I'm thinking it is an Eagle. The house is definitely FG and it has a stupid simulated funnel just like the Eagle. I'll say it's an Eagle.
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 12:38 PM   #7
Guru

City: Toms River
Vessel Name: V E N T U R E
Vessel Model: 1996 36' Island Gypsy Classic

Noticed the boat has a lifesling on the stern rail. Had one on all my past sailboats. Wondering how many of you guys have them on your trawlers?

Sorry for the hijack.
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 12:39 PM   #8
Scraping Paint

It's a metal boat, Eric. I can't say if it's steel or painted aluminum. But it's not fiberglass. At least the hull isn't.
Old 01-10-2011, 12:47 PM   #9
Scraping Paint

A boat for Mark

Quote:
JohnP wrote:

Noticed the boat has a lifesling on the stern rail. Had one on all my past sailboats. Wondering how many of you guys have them on your trawlers.
One of the first things we did on our boat after changing the anchor was get rid of the life rings that came with the boat and instal a Lifesling in the center of the aft rail as pictured below.* For whatever reason they are VERY popular and common up here.* They are on the vast majority of boats I see, both power and sail, large and small.* I hardly ever see liferings on a boat around here.* We have an MOB plan that uses the boom on our boat to lift a person out of the water using the Lifesling.

Unless one springs for the harshell case for the Lifesling a modification that's good to make up here is to install additional drain holes (using simple brass grommets) in the bottom of the Lifesling bag to let rainwater drain out.

-- Edited by Marin on Monday 10th of January 2011 02:52:13 PM
Attached Thumbnails
la perouse 2.jpg  
Old 01-10-2011, 12:48 PM   #10
TF Site Team/Forum Founder

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Name: Floatsome & Jetsome
Vessel Model: Meridian 411

Quote:
nomadwilly wrote:

Look's to me like somebody had a steel Eagle built. .......The house is definitely FG and it has a stupid simulated funnel just like the Eagle. I'll say it's an Eagle.
I was thinking the exact same thing....
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 12:55 PM   #11
Guru

Marin,
OK I see you've seen it up close. Since it dos'nt have kinky wannabe windows Mark may not like it.* And since Mark has a Floscan he's prolly so fussy about fuel burn he'd prolly have his Coot.
Old 01-10-2011, 12:55 PM   #12
Scraping Paint

I will try to remember to take a closer look at it when we're up at the boat next weekend. The hull is metal for sure, but I haven't looked that closely at the superstructure so I can't say for sure if it's metal or glass.
Old 01-10-2011, 01:09 PM   #13

Hi Mark,

Diligence, an '02, 34' Seahorse "John Henry" is my vessel. * She has a 71hp Westerbeke, with 300 gal fuel, and 180 gal of water. *She's a 6.7 - 7 knot boat, has a steel hull and glass house.

We've not cruised her much, maybe a few weeks a year. *Her primary use is my office / apt while I teach a 100 ton Master CG licensing class at various locations around the Salish Sea.

From May - August, she's in Friday Harbor, where I work as a*Commercial*Assistance Towing Captain.

Seahorse made two 34' John Henry's before changing the same hull to a 35' Coot.

Richard Rodriguez
wb6nah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 01:45 PM   #14
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45

Quote:
Marin wrote:One of the first things we did on our boat after changing the anchor was get rid of the life rings that came with the boat and instal a Lifesling in the center of the aft rail as pictured below. For whatever reason they are VERY popular and common up here. They are on the vast majority of boats I see, both power and sail, large and small. I hardly ever see liferings on a boat around here. We have an MOB plan that uses the boom on our boat to lift a person out of the water using the Lifesling.

Unless one springs for the harshell case for the Lifesling a modification that's good to make up here is to install additional drain holes (using simple brass grommets) in the bottom of the Lifesling bag to let rainwater drain out.

-- Edited by Marin on Monday 10th of January 2011 02:52:13 PM
Is the lifesling that Item attached to the swim platform on your port side? Certainly would solve MOB situations quickly.

Ted

O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 02:28 PM   #15
Master and Commander

Quote:
nomadwilly wrote:

*and it has a stupid simulated funnel just like the Eagle.
My Coot will also have that "stupid simulated funnel."* I was thinking of asking the builder not be install one, but I learned that's where the propane tank is placed.

Old 01-10-2011, 02:33 PM   #16
JD
Guru

City: New Bern NC
Vessel Name: Stella Di Mare
Vessel Model: Mainship 34t

Quote:
markpierce wrote:

nomadwilly wrote:
*and it has a stupid simulated funnel just like the Eagle.My Coot will also have that "stupid simulated funnel."* I was thinking of asking the builder not be install one, but I learned that's where the propane tank is placed.

Don't listen to Willy (lack of sunlight this time of year)*the funnel is cool. :>))

JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 02:40 PM   #17
Master and Commander

Quote:
wb6nah wrote:

Hi Mark,

Diligence, an '02, 34' Seahorse "John Henry" is my vessel. * She has a 71hp Westerbeke, with 300 gal fuel, and 180 gal of water. *She's a 6.7 - 7 knot boat, has a steel hull and glass house.

We've not cruised her much, maybe a few weeks a year. *Her primary use is my office / apt while I teach a 100 ton Master CG licensing class at various locations around the Salish Sea.

From May - August, she's in Friday Harbor, where I work as a*Commercial*Assistance Towing Captain.

Seahorse made two 34' John Henry's before changing the same hull to a 35' Coot.

Richard Rodriguez

It's good to hear from you, Richard.**My 35-foot Coot will have an 80-horsepower (model 4045) John Deere diesel.* Tankage is slightly larger at 390 gallons fuel and 210 gallons water.* I expect it to be 7.0- to 7.5-knot boat.

An office?* Maybe*you're why the standard saloon option includes a desk.* A fellow in Seattle is also having a Coot built.* Instead of a desk, he's getting a house-sized freezer/refrigerator.

Old 01-10-2011, 03:35 PM   #18
Guru

City: Cruising East Coast US
Vessel Name: Grace
Vessel Model: DeFever 48

It's a good looking boat to me. Forward swept windows would have lengthened the wheelhouse and probably improved her lines me thinks.
Daddyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 04:34 PM   #19
Guru

Mark and JD,If I get a Nordic Tug the first thing I'll do is remove the funnel. Put the propane tank in a much smaller box on the roof. Or a bigger box and put more things in it. JD, I like your green hull * *..could use some green trim above the gunnel though. Maybe a red or yellow line around the base of the FB ?.
Daddyo,
If ya need a longer wheelhouse * *...lengthen the wheelhouse.
I think (like you said) it's a good looking boat to me.
Old 01-10-2011, 04:42 PM   #20
Scraping Paint

A boat for Mark

Quote:
Daddyo wrote:

It's a good looking boat to me. Forward swept windows would have lengthened the wheelhouse and probably improved her lines me thinks.
One of the reasons I noticed "Diligence" is that with its "conventional" pilothouse windows it looks very balanced, very neat.* Like a "small big boat."* Wannabe windows on a boat this small look---to me-- very awkward and ungainly.* LIke a backyard, home-made boat somebody cobbled together.

If there is what I consider a valid reason for an ungainly design form then I have no problem with it and it even becomes part of what makes the design interesting.* Pilot boats, tugs, rescue craft, fishing boats, etc.* But if there isn't a*truly*valid operational reason--- which I don't believe there is*with regards to reverse-raked windows on a*coastal cruiser--- then all I'm left with is the awkward look with no real reason for it.

With regards to the "wannabe funnels," I don't have a problem with them on things like Nordic Tugs, Victory Tugs, etc. as--- to me--- they don't look awkward and ungainly.* It makes for a sensible, out of the way place to put the propane locker and I understand that some boats run the cabin heater exhaust through these funnels.* But I don't disagree with Eric's position either.* If they weren't there I don't think the boats' lines would suffer.* The windows are a different story to my eye, however.

Bottom line is that beauty is in the eye of the beholder so my opinion is no less right or wrong than anyone else's.* If a boat has reverse-raked windows and the owner likes them it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks.* They're just something to have a discussion about.

-- Edited by Marin on Monday 10th of January 2011 06:50:28 PM