Old 03-25-2018, 11:19 PM   #61
Guru

City: Edmonds, WA
Vessel Name: WESTERLY
Vessel Model: 1974 Pacific Trawler 37
Hi Jim. Welcome aboard.

There is very little I can tell you about your boat. Besides owning a fiberglass Pacific Trawler 37' built in Costa Mesa/Santa Ana in 1973/4, I don't have much information on the wooden predecessors.

I have a shipyard picture (pdf) of a North Sea 38 being built in Japan, maybe I can get it to attach.

While there has been several rumors of larger Seeley designed Pacific Trawler style boats over the years, I have personally never seen one of them over 40'. Besides the Pacific Trawler 37, there is the North Sea 38, Pacific Trawler 40, North Sea 42, Pacific Trawler 47 (never built) and North Sea 48. Maybe saw a North Sea 42 in Roche Harbor some years ago, but didn't get a chance to investigate. It is my understanding that the last wood boat was built in Japan in 1973, and the first fiberglass boat built in California the same year.

All of the Japan built boats were wood, mahogany on apitong framing (or similar). The builder was a guy by the name of R. D. Fritz who traveled to Japan to set up the boatyard there. These were the years of transition to fiberglass, many designers and builders did not survive the business upheaval of the "cheap" imported fiberglass trawlers built in Asia. So everything stated on your pilothouse plaque seems correct.

I would be interested in learning the dimensions of your boat, particularly the beam. The North Sea 38's I've been onboard have a few more inches in length, but are 6-9" narrower that the Pacific Trawler 37. The narrower beam coupled with a less square stern shape helps reduce fuel consumption at cruise.

Best of luck with your search. Post a good pic when you get a chance.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf JapanShipyard.pdf (60.9 KB, 42 views)
Jay N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 12:07 AM   #62

City: San Diego
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay N View Post
Hi Jim. Welcome aboard.

There is very little I can tell you about your boat. Besides owning a fiberglass Pacific Trawler 37' built in Costa Mesa/Santa Ana in 1973/4, I don't have much information on the wooden predecessors.

I have a shipyard picture (pdf) of a North Sea 38 being built in Japan, maybe I can get it to attach.

While there has been several rumors of larger Seeley designed Pacific Trawler style boats over the years, I have personally never seen one of them over 40'. Besides the Pacific Trawler 37, there is the North Sea 38, Pacific Trawler 40, North Sea 42, Pacific Trawler 47 (never built) and North Sea 48. Maybe saw a North Sea 42 in Roche Harbor some years ago, but didn't get a chance to investigate. It is my understanding that the last wood boat was built in Japan in 1973, and the first fiberglass boat built in California the same year.

All of the Japan built boats were wood, mahogany on apitong framing (or similar). The builder was a guy by the name of R. D. Fritz who traveled to Japan to set up the boatyard there. These were the years of transition to fiberglass, many designers and builders did not survive the business upheaval of the "cheap" imported fiberglass trawlers built in Asia. So everything stated on your pilothouse plaque seems correct.

I would be interested in learning the dimensions of your boat, particularly the beam. The North Sea 38's I've been onboard have a few more inches in length, but are 6-9" narrower that the Pacific Trawler 37. The narrower beam coupled with a less square stern shape helps reduce fuel consumption at cruise.

Best of luck with your search. Post a good pic when you get a chance.
Thanks, Jay...great info. The beam is 14' 9" (hence her name...Loafer).

We're in the yard now, getting shaft logs rebuilt. It's a shame to cut out a 2-foot by 2 foot by 6 foot piece of dense wood (some 300-year old tree gave it's all), but as the Scot boatwright working on her said, "After 45 years, the wee beasties get in there and eat the wood." So...bronze shaft logs for us.
Jim R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 02:10 PM   #63

City: Salt Spring Island
Vessel Name: Cathryn Grace
Vessel Model: Pacific Trawler
Hello Colin et al,

We are buying an older 74 PT, on Salt Spring Island.
Loads of cosmetic updates are needed BUT there is tons of potential.

Hope folks ar estill connecting re the PT.

Mark
Rollysflyinghigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 03:22 PM   #64
Guru

City: Edmonds, WA
Vessel Name: WESTERLY
Vessel Model: 1974 Pacific Trawler 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollysflyinghigh View Post
Hello Colin et al,

We are buying an older 74 PT, on Salt Spring Island.
Loads of cosmetic updates are needed BUT there is tons of potential.

Hope folks ar estill connecting re the PT.

Mark

Hi Mark - Welcome to Pacific Trawler ownership..

I've sent you an outdated owners list, but it's all I have right now.

Hope you can get CATHERYN GRACE out there this boating season.

Jay N
WESTERLY
Jay N is offline   Reply With Quote