Proud Mary renovation status

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What to do on a snowy, rainy and cold day? Replace hoses on the engine.
The hoses were painted and so hard some crumbled and cracked when I pulled them off. I originally thought I would buy new hoses and clamps as backups but after the first hose and second clamp crumbled I knew they all needed to be replaced.

Who in their right mind would think, painting hoses is okay?

Looks good. I have my port engine out right now and replacing hoses is happening along with the transmission damper. Took the old damper out and it has a couple of areas that are starting to crack so now must be the right time for replacement.

The previous owner said the prior owner had a rebuilt engine installed. It’s a 1997 engine in a 1978 boat. I guess they thought painting everything will make it appear rebuilt?

Looks good. I have my port engine out right now and replacing hoses is happening along with the transmission damper. Took the old damper out and it has a couple of areas that are starting to crack so now must be the right time for replacement.

Do all the necessary repairs and replacements now when you can get easier access to the components. I’m 6’3” and I struggle to perform unwanted yoga maneuvers to gain access to certain items.

That is what I am doing. I was going to replace the fuel tank but back issues have me working much less than i had planned on so I am just redoing everything that needs it while I have good access.

While I agree with you, many companies and re-builders paint everything. I saw a pic of the engine I am planning to buy for the boat and all the hoses on it are painted. When I briefly worked as an industrial tech, everything I touched with an engine had the hoses painted. I can't say if it helped or hurt but I'm not a fan of it.

While I agree with you, many companies and re-builders paint everything. I saw a pic of the engine I am planning to buy for the boat and all the hoses on it are painted. When I briefly worked as an industrial tech, everything I touched with an engine had the hoses painted. I can't say if it helped or hurt but I'm not a fan of it.

Painting a hose hides any imperfection and the paint shortens the life expectancy of the hoses.

Side note; NEVER paint the rubber part of the motor mounts. Destroys the sound isolation of the motor mounts.

Last edited:
During breaks in the cold weather I did some wiring. I connected the gray water pump and hoses and made the electrical connections to the water heater.
IMG_2362.jpg
IMG_2363.jpg

I had to replace some of the ground wires. Then when I took this picture I realized I forgot to use heat shrink. So now I need to disconnect and make it right.
IMG_2364.jpg

I started connecting the starboard and stern water tank freshwater pipes. I decided to use Pex with Sharkbite fittings. They are a bit pricey but easy to work with.
IMG_2367.jpg
IMG_2366.jpg
IMG_2365.jpg

It is good to see you are making progress.

Apparently, the PO of my boat...

4339-albums438-picture5509.jpg

Yes, that's a red rubber radiator hose, painted white, which I removed from the waste line from the toilet to the holding tank. :banghead:

Yes, those are lead ingots. They where in a box on the starboard side to counterbalance the 100 gallon diesel tank on the port side.

Apparently, the PO of my boat...

4339-albums438-picture5509.jpg

Yes, that's a red rubber radiator hose, painted white, which I removed from the waste line from the toilet to the holding tank. :banghead:

I bet that smelled nice!

I have learned one or two 45s are far better than one 90.
If you have to blow out a line be it a plugged vent or drain or discharge hose or inlet hose, the 45s make it easier to blow through.

That makes the engine what is known as a "Spray Paint Rebuild!"

If I am looking at a boat and the hoses are painted, it automatically makes me suspect EVERYTHING about the boat. I would much rather look at a boat that is original paint, even if deteriorated, than a hack job with a case of spray paint.:facepalm:

I continued to work on the fresh water plumbing using Pex.
IMG_2382.jpg
IMG_2398.jpg
IMG_2399.jpg
The last picture is the thermostatic mixing valve. Since we’ll have grandkids on board we wanted to make sure they don’t get scalded when they don’t know that the water can get too hot to turn all the way on.

We also added a water filter.
IMG_2371.jpg

After two years of home moving and remodeling delays we finally got around to unpacking the windows.
IMG_2376.jpg
IMG_2377.jpg
The packing box was starting to show the weather from being stored outdoors.
IMG_2378.jpg

Now we’ve started to assemble the fuel system components. It’s frustrating in discovering how many components need replacing or learning that they aren’t standardized. As an example the old fuel water separator used 1/4 inch intake barb to 1/4 inch npt then 1/4 inch npt out to a 5/16 barb.
IMG_2410.jpg
IMG_2409.jpg

I also installed the rebuilt lead weight box.
IMG_2408.jpg

I’ve neglected to post the progress of our work. My day job has been getting in the way of my hobby and future recreation.
IMG_2414.JPG
I finished installing the fuel water separator/ fuel filter, fuel lines and petcocks.

Then I installed a cleaned and rebuilt water strainer.
IMG_2419.JPG
And I assembled the mess of parts for the air conditioner pump.
IMG_2420.JPG
And I’m sure you all know there’s no such thing as standard parts. It seems like everything has a unique diameter, thread or fitting.

After trying to start the diesel by myself and learning about hydro locking my friends at the marina came to my rescue. We disassembled the fuel injectors and blew out the water. Then using the right sequence the engine fired right up. A very happy day!
I have a short video but I don’t know if the site will let me post it.

My lovely wife did a job that I don’t like. She tiled the backsplash around the medicine cabinet.
IMG_2500.JPG
This is the before picture.
The next picture is the rebuild.
IMG_2703.jpg
Then is the cutting and lay up of the glass tile.
IMG_3163.jpg
After it is trimmed out and the new plexiglass panels are installed it looks great.
IMG_3181.jpg
IMG_3185.jpg

The next task was installing a new faucet.
IMG_2480.jpg
IMG_2481.jpg

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom