I am just about to put an offer down on a boat and now this......:-|

Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 01:59 PM   #22
Guru

City: Southern Maine
Vessel Name: Cygnus
Vessel Model: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser
<-- Prairie also made a 36.

It's not really for sale, but there have been a few times recently when you could probably have bought it from me pretty cheap. But it runs well and once I've corrected all the mistakes of the PO I'll probably decide to keep it

CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 02:06 PM   #23
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baker View Post
I am just about to put an offer down on a boat and now this......:-|
Stick to the plan, John. With your schedule you need a faster boat!

My passion for improving my boat(s) exceeds my desire to constantly cruise them.
Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 02:37 PM   #24
TF Site Team

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Model: Carver 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaHorse II View Post
Stick to the plan, John. With your schedule you need a faster boat!
Thanks for the vote of confidence, Walt!!!! I was planning on it. Now I just have to decide on style...ACMY....Sedan....Express cruiser. Two boats at the top of the list are a Tiara 400 Hardtop express(3208) or Carver 356(6BT). As you can see...very different boats. The two are asking $50 grand apart....but the broker says the owner of the Tiara is very anxious to deal...whatever that means. I literally had my mind made up last night on the Carver but the broker called and said the Tiara could be had for significantly less than asking.. Anyway, I will leave it at that to avoid hijacking any further....
Old 04-26-2013, 04:17 PM   #25
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baker View Post
Two boats at the top of the list are a Tiara 400 Hardtop express(3208) or Carver 356(6BT). ....but the broker says the owner of the Tiara is very anxious to deal...whatever that means.
Hijacking or not, I have to respond.
I had a 35' Tiara-Open which I bought brand new in 2000. The boat was finished off flawlessly but pounded like a SOB in a head sea. Kept it 10 months until a guy from Las Vegas knocked on my hull to see if I was interested in selling. I wonder if he still has that boat?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2460.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	94.3 KB
ID:	18690  

My passion for improving my boat(s) exceeds my desire to constantly cruise them.
Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 11:08 PM   #26
TF Site Team

That's just crazy, Walt. There is a 2000 model 35 that I was also looking at. It is a VERY nice boat and the seller is not likely to budge off of his price much so I don't want to spend that much. It is the "B" plan so a bit different than your boat. The 40 is just too damn big!!! Thing is huge!!! But the Tiaras are handsome boats and good quality as you know. I put the offer in on the Carver today......
Old 05-05-2013, 12:05 AM   #27
Veteran Member

City: Clear Lake - Texas
That boat is on Yachtworld. It has a sale pending already.
Stagalv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 12:17 AM   #28
Veteran Member

City: Clear Lake - Texas
The Prairie 29 in Texas that is.
Stagalv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 09:29 PM   #29

City: Suffolk County
Any available 29' Prairie's for sale

Hello,

I just recently joined this forum. It seems like alot of people are very informative and helpful. So I figured I would post what I am in the market for. I am looking for a 28'-32' trawler of downeast style boat with a single deisel. My plans are to take my two young boys overnight camping, and day trips to the beach. My wife would join us on day trips, but probably, most likely not on overnights. She doesn't like camping. A flybridge is a must. Prefer a bow thruster, but could install one.

Boats I looked at so far in the past few months:
1980 29' Prairie
1973 32' Grand Banks
1979 34' Mainship

All three were in poor shape. In best condition was the Mainship, but feel it is not the right fit for me. The Prairie was in running comdition but has not been maintained well. All wood work from the swim platform, cabin door, small doors on fly bridge need to be replaced or fixed. Engine runs but looks old and tired, windless did not work, other cosmetic interior stuff, toliet system taken out and replace with porta potty. The owner is asking $22,000. It has been on the market from what I can tell about 1 1/2 years. I am thinking of making a low offer, but not sure how much it would take to restore her.

I would like to find one in good or better condition on the east coast. It would be more cost effective way to go than to restore the one I looked at.

Any suggestion, comments, or opinions are welcome.
Thanks in advance.
LongIslandTrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 10:37 PM   #30
Veteran Member

29' Prarie

I have the light blue one in the for sale section of this forum. I have lowered the flybridge but it can still be a driving station. Thanks, Cadillac
Cadillac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 11:07 PM   #31

Where would I find a photo? Classified? I am new to forum. Not sure where to navigate.
Old 09-23-2013, 07:11 AM   #32
Guru

City: Southern Maine
Vessel Name: Cygnus
Vessel Model: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser
Based on your three selections, I'm guessing you're in a price range that whatever you end up with, will need some work. A boat that old will leak. Somewhere, somehow, over time the stresses take their toll on hatches, windows, and especially teak decks. If the PO kept after all the leaks as they appeared, you may be OK, but expect to keep up the vigil.

All the systems, engines, fuel tanks, wiring, electronics, fixtures, pumps, etc will be pretty old by now and either have been replaced, or will need it. Of those, engines and fuel tanks are probably the most expensive to fix. A good survey is a must.

Now that I've calibrated your expectations, I can say from personal experience that the Prairies were built like tanks. They did not have teak decks, although quite a bit of brightwork inside. I don't have the personal experience with the other two, so I won't comment.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 07:57 AM   #33
Veteran Member

Looks under Prairie and then under "Looking for a solid Prairie to buy" and you'll see some photos of my boat. Cadillac (772) 285-2266
Cadillac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 01:31 PM   #34
TF Site Team

Based on your boat choices, also don't forget about the 34 Californian....although most(all?) were twins.

I am a Previous P29 owner and I loved that boat!!!
Old 09-23-2013, 02:42 PM   #35

Thanks. The Prairie did have new fuel tanks installed a few years ago and new windows. No inside trim was installed around the new windows. Also the motor claims to have 900 hrs. Still deciding whether to place an offer and for how much.
Old 09-23-2013, 07:25 PM   #36

City: Merritt Island,Fl
Vessel Name: Sue Marie
Vessel Model: Prarie 29
I own a P29. Purchased in 2010. Ended up spending time and energy then originally anticipated. Well worth it. She is powered with the Perkins 4108, with very low hours. Only took some time and lots of elbow grease to get her humming like a sewing machine.

We added new windows, about $2,000 grand and all new electronics. I paid less than $20,000 and am pleased with the boat. Suggest you consider a hard survey to insure the bones are good.

Good Luck,

John
Sortie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 08:20 PM   #37

Thanks. I called the boat owner tonight and left a message. Hope to hear back soon. Still, if anyone knows of others for sale please send me the information or alink. I understand a new owner will put in some work but rather have one that is in better shape. I plan on looking at it again as soon as he calls back.
Old 09-23-2013, 10:53 PM   #38
TF Site Team

I think his price is high based on the boat...but....

1979 Praire 29 Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
Old 09-24-2013, 11:25 AM   #39

I agree

The Prairie is a little high. Not sure on updates. I do like the flybridge extension. That is a must for me. Even if I can find a way to have one made and installed if a Prairie does not have it.
Old 09-24-2013, 07:38 PM   #40

Question. Does anyone know the exact beam and draft of a 1980 29' Prairie. My current boat slip is in a narrow and shallow canal. My current boat drafts 2'-6" and has a 9'-11" beam. I know the Prairie is wider and deeper but by how much? Thanks.

Revisiting the boat this weekend. Will take lots of photos.