No Fresh Water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CapeBob

Veteran Member
Other than the air-conditioning, the only other system that doesn't work is the fresh water system. The pump works, but water pours out the open fitting seen in the picture below. I think capping that fitting would improve the situation, but what was attached there must be of some purpose. The picture below is of some plumbing that is aft and outboard of the starboard engine.

Also, is there a schematic of a typical Prairie 36 water system available? There isn't one in my manual which is suspect is incomplete.

Thanks,
Bob

Attachments

• 20170520_114233.jpg
    20170520_114233.jpg
    159.5 KB · Views: 119
As long as the pressure switch on the pump works (shuts the pump off when it reaches set point), I would plug it and see what happens. :popcorn:

Ted

Could have been something as simple as a freshwater washdown that was removed before sale. I'd replace the T with a threaded straight connector and crank up the system, looking for other leaks.

Last week I turned off the water at my galley sink, heard a slight pop and the pump kept running. Flipped off the CB and checked out the pump in the ER. All was well. Flipped the CB back on and water started running on the stbd engine. (It's first bath!) It turns out that the under-sink water filter acrylic canister cracked. I quickly bypassed it with a threaded connector and was back up and running in 10 minutes.

excuse my curiosity but what is all the black on pipes and wall? Dd something burnt there?
Considering the surface covered by the picture you look to have a lot of fittings!

Just a comment no bad intend.

L.

Unusual Color on bulkhead

excuse my curiosity but what is all the black on pipes and wall? Dd something burnt there?
Considering the surface covered by the picture you look to have a lot of fittings!

Just a comment no bad intend.

L.

Hello Lou. No, there is no evidence of fire. What you are looking at is the shiny backing of some insulation material. Up close it's more of a silver color. Yes, there are a lot of fittings.

Bob

Problem Mostly Solved

I took O C Diver and FlyWright's advice and capped the fitting. That solved the problem. The only fixture that's not working now is the hot side of the galley faucet and that shouldn't be too hard to track down.

Thanks again for everyone's help. Great forum.

Bob

Also, is there a schematic of a typical Prairie 36 water system available? There isn't one in my manual which is suspect is incomplete.

Doubtful. You sort of have to learn the systems yourself. I do have an original manual for my Prairie 36, and it's pretty basic.

Last week I turned off the water at my galley sink, heard a slight pop and the pump kept running.... It turns out that the under-sink water filter acrylic canister cracked.

Same exact thing happened to me last week when I went to recommission the potable water system. Turns out I'd forgotten to take out the canister when winterizing. Doh!

Mine didn't get the engine wet, but it could have leaked down onto the fuel tanks, in back where they're bedded in foam. Not real happy with that design element.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom