Old 12-02-2012, 01:59 PM   #1
Guru

City: Southern Maine
Vessel Model: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser
Info on Prairie 36

I didn't even know Prairie existed until I saw a 36 for sale and really liked the layout. There isn't much info on the web about this model, and I'm looking for some basic specs so I know if it's even possible.

For example, does anyone know the total LOA (including pulpit and platform)? Beam?

If anyone owns or is familiar with this model, I'd like to hear more.

Thank you!
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 04:25 PM   #2
Guru

According to the third edition of the Powerboat Guide, it is the same boat as the Atlantic 37 double cabin. LOA 36' 7", beam 13' 9", draft 3' 3", wgt. 22,000 lbs.
ancora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 04:45 PM   #3
Guru

City: St Augustine,Fl
I think there is one on the hard at Green Cove Springs marina, (Florida) I saw it today.
Sailor of Fortune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 05:03 AM   #4
Guru

Thanks Ancora!!!

From what I've read the Prairie was only made for about three years, then the molds were bought and the essentially identical boat was produced as the Atlantic 37 for a few years.

If the 36' 7" number is a "true" LOA, including swim platform and pulpit, I may be in luck. I could get away with up to about a 36' boat in my 35' slip, but 36' 7" wouldn't fly with my marina management, not to mention other slip owners. It would be painful, but I'm thinking I could get it down to legal size by removing the pulpit.
Old 02-02-2013, 07:42 PM   #5
Guru

Well, I now own Prairie 36 hull #23.

For the record, my measurement, admittedly imperfect since it's in the water, is 36' 10" HULL length, plus 10" for the swim platform and over 2 1/2' for the pulpit.

All the documents I've seen listing LOA as 36' 7" or 10" were written by someone who was unclear on the meaning of the phrase "over all". So the pulpit will have to come off. I'll be careful, and save it for some future date when it can be reunited with the hull.

Now the fun begins. I spent the whole day on board, mostly taking pictures, measurements and sketches of all the systems. No doubt I'll be back with some dumb questions when I can absorb it all.

- Tom
Old 02-02-2013, 09:19 PM   #6

City: Merritt Island,Fl
Vessel Name: Sue Marie
Vessel Model: Prarie 29
Congradualtions. Great Boat. Enjoy.
John
Sortie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 01:23 PM   #7
TF Site Team/Forum Founder

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Name: Floatsome & Jetsome
Vessel Model: Meridian 411
I don't get it? You are molesting your boat just so you can fit it into a slip? Are there not alternatives?
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 02:10 PM   #8
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baker View Post
I don't get it? You are molesting your boat just so you can fit it into a slip? Are there not alternatives?
Yeah, that about sums it up. No real alternative, I own the slip and the marina has a hard limit on how much space I can take up. Hanging out into the fairway is a capital offense. Luckily, the pulpit just unbolts, so I can always reattach it if circumstances change. I do have to work on the railings.

It will pain me, but I had to weigh that against all the positives that come with this boat. I even tried out the look in Photoshop and it really isn't that bad.
Old 03-23-2017, 07:56 PM   #9

City: Chesapeake, VA
Vessel Name: Grace
Vessel Model: 1982 Grand Banks Motoryacht
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
Well, I now own Prairie 36 hull #23.

Capt Tom, do you still own the Prairie? Would you like to comment on it? I am looking at a Prairie 36 also and can't find much info.

Kurt
kurt.reynolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 09:47 PM   #10
Guru

Yes, still own the Prairie. We love it. Put over 2,100 miles on it last summer. PM me with specific questions, or ask here.
Old 03-23-2017, 10:17 PM   #11
FOG
Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: DreamQuest
Vessel Model: Prairie 36
I also own a Prairie 36 and have stuck my head into several areas and found it to be a well made boat. I have only had her a little over a year now and like what I have seen so far. I don't have near the miles on her as Capt Tom, but will start to rack some up when we begin the Great Loop next year.
FOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 06:21 AM   #12
Guru

The Prairie was designed for the loop and coastal cruising. It's very solidly built, but like all boats, how it's been treated makes all the difference.

After checking the engines and electronics, and the usual things like leaks at all deck fittings, stanchions, port lights and windows, consider that the fuel tanks were bedded in foam, so any water working it's way in behind them (or inside them) will result in a very expensive repair. The good news is there were no original teak decks, so that's one source of leaks you avoid.

I believe the stock engines were Perkins 4-cyl, around 85HP each. This is more than adequate. The original owner of mine opted to upgrade after two years of ownership, and (IMHO) overpowered it with two 6.354 turbos, allegedly 200HP each (although I've also seen them rated at 185.)

This is not a full-displacement hull, but a soft-chined semi-displacement. In theory I can do 13-15 knots, but my fuel budget would never allow it, and my wake would register on the tsunami warning system.

The Prairie maximizes usable interior space, without sacrificing walk-around decks. There's only a tiny cockpit, but lots of room on the trunk cabin overheads and especially the flybridge. Mine is galley-up, but I believe they started making them galley-down soon after. I ended up with two very comfortable staterooms, each with private head and shower (and tub in the aft cabin.) You give up a v-berth with the galley down, but some would say a more comfortable saloon. Even so, the saloon seating isn't very comfortable. I'm still working on that.

The aft cabin has a full-sized, centerline berth that takes standard sheets and has access on both sides, although it's short on headroom at the head of the bed.

Beyond those basics, how each boat is fitted out and how well it was maintained make all the difference.
Old 04-25-2017, 08:54 PM   #13

City: Crawfordville, FL
36 Prairie

Has anyone seen the in New Bern. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Lionel
LionelD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 09:01 AM   #14
FOG
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionelD View Post
Has anyone seen the in New Bern. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Lionel
I believe Todd R here on the forum has seen it. You could send him a pm and confirm.
Old 04-29-2017, 06:14 AM   #15

City: Central Tennessee
Vessel Name: boatless
So, LionelD; what have you discovered about the Prairie 36 in New Bern?

Thanks.

Tim
kokopelliTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 08:39 AM   #16
Guru

City: Cruising East Coast US
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Hey guys,
Can the 6.354 be run consistently without the turbo spooled up? What rpm does the turbo spool on that engine? Thanks!
Old 04-29-2017, 08:55 AM   #17
FOG
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddyo View Post
Hey guys,
Can the 6.354 be run consistently without the turbo spooled up? What rpm does the turbo spool on that engine? Thanks!
On my motorsailor with a single 6.354 I would consistently run at around 1300 rpm without hearing the turbo. Once I hit 1500 rpm the turbo whine became very distinct. My Prairie 36 with twin 6.354s are NA.
Old 04-29-2017, 09:14 AM   #18
Guru

City: Cruising East Coast US
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Thanks good info. I guess with a little effort you could always pull the turbo.
Old 05-21-2019, 02:01 PM   #19

City: marathon
Seems as though there is a limitless choice of engines. In my p36 hull #50 I have twin perkins 6.354 normally aspirated. Seems like a good compromise between more than adequate power, fuel consumption and operating cost.
aphillips111 is offline   Reply With Quote