Zodiac fills with water even when covered

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Donna

Guru
Vessel Name
Southerly
Vessel Make
1986 Marine Trader 36' Sundeck
I don't know what the solution to this is. My Zodiac sits atop my hardtop. I have a davit, etc. I keep it covered and have used 303 water repellent on it several times according to the manufactures recommendations. It fills with rain water. Is there something I can do to stop this? It is becoming bothersome with my sundeck furniture getting soaked, not to mention the added weight.

Pull the drain plug if water in the boat. If water on the top use an expandable tent pole through a grommet so it will run off.

I have my plug out. I'm going to try one of those giant beach balls before I do the whole grommet thing.

I have my plug out. I'm going to try one of those giant beach balls before I do the whole grommet thing.

Funny you should say that. A buddy of mine had the same problem and I gave him a really big beach ball I had at home. It worked out great, problem solved.

If it is still holding water with the plug out then you need to raise the forward base or lower the rear base of where it is sitting so it does drain out the back. Post a pic.

If it is still holding water with the plug out then you need to raise the forward base or lower the rear base of where it is sitting so it does drain out the back. Post a pic.

I agree,
My plug is out and very little water stays in the dink. The angle of our rooftop is about ideal .. apparently.

I flip mine upside down to avoid collecting water.

An appropriate length of PVC pipe with oversized end caps can support the cover facilitating drainage. It takes little space for setup or storage.

Me too, mine used to fill left the other way. A cover will help extend life.

+2

Does that really work for you ? You would think in the Southern Hemi that it would go the other way.

Does that really work for you ? You would think in the Southern Hemi that it would go the other way.
Well yes, but with the boat already upside down the dinghy has to go the other way.:whistling:

Well yes, but with the boat already upside down the dinghy has to go the other way.:whistling:

Do you print photos on the non-glossy side of print paper? I bet you even use the unsticky side of duct tape, too, right? I bet you even drive on the left/wrong side of the road!

I gotta come visit you guys sometime! Do you have Uber?

Do you print photos on the non-glossy side of print paper? I bet you even use the unsticky side of duct tape, too, right? I bet you even drive on the left/wrong side of the road!

I gotta come visit you guys sometime! Do you have Uber?
If you meant rebU,yes, we do.

Hey, I rarely my dinky, so the protection of its water-proof hood that provides UV protection also, and above all it rains **** seagulls etc. under the hood i is the arc that prevents water accumulation. about 1 min away and 2-3 min on, will remain in place even in strong winds, drawstring at the edge
Arch is a glass-fiber flat plate that is used within the sail
nordic-tugs-nordic-tug-37-trawler-46173070161268696657695569704567x.jpg

Last edited:
Well, not turning it upside down. Remember guys, I have to be able to lower it and bring it up myself.

I have the "waterproof" cover and have even used 303 on it.

Posting a pic today is not an option. I will not be at the boat. May I'll be back on Sunday.

I'm gonna try the beach ball for now as soon as I get back.

Yep, that's what I was going to suggest. I see that on many boats, mostly sailboats.

I bought a brand new Zodiac inflatable dinghy a few years ago. I kept it inflated when cruising and upright. It would often collect water if I forgot to take the plug out.

The third year I was getting ready to cruise and noticed that the transom had rotted out. I took it to the authorized Zodiac repair center and they refused to repair it, saying that it had rotted from being in contact with fresh (rain) water. Silly me, I would have thought that a boat would be waterproof.

Needless to say, I didn't replace it with a Zodiac and it's unlikely that I will buy a Zodiac in the future.

I keep my new (other brand) dinghy upside down when I leave it inflated.

Well, not turning it upside down. Remember guys, I have to be able to lower it and bring it up myself.

I have the "waterproof" cover and have even used 303 on it.

Posting a pic today is not an option. I will not be at the boat. May I'll be back on Sunday.

I'm gonna try the beach ball for now as soon as I get back.

If you adjust your lifting lines so the dinghy is lifted by one side only, (and comes up sideways) you can lay it down either way. No turning over is required.

Back
Top Bottom