Pacific Trawler Owners Information

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
One day I may have one. I really like the boat and think it would make a great Looper boat... Right now*I captain a 65 Fleming. Not my boat.

Hi Jennifer on Pineapple Girl II, our PT Overseas was *built by Cheer Men Marine/ Taiwan Overseas Industries, Taiwan ROC. *We've been on her 4 years and loving every minute of it. *

Attachments

• inamorata.jpg
    inamorata.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 218
Hi all,
I am new to the site.
We got Good Tidings (PT 40-54) last winter/spring, and are really enjoying her. I am happy to find a spot where other PT owners chat. We are in New York on the lower Hudson River. Last season we visited Lake Champlain, Long Island Sound, and spent 6 weeks on the Chesapeake. Please feel free to list us as owners.
Jeff and Keira Burtch
Good Tidings PT 40-54
Stony Point, NY

Jan. 20, 2011

-- Edited by Keira B on Thursday 20th of January 2011 03:13:35 PM

Hello,

My wife and I just purchased a Pacific Trawler 40 and I am interested in system information. Except for the John Deere and the Norther Lights genset this boat (formally JANICE C our of Wilmington NC) is short on information about how the boat was put together and it's systems.

We have renamed her MAITRI.

Gene and Kathy Krattli
Friday Harbor, Wa

sjkrattli wrote:
Hello,

My wife and I just purchased a Pacific Trawler 40 and I am interested in system information. Except for the John Deere and the Norther Lights genset this boat (formally JANICE C our of Wilmington NC) is short on information about how the boat was put together and it's systems.

Gene and Kathy Krattli
Friday Harbor, Wa
*Hi Gene and Kathy,

Congratulations!* MAITRI should be a great boat.* Did you/Are you bringing her to Friday Harbor?

Other than her hull number, year of construction and ME, I don't know anything about the boat.* As you probably know,*your boat was constructed in Bellingham, WA. and is considered a custom/production boat.* Hopefully, your surveyor(s) have given you some good information about*how she is equipped and*the level of care that previous owners provided.*

I'm interested in talking with you about your boat, but am out-of-town until April 4 or so.

Please send me your email address at cjnmaritime@gmail.com and I'll forward*a copy of the owners list.

Jay N wrote:sjkrattli wrote:
Hello,

Gene and Kathy Krattli
Friday Harbor, Wa
*Hi Gene and Kathy,

Congratulations!* MAITRI should be a great boat.* Did you/Are you bringing her to Friday Harbor?

Other than her hull number, year of construction and ME, I don't know anything about the boat.* As you probably know,*your boat was constructed in Bellingham, WA. and is considered a custom/production boat.* Hopefully, your surveyor(s) have given you some good information about*how she is equipped and*the level of care that previous owners provided.*

I'm interested in talking with you about your boat, but am out-of-town until April 4 or so.

Please send me your email address at cjnmaritime@gmail.com and I'll forward*a copy of the owners list.

Was trying to buy a 46PT but it feel thru--found a 52PT 1988----really love the boat needs a lot of work---any views as to sea capability--we cruise a lot of offshore---Galveston to Corpus Chrsit then down to Mexico---the 53 has brand new 3208TA's---any thoughts?

DT

Hi Tom,

Rumor has it that there were a couple of 46' Pacific Trawler/Blain Seeley designed boats, made of wood in the late 1960's.* Otherwise, I'm not familiar with this boat.* It was certainly not a production boat since 1970.

Sea Horse has been making a 52' Blain Seeley design for several years, these are Asian built boats as opposed to the US built Pacific Trawler 37's and 40's.* Seeley also designed an Asian built "Meridian" about the same length a number of years ago.* None of these boats are referred to as Pacific Trawlers, however

Sometimes there is some confusion about PT, which has also stood for Puget Trawler and probably other names.

As with any older boat, get a good survey as reliability will depend on equipment and level of care.* If you currently cruise offshore, you probably know what design qualities are important, and there may be some information available in the archives of this and other forums.

Good luck!

New Member to Pacific Trawler site

Hi - been a while since I talked to other PT people but look forward to it. Owned Hull # 47 from 11/2001 to 4/2006, spent 12 months cruising the Great Loop, chartered my boat (Wand'rin Star) in LaConner, WA. and really enjoyed it here in Pacific Northwest.

Now for next phase of our boat ownership, I'm interested in buying a used Pacific Trawler 37 or 40 this next fall/winter (2013/2014). Looking at $200,000. range if anyone is thinking of selling one next year.

Thanks
gerrytravers@gmail.com

New member to the forum and to trawlers.

Recently purchased the 1999 PT37 named Carolina based out of Elizabeth City, NC (originally Blue Goose). We brought her up from Chesapeake, VA last week to the Annapolis area. As transitioning sailors, I must say we really enjoyed the projection offered by the pilot house.

Also wanted to express my appreciation to the Trawler Forum. I spent many hours researching this site for help in getting up to "speed" on motor vessels. Look forward to participating.

Best Regards,
Mike

Was trying to buy a 46PT but it feel thru--found a 52PT 1988----really love the boat needs a lot of work---any views as to sea capability--we cruise a lot of offshore---Galveston to Corpus Chrsit then down to Mexico---the 53 has brand new 3208TA's---any thoughts?

DT

Another PT owner! We are onboard "Pau Hana", a 1989 PT52 that is (I believe) a Taiwan built Cheersmen boat. She's comfortable and capable- we have the 375hp Cats under the sole, and can do 19+ knots (while draining the tanks in record time!)- but putt along at about 8 knots most of the time.

We considered the PT52 in Texas, but shied away after our broker gave us the lowdown on the selling broker...

As our boat has script on the side that reads "PT52 Overseas Trawler" does anyone know if this means Performance Trawler or Pacific Trawler?

My overseas pt is a performance trawler. The pacific trawlers I've seen have a totally different layout and look. And I thought the pacific trawlers were made in the USA but not sure??

I am only aware of US built fiberglass 37-40' Pacific Trawlers designed by Blaine Seeley.

There were a number of pre-1973 wood versions built in Japan, but have not seen/heard any evidence of other countries producing this model.

My overseas pt is a performance trawler. The pacific trawlers I've seen have a totally different layout and look. And I thought the pacific trawlers were made in the USA but not sure??

My appologies. I sense some contention within this builder's forum. In the future, I'll refer to my boat as a Pacific Trawler rather than the abbreviated PT.

Mike

Sorry mike I think us performance trawler people are crashing the pacific trawler area. :). At least I am. I really like the pacific trawlers and actually we tried to buy one before we got our boat but the owner decided not to sell it.

"My appologies. I sense some contention within this builder's forum. In the future, I'll refer to my boat as a Pacific Trawler rather than the abbreviated PT."

Hi Mike, sorry that you sensed something that was not intended. My only thought was to help clarify. Best Regards, Jay N

Hello All,

We are the new owners of Hull#45 Pacific Trawlers 40. Boat presently in Stillwater Minnesota, will be trucked to Beaufort SC in June 2016. Named TIMELAPSE will be renamed WATERSHED.

We are taking a year or two off to do some cruising. Bahamas - Cuba this winter and up the coast to Canada next spring - summer.

Linda and Steven Tully

Considering a PT 37' 1978

We are considering a 1978 Pacific Trawler. I joined the site in effort to gain some insight to the vessel. a few questions:
1. Is the Hull cored or solid fiberglass?
2. I believe this vessel has the original fuel tanks, 400 gallons in two tanks. what is the life span of these tanks, I think they are steel but unsure since they are painted red.
3. wondering the diameter of the shaft, it appears to be about 2". We plan to upgrade to a PSS shaft seal if we purchase the vessel.
Any other information for a Newbie would be greatly appreciated. We are long time sailors just now looking at the trawler market and so we have a lot to learn for sure. We do like all the positives about this vessel and will be used primarily in Puget Sound.
Thank you for your help!
Steve Steakley

Steve, We own a 2001 Pacific Trawlers 40. Its a solid glass hull with 2 SS fuel tanks @ 460 gallons total and SS water @ 200 gallons. The shaft on ours is 1.75" powered by a Cummins 6Bt 220 hp engine. We have the open transom and love it!

I do know that these were semi custom solid boats and seem to be built very well.

in October we will be heading to the Bahamas for the Winter in ours.

Good luck,

"We are the new owners of Hull#45 Pacific Trawlers 40. Boat presently in Stillwater Minnesota, will be trucked to Beaufort SC in June 2016. Named TIMELAPSE will be renamed WATERSHED.

We are taking a year or two off to do some cruising. Bahamas - Cuba this winter and up the coast to Canada next spring - summer.

Linda and Steven Tully"

Hi Linda and Steven - Wow, quite the adventures ahead. I hope that your new Pacific Trawler will more than fulfill your expectations. Keep the TF membership in the reporting loop, I'm sure you will have some great things to share.

Best Regards, Jay N

Hi Steve, my comments below in blue:

"We are considering a 1978 Pacific Trawler. I joined the site in effort to gain some insight to the vessel. a few questions: I believe the vessel you are considering is hull #1 which is a 1973 boat - probably a typo at the sales office. The exact year is not really meaningful if the survey is thorough.

1. Is the Hull cored or solid fiberglass? All 1970 era hulls have balsa cored hulls. No issue if the boat has been cared for.

2. I believe this vessel has the original fuel tanks, 400 gallons in two tanks. what is the life span of these tanks, I think they are steel but unsure since they are painted red. Some of the California built hulls (1973-1976) had a fiberglass liner that formed the fuel tanks with fiberglass. Other boats (like WESTERLY) have separate steel tanks of 360-400 gallons. WESTERLY's tanks are 1973 steel, they were correctly manufactured with half-bowl sumps and drain cocks. Keeping the water out of the bottom of the tanks is the magic process to make these tanks last a very long time. As with all things on a boat, life span is determined by the level of attention and maintenance.

3. wondering the diameter of the shaft, it appears to be about 2". We plan to upgrade to a PSS shaft seal if we purchase the vessel. Think that all shafts are 1-3/4" dia, but there might be an exception. I installed a PSS/PYI shaft seal in 2000, and it has worked well. The key to having a successful installation is to make sure that there is excellent shaft alignment to start with. A friend tried to make this work in his older Grand Banks, but had to remove it as he was unwilling to expend boat units for new motor mounts, and possible new shaft along with balancing the prop.

Any other information for a Newbie would be greatly appreciated. We are long time sailors just now looking at the trawler market and so we have a lot to learn for sure. We do like all the positives about this vessel and will be used primarily in Puget Sound. As I have stated before, these boats provide an excellent set of compromises for inland and protected coastwise cruising. A good survey is needed for any boat, even one 40+ years old.

Thank you for your help! Of Course - Good luck

I am also new to this forum. My wife and I are about to look at a PT 37 in Tacoma at Emerald Yacht Sales. She is a 1978 with a 2007 Perkins 135 HP engine. We own a Nordic Tug 26 which is a great boat but too small.

Should I be concerned about buying such an old PT?

Cheers
Greg
nordictugs75@gmail.com

We are new to this forum and to PT's. There is a 37 1978 for sale at Emerald Yacht Sales in Tacoma with an 08 Perkins 135 HP engine. Does anyone know the boat and if it has a cored hull?

Greg
email nordictugs75@gmail.com

Jay N,
thank you for your response. It turns out that the Pacific Trawler for sell in Tacoma is NOT a 1978 but instead is (I think) Hull #1 a 1973. Hopefully emerald Yachts will soon correct the listing. It has been very well taken care of by it's two previous owners and at least since 2006 or or so kept in a boat house at the Tacoma Yacht Club. This vessel is not the one for us but I believe there is a lot of boat there for the money. It deserves a new owner who can revive the vessel and look after her. Unfortunately we do not have the time to commit, it is not a project boat but one that needs to have regular attention and responsible ownership. The vessel hull and deck is balsa cored throughout. It is clean but has not had the attention of the aging owner who obviously pays others to keep the boat serviced. It will need new electronics as all on board are dated. The vessel has a good spirit so we hope the right person comes along soon to take her to the next destination.

Looking for late model Pacific Trawler 37

My wife and I are going to sell our 1997 Nordic Tug 26 and hopefully buy aPacific Trawler 37. Is anyone interested in selling their PT?

Cheers
Greg

fgv.jlv1@gmail.com

Bahamas and keys trip complete

Hello All,

We are the new owners of Hull#45 Pacific Trawlers 40. Boat presently in Stillwater Minnesota, will be trucked to Beaufort SC in June 2016. Named TIMELAPSE will be renamed WATERSHED.

Linda and Steven Tully

Reporting that our pacific trawler 40 (open transom ) did us well. We left Beaufort sc in November 2016 and cruised down the ICW to Florida and then crossed to the Bahamas. One month in Abacos then we crossed to Eluthra for a couple weeks then crossed again to the Exuma islands. We cane back to Florida by way of Bimini before crossing yet again to Florida. We cruised on the outside hawks channel to marathon key for 9 days and then did a straight shot to Naples florida for a family visit. We then decided to cross back through the okeechobee waterway and try the locking through. Now back in Beaufort April 2017. We put 350 hours on the boats Cummings 220 hp 6bt in the 5 months and learned a lot.

The open transom never took on water and we were in some real seas at a few points during this trip. We love the open transom! The trawler likes, and will take most anything on the nose and forward quarters but is not happy with steep seas running with the wind. Our autopilot was a godsend running down seas for any length of time.

We ran between 1600 and 1800 rpm / 7 to 8 knots easy and burned less than 3 mph

We will be cruising north from Beaufort may 1st to New England and Canada for this summer. will report back on the pacific trawlers in more detail after we complete this adventure.

Thanks,

Steve

Hi Steve,

WOW! Fantastic trip! Glad to hear that the open transom worked out for you guys. I'm sure others thinking about the open transom will appreciate your experiences.

Steep, short period waves from astern are the bugaboo for all square stern boats. I've also found that the autopilot is a great help in such conditions.

Your Cummins 220 is just getting warmed up. Just completed overhauling WESTERLY's fuel injection pump this winter after 7800 hours, ready for another 7800!

We cruise around 1650 rpm at a speed of around 7.3 knots. Anything over 7.4 knots and fuel consumption starts to rise quickly.

Pacific Trawlers in the PNW/BC are having a rendezvous at Anacortes on May 12-14, around 12 boats are expected. I'm sure we will be talking about your adventures.

Thanks for sharing. Jay N

Pacific Trawler precursor

Jay,

After reading through this thread, I'm impressed by your knowledge of Blaine Seeley designed boats.

I live on a 48-foot Seeley designed trawler whos providence is somewhat murky. A plaque in the pilothouse says "North Sea-48, Hull 481, designer Blaine Seeley, Kita Shoji Boatyard, Japan." (The plaque is stick-on plastic, so it could have been put there at any time). The documents we have variously list her build date as 1971-1973.

She looks exactly like a Pacific Trawler with a fly bridge, only a bit bigger. Construction is double plank mahogany hull, fiberglass over wood upperworks.

I curious if you have any other information on these "father of Pacific Trawler" boats. She's a grand old boat, and I'd love to know a little more about her early history.

Thanks!

-Jim

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom