Old 11-29-2016, 01:00 PM   #1

City: Central Tennessee
Vessel Name: boatless
Query on 2 Prairie 29s for sale

There is a Prairie 29 for sale on CL; been for sale for many months

https://fortmyers.craigs45k....list....887707131.html

Does anyone know anything about this vessel and why he cannot seem to sell her?

Also, another 29 on CL
https://sarasota.craigslist.org/boa/5837820017.html

he is asking 45k....seems he's done a lot on the vessel, but still a lot of money for a 29 built in 1979.

Anyone know of any Prairies (either 29 or 36) for sale?

Thank you.
kokopelliTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 04:01 PM   #2
Veteran Member

City: Vero Beach
Vessel Name: Lucky Dog
Vessel Model: Prairie 29
Yes. I bought one 3 months and looked at several but I don't have any links anymore: there is one in Madeira Beach, then the one with the big AC in the cockpit, I think in Sarasota. One of the dockmaster at the Fort Myers municipal marina has one. All those have the Perkins 4154.
Then, there are two forum members: Cadillac in Indiantown has a very nice one partially rebuild: all fiberglass work done. He has 2 engines to choose from.
A member of this forum has one on the East Coast. He showed her to us and it is the best maintained boat I have seen, great shape but he wasn't ready to sell. He may contact you if he reads this.
jacquesm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 10:16 AM   #3

Thanks Jacquesm;
I am still debating within myself about either a 36 or a 29,,,both seem excellent.

Do you find your 29 large enough inside to do all you desire to do?

I am looking to liveaboard.....so a 29 does seem like a small space...BUT very economical
Old 11-30-2016, 10:25 AM   #4
Veteran Member

The 29 is large enough for a couple: we don't need the second cabin. The only reason to pick a 36 would have been engine room size.
It is very tight in the 29. This makes maintenance difficult.
Old 11-30-2016, 10:28 AM   #5

Engine room size, although nice, is not my first priority.

So do you live aboard?

And for a couple the 29 is comfortable?
The bed is big enough for a couple? I am 6'2".....plenty of room?

Thanks for your input
Old 11-30-2016, 11:38 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I don't live aboard (I lived aboard a sailboat for 7 years). This little 29 footer is the biggest small boat I have seen. There is storage room and room to move around.
I stayed aboard for about 3 weeks when bringing the boat back from the west coast, most of the trip with my wife and it was fine. A couple can live aboard.
I have the vee berth version and it is large, probably close to 7' long and very wide.
Old 11-30-2016, 01:51 PM   #7

So I really appreciate your help here.

So having lived on a sailboat, and comparing the space and all to a Prairie 27; it is a good space?

I lived on a Hunter 33 sailboat and then a Marine Trader 40...both for 3 years each. I know the issues with living aboard; I am just trying to wrap my head around 29 feet.

So how did you take her from the west coast to Fl?
Old 11-30-2016, 03:30 PM   #8
TF Site Team/Forum Founder

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Name: Floatsome & Jetsome
Vessel Model: Meridian 411
Don't get hung up on the length...the number. It is a big little boat. I lived on mine for 5 years....almost 3 of those years with my then girlfriend. There is a lot to like about this boat. It has a huge amount of drawer space...and could likely be customized if you needed more. It has a huge hanging locker. The head is big enough.

My boat was Hull #55....the last one made. It had the open galley/salon area...not the U shape galley. So the open made it feel more spacious...I think. But I was always envious of the u shaped galley as it seemed more "shippy".

Anyways, if you don't feel the need for that 36, the 29 should do fine. My biggest complaint about the 36 is 2 engines. THat boat would be awesome with just one 6-354NA. I have no idea why they put 2. And if they thought they needed power, then put a 200hp turbo version. But man, what a waste...in my opinion. A waste of space and maintenance costs.

I am writing this without looking at you links above. I will look after posting and edit if I feel the need to say more. The P29 is one of the best boats I have ever had. If you can get it with the 4-236, that is optimum. It is a solid 6.7 knot boat at about 1GPH...maybe a tad more but not much. For a small coastal cruising powerboat on a budget, I do not think it can be beat. I shopped the Californian 34 and Mainship 34 against it. The Prairie won...although I think all 3 boats would serve very very well in the same capacity. The Prairie choice was my wife's emotional choice. I do believe the Prairie was much better built than the Mainship. Just overall glass work and wiring work. It was..."tighter" all the way around. I can't say much about the Californian because I did not get to spend as much time on it.

Edit after looking at links: The link to that first boat is broken. That second boat looks pretty damn nice. It looks like someone has put a lot of work into it. One of my cautions is that generator. If it is OEM, most generators of that era that were 7.5kw are the Onan 2 cylinder screamers. It may not be...but if it is, they work fine I guess but they are LOUD as hell. That is a very small boat so it is hard to get away from the noise. Otherwise, it looks pretty dang nice. I like that they have put in tempered glass and aluminum frames. At some point in their history, OEM went from plastic windows and plastic frames to glass windows and aluminum frames. It just looks better...WAY better. That transition also took place with the cockpit overhang covering the cockpit. Again, it just looks good....shippy. Also that transition put glass around the flybridge "windows" versus plastic...again, just looks better. Let me look for a pic of my Prairie to give you an idea...
Attached Thumbnails
prairie2.jpg  
Meridian 411...T-Cummins 450C
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 03:39 PM   #9
Veteran Member

It's difficult to compare. My sailboat was 40' but very roomy.
The Prairie 29 living space will feel much larger than the Hunter 33 and I am certain that there is more storage space. It is a much smaller boat than a Marine Trader 40.
The fwd cabin is much larger than many 40' trawler and the boat feels much larger than what she is.
The head is roomy, the galley (in my model) is fine. There is standing headroom everywhere but I am 5-10.

I sailed her from Tarpon Springs to Vero Beach going through the Okeechobee waterway. I had a good breeze most of the time: 15 to 20 kn, gusts up to 25. Wind against current in Charlotte harbor created a short steep sea and that was unpleasant. I had to "tack" to reduce the roll.
Old 11-30-2016, 03:47 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Just saw the post by Baker, I agree 100%.
I have the 4236 and that was a major factor in my choice. It is a great, reliable engine.
I cruise at about 6.5 knots and burn less than 1gph. My first calculations show 0.75 gph with some generator time included.

Another good engine would be a Cummins 4B or even 6B. Cadillac has a Cummins that he is willing to install in his rebuilt P29.

I have also been in fiberglass production boat building most of my life and the Prairie is very well built, no risk of rotten stringers or cabin sides.
Old 12-01-2016, 06:56 AM   #11
Veteran Member

City: St. james city FL.
Vessel Name: White Pelican
Vessel Model: Marine Trader 34' sedan 1973
Looked at the one in Fort Myers, not bad shape needs some TLC. Had a mechanic check out the eng. no major issues found. I am 6'6 " tall and had head room in most areas and able to lay out flat in the bunk. I did not care for the interior plan, prefer the L shaped galley.It also had a window AC unit that made it hard to use the walk around deck.

For me the price was much higher then I was willing to spend. Looked at another 29 in up state N.Y. price was right but needed to get it to SW Florida so I passed on that one. It was perched by some one who sallied it down to VA. It may be up for sale again, check other posts here. I ended up with a 34' MT at the right price and much closer to SW Florida.
milt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 10:05 AM   #12

Thanks everyone for your help, advice and suggestions. It is great to hear from people who actually know this type of boat.

I suppose the next step would be to actually find a Prairie 29 near me somewhere near eastern NC and just sort of get the feel.

Anyone know of anyone around that would allow me to visit and just see how she feels?

I am hoping to find a Prairie and maybe, just maybe, be living aboard within the next year...we shall see.

Thanks again.

Tim
Old 12-01-2016, 11:34 AM   #13
FOG
Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: DreamQuest
Vessel Model: Prairie 36
There is a Prairie 29 in the same marina that I am in, Harbor Village, Hampstead NC. I met him but don't have contact info. I'll ask about a visit next time I see him at the marina.

BTW, I like many things about my Prairie 36. We came from a 53' Motor Sailor in Southern California, so the tighter quarters were a concern. I feel a little room on the boat to separate is good for the marriage. But I think she'll be a good "Loop" boat for us.
FOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 02:27 PM   #14

City: Bradenton
I just bought a Prairie 29 in Cape Coral it was also on Craigslist.
The input sounded good.

Sandy
aduchart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 08:09 PM   #15
Guru

City: Cape Cod
Vessel Name: Slip Aweigh
Three year owner of a '29. My only concern (regret) is that she is 'just a tad' slow. 6.3 kts at approx .75 gl hr. Can't complain about that. I can push her to about 8 knots if I have to. BUT fuel burn is about 5 an hour. Too much for this cheap New England boater! I used the boat this summer and put 30 gallons in her. About 26 hours on the engine and 4 hours on the Gen.

When looking for a boat I had to keep 6'2" in mind for my son in law. This boat fits him. The Vee berth is YUGE. I have not seen a Prairie with the Vee insert made with a good mattress. BUT to make a huge Berth you would have to make that insert. The other thing, once you put the insert in there will be no step to climb up into bed. You'd have to make a step to getup on the bunk. The PO replaced the mattress with two memory foam mattress. My boat has WAY better mattress' than my home! But we don't have the Vee insert. I have the 4.236 engine. Dependable. Rolly Polly Yup. I get to tack when it's over 2 or 3'. I moved from a Ranger 30' to the trawler. Way more room, WAY more light, Way more comfort and livability. The 12' beam is HUGE. The previously mentioned hull was a clincher. Solid glass. The longitudinal stringers are SOLID glass Hat style stringers. The deck and house have plywood or balsa core (:-( . But the hull is bulletproof. I installed a garboard drain. 7/8ths inch thick solid hull.

I read on another website that the Prairie was perfect for three couples for a day trip, two couples for an overnight (or two) and PERFECT for a couple for liveaboard (long trips). This was an excellent interpretation of the Prairies lifestyle.
cappy208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 09:41 PM   #16

City: Wrightsville Beach, NC
Vessel Name: Time & Tide
Vessel Model: 2005 34T Mainship
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokopelliTim View Post
Thanks everyone for your help, advice and suggestions. It is great to hear from people who actually know this type of boat.

I suppose the next step would be to actually find a Prairie 29 near me somewhere near eastern NC and just sort of get the feel.

Anyone know of anyone around that would allow me to visit and just see how she feels?

I am hoping to find a Prairie and maybe, just maybe, be living aboard within the next year...we shall see.

Thanks again.

Tim
Check with Sailormike his website is here: Home of the Miss Dot Dee 29' Prairie Trawler
Todd R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 11:18 AM   #17

City: Stafford, VA
Vessel Name: Cummins Twice
Vessel Model: 1985 Chris Craft 268 Commander
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokopelliTim View Post
There is a Prairie 29 for sale on CL; been for sale for many months

https://fortmyers.craigs45k....list....887707131.html

Does anyone know anything about this vessel and why he cannot seem to sell her?

Also, another 29 on CL
https://sarasota.craigslist.org/boa/5837820017.html

he is asking 45k....seems he's done a lot on the vessel, but still a lot of money for a 29 built in 1979.

Anyone know of any Prairies (either 29 or 36) for sale?

Thank you.

I have one I one I am thinking about selling. Look at UNA MAS post on the Prairie section.
UNA MAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 06:17 AM   #18

City: LAFAYETTE,LA
Vessel Name: Relenti
Vessel Model: Atlantic 30, 1983
You might put the Atlantic 30 on your search list-Same hull as the Prairie 29 with a few different floor plans-I bought one 2 years ago and have enjoyed having it
ddalme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 10:30 AM   #19
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddalme View Post
You might put the Atlantic 30 on your search list-Same hull as the Prairie 29 with a few different floor plans-I bought one 2 years ago and have enjoyed having it

Thanks for sharing, that's a nice piece of information to know.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 03:08 PM   #20
Guru

City: Cape Cod
Vessel Name: Slip Aweigh
Query on 2 Prairie 29s for sale

The 'Campion 300 and 310' are quite similar as well. Made in BC. About 2 dozen around. All had original mercruiser 130 inboard gas engines. Just weren't finished as well as the prairie or Atlantic.
http://www.thunderbirdmarine.com/boat-info.php?ID=3803
cappy208 is offline   Reply With Quote