Old 09-20-2010, 08:38 PM   #41

City: Wrightsville Beach, North Carolina
Vessel Name: Miss Dot Dee
Vessel Model: 1980 29' Prairie Trawler
RE: new Prairie 29 owner

Quote:
straycat wrote:

What a great bot. *You have done incredible upgrades on the boat. *I was able to see all on my brother's computer. *I like the fact that your galley sink is in the center of the galley... ours is in the corner. *but we will live with her as is for now. *Just great work. *Is your sofa a love seat that opens out to a bed? *Is your berth big enough for two? *Did you add the storage on the starboard side in the birth area? *I'll most likely have many other questions for you including the oak floor in the salon .. Looks comfy! * Donna
Yeah we love the little boat and it.*She was lived on for 8 years by the first owner whom bought her new and he is responsible for alot of the custom work. Him and Bill Estes whom is a master craftsman did most of the work to my knowlage. Yes the love seat couch is a pullout bed. We didnt add the storage to the right in the V-berth it was there when we bought her but most likely it was there.

Jack when we did our cutlass bearing it was done while we were haulded out up at Bill's old place I'll ask him if there are any special tools

sailormike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 06:12 PM   #42

Quote:
Figured I would post some pictures of the old original tank and the new unsable plastic mart tank.

sailormike wrote:

Sorry Donna it has taken me so long to get back to you. It has been a busy week and an intresting one as well. Well I can whole heartedly say do not buy a water tank from Plastic Mart they do not tell the truth and do not stand behind there products. The new tank cam in 6 weeks after it was ordered and a a rotomolded tank when it was supposed to be a welded baffled tank. Filled tank up outside the boat to test and make sure all is well and I found that the best that I could measure there is at least two inches of bowing on the sides. The top is caving in at least 2 inches and the tank is trying to collaps. Now have to fight to try to get money back. enough with that makes me flustrated to talk about it. As for the transom door it was allready installed when we bought the boat I believe the first owner had it installed. Yes I did the water lines in Blue and Red PEX piping. its Great stuff to work with. Here is a website that has plenty of pictures of the boat on it and my work I have done to it. www.missdotdee.net
Attached Thumbnails
old tank front.jpg   old tank close up top right.jpg   new bad tank 1.jpg   new bad tank bowed side.jpg   new bad tank over and inch of sag in top.jpg  

new bad tank top caved in 1.jpg   new bad tank top caved in 2.jpg  
Old 09-29-2010, 06:25 PM   #43

Quote:
Here We go I got the New Well built heavy duty tank Made by Duraweld* http://www.dura-weld.com/*Gerth is a very knowlagable guy and I highly recomend his work. Also I Ordered the tank on a monday and it shipped on friday and I had it on a tuesday Built better than spec. If you need a custom tank give them a chance.

Attached Thumbnails
new good tank back.jpg   new good tank bottom baffle holes.jpg   new good tank front.jpg   new good tank left.jpg   new good tank right 2.jpg  

new good tank tab.jpg   new good tank top baffles.jpg   new good tank top right.jpg  
Old 10-31-2010, 08:02 AM   #44

City: Stuart Fl
Vessel Name: StrayCat
Vessel Model: Prairie 29 Hull #51

Captain Mike, we want to second your praise for Dura Weld. A couple of years ago we needed a new waste tank to replace our aluminum tank that had failed at the nipple junction. Dura Weld made the tank of solid high density plastic, extra thickness and with all the fittings in exactly the right place. When we drove over from the west coast of FL, they pressure tested the tank right there. Highly professional, easy to talk to and real craftsmen. The dimensions were critical because of the space limitations on the Packet Cat, and the tank slide in like an otter after a fish. Peace, love and joy, Rick & Donna, Straycat
straycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 08:03 AM   #45

City: Stuart Fl
Vessel Name: StrayCat
Vessel Model: Prairie 29 Hull #51

By the way, did you ever find the Prairie owners site? We'd be interested in joining. Rick & Donna
straycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 09:57 AM   #46

Sorry guys it has been a while since I posted I have finally got the water tank installed and now have the water system totally back up and running I was having a few issues with my accumulator tank and the water pump turned out that the accumulator tank had a bent broken schader valve in it from the factory I fixed it and pressurized it and that part of the equation is working much better. I had to replace the water pump however didn't like the way it was preforming or the lack of flow and pressure. It would putout about 25 psi with one faucet open the new shurflo variable speed 5.7 is 65 psi the fresh water works great now. I also had to replace the anode rod in the water heater and that was a task. I get tired of having to paint the bilge so often so I put down dri-dek mats. Oh one to the next dilemma which was that during that little tropical storm that hit us my front hatch started leaking around the glass. had to re bed it and now I need to do it again I used the wrong sealant. oops well in that process I found a section of*de-lamination*on the cabin top I repaired with epoxy and glass and sanded down the original molded in non-skid and laid down a new layer of Awl-craft 2000 with griptex in it.
Attached Thumbnails
dsc_0389.jpg   dsc_0391.jpg   dsc_0396.jpg   dsc_0401.jpg   dsc_0402.jpg  

dsc_0406.jpg   img_0675.jpg   img_0762.jpg   img_0763.jpg   img_0784.jpg  

Old 11-04-2010, 05:23 AM   #47

Dinata Misovec
Atlantic and Prairie Owners Association
dinata@gmail.com

She will help you right out
Old 11-06-2010, 07:55 PM   #48
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea

Hey guys, I know I don't belong on the Prarie section here, but I gotta tell you that I'm seeing some of the nicest big/little boats ever thought of. *I've been looking at 29's from time to time on Yachtworld just in case we ended up with an old house (30 ft. of dock space) that we had rented before down in Key Biscayne, FL. *Turns out that we didn't but I really REALLY liked SLO POKE up there in Baltimore, and I was starting to fantasize about having a 29 of my own. *But I have to say that you all have some of the neatest, funest boats on this entire site, and it's great to see that Slo Poke got such a great, loving home. *Sailor Mike......I never imagined that so much could be done to make a 29 a better, more versatile boat. *Good going guys, and thanks for the lessons. *I'll be reading with joy and awe as your projects proceed.
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 04:26 PM   #49

hi'
If there is a Prairie owner association or similar web site I'd like to know about it.* My wife and I purchased a 29 and would love to participate.

Bill & Cyndi
farmerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 04:31 PM   #50

Please contact Dinata Misovec at dinata@gmail.com she runs the praire trawler group and newsletter
Old 10-29-2011, 04:37 AM   #51

City: Melbourne, FL
Vessel Name: Miss Hanna
Vessel Model: Prairie Trawler 29

Another new Prairie owner to the list in Melbourne, Florida. I just took possession of Miss Hanna, CC/29-012. She's a sound boat but a little rough around the edges from disuse over the past few years. I have on the list a number of projects on the books to bring her back to her old glory. I hope to get some questions answered as I go along. The sanitation system needs to be reworked since it has an old non-working Electra San . I will also be working on some deck painting to give the old girl a fresh look.

Page Proffitt

Melbourne, Florida
Madeirabch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 05:48 AM   #52

City: Merritt Island,Fl
Vessel Name: Sue Marie
Vessel Model: Prarie 29

Hi,

*Welcome to the Prarie 29 family. We are just up river in Merritt Island. Working on our sanatation system as well.

John
Sortie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 11:58 AM   #53
Veteran Member

I guess that includes me too, think I've said it before, but we're going to install a Nature's Head (Airhead similar) instead of trying to re-work the plumbing.
flagold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 03:50 AM   #54

I have had an Air Head on both my sailboat and now my Prairie, I think it's the best way to go. No pump out, and help things grow. I love it.

Jack
PrairieJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 02:58 PM   #55
Veteran Member

new Prairie 29 owner

Quote:
PrairieJack wrote:
I have had an Air Head on both my sailboat and now my Prairie, I think it's the best way to go. No pump out, and help things grow. I love it.

Jack
*Thanks for that info, Jack, makes us feel better about the decision to do it. *

Another project we've done (in the last 2 weeks) is tackle the flooring in our Prairie:*

[video=
-- Edited by flagold on Sunday 6th of November 2011 04:59:15 PM
Old 11-07-2011, 02:58 AM   #56

Great job on the floor Matt. I know you will see how great the composting head is. Easy install, bolt down and run air discharge with fan. I ran mine up through the storage above the sink to a hole (old vent,had to enlarge) in the hull, and finished with a clam vent cover. Jack
Old 11-07-2011, 06:38 AM   #57

City: Merritt Island,Fl
Vessel Name: Sue Marie
Vessel Model: Prarie 29
new Prairie 29 owner

Jack. Thanks for the information. Sounds as if you are a believer. System seems to make a lot of sense. Any difficulties in the install?

John

-- Edited by Sortie on Monday 7th of November 2011 08:38:25 AM
Sortie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 03:58 AM   #58

I am a believer, no smell, no pump out, and it makes the flowers grow. Very easy install, just bolt down and run vent line. Has a small muffin fan 12v, that runs 24/7 to help remove the moisture. If you need more info let me know. This is the one i have installed.

http://www.airheadtoilet.com/

Jack
Old 11-08-2011, 05:19 AM   #59
Veteran Member

The alternative composting toilet: http://www.natureshead.net/ (there's some big threads on the airhead/nature's head but in fact they're roughly the same, the two heads of the companies were at one time apparently partners that split up).
Old 11-12-2011, 07:59 AM   #60
TF Site Team/Forum Founder

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Name: Floatsome & Jetsome
Vessel Model: Meridian 411

I am willing to bet if you put this in the proper area of the forum you would get more information on it...the head stuff.
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote