Old 09-30-2018, 05:07 PM   #21
Veteran Member

City: Wrightsville Beach, North Carolina
Vessel Name: Miss Dot Dee
Vessel Model: 1980 29' Prairie Trawler
yeah working towards a 12pack lol talked to some of the key players and was told there is no timeline for getting the power on its been three weeks so far and looks like it will be 3 more but times are good my generator runs well and we are full of fuel. I gotta get back down and get my canvas on but I'm gonna wait till till I see what the tropics have in store

1980 Prairie 29 Hull #50
https://missdotdee.net
sailormike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 09:51 AM   #22
Ben
Guru

City: Raleigh, NC
Vessel Model: Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailormike View Post
yeah working towards a 12pack lol talked to some of the key players and was told there is no timeline for getting the power on its been three weeks so far and looks like it will be 3 more but times are good my generator runs well and we are full of fuel. I gotta get back down and get my canvas on but I'm gonna wait till till I see what the tropics have in store

I saw a Prairie 36 online with twin Perkins 4 bangers. How is the maintenance and/or quirks of the Perkins? Was a Lehman guy for 7 years...

Thanks

Old 10-03-2018, 12:46 PM   #23
Guru

City: Southern Maine
Vessel Model: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser
There are a few Prairie 36 owners on here, feel free to ask away if you need more info.

Your Perkins question was pretty well covered in the other thread where you asked. I have the T6.354 turbos, and IMHO it's over powered. I'd trade for the 4-cyl NA's in a heartbeat.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 09:27 AM   #24
Guru

City: Cape Cod
Vessel Name: Slip Aweigh
Vessel Model: Prairie 29
I have a prairie 29. Perkins 4.236. Hasnít missed a lick in 4 years of ownership. I have used a bucket of fuel filters though. And have gotten good at bleeding it if I get air in a fuel line. But all in all a pretty simple engine.
cappy208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 01:58 PM   #25
FOG
Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: DreamQuest
Vessel Model: Prairie 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben View Post
I saw a Prairie 36 online with twin Perkins 4 bangers. How is the maintenance and/or quirks of the Perkins? Was a Lehman guy for 7 years...

Thanks
I have twin Perkins six cylinders (6.354) engines on my Prairie 36. Iím not sure what the 4 cylinder Perkins horsepower rating is, but my sixís are NA and are 135 hp each. We are currently doing the Great Loop and I am glad that I have the horsepower I do, especially when going up river and overtaking a tow. Also when conditions dictate I can shut down one engine to save on fuel and maintenance.
I also had a Perkins in my previous boat and feel they are solid and reliable engines. A good source for information, parts, etc. is Trans Atlantic Diesel (TAD).
FOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 07:50 AM   #26
Ben
Guru

City: Raleigh, NC
Vessel Model: Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by FOG View Post
I have twin Perkins six cylinders (6.354) engines on my Prairie 36. Iím not sure what the 4 cylinder Perkins horsepower rating is, but my sixís are NA and are 135 hp each. We are currently doing the Great Loop and I am glad that I have the horsepower I do, especially when going up river and overtaking a tow. Also when conditions dictate I can shut down one engine to save on fuel and maintenance.
I also had a Perkins in my previous boat and feel they are solid and reliable engines. A good source for information, parts, etc. is Trans Atlantic Diesel (TAD).
The one with the 4ís, the engines were 85hp each I think. I had a 36 MT Sundeck with a single 135 Lehman, so 170 hp would beat its power, but 270 would be great where conditions need it! Thanks for the reply. I think the Prairie 36 is beamier than my old MT 36. Plus, I like the portlights over the sliders of the MT. May visit the P36 that is for sale though our timing is not yet right.
Old 02-16-2019, 10:24 AM   #27

City: New Bern, NC
Vessel Name: Ikarus
So its been a good winter of work on the boat.

Built a bookcase on the starboard side of the vberth. If Im going to live aboard, I need books and special stuff to make it all my home.

Cleaned the carpet

Had to stop a leak in the hatch in the vberth. So on a warm day, I resealed the hatch and also bought new lexan "glass" to replace the painted over glass panel. Leak is gone and more light. A nice days work.

Im getting the bimini sewed (several storms in the fall brought some tears in the fabric). Im also having privacy curtains sewed for the bimini and also for the awning in the aft area.

I bought a used Walker Bay 10 hard dinghy. A good buy on Craigslist. So I cleaned her and am in the process of buying the oars, oarlocks and figuring out the method of attaching to the boat.

Learning storage (where I want stuff, building shelves and getting appropriate sized containers for the areas)

Learning the various electronic systems and how they can best help me.

I am in the process of registering my Garmin products in my name and also with Active captain. Ought to work well.
https://theboatgalley.com/active-cap...-chartplotter/
Is a link to clearly describe how to combine the two.

A full winter time.

I have plans for the Spring (plan to paint the entire outside of the boat, except the hull.) A major move on my part.

It is fun, exciting, plenty of time to think and ponder what i need to do. And I still enjoy my Prairie each day.

A short catchup on my winter on my vessel.

Tim
kokopelliTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 12:01 PM   #28

City: St. Petersburg, Florida
Vessel Name: Mariso
Vessel Model: 43-ft American Boatworks custom
K-Tim:

Nice update!

Please let us know how you like that Walker Bay 10 after you have used her a few times. Are you going solely with oars? We have been looking for a light dinghy and the Walker Bay keeps rising to the top of our list.

Cheers,
Pea
Miz Trom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 01:38 PM   #29

City: New Bern, NC
Vessel Name: Ikarus
I looked long and hard at what type of dinghy I wanted. The Walker Bay had the size, look, and stability I desired.

I plan to put a sail rig on her (probably build it myself) to satisfy the sailing bug I always have! I began as a sailor and still love sailing immensely. I also enjoy the size, layouts and upper helms of trawlers!

Although it came with a motor mount; I plan on using oars predominantly until I get too old.....although there is a lady who lives aboard here and anchors out who still at near 80 yrs old uses her oars to row back and forth to land at least once a day in all weather.

I will let you know what i think once I get her in the water (when it gets warm) and row around.

Tim

kokopelliTim is offline   Reply With Quote