Old 07-16-2014, 08:12 PM   #21
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
Good looking 29'. I think the stripes do it well. It's hard to find more boat in under 30 ft..

"I'd rather be happy than dignified".
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 10:30 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cappy208 View Post
It's nice when you can afford to 'adopt' a stray when happenstance throws one right in your lap.Attachment 30256Attachment 30257

Thanks Flagold for your YouTube videos. You made me a believer!!
I guess we need to check in more often . . . Congratulations on taking in that stray and giving it a good home!

flagold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 09:58 PM   #23
Guru

City: Cape Cod
Vessel Name: Slip Aweigh
Vessel Model: Prairie 29
After logging a 900+ mile delivery trip, and lugging around all my 'new friends' the rest of the summer, the Choice of a Prairie has proven to be quite a good decision.

We have started the task of removing stray wiring, disconnected leads, and cleaning up duplicate wire runs. Each week finds new things to 'work' on.

Now, with haul out time coming, the 'rest' of the surveyors 'reccs' are being addressed. (In addition, some more practical items needing work)

Anyone looking to find a Prairie to buy, keep in mind the engine hours, the tank(s) condition, and the windows.

These three things seem to be (especially at this age) the key to affordability.

Each are about 10 grand a pop. If you can find one that has one (or preferably more) of the items done, the more valuable the boat is.
cappy208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 10:11 PM   #24

City: Baytown, Texas
Vessel Name: Islander
Vessel Model: Prairie 36
Well, I've been lurking on these boards for awhile now and I really like these boats. It turns out the Dad of my oldest friend of has a prairie for sale. It's a 36' and sounds like it's in similar shape to yours with very little usage for the last 10 years or so. I'm planning to have a look see and will use some of the things I'm learning in these threads to make a decision. I think I would prefer a 29' as a handier size for The Loop but who knows, I may be picking up a stray too.

Kevin
tallswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 09:35 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Cappy: you are pretty much on the mark with observation. Significant money can be saved by installing plastic saddle tanks, and using a local automotive glass installer for the glass work. If anyone is still following the Mischief - I would use caution going with 52 hp - this proved barely adequate in some situations.
Old 09-25-2014, 10:13 AM   #26

City: Merritt Island,Fl
Vessel Name: Sue Marie
Vessel Model: Prarie 29
Plastic tanks are viable solution as are automotive plastic windows. I was able to replace the original windows with new custom made, sliding and tinted windows for under $3000. There are several marine companies who can do this at varying prices. I highly recommend this company: Wynn Enterprises they are outstanding. www.wynneinc.com.

I have stated before if I were to replace my 4-108 Perkins it would be with a bigger engine like the 4-236 .

John
Sortie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 12:35 PM   #27
Guru

City: Cape Cod
Vessel Name: Slip Aweigh
Vessel Model: Prairie 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by flagold View Post
Cappy: you are pretty much on the mark with observation. Significant money can be saved by installing plastic saddle tanks, and using a local automotive glass installer for the glass work. If anyone is still following the Mischief - I would use caution going with 52 hp - this proved barely adequate in some situations.

You mention plastic saddle tanks. How big were the tanks you removed? I am contemplating removing the tank(s) next winter preemptively. But cutting them in half insitu is going to be a job and a half.

What size tank did you replace with? I have two 100's, and was contemplating putting in 2 20's and 2 50's. Figuring on all the putting I do around in the summer wouldn't use more that the 2 20's. And long trips I could open up the 50's when needed.

And, Sortie, thanks for the link. That place is awesome. I am so protective of my original windows, they make me cringe when anyone even leans on the panes. Nice to know it isn't a deal breaker to put a new one in.
cappy208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 05:59 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cappy208 View Post
You mention plastic saddle tanks. How big were the tanks you removed? I am contemplating removing the tank(s) next winter preemptively. But cutting them in half insitu is going to be a job and a half.

What size tank did you replace with? I have two 100's, and was contemplating putting in 2 20's and 2 50's. Figuring on all the putting I do around in the summer wouldn't use more that the 2 20's. And long trips I could open up the 50's when needed.

And, Sortie, thanks for the link. That place is awesome. I am so protective of my original windows, they make me cringe when anyone even leans on the panes. Nice to know it isn't a deal breaker to put a new one in.
Ours had 2 50 aluminums, replaced stbd. with 2 25 plastics from I know not where. We carried an extra 50 in cans for trips. Not the best setup for "serious cruising" but it worked for us just fine.
Old 09-25-2014, 06:24 PM   #29
Guru

City: Fort Pierce
Vessel Name: Florita Ann
Vessel Model: 1982 Present
I picked up a stray, poor girl, uneducated, did not know the proper way to dress, skirt way too short, poor makeup usage..too much. Undersized bra, falling out of. Young girl. I brought her home to help her, a good meal, poor thing needed help. Still do not understand why the wife was so pissed off.
Mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 07:27 PM   #30

City: Merritt Island,Fl
Vessel Name: Sue Marie
Vessel Model: Prarie 29
Our boat had two al. 50 gal tanks. Replaced one with 50 gal plastic. Have 100 gals of water. 100 gals of fuel is more then enough for us.

Mule that is funny.

John

Sortie is offline   Reply With Quote