Deck leak

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jjorg41

Does anyone out there have experience with the trim piece covering the hull/deck joint on a Pacific Trawler? I seem to have water dripping below from there.

jjorg41

Water will follow trim and even under the trim. So you might want to change the trim of the boat to see the leak goes away. We had a leak that would only drip during heavy rain and the boat was listing to starboard, so during the winter I get the boat always trim to port. Took me two years to find the bugger. The old caulking had filed just enough to allow water to penetrate.

I experimented with a small piece of trim today removing it and using butyl tape underneath. I think it will work just fine but when it rains good I will know for sure.

I also have a leak seemingly through the hull joint. This has been a difficult issue to fix. Now in my third season of trying to even figure out where it is coming from. It drips into the port side, forward part of the engine room. Does anyone else have leaks in this area and if so,maybe some idea about how to fix it.

I hate it when that elusive TRIM leaks......guess you had to be there!

From the days of chasing TRIM......

Leak at hull/deck joint

I pretty well have this fixed now by removing and rebeding screws in the area. Best I could ever figure out was rain water was seeping in around the screws holding the trim.

Leak at hull/deck

We had a water leak into the aft end of the salon, portside. The inside of the cabinet and floor would get wet during heavy rain. I removed the trim piece from amid ship to the transom. The aft end came apart quite easily while the forward portion was better adhered. I found that the deck to hull joint was open for about a foot. I injected 3M 5200 into the open area and then used the same along the entire length to address other suspect areas. After it set up, I reinstalled the trim piece with clear silicone (in case it needed to be removed again) making sure the screws were properly bedded. The deck was solid fiberglass with no coring, so there was no real need to dry it out before the repair work was done. The project was done this past fall after the boat had been hauled but after several rains, there seems to be no further water intrusion in that area.

Greetings,
Mr./Ms. hf. Welcome aboard. Mr. T. I'm biting my tongue regarding your use of silicone...

RT your tongue must be pretty ratty about now, the word on silicone hasn't yet penetrated.

Greetings,
Well, maybe it's just me...

giphy.gif

I'm sure I heard somewhere, that a silicone leak is something to freak about!!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom