Old 06-19-2018, 02:07 PM   #221

City: North West Basin
Vessel Name: Moderation
Vessel Model: Sea Lord 35
Did a bunch of work on our 35 Sealord the past few years. This is the fly bridge before and after. Shes in now getting the teak sundeck removed and glassed and a new rub rail.
Attached Thumbnails
Flybridge before.jpg   Flybridge after.jpg  
ksceviour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 09:06 PM   #222
FOG
Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: DreamQuest
Vessel Model: Prairie 36
Great Loop Update

We started the Great Loop on 6/6/18 and are now in Manasquan NJ. We hope to move on to NYC Harbor tomorrow. We are having some technical difficulty getting our blog going, but once it’s up I’ll post a link here.
FOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 10:08 PM   #223
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
Sounds great. Have fun. We were in Manasquan 2 years ago bringing our boat home from VA. My wife left her appendix in Manasquan.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 06:59 AM   #224
Guru

City: Southern Maine
Vessel Model: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser
Here's one that's been on my list since day one. A very minor change that took a bit more effort than it should have, but is SOOOO worth it!

The only way to turn on my engine room lights was from the breaker panel. There's really no ideal place to install a switch that wouldn't be either inconvenient, or in the way.

So I went with one of these:

It's a "door jamb switch" like you'd use for a closet or cabinet. Turns on the lights when the door is opened (switch is un-compressed.)

The problem was, each ER light fixture had wires which went into a bundle. No way to tell which was "first" in the circuit. I also found there were TWO wires coming from the breaker, so I had to find where both went.

After hours of tracing and un-bundling wires, I discovered the first fixture in each string. First thing was to wire them together, so now I have only one circuit. The other, now-unused wire was coiled neatly and left for future use (an infrared ER camera or two.) One wire will be sufficient, because I've changed all the bulbs over to LEDs and they draw a fraction of the current the old incandescent bulbs did.

Once all that preliminary work was done, I drilled a hole in the 2x4 that the engine hatch rests on, and wired in the switch. The breaker stays on all the time (reducing wear on it) and the lights come on whenever I open the hatch.

Sometimes small victories are the best.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 11:43 AM   #225

City: Baytown, Texas
Vessel Name: Islander
Great idea Tom, I have to copy you!

Kevin
tallswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 09:44 AM   #226
FOG
Guru

I also think it’s a great idea. I don’t know how many times I have removed the V berth stairs and opened the forward ER hatch to find out that I forgot to turn on the lights.
Old 06-26-2018, 12:45 PM   #227
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOG View Post
I also think it’s a great idea. I don’t know how many times I have removed the V berth stairs and opened the forward ER hatch to find out that I forgot to turn on the lights.
Oops. Hadn't thought of that. I very rarely go in to the ER that way, and usually only after I've already got the main hatch opened up. I think I'll be OK, although I could wire another switch to each of the other two hatches (fore and aft.)

My thing was forgetting to turn OFF the lights. Especially when I had florescent bulbs down there. They'd put interference on the tach cables and the gauges would be whacky once I got back up on the flybridge. Also coming back after a few days off the boat to find the ER lit up was always a "Doh!" moment.
Old 07-15-2018, 10:09 PM   #228
FOG
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
Oops. Hadn't thought of that. I very rarely go in to the ER that way, and usually only after I've already got the main hatch opened up. I think I'll be OK, although I could wire another switch to each of the other two hatches (fore and aft.)

My thing was forgetting to turn OFF the lights. Especially when I had florescent bulbs down there. They'd put interference on the tach cables and the gauges would be whacky once I got back up on the flybridge. Also coming back after a few days off the boat to find the ER lit up was always a "Doh!" moment.
Sometimes I will also forget to turn off the ER lights even though my panel has a red light next to that circuit breaker. Living aboard while we’re doing the “Loop” I’ll check the electrical panel every night before I turn in, and every once in a while see the red light on, then have one of those “Doh!” moments.

You’re not alone, Tom.
Old 07-16-2018, 12:21 AM   #229
Moderator Emeritus

I replaced the ER lights with LEDs. I sometimes forget and leave them on but since they draw so little power I guess it isn’t too bad. I do leave them on when we are underway so I can see the ER on the camera better than with the infared lights on the camera.
Old 07-16-2018, 01:50 PM   #230
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comodave View Post
I replaced the ER lights with LEDs. I sometimes forget and leave them on but since they draw so little power I guess it isn’t too bad. I do leave them on when we are underway so I can see the ER on the camera better than with the infared lights on the camera.
+1 Same here.

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 11:03 AM   #231
FOG
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comodave View Post
I do like your ideas. I’m suppose to be reducing my “To Do” List, but it feels like it’s increasing. I guess that’s part of owning an older boat and being out here on the “Loop”. The good news is that I’m staying out of trouble because there’s always something to do. Lol
Old 07-25-2018, 12:48 PM   #232
Moderator Emeritus

We just got done painting the hull and sundeck sideboards. Replaced all the portholes, what a job between the two. It does keep me busy. In a couple of years I won’t have anything left to do except routine maintenance. I am in the process of installing a second MFD so I can keep the engine room camera and the depth sounder displayed all the time. Thinking about replacing my fuel tanks. No problem yet, but they are steel and 31 years old. I want to replace them before I get too old to do it. I may do one each winter and do a cleanup of the engine room at the same time while each engine is out.
Old 07-26-2018, 06:23 AM   #233

City: Central Tennessee
Vessel Name: boatless
FOG
I thought you were supposed to be done with all the maintenance and enjoying the Loop?

Oh yeah...we own older vessels so work is NEVER done.

Enjoy the Loop and remember us back here who are still putting things together and planning and hopefully might get out there one day.

Tim
kokopelliTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 09:35 AM   #234
FOG
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokopelliTim View Post
FOG
I thought you were supposed to be done with all the maintenance and enjoying the Loop?

Oh yeah...we own older vessels so work is NEVER done.

Enjoy the Loop and remember us back here who are still putting things together and planning and hopefully might get out there one day.

Tim
Tim,

Definitely enjoying the Loop. But as you said the work is never done.

We started a blog, but decided not to post everyday as some do, not to write much and just throw some pictures up every once in a while. Here’s the link for those that might be interested.

And Locks - America's Great Loop Cruisers' Association
Old 08-08-2018, 08:40 PM   #235

City: St James City/Punta Gorda
Vessel Name: Charlie Noble
Vessel Model: 32 Nordic Tug
Thumbs up Loop

Great pictures... Keep them coming.
Old 10-05-2018, 10:44 PM   #236
FOG
Guru

Autopilot Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOG View Post
When I purchased our Prairie 36 there was not an auto pilot in the listing. However, there was a circuit breaker for one on the electrical panel. The broker said it was not working and had been removed.

A few weeks ago I found the Course Setter 21 by Benmar control in the fly bridge cabinet piled up with some other stuff. There was a cable attached but a little bit of water started coming out of the plastic enclosure so of course I didn't turn it on.

I couldn't find manuals, but thanks to Sam here on the forum I now have an electronic set. When I opened the enclosure I found the compass cylinder is filled with a fluid. I think the fluid is suppose to be there but I'm not 100% sure. The manual doesn't say anything about it but it does say that is should be mounted level. So I think the compass needs to float like a regular compass.

I have a theory on how the compass may be providing electronic signals to the auto pilot circuitry but before I dig any further I'm hoping someone can shed some light on this.

Anyone have experience with this model?
I was able to get the Autopilot up and running. It turned out to be an easy fix. Just needed to be taken apart and then a good cleaning of all the electrical connections. Had I known that I would would have done it much sooner.

Anyway I got some good use out of it on Lake Michigan and continue to use it here on the rivers while doing the Great Loop. Even though it’s an older unit, it works well giving me some relief of hand steering for hours on end.
Old 10-06-2018, 07:41 AM   #237
Guru

Congrats on getting the Autopilot running. That can be a HUGE help on those long, straight runs in open water.

We never get to use it much in Maine, since we're always dodging lobster pots. Offshore it's great though.

Keep those loop blog posts coming!
Old 10-08-2018, 08:09 AM   #238
Ben
Guru

City: Clayton, NC
Vessel Name: Silver Lining
Vessel Model: Heritage East 44 / Twin Perkins T6.3544
Hi FOG,
Just started checking your blog. Love the Prairie 36. Amazing progress you have made. We moved from Wilmington a year ago back to the Raleigh area. Rough times after Florence but area seems to be recovering, if slowly.

Rediscovering Trawlerforum after a hiatus. Good luck on your travels!
Old 10-08-2018, 09:55 AM   #239
FOG
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben View Post
Hi FOG,
Just started checking your blog. Love the Prairie 36. Amazing progress you have made. We moved from Wilmington a year ago back to the Raleigh area. Rough times after Florence but area seems to be recovering, if slowly.

Rediscovering Trawlerforum after a hiatus. Good luck on your travels!
Thanks Ben,

Everyone says a picture is worth a thousand words, so we decided we were not going to write much in our blog. See the link in post 234.

If someone wants to know more about the picture, they can always contact us.

We are now in Green Turtle Bay with several other Lopers. The Great Loop has been a fantastic adventures so far, but we are going back to Wilmington soon to take care of business. We have been told our house is OK, but there are several fallen trees that have caused damage to our car, a shed, etc.
Old 11-17-2019, 11:46 AM   #240

City: vincent
Hey Everyone,
I'm the lucky guy that now has Fog's Prairie 36. When I first saw the ad on YW, something seemed familiar. Over our time off work last winter, I had read this entire thread in detail. It seemed like a project I would possibly undertake one day. Turns out, I was reading about my future boat.
We are very fortunate to now own Fog's boat. His level of craftsmanship and attention to detail is incredible. It was definitely a labor of love and we appreciate all of his efforts and all of the input from everyone on this thread.
If anyone has further interest, we will be happy to add pics of our projects and travels.
Thanks again Fog...
John & Michelle
Kona Guy is offline   Reply With Quote