zodiac reg numbers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KEVMAR

Vessel Name
Delphina
Vessel Make
President 43
The PO had painted his reg numbers on each side of the inflatable. what is the best way either to remove, paint over..... to apply my numbers? if paint what panit should I use? thank you
Kevin G
New bern NC

One idea would be to buy a plate that has your number on it, then apply that over the existing numbers. West Marine carries it. I'm not sure if it would be a problem getting it to stay put over the existing numbers, but the manufacturer could advise on that point.

You can order them online.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    166.5 KB · Views: 90
If the boat is made of PVC, you can buy paint for PVC and paint over the area, then paint your numbers on over that. If it's Hypalon, I can't offer any advice other than to do a web search on painting Hypalon.

I had a PVC dinghy and I painted the numbers on just fine. I tried it on a Hypalon boat and the paint pulled off with the stencil. Every bit of it.

Those glue on number plates have to be used with the appropriate glue (PVC or Hypalon). And they don't work that well if you constantly inflate and deflate your dinghy.

I ordered from boatnumberplate.com for my inflatable (Hypalon), installed per instructions. One side is still on, the other peeled off. Now there is hardened glue residue making re-attaching difficult. Looking for other options.

I ordered from boatnumberplate.com for my inflatable (Hypalon), installed per instructions. One side is still on, the other peeled off. Now there is hardened glue residue making re-attaching difficult. Looking for other options.

Had the same problem. Used acetone or something similar. Followed with careful scraping with a scraper with the corners rounded off and 80 then 100 grit. Don't be too aggressive. On my second set of these as the numbers get rubbed off. Company replaced first set free. Time for third set soon. Like them better than alternatives in spite of the issues.

I bought a piece of hypalon in a contrasting colour, cut out the letters for my boat name and glued them on. After 8 years they still adhere and look good. If you want to cover the old painted numbers, buy a piece of hypalon in the same colour as the dinghy and attach it first.
If your boat is Federally Documented, the rules may be the same as for Federally Registered in Canada, so you will need the boat name instead of numbers.

Use acetone to get the old stuff off. And then go to the same people that make vinyl boat name letters. I have had two dinghies done with these letters. My previous dinghy had these on for 10 years and never peeled off. My current dinghy is only 1 year old but so far, so good.

One would think that these letters/numbers would peel off as the boat "breathed" with the temperature changes. They do not!!! Cost about $30 for both sides.

Trust me....it works and it is cheap!!!!! Number boards are not optimum since they can be stolen and/or removed.

My Zodiac RIB was numbered using stencils and a permanent marker. Worked great! After a couple of years, touchups are very easy (if necessary). Numbers can be removed with a solvent.

My Zodiac RIB was numbered using stencils and a permanent marker. Worked great! After a couple of years, touchups are very easy (if necessary). Numbers can be removed with a solvent.

That is what the dealer that sold me the hypalon dinghy suggested.

That is what the dealer that sold me the hypalon dinghy suggested.

If a permanent marker is a Sharpie, then I will say that it doesn't last much ore than six months. That is Texas sun though and it is year round! If you're up north and you're dinghy only sees the light of day six months out of the year and even then it is not direct sunlight, it might las longer. But it was not a good solution in sub tropical climates.

Yes, but a permanent marker (wasn't a Sharpie) is easy to touch up at any time. Mine was a PVC RIB, which might last longer (surface is not as porous). I read that this was an acceptable method from an online RIB forum.

In some jurisdictions, the officials read the HSA rules about permanent numbers on boats to preclude number sign boards on tenders because they are easily removed (i.e. moved to another boat). Other jurisdictions find number boards to be acceptable. You need to check with your local authorities if you plan on using number boards on your tender.

Last edited:
If your dinghy is generally kept inflated, clean the area with acetone, then stick on standard vinyl numbers. I make my own out of Oracal 651 on an inexpensive Silhouette vinyl cutter. They have stayed firmly attached through two South Florida summers!

ERIC

Attachments

• IMG_2399.jpg
    IMG_2399.jpg
    125.6 KB · Views: 88
You can buy or make 'pockets' that hold each end of the numbering board securely to the inflatable. This way the decals stay very clear and distinct on the board and the board stays well in place on the inflatable even at high speeds. They can be removed by bending them and pulling them out if and when it is needed for deflation or storage or whatever.

If your dinghy is generally kept inflated, clean the area with acetone, then stick on standard vinyl numbers. I make my own out of Oracal 651 on an inexpensive Silhouette vinyl cutter. They have stayed firmly attached through two South Florida summers!

ERIC

BINGO!!!!! Please listen to this advice. This is an "issue" that is COMPLETELY resolved by this advice. These numbers/letters do NOT come off when the boat breathes due to temperature changes. You stick these vinyl numbers/letters on and you will NEVER have to worry about them again....EVER EVER EVER. I know it may be counter to common sense. It works...that is all there is to it. By listening to this advice this issue becomes....a NON issue. Just do it!!!! I had vinyl characters that stayed attached for 10 Texas years....even more challenging than Florida due to more extreme temperature fluctuations. With all due respect, number boards pale in comparison as they can be stolen or removed or lost....

We are in the Northeast and the vinyl numbers did not stay on well in the past. And then we still need to attach the registration stickers as well. As far as stealing is concerned I have never heard of that , perhaps in some unusual places an outboard or another valuable hard to identify item maybe - but not a number board.

We are in the Northeast and the vinyl numbers did not stay on well in the past. And then we still need to attach the registration stickers as well. As far as stealing is concerned I have never heard of that , perhaps in some unusual places an outboard or another valuable hard to identify item maybe - but not a number board.

My point is, a number board is not very "permanent". And I have had issues with registration stickers not sticking to the boat...so I stuck them on my outboard cowling. I don't think that is perfectly in line with the law, but it works and the cops(mostly game warden is the enforcement agency on our waters) leave me alone.

I used vinyl characters supplied by the same people that do boat names around here...not mail order West Marine stuff. I do not know if there is a difference. I will say that a close friend turned me onto doing numbers this way. I thought it would not work due to the continuously changing tube pressures. But it works. The vinyl stretches and contracts with the hypalon. And pretty much our whole crew does it this way and not sure anyone has had an issue. One does have to prepare the surface....with acetone or something similar.

Most cops leave you alone if it looks like it is registered and some attempt has been made to mark it. They aren't stupid and know numbers peel off and paint fades/ flakes. Boards can be fined, but never have heard of one personally in the last 45 years or so and that's all I have ever used.

It also helps if the whole boat and occupants look squared away.

Last edited:
Its great they worked for you I had that type on a few inflatables including a Sea Doo Explorer and a 15' Nautica and they did peel after a while requiring constant attention. In our area the LEO's really like you to have the tags on and displayed as they do not consider it optional.
Never had a problem with the board 'pockets' and the board being anything less than permanent on our inflatables. We have small holes in the corners where we can add the small zip ties but do not even bother - the pockets are deep enough and tight enough to hold no matter the use at any speeds.
Here is a board in pockets on one of our hypalon inflatables....

Its great they worked for you I had that type on a few inflatables including a Sea Doo Explorer and a 15' Nautica and they did peel after a while requiring constant attention. In our area the LEO's really like you to have the tags on and displayed as they do not consider it optional.
Never had a problem with the board 'pockets' and the board being anything less than permanent on our inflatables. We have small holes in the corners where we can add the small zip ties but do not even bother - the pockets are deep enough and tight enough to hold no matter the use at any speeds.
Here is a board in pockets on one of our hypalon inflatables....

Very nice!!! Our LEOs do not consider it optional either. But they do obviously give some flexibility on where the sticker is. I think as long as they can see it and it is valid, that is all they really care about. The law says it should be on the forward part of the boat toward the bow on each side. I just put one on each side of the outboard cowling and they seem to be fine with that. LEO participation and enforcement has ramped up around our waters....typical probably of everywhere where municipalities are trying to increase revenue.

Back
Top Bottom