Old 12-26-2007, 04:27 AM   #1

new Prairie 29 owner

Just wanted to put my name in the Prairie forum list.

Jack
PrairieJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 06:13 AM   #2
TF Site Team/Forum Founder

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Name: Floatsome & Jetsome
Vessel Model: Meridian 411
new Prairie 29 owner

There ya go Jack. I owned a Prairie 29 for 6 years and lived aboard for almost 5 of that(29-55...the last P29 made). I know as I go along in my boating life I will look back on the Prairie Dog as one of the best boats I have ever owned. If you have any questions I may be able to help so PM me if you need. Take care and welcome to the forum.
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 06:56 PM   #3
Veteran Member

new Prairie 29 owner

Way to go Jack (living aboard). Welcome aboard sailor (I'm a former swab jockey also). Looking forward to your input.

Best regards,
capnwil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 11:58 AM   #4
Veteran Member

RE: new Prairie 29 owner

We too, love our Prairie. Not only is it exceptionally roomy for the size, but the shallow draft has allowed us to go many places we otherwise wouldn't.

A few videos of our Prairie (a series of cruising):

Mischief:

Mischief V:

Mischief IX: Jensen Beach to St. Lucie Lock:

Mischief XVI: Sarasota to John's Pass:

all the videos:

http://www.youtube.com/flagold

Happy cruising!
flagold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 09:14 PM   #5
Guru

City: Cruising East Coast US
Vessel Name: Grace
Vessel Model: DeFever 48

Capnwill,
My former boat was a '85 Albin 27 sport cruiser. Great fun!
Attached Thumbnails
dscn0279.jpg  
Daddyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 09:43 AM   #6

Hi Jack, I'm also a new Prairie 29 owner, and maybe you can help me.* I purchased the boat in the water in*Florida this winter and now I'm getting quotes to have it shipped up to the Hudson River.* Do you know how high it is from the bottom of the keel to the top of the flybridge, not including the bimini ?*Over 13'4" is a problem.* Enjoy your new boat!!my wife and I are inn love with ours, just the right size for the two of us.* If I can be of anny help to you please let me know..
Bill
farmerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 03:50 AM   #7

farmerbill

I have now lived on Trixsea for almost 3 years, love it.* It's a great little boat.
.The air draft on my Prairie is 12' from keel to top of wind screen, and weights about 15,000 lbs.* Enjoy your Prairie.* Any more questions Just ask

jacklohman@msn.com

Jack
Old 04-14-2010, 06:28 AM   #8

Jack
Thanks for the information. My wife and I fell in love with
Old 04-14-2010, 06:32 AM   #9

Jack,
I'm a better boater than computer user. My wife and I fell i love with the Prairie as soon as we saw it and took it out for the sea trial. Again thanks for the info and I'm sure I'll be back to ask more questions as we settle into it when it arrives up here on the Hudson River. Take care and happy boating.
Bill
Old 07-25-2010, 01:51 PM   #10

City: Wrightsville Beach, North Carolina
Vessel Name: Miss Dot Dee
Vessel Model: 1980 29' Prairie Trawler

There is a whole group of prairie trawlers owners. We are owner of Prairie 29 #50 i will find the link to the group and post it
sailormike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 09:02 AM   #11

City: Stuart Fl
Vessel Name: StrayCat
Vessel Model: Prairie 29 Hull #51

Loved you site and the video clips. *We too just bought a Prairie 29 and she sits in Baltimore waiting for us to bring her home to North Port, FL... not too far from you. *I have not even heard the engine run, but my husband went out with the broker and the gentleman who inspected the boat. *We love her for her size and are former sailors with boats ranging from 21' to 42' and extensive cruising. *Now we are looking forward to more gunk-holing etc in Lemon Bay and the West coast of Florida.I wondered if you could answer a few questions for me? *How much "rolling" do you experience with your boat. *Do you have propane and where is your tank located? *Do you find the boat cool enough without AC?
Our boat has had many upgrades and really does not "need" any additions excluding those that we all add to make the boat "ours". *Thanks for any info you may have! *Donna Cass
straycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 09:18 AM   #12

I just got back from the Bahamas the first of July, and the crossing from West End Bahamas to West Palm I had 2 to 3 footers on the beam and she does roll a bit but was still not too bad. I have propane and the tank is mounted under the ladder to the bridge, held with bungy cord to wall under port cockpit aft window. I have a/c but only used it when I was at the dock. I have a Breeze Booster for the forward hatch which brings the air in. As long as there is a breeze at anchor it's quite comfortable. Are you members of MTOA? If not go to our website and check us out, a great bunch of people. Call me before you get to Ft Myers on your way home to North Port.

Jack
239-272-8608
Old 08-18-2010, 10:33 AM   #13

Thanks for the info Jack. *We will make certain to call you on our return trip. *Just now, our propane is located in the upper helm area on the port side .... not sure we want to keep it there... pros and cons... Your location was one we had considered, and perhaps can fit it there, but we have a mount for the outboard to the left of the ladder.

Slo Poke came with custom stainless dingy davits and motor hoist... *Our boat was refitted extensively ..hull#51 made in June of 1980. *I am not sure just how many were made. *We had looked at 2 other boats which were not nearly as nice as our boat. *I also noticed that there were several salon layouts. *How is your boat configured? *We have a new dinette table but need to do something about the seating.

Our only delay in returning to Florida is my husbands departure to make a delivery of a 100' scalopper for research, to the Sea of Cortez through the Panama Canal from New Bedford, MA, with his brother who is a ships captain. *It will be a 30 day trip and I will return before he comes back to Slo Poke to ready her for our voyage home. * Pleas send any recommendations you may have for her and I will get on that site if we have not already joined. *Donna Cass
Old 08-18-2010, 01:16 PM   #14

Donna, the Prairie 29 will roll quite a bit. It has a lot to do with her hard chines and also being somewhat top heavy. Comfort underway also has a lot to do with the roll period of the weather you are in. Obviously, if it is more like an ocean swell, it is no big deal since the period of the swell will be long. But as you get into shallower, the roll period starts to match the roll period of the boat and things can get pretty snappy. This is true with any hard chine boat. Anyway, we did a lot of cruising in Galveston Bay which has mostly a uniform depth of about 10 feet which gives you short steep chop and can get uncomfortable when it is directly on the beam.

There were 55 P29s made. We owned #55 and it still resides here in the Houston area. There were two different exterior configurations as well as interior configurations. I don't know what hull number differentiated the two. On the later models, the flybridge lines were a little different as well as the fact that all windows were Glass and not plastic....including flybridge glass. Also on the latter models there is a cover over the cockpit. The interior on the later models had a galley forward and to port with really nothing "built in" other than the galley module. The older models had a U-shaped galley forward and to port with a settee/dinette aft and to port. I kinda liked the older ones but had never really seen one in person. Ours was the newer more open version which had the advantage of being....more open....but with reall no place to sit unless you provide your own furniture....

I'll be here all week....lol!
Old 08-18-2010, 01:27 PM   #15

I do think the cockpit overhang and the more angular glass windows give the boat a more substantial look. *The P29 is a BIG little boat!!!!
Attached Thumbnails
p29.jpg  
Old 08-18-2010, 01:49 PM   #16

One of the things we liked about our boat was the cockpit being covered by the extension of the upper helm. *We also have a galley that runs along the Port side of the boat with a little bit of room for a small dinette aft. *There is a table..a nice one that folds into thirds and a "seat" *that we will make more permanent in time. *We did see the older style u-shaped galley and disliked it as it had an overhead cupboard that cut the view and made her seem small and cramped.The former owner furnished the boat with a leather (?) love seat which is too low, but comfortable and a small 3 drawer storage unit behind the helm and works as an end table for the sofa.

The berth is the largest we have ever had in any boat we have owned, including the one in our 42 aft centerline Endeavour.

Previous owner also installed a new top loading fridge that is well insulated has a decent freezer. All in all we love her... just need to get to know her and her systems as she becomes ours.!!!!!!
Old 08-18-2010, 09:55 PM   #17

City: Merritt Island,Fl
Vessel Name: Sue Marie
Vessel Model: Prarie 29

While we have not closed on our boat yet, we are looking fwd to getting her set up. I have delivered a 29 prarie, from maine to SE mass. Impressive little sea boat. Johnis right they roll, but nothing that is scary. Excellent in a following sea and a head sea. Easy to dock predictable handling. Ours has the U shape galley, which is what we wanted. She has a dinette and sentee on the stdb side. The ac unit is in the setee.

I believe this is hull # 8 built in 1978. Much younger then me. Does anyone know the height of the bridge from the keel or waterline.?

Thanks for the information.

John
Sortie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 03:51 AM   #18

My hull is #37 built in 79, has the u shaped galley on port side and built-in settee with stowage under and table . I added a cockpit cover of stainless 1" tube with blue sunbrella. I did look at one 29 that had a sliding door next to the lower helm for access to deck. Aft of my Lowes refrig I have an outdoor recliner (I an 68!) and a book shelf under the aft stbd window. The TV is mounted above the refer.
The air draft of my 29 is 12' from keel to top of windscreen, 15' to top of bimini, and 20' to top of Air Breeze generator. I am a full time livaboard for 3 years now. I love my Prairie 29.
I'll take some pics and post them on facebook in the next few days, will let all know here.

Jack
Old 08-19-2010, 04:43 AM   #19

What is an "air breeze " generator?
Old 08-19-2010, 05:31 AM   #20
TF Site Team

City: Ex-Brisbane, (Australia), now Bribie Island, Qld
Vessel Name: Now boatless - sold 6/2018
Vessel Model: Had a Clipper (CHB) 34
new Prairie 29 owner

Quote:
straycat wrote:

What is an "air breeze " generator?
One of these........
No...not her, tho she can be a bit windy, especialy at night...or in the company of other members of the same sex.* It's the thing above, on the pole.....

-- Edited by Peter B on Thursday 19th of August 2010 06:33:46 AM
Attached Thumbnails
image138.jpg  
Peter B is offline   Reply With Quote