Searching for a solid prairie trawler to buy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

308pj

I just returned from Afganistan last Friday. While deployed I decided to follow up on some dreams. Like most of you guys I love the water and want to be on it or in it. I am looking for a solid Praire. Please guide me to her.

We found ours by watching Craig's list and the various Yacht Broker websites. An advanced Google Search using Prairie 29 For Sale was also helpful. We searched for close to a year before finding ours. Good luck!

We bought ours off of Craigslist as well after searching a similar time for one. Yachtworld.com has 4 at the moment I believe. Best of luck finding a boat!

We looked for over a year,found her via Craigs list and a referral from a friend. Has been one for sale in New Port Richy.

John

Craigs list Tampa Bay area, Nov.17th P.29 listed. Looked at it over a year ago. He was sticking for $30,000,we offered $23,000. He know wants $25,000.

John

Also, looking for a P29. *What did you think of the one in Tampa Bay area? *I have written to the owner but have not as yet heard back from him. *It might have been sold. *We are looking at the others that are on Yacht World. *Any ideas of what to look for would be apreciated. *We have sold our sail boat, a Tayana 42, and are looking for a small trawler.

Thanks for your help.

Jane

He was slow in responding when I looked at his boat. I thought enough of the boat to make an offer. He was insulted and not realistic as to the boat market. The boat has some cosemtic damage on the stdb. fwd rail, and needed a paint job. Someone had painted her and not done a real good job. Structurally,she appeared solid. His gen set would not start,dead battery. She had the 4-236 Perkins,85 hp, with I think 4,000hrs.

Last price I saw was last week, 11/17/11 at $25,000. Good price for her.

Look for the windows, to leak, don't fret the cabin door, factory did a bad job. Just replace and be done. Fuel tanks, and engine issues are main problems to check. By all means get a surveyor.

They are great boats, lots of room, easy to run and care for.

Any help needed just ask. Where are you located?

John

We are on Cape Cod right now, just came back from a quick trip to South Carolina. *We saw a Prairie 29 in Moorsville. *It looks pretty rough.*We are thinking of making a trip down to see the other one in NC and the 2 in Fl. after Christmas. *Jim likes the perkins engine, that's what we had in our Tayana. *He knows how to take care of it. *What we want is a small trawler with very little to no teak. *

That was one of my reuirements. after years of sportfishing boats and loads of teak, i wanted less upkeep and more economy. I agree on Perkins. Just stay away from the 4-154,impossible to get parts.

Orginally from mass, we boated /lived in the Westport/Darmouth area. Good luck. The prarie 29 is worth the search, excellent little/big boats.

John

I've been watching the p29 in Mooresville NC. I live close to the marina it is in. His price is a bit high considering it's condition. In his defense, for some reason everything here in the greater Charlotte area is overpriced. I think maybe the bad economy hasn't hit this area as bad or hard as others, and folks haven't felt the crunch as bad.

Good luck to everyone looking.

Oh I guess I should introdue myself, names Mike, I've been lurking here for awhile. I realy like the Prairie 29. I first seen one after watching one of the members here you tube travels. Anyways, hello.

-- Edited by islandhopper00 on Monday 21st of November 2011 02:56:52 PM

-- Edited by islandhopper00 on Monday 21st of November 2011 02:57:49 PM

John, this is off topic, but I grew up in New Bedford, and am very familiar =with your old stomping grounds. *I'm sorry we didn't get to meet last year, as we would have hd a lot to share. *Anyway, we are refitting the Prairie this month, and hope to be done by 12/6. *Will you be going to the MTOA southern rendezvous next year? *Peace,love and joy Ric Cass, StrayCat, Hull #51. *941-223-3665

John, this is off topic, but I grew up in New Bedford, and am very familiar =with your old stomping grounds. *I'm sorry we didn't get to meet last year, as we would have hd a lot to share. *Anyway, we are refitting the Prairie this month, and hope to be done by 12/6. *Will you be going to the MTOA southern rendezvous next year? *Peace,love and joy Ric Cass, StrayCat, Hull #51. *941-223-3665

This boat has been for sale for over two years. *The owner owns two boats, bugt is firm on the price. *Not a bad boat, but never buy without a survey and sea trial. *In this case, an engine survey may be woth the cost. *Perins, however are awesome engines, though as I have a 4-154, I second the parts problen mentioned above.

What boat are you talking about, the one in Mooresville or on Craig's list. *

We love New Bedford area, I grew up in Mattapoisett and my husband in Monument Beach. *

Thanks for all your help, we hope to end up with a Prairie.

Jane

I was reffering to the boat in Port Richy,Fl. I grew up in Taunton, started boating,with my Dad, when i was six. He was an avid harpoon swordfisherman and kept a boat in Westport for 47 years. My wife and I lived in South Dartmouth, untill our retirement in 2000. Strangley enough my wife the Director of the Public Library in Mattapoisett.

The Perkins is a great engine, simple,rugged and relable. It fits the prarie imagine perfectly.

Rick, we have been working on/off for a year. It is now "done". New cabin door, new windows, new shaft,prop. Rebuilt steering system, re did ac wireing, painted interior, rebuilt the bridge latter and added new cushions and drapes. Drapes should be ready end of this month.

John

Sortie wrote:
I was reffering to the boat in Port Richy,Fl. I grew up in Taunton, started boating,with my Dad, when i was six. He was an avid harpoon swordfisherman and kept a boat in Westport for 47 years. My wife and I lived in South Dartmouth, untill our retirement in 2000. Strangley enough my wife the Director of the Public Library in Mattapoisett.

The Perkins is a great engine, simple,rugged and relable. It fits the prarie imagine perfectly.

Rick, we have been working on/off for a year. It is now "done". New cabin door, new windows, new shaft,prop. Rebuilt steering system, re did ac wireing, painted interior, rebuilt the bridge latter and added new cushions and drapes. Drapes should be ready end of this month.

John
*Is that the one with the dark blue hull?

I am Tim, Have also been "lurking" around here for a while. I saw the Prairie in Oriental a few weeks ago when she was out of the water....I want her, BUT first must sell my Hunter 33 sailboat (anyone?).

IF I sold my boat soon, I would seriously consider the Prairie 29 in Oriental. she has 9 small blisters on her bottom, but nothing bad. I also know the owner will take near 20k.

So, I read here and learn about Prairies and I thank you for the wisdom of all.

Tim

I have a 1978 that I've been picking at for 7 years now. She has new all tinted glass windows with screens, fully painted inside and out, light blue with white accents, bottom paint, new Frig and cook top achohol /electric Painted all exterior wood surfaces for ease of maintenance, lowered flybridge for a sleeker look, replaced all interior surfaces with nice and light white, removed and inspected fuel/water tanks, removed 50 HP Perkins and had a Ford 80 HP rebuilt and installed, will sell w/o power if needed, she sits in a covered building at my location in Indiantown, Florida and can be completed there for a reasonable charge. Thanks, Cadillac (772) 285-2266

-- Edited by Cadillac on Sunday 15th of January 2012 10:29:36 PM

Attachments

• cimg9275.jpg
    cimg9275.jpg
    121.6 KB · Views: 919
  • cimg9336.jpg
    cimg9336.jpg
    131 KB · Views: 293
  • cimg9277.jpg
    cimg9277.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 270
  • cimg2454.jpg
    cimg2454.jpg
    120 KB · Views: 402
  • cimg2473.jpg
    cimg2473.jpg
    134 KB · Views: 249
  • cimg2471.jpg
    cimg2471.jpg
    177 KB · Views: 254
  • cimg2467.jpg
    cimg2467.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 363
  • cimg2462.jpg
    cimg2462.jpg
    146.7 KB · Views: 250
  • cimg2385.jpg
    cimg2385.jpg
    120.1 KB · Views: 260
  • cimg2193.jpg
    cimg2193.jpg
    151.5 KB · Views: 760
I am selling "SECOND LINE", a 1981 Prairie 43 in "cruise ready" condition.located in Mandeville,La.. pair of Perkins 6-354 165 hp,less than 1000 hrs since rebuild,*12 kw northern lights prox. 1200 hrs. three A/C, 9000 forward & aft,16000 in salon that has new compressor. The yacht underwent a total $136,000 restoration 1n 1999/2000 at ft. Laud. Was a residence for five years when we bought it in 2005. All furniture and bedding remains. Just bring food and your clothes.*E-mail for pics.jahuff73@gmail.com* asking $100/K. cel 504-957-7785

Back
Top Bottom