Old 03-13-2016, 11:34 AM   #21
TF Site Team

City: Paris,TN
Vessel Name: William
Vessel Model: Outer reef 32
Congratulations on the purchase and the trip. LNice boat .

Old 03-14-2016, 08:44 AM   #22
FOG

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: DreamQuest
Vessel Model: Prairie 36
Thanks for the kind words everyone.

Cappy208, thanks for your engine troubleshooting suggestions.

FOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 09:27 AM   #23

City: Baytown, Texas
Vessel Name: Islander
Congratulations on your new boat! I'm launching mine today with new rudder shafts and bearings along with repairs to worn steering linkage parts. I'm looking forward to smooth leak free steering for a nice long time. The original parts lasted a long time even without good maintenance. There's always some thing to mess with on an old boat so have fun making her your own.

Kevin
tallswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 03:05 PM   #24
Guru

City: Southern Maine
Vessel Name: Cygnus
Vessel Model: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser
Oh, great. Now I have to worry about rudder shafts and worn steering linkage parts, too?

They say there's only one thing that's always working on an old boat: the owner!

Congrats to both of you, can't wait to get back in the water myself.

FOG, we're still waiting on pics!
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 10:40 PM   #25
FOG

Some pictures.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1117151521b.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	162.3 KB
ID:	49920   Click image for larger version

Name:	1117151522a.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	118.1 KB
ID:	49921   Click image for larger version

Name:	1117151423c.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	85.3 KB
ID:	49922   Click image for larger version

Name:	1117151421d.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	75.0 KB
ID:	49923   Click image for larger version

Name:	1117151429a.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	91.9 KB
ID:	49924  

Name:	1117151515a.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	84.2 KB
ID:	49925  
Old 03-20-2016, 09:23 AM   #26
Guru

Nice! That's hull #37, right? I saw that one on YachtWorld. PM me if you want me to add you to the Prairie owner's list, and send you a copy.

I love what your PO did with the interior; it's given me a lot of ideas. We've done a lot, but ours still looks spartan by comparison.
Old 03-21-2016, 10:22 PM   #27
FOG

Tom,

Thanks for the Prairie Owners List with my info added in. Very useful.

Yes, hull #37. The POs had the boat for over 30 years and were the second owners.

I thought the interior was OK but the Admiral has other ideas. Maybe I will start another thread as we start making some of the changes. In the meantime we are cleaning and going to do a little more shaking her down and some cleaning and removing older and non working items and just stuff and did I mention we are cleaning.

Ken
Old 03-22-2016, 06:34 AM   #28

I like your interior too! Especially the aft centerline berth. Mine is starboard. If we keep the boat long term we may change ours to centerline too. How is the aft head door set up? Mine swings out to port and I may have to change it if I go centerline. I'm a tall guy and need a long berth. lol.

Kevin
Old 03-22-2016, 10:53 AM   #29
FOG

Mine swings in to starboard and ends up next to the tub. Here is another picture showing how it is hinged and the short distance between the bed and bulkhead. Hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1117151430a.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	73.8 KB
ID:	49981  
Old 03-22-2016, 11:50 AM   #30
Guru

Mine is identical to Ken's. A centerline berth works well for us, and in fact was on our short list of requirements.

That said, it's not for everyone. For one thing, your head is under what for lack of a better word we call the "cockpit", which is really just a walkway aft. If you're prone to sitting up quickly, like to sit up and read in bed, or get claustrophobic easily, it's not for you.

The PO had bought a new mattress, but new mattresses are much thicker than they used to be, and it didn't leave enough head room. We had a thinner one in a guest bedroom that works much better. It was actually too soft for a "real" bed with a box spring, but works great with the hard support boards on the boat. And the guest room got a new-ish mattress that's more comfortable there, too.
Old 03-22-2016, 06:57 PM   #31

Fog, that does help, thanks. Tom, good points, I'll have to consider carefully before making changes. As it is, I love the V-berth setup on my boat as it is very roomy on both sides and I think we'll be sleeping there most of the time on anchor any way.

Kevin
Old 03-22-2016, 10:18 PM   #32
FOG

Funny story regarding the "Queen" centerline berth on our Prairie 36. My wife said there was no way she was sleeping on an old 4" foam mattress. So she bought a Queen memory foam mattress at Costco that was 14" thick. The Admiral likes to be comfortable. There isn't a Costco in New Bern so I put it in the truck with everything else we thought we needed to bring the boat back to Wilmington.
It comes in a big box with built in wheels. No way am I getting this box through the salon side doors. I take the mattress out of the box and I am able to squeeze it through the side door. Once inside the main salon I can see the mattress is tightly wrapped, so I decide to take it down the companion way to the master cabin "before" cutting the wrapping. I strategically place the mattress on the Prairie "Queen" size centerline berth and cut the wrapping. The mattress explodes into the Prairie "Queen" size centerline berth cavity ............................. and beyond!
OK to be honest here I have to say that I did measure everything first and knew the mattress was too big. I'm an engineer, what did you expect. But the Admiral says, "let's just try it" she has an MBA. I'm thinking it's foam, and I can always cut it down. My objective is to move the boat to Wilmington and not to start making improvements. But the top of the 14" thick mattress is level with the top of the side vanities and there is no way we are getting our heads into the "cockpit" as Tom says, claustrophobia for sure!
So the Admiral says we'll just put our feet at the other end. It worked for 5 nights.
Kevin, just sleep in the other direction. On the last morning I figured out the trick. Just bring your knees to your chest, getting your feet out of the cockpit, and then roll out.
Old 03-22-2016, 11:07 PM   #33
Veteran Member

City: San Antonio
Vessel Name: Betsy Lee
Vessel Model: 37 Atlantic Double Cabin
FOG - great pics, nice setup on the inside. Thanks for sharing. Our Atlantic has same setup on the rear bedroom and head, but we have galley down and bunks in the front.

We replaced our centerline mattress shortly after our purchase and had the same problem with reduced headroom.

We got one of these toddler rails for a headboard and now sleep backwards and love it! No more head banging when you wake up.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	31i9dQyNiGL._SX466_.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	9.1 KB
ID:	50006  
KneeDeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 03:00 PM   #34
Guru

Ken:

Funny story - but I wish you'd asked. That berth takes a standard "full" size (double) mattress. I'm amazed you got the queen size down there.

We tried sleeping with our feet in the cave under the "cockpit" at first, too. In the end we found that we liked the other way better.

I've heard really good things about foam mattresses, especially if you carefully select two or more layers. We were about to go that way when we decided to try the one we had in the spare bedroom. We're finding it very comfortable. Somehow the combination of the hard base and the way-too-soft mattress came out just right.
Old 03-25-2016, 09:02 AM   #35
FOG

Has anyone really measured the actual LOA of their Prairie 36?
We are moving ours to a different marina and they are very strict about LOA. We were looking at a 40 foot slip and they said if you are only 1 inch over you must go to the next size up, 45 foot.
So I got out the measuring tape yesterday and conservatively came up with 41 feet 4 inches. We reserved the 45 foot slip.
I also measured the swim step and bowsprit that I would then add to the boat length as a second method of measurement.
The swim step measured 23.5 inches at the transom. The transom angles in at the swim step, so knock off a couple of inches and call it 21 inches. The bowsprit measured about 37 inches give or take an inch. Add those two to the 36 foot length and you get 40 feet 8 inches. Everything I've seen posted shows the boat length to be more than 36 feet by 2 to 6 inches, so that puts my second calculation/measurement very close to my first.
Anybody else care to share their measurements?
Old 03-25-2016, 11:54 AM   #36
Guru

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
re: "headroom" in the master bed. Same issue with our C&L 44. I put in a thicker, all foam mattress, so diminished the headroom too much. Sleeping the other way around didn't appeal, but taking up the 1/2" plywood that the mattress laid on, the 2x2 framing below it, and putting the 1" solid blue styrofoam insulation right on top of the 150 gal SS water tanks got me the room needed.
koliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 01:56 PM   #37
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOG View Post
Has anyone really measured the actual LOA of their Prairie 36?
We are moving ours to a different marina and they are very strict about LOA. We were looking at a 40 foot slip and they said if you are only 1 inch over you must go to the next size up, 45 foot.
So I got out the measuring tape yesterday and conservatively came up with 41 feet 4 inches. We reserved the 45 foot slip.
I also measured the swim step and bowsprit that I would then add to the boat length as a second method of measurement.
The swim step measured 23.5 inches at the transom. The transom angles in at the swim step, so knock off a couple of inches and call it 21 inches. The bowsprit measured about 37 inches give or take an inch. Add those two to the 36 foot length and you get 40 feet 8 inches. Everything I've seen posted shows the boat length to be more than 36 feet by 2 to 6 inches, so that puts my second calculation/measurement very close to my first.
Anybody else care to share their measurements?
I faced the same problem, only I already owned the "35 foot" slip which had a maximum allowable length of 36'11" (they give you out to the finger piling.)

It was either not buy the boat, or remove the pulpit.

Without the pulpit, I get 36'6" or 36'7". It's hard to know exactly. I should measure more precisely while it's on the hard.

I'd estimate the angle of the transom taking up more length than you did. If you sight straight down there seems to be quite a bit less than a foot showing beyond the aft edge of the transom.

In case anyone was wondering, I covered the area where the pulpit was mounted with a sheet of Starboard, cut to shape, with a center section which hinges up when I'm in the slip. The anchor roller is attached to this center section. Once I confirmed this works, the center section was replaced with 1/2" aluminum. It gives it a slightly snub-nosed look, and I've been accused of mutilating the boat, but this allowed me to keep it.
Old 03-25-2016, 10:31 PM   #38
FOG

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
I faced the same problem, only I already owned the "35 foot" slip which had a maximum allowable length of 36'11" (they give you out to the finger piling.)

It was either not buy the boat, or remove the pulpit.

Without the pulpit, I get 36'6" or 36'7". It's hard to know exactly. I should measure more precisely while it's on the hard.

I'd estimate the angle of the transom taking up more length than you did. If you sight straight down there seems to be quite a bit less than a foot showing beyond the aft edge of the transom.

In case anyone was wondering, I covered the area where the pulpit was mounted with a sheet of Starboard, cut to shape, with a center section which hinges up when I'm in the slip. The anchor roller is attached to this center section. Once I confirmed this works, the center section was replaced with 1/2" aluminum. It gives it a slightly snub-nosed look, and I've been accused of mutilating the boat, but this allowed me to keep it.
What did you do about the railing? Do you have before and after pictures?
Old 03-25-2016, 11:19 PM   #39
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by koliver View Post
... putting the 1" solid blue styrofoam insulation right on top of the 150 gal SS water tanks got me the room needed.
On a good night when the tanks are near empty, does it sound like a drum beat?

Custom Google Trawler Forum Search
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 05:54 PM   #40
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOG View Post
What did you do about the railing? Do you have before and after pictures?
I had the local canvas shop bend a piece of railing to fit, and attached it with some SS rail clamps I found in the sailing hardware section. Not sure what the sailors do with them, but they've held up OK so far. One of these days I'll spot someone welding railings and see if they'll stop by and do a permanent job.

Before:

During:

After: