Old 08-03-2014, 09:47 AM   #21
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonstruck View Post
Ron were you talking about Mark Smith the owner of River Forest Manor? That place has always been a little quirky. Back in the 70s I had some business dealings with Bernard Voliva who lived across the street from the Manor. He was good friends with Axson Smith, Mark's father. We always ate over there with Axson when I was in town. There was a bad piano player and all kinds of squaking and talking birds in the place. It was a must stop on the ICW with all the noise associated with a crowded room of sailors. The buffet was endless. What a place. We also stopped there on our trips north and south on the ICW. The last time we were there was 2007. and Mark showed us through the mansion again. That brought back memories of some happy times in NC.
I'm talking about Axson Smith. Axon is in his late 60s and inherited the place from his father.

He was the only marina who would take us as Arthur was approaching. He hopped on our boat at the marina and took as around the other side of the peninsula to the creek behind the boat yard. Eventually, he tied us to the dock on one side and a large tree on the other side.

He mentioned that he had had cancer twice and was trying to sell the manor but keep the marina. He did take us into the manor and it's closed and in pretty bad shape. No restaurant, no bed and breakfast. It would take a lot of money and effort to bring this place back to its former glory.

The marina itself also needs a lot of work. Apparently they were hit hard by a hurricane a couple years ago and the marina had a lot of damage.

He and his wife were very friendly and accommodating but he did charge us a hefty premium because of the storm. We were the only boat there.

BTW: I have to feel a little sorry for him and the other marina in town. The town has recently completed a nice set of docks in the center of town and charges $1 per foot or so. It seems unfair to collect taxes from a business and then use them to build a competing facility.

rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 09:59 AM   #22
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sortie View Post
First stopped there in 1972, it was the hot spot on that first part of the trip. Over the years it slowly fell into disrepair, my last stop in the early 2000,it was obvious it was on its last legs.

But that area in the 70's and 80's it was the place. The docks were always little sketchy, but the manner and the buffet were something. If you wanted to stop in Belhaven, you needed to get there early, or make a reservation.

John
John, everyone did a side tie on that one long dock. The dock master would snug the first boats up next to shore, then fill out to the end. The dock was a little rickety, and if that wasn't bad enough a rattle snake crawled across the dock in front of us. We were the second boat in on the South side. A big south wind came up pinning us to the dock. I had to wait until all the boats behind us left. Then to stay off the dock came out in full throttle reverse on the port engine. We stayed about a foot off the dock the whole way. I was thankful for twin engines that day. What a place!

http://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 03:45 PM   #23

City: Iroquois, ON
Vessel Name: She:Kon
Vessel Model: Bateau TW28
Matt & Connie

That was an amazing journey. Thank you so very much for sharing.

The wife (Lori) and I hope to follow some of the same waterways you took us down when we get our boat finished.

Good luck in all your future adventures! Keep the Youtube video's coming.

Regards and thanks again for such a wonderful travel log.
She-Kon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 08:13 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by She-Kon View Post
Matt & Connie

That was an amazing journey. Thank you so very much for sharing.

The wife (Lori) and I hope to follow some of the same waterways you took us down when we get our boat finished.

Good luck in all your future adventures! Keep the Youtube video's coming.

Regards and thanks again for such a wonderful travel log.
Thanks for that and best of luck in your travels with that most unusual looking boat! How wide is that? Are there any pictures of the cabin?

Thanks again
flagold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 08:21 AM   #25
Guru

City: Cape Cod
Vessel Name: Slip Aweigh
Vessel Model: Prairie 29
http://www.bateau.com/proddetail.php?prod=TW28. It would appear she is one of these
cappy208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 08:47 AM   #26

City: Iroquois, ON
Vessel Name: She:Kon
Vessel Model: Bateau TW28
Quote:
Originally Posted by flagold View Post
Thanks for that and best of luck in your travels with that most unusual looking boat! How wide is that? Are there any pictures of the cabin?
Hi Matt

It is indeed a Bateau.com TW28. We stretched he design 1 meter midships. She's 31' 5" LOD and 10' 3" beam. As of right now I'm just priming the bottom (boat is upside down). We hope to flip it over in a few weeks time to start the fiberglassing on the inside. When it's finished it should look something like this.

You can follow along on our thread here. New construction: She:Kon

Ok, nuff about me. Carry on!
She-Kon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 06:41 PM   #27
Guru

Quote:
Hi Matt

It is indeed a Bateau.com TW28. We stretched he design 1 meter midships. She's 31' 5" LOD and 10' 3" beam. As of right now I'm just priming the bottom (boat is upside down). We hope to flip it over in a few weeks time to start the fiberglassing on the inside. When it's finished it should look something like this.

You need to start another 'builders' thread with this designs headline. It deserves to have its own page.
Old 08-09-2014, 07:12 AM   #28
Veteran Member

Quote:
Hi Matt

After finally getting enough time to go through the thread, I agree with Cappy and would take it one step further and do a video series. This is a very interesting project you're doing, not to mention using it to do the ICW. Very best of luck to you!
Old 06-03-2015, 10:22 AM   #29
Veteran Member

Some sad news:

Some of you might remember the trip we took up the Intracoastal to deliver the Mischief to Maryland:

https://youtu.be/PLre_kjIJ8Q

Well the new owner's health has failed, and the the boat is up for sale (at a giveaway price as far as we're concerned). $28K. The last 3 owners (us in the middle) have rebuilt all the systems on the boat.

Step on, turn the key, go.

Ad on Yachtworld: 1979 Prairie Single diesel Trawler Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

I'm not the owner, part owner, mortgage holder, or broker - but naturally we have a strong attachment to this boat and want to see it get into good hands that will cruise it. It deserves a better fate than sitting and rotting down.

Phone the owners: Joe & Mary Ann: 410-286-2552.

Thank you,

Matt & Connie Mattson (old owners)
Old 06-03-2015, 11:57 AM   #30
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
Great looking boat. Yeah, I hope it looks like that too. Sure to be following along on this one!

"I'd rather be happy than dignified".
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 12:43 PM   #31
Guru

A friend of mine asked me if I have 'buyers remorse' over my little girl. I told him, the only remorse I had was NOT being able to buy Mischief. Now I have my Prairie, and yours has reappeared.

Wish she finds a new home. Nice work you and Connie did on her.

Best wishes.
Old 06-04-2015, 07:14 AM   #32
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cappy208 View Post
A friend of mine asked me if I have 'buyers remorse' over my little girl. I told him, the only remorse I had was NOT being able to buy Mischief. Now I have my Prairie, and yours has reappeared.

Wish she finds a new home. Nice work you and Connie did on her.

Best wishes.
Thanks for that. I've never heard any of the owners or former owners complain about any work done to the boat, we've all universally loved it.

Very best of luck with your "little girl."
Old 06-09-2015, 04:36 PM   #33
Veteran Member

Congratulations to Jeff, the new owner of the Mischief.

You have got yourself one GREAT boat! Very best of luck in your travels with it.

Matt & Connie Mattson