Old 11-21-2014, 09:57 AM   #21

An outboard type squeeze bulb pump right before the racors. Bleeding the entire system or just refilling the racors to the brim without spilling a drop.

SaltyDog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 10:02 AM   #22
Guru

City: gulf coast
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayview
Punching a hole in big diesel lube oil filters to drain them before removal. No more dirty oil spills
And slide a gallon ziplock bag around the filter to make it dripless removal and disposal. __________________

I seal the hole, after draining, with a metal screw and anything rubber including faucet washers. The filter is then dry, light and easy to handle.

I have not had good luck with the do it inside a baggie process. If the filter is full, oil comes out and its like grabbing a greased pig. If it is empty there is no need. Of course I have heard rumors that some filters are positioned for easy access.

bayview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 10:11 AM   #23

Aluminum foil placed under filters in such a way as to drain into a pan saves a lot of mess.
SaltyDog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 10:14 AM   #24
Guru

City: South FL
Vessel Name: Oliver
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 47 Hull# 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by sum escape View Post
Shop vac to get genset impeller parts out of heat exchanger. Pull the "output" hose off the water pump, duct tape your shop vac to the hose, make sure the exhaust "flap" is open (if you have one), turn on the vac and count the pieces you get to match how many are missing from the impeller. Works well on my Onan.
That is a great idea!
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
N4712 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 10:24 AM   #25
Guru

City: DC
Vessel Name: Carolena II
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 32/34
On our sailboat, Yanmar 2GMF, we installed a speedseal on the raw water pump. Made it possible to change the impeller with no tools. Unfortunately, I don't think they make ones for larger diesels.

Also on the sailboat, I got a piece of pvc pipe almost the same inside diameter as our prop shaft. I cut it to around four inches long with a slit down the side. Heated it with a heat gun, and formed it to the prop shaft. When we would change the stuffing box packing, I would use the piece of PVC to pack in the loops.

On our Nordic Tug, we have a fuel fill that is a straight shot to the tank. We had considered installing a site glass to know exactly how much fuel we have on board, but instead I measured the height of the tank, then transfered marks to a piece of dowl at 1/8 increments. Painted the dowel with clear epoxy and now have a dip stick that tells us EXACTLY how much fuel we have in the tank. With a 200 gal tank, each mark is 25 gals. Cheap and easy.
Carolena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 10:41 AM   #26
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolena View Post
On our sailboat, Yanmar 2GMF, we installed a speedseal on the raw water pump. Made it possible to change the impeller with no tools. Unfortunately, I don't think they make ones for larger diesels.

Also on the sailboat, I got a piece of pvc pipe almost the same inside diameter as our prop shaft. I cut it to around four inches long with a slit down the side. Heated it with a heat gun, and formed it to the prop shaft. When we would change the stuffing box packing, I would use the piece of PVC to pack in the loops.

On our Nordic Tug, we have a fuel fill that is a straight shot to the tank. We had considered installing a site glass to know exactly how much fuel we have on board, but instead I measured the height of the tank, then transfered marks to a piece of dowl at 1/8 increments. Painted the dowel with clear epoxy and now have a dip stick that tells us EXACTLY how much fuel we have in the tank. With a 200 gal tank, each mark is 25 gals. Cheap and easy.
A stick with marks or a see through plastic tank are the only methods I swear by.

We have stick stabber for the assistance tow boat and people who have run out of gas that I respond to just shake their heads when I show them the stick. Usually just after I tell them the most unreliable thing on their boat is their fuel gauge.

Some gauges are OK... but not the typical ones unless you get lucky or fiddle with them all the time.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 12:33 PM   #27

City: Miami
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Ranson View Post
Cafe sport. Did you fabricate the flusher or by them.

Made my own 3/4" hose bib shutoff valve w/MNPT end threaded into the top of the strainer.

Via iPhone.
Old 11-21-2014, 12:56 PM   #28
Scraping Paint

City: -
The best boat maintenance tip I've gotten came from a member of this forum who appears to be no longer active on it. This is to use GoJo as a cleaner for fenders and shorepower cords. The original GoJo with pumice. Nothing else we have ever tried works as well, and we tried a lot of things before learning about GoJo.

As an aside, Boeing now uses GoJo (with pumice) in all the assembly plant washrooms. Terrific stuff.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 01:10 PM   #29
Guru

City: Sarasota,FL/Thomasville,GA
Vessel Name: Steppin Stone IV
Vessel Model: Marine Trader Kelly Trawler 46
Send a message via Skype™ to siestakey
Marin

it is great stuff and has so many uses
siestakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 01:13 PM   #30
Guru

City: South FL
Vessel Name: Oliver
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 47 Hull# 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin View Post
The best boat maintenance tip I've gotten came from a member of this forum who appears to be no longer active on it. This is to use GoJo as a cleaner for fenders and shorepower cords. The original GoJo with pumice. Nothing else we have ever tried works as well, and we tried a lot of things before learning about GoJo.

As an aside, Boeing now uses GoJo (with pumice) in all the assembly plant washrooms. Terrific stuff.
Is pumice that gritty stuff?
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
N4712 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 01:18 PM   #31

City: Baltimore
Quote:
Originally Posted by sum escape View Post
Shop vac to get genset impeller parts out of heat exchanger. Pull the "output" hose off the water pump, duct tape your shop vac to the hose, make sure the exhaust "flap" is open (if you have one), turn on the vac and count the pieces you get to match how many are missing from the impeller. Works well on my Onan.

Does it not suck hard enough to be concerned with the water laying in the muffler coming back into the Manifold?
eseyoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 02:48 PM   #32
Scraping Paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by N4712 View Post
Is pumice that gritty stuff?
Yes.
Old 11-21-2014, 02:49 PM   #33
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayview View Post
........ I have not had good luck with the do it inside a baggie process. If the filter is full, oil comes out and its like grabbing a greased pig. ........
Neither have I. I gave up and bought some disposable aluminum baking pans. There's a place under the horizontally mounted (what were they thinking?) oil filter where I can place the pan and catch the oil that leaks out.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 02:57 PM   #34
Scraping Paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayview View Post
Punching a hole in big diesel lube oil filters to drain them before removal. No more dirty oil spills
Absolutely. I was told this trick by one of the mechanics at our diesel shop. A particularly good tip for FL120 owners with the stock upside down oil filter mount.

I run the engine until the oil filter is warm to hott-ish to the touch, shut down, punch a couple of holes in the top (bottom) of the oil filter, then proceed to pull the oil out of the engine sump. By the time I've finished that, the oil filter is virtually empty. Wrap a rag around the base, unscrew the filter and drop it in a small trash bag and that's that. No spill, no mess.
Old 11-21-2014, 03:58 PM   #35

City: Muskegon, MI
Vessel Name: Sum Escape
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 47' Europa
Quote:
Originally Posted by eseyoung View Post
Does it not suck hard enough to be concerned with the water laying in the muffler coming back into the Manifold?
Not a lot of water comes out, it sort of "spits" water and bits of the impeller. So I personally have not had an issue with annual impeller changes using this procedure.
sum escape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 04:12 PM   #36
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
I used to always do the hole in the filter trick till one time the replacement had bad threads.

So now sitting on my garage floor with no way to the parts store......

I use bags....for many not all applications and with a large , heavy duty bag I have no issues.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 04:27 PM   #37
Scraping Paint

That would be a problem, no question. However, with two engines and always a spair pair of oil filters on board, it's not a problem we'd be likely to encounter.
Old 11-21-2014, 04:31 PM   #38

City: Deltaville, VA
Vessel Name: Cork
Vessel Model: Halvorsen GC32
Some great tips just like I was hoping for due to all of the experience on this board.
I really like the dipstick idea and am learning a lot from other posts.

When I got my first boat that was big enough to overnight on (27 foot Searay) I rented my first marina slip. Lucky for me that in the slip next to me was a mechanical engineer living on his boat while working on a project for a nearby DuPont plant. Lucky because he was always happy to help when I was doing stuff on my boat. He was full of great tips and practical advice which I was soaking up like a sponge. I credit him with keeping me from giving up on boating because I couldn't afford to pay a shop for maintenance or repairs.

Thanks to everyone who has responded so far. Keep those ideas coming ��
Bill Ranson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 05:09 PM   #39
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
I used to always do the hole in the filter trick till one time the replacement had bad threads.

So now sitting on my garage floor with no way to the parts store......
Yep, that could be a problem. And I got hold of a Racor for my boat with bad threads once.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 05:16 PM   #40
Guru

City: Cape May, NJ and Englewood, FL
Vessel Name: Irish Lady
Speaking of shopvacs, I use a "Buckethead" from Home Depot for about $20. Its a vac head that fits on a std 5 or 3 gal bucket. If you are short on room on board, pop the head off, empty the contents and store the head. Then you can use the bucket for something else.

1984 Monk 36 Hull #46
Englewood, FL and Cape May, NJ
High Wire is offline   Reply With Quote