Prairie 36 Windlass/Bow Pulpit Removal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rick.

Veteran Member
Hello All,

I know some of you have undertaken this project in the past. Need to remove my Simpson Lawrence 700 windlass and the bow pulpit so the later can have some FRP repairs over the winter.

I've loosened the 4 nuts from the studs holding the gearbox/motor, but the unit is not budging. I whacked it a few times with a rubber mallet and it now moves a bit, but not dropping down at all. Any tips??

Any advice on removing the pulpit?

Thanks as always!

Rick

Is the flange on the bottom of the winch directly on the deck? Any sign of a rubber gasket between them? Any posibilities for more fasteners to be hiding?

You could attach a rope or chain to the windlass and build an arch out of 3 pices of wood to pull up on the winch. Then tapping the winch w the rubber mallet may have better results.

Good luck.

I removed the pulpit on my 36. Just remove the bolts you can see, plus the whole thing is bedded with what I suspect was 5200. Search for threads on removing/loosening/softening 5200. I used wedges and a hammer. Probably not the most elegant method, but it worked in the end.

4339-albums483-picture2795.jpg

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom