open transom

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mjsilhan

Vessel Make
pacific trawler
Any comments on the boats that were built with an open transom.* Problems with water coming over the swim step area?
I am considering purchasing a boat with an open transom.

thanks

Hi Mike,

Don't have any stories to report about the open transom models, other than their convenience when considering aft deck activities (such as diving).* However, if you are intending to frequently use the boat offshore, you may want to*only consider a closed transom boat.*** Jay

Many a lobster boat has survived heavy weather fishing with an open transom, and I've even seen a power cat done without the transom, to allow pulling a dinghy up on rollers. Of course you will ship water over the aft deck on occasion, and the good news is that it will empty rather quickly as well. My only concern would be a massive amount of water entering through the cabin bulkhead. I think if I were you, I'd contact one of the many lobster boat builders, such as Atlantic Boat Co. in Brooklin, Maine. They should likely have some insight.*

Another thing to consider is installation of a transom plate hinged at the bottom, which becomes a swim step when lowered. It wouldn't be a huge effort to build and install, and would limit the amount of water entering the cockpit.

Carey

This boat fishes the coastal waters of New England which can be a wee bit rough. It's a common configuration today for lobsterboats in Maine. The cutdown transom makes it much easier and faster--- albeit more dangerous and harder on the back--- to launch the pots and buoys.

Attachments

• newboat1.jpg
    newboat1.jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 480
  • newboat3.jpg
    newboat3.jpg
    147 KB · Views: 1,913
There are currently three Pacific Trawlers for sale on YW and two of them have the open transom configuration with portable staples for safety. In looking at pictures of the sample from LA (the state), it appears the ladder to the flybridge comes very close to the staple and looks like a MOB waiting to happen. I also can not see a swim ladder on the swim platfrom.

So, in real life cruising, how safe is the open transom with the staples in place? Why aren't the staples higher?

Last edited:
Check out the Fathom 40, best of both worlds. All sorts of sail boats with open aft decks.

I wouldn't want an open transom. Too easy to lose dogs or children overboard. You can't watch them every minute. You may have neither but the potential next buyer might.

I wouldn't want an open transom. Too easy to lose dogs or children overboard. .
Me neither, too much stuff rolls around and I don't want to spend time fishing it back out (or buying a replacement). On some sailboats I get it, but a most recreational powerboats? Not my ideal setup.

But,a great easily accessed resting place for fatigued seals, sea lions, etc.

The pic below might give a better idea of my concerns. The port staple is missing in this pic and probably due to boarding purposes. Note the ladder to the flybridge and the aft staples behind it. The second pic shows the starboard side. I can't make out a swimming ladder on either side.

Attachments

• PT open transom.jpg
    PT open transom.jpg
    115.1 KB · Views: 183
  • pt open transon 2.jpg
    pt open transon 2.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 164
Marina did it no favors picking it up that way, wrecking the rubrails on both sides.

The staples looked better protection than I thought, but overall I don’t like that setup. I really don’t like the sloppy way that boat was hauled without blocking the obvious issue with the spray rail. It’s completely borked now. Amateur

I also know of some very well thought of high performance European boats built the same way and I get uneasy just looking at them. I don't want a car without a rear bumper either.

I also know of some very well thought of high performance European boats built the same way and I get uneasy just looking at them. I don't want a car without a rear bumper either.

Well, Porsches have only a pretend rear bumper. A nudge is worth about $5K to repair. For that matter, a Fiat 500 is a few K too.

Well, Porsches have only a pretend rear bumper. A nudge is worth about $5K to repair. For that matter, a Fiat 500 is a few K too.

Wifey B: Porsches don't need rear bumpers. You can't catch us. :rofl:

Seriously, you're so right. Front bumper no better. It didn't hit me at first and then all of a sudden I'm like "I have no freaking bumpers." Hubby's car has no bumpers either....what is it with sports cars and no bumpers anyway. :ermm:

Wifey B: Porsches don't need rear bumpers. You can't catch us. :rofl:

Seriously, you're so right. Front bumper no better. It didn't hit me at first and then all of a sudden I'm like "I have no freaking bumpers." Hubby's car has no bumpers either....what is it with sports cars and no bumpers anyway. :ermm:

Doesn't matter, some of us buy them anyway. Style, performance, like to drive etc.

Doesn't matter, some of us buy them anyway. Style, performance, like to drive etc.

Wifey B: And keep them in the garage at home and valet parking and walk 50 miles to avoid parking too close. 6 years old and I did finally top 20,000 miles. :lol:

Fly bridge access

The pic below might give a better idea of my concerns. The port staple is missing in this pic and probably due to boarding purposes. Note the ladder to the flybridge and the aft staples behind it. The second pic shows the starboard side. I can't make out a swimming ladder on either side.
Hi , if you look at other photos you will see there is a 2nd access ladder to the 'flybridge/lounging/dinghy deck' on the stb side of the pilothouse fwd.
The back of the main cabin has strong Diamond Seaglass door not simple sliding 'patio' doors found on many yachts with closed transom , not much protection from getting pooped in the nasty inlets up & down down both US coasts.
Also if you look at many of the mega yachts they have huge open transoms but are large enough to have bulkhead further forward.
It's unusual design but interesting for easy water access.
Cheers Warren.

Back
Top Bottom