Old 01-10-2013, 06:22 AM   #21
TF Site Team

City: JAX, FL
Vessel Name: Hobo
Vessel Model: Krogen 42-120
Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
Average billing rate around here is $100-$110 an hour. So, I suspect the typical worker gets something like a $35 an hour wage.
Come to Trinidad. I have an experienced bright work/painter that I pay $50TT/hour and a semi-skilled, needs a little direction type, for $30TT/hour. (6.44TT to 1 USD) It's not always for the faint of heart though. We sometimes feel like a den mother in the tropics herding cats. The results can be good if you (they) ignore the schedule.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	006 (8).jpg
Views:	53
Size:	148.6 KB
ID:	15529  

Larry M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 06:38 AM   #22
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B
Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
In a rare instance, I got my sister to help on the brightwork:

But mostly rely on professionals to do most technical stuff like upgrading the chain locker (new tray to raise locker drain).

That's a fairly large loo you've got there Mark...don't fall down it....

Peter B is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 06:54 AM   #23
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
I paid someone to compound and wax my boat once. It was a lot of money so I decided to do it myself the next time. I've bought the tools and supplies but never been able to finish the entire job at once.

I pay people to botom paint. Some jobs aren't worth doing yourself.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 07:00 AM   #24
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonstruck View Post
At the rates charged today, poor people are not working on boats. These guys are doing pretty well as they should. Good work deserves good pay.
Really depends...up in Jersey...every small marine business guy I know in the boating business went out of business or had to consolidate with another more profitable one.

The techs and mechs make less than many counterparts farther inshore and many get laid off for a month or two in the winter.

I make way less than my son who doesn't have a college degree who works for an asphalt company.

Some in the marine construction business...especially after Sandy are doing OK but it's long hours and away from home. After oil spills...a lot of people in the marine industry squeeze that fat cat too but they don't happen every year.

Where I come from the yard may be charging $120/hr...but the tech is only making $15-$25 living in a high cost area unless they want a long commute in the Summer and their benefits might be good but not in many places.

All in all...they are doing WAY better than a cave dweller in Afghanistan...but few if any will ever own boats like many here unless they come into good side money or get it some where's else.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 07:34 AM   #25
Guru

As anyone who owns a Cummins B or C series engine knows changing the raw water pump is a PIA requiring the engine mount bracket to be removed and the engine supported by a jack. I do most of my own maintenance by necessity but not this job. The bill - $1700 and is why I do most of my maintenance.
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 12:03 PM   #26
Guru

If I didn't do all my own work, I couldn't afford to own a boat. Besides, I can't afford any one as good as me.
ancora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 01:11 PM   #27
Guru

City: Everett Wa
Vessel Name: Eagle
Vessel Model: Roughwater 58 pilot house
Each year I been having more and more done by others. Year 2012 had the oil/filter charged to messy, and had the six 8-D batteries replaced as my wife can not carry her sides anymore. Year 2013, I may have to change the sanitation hose which is just TOO, and bow thruster hydraulic hose which are heavy and requires several people. In the year 2014 I plan on having the boat gone thru and hoses/belts replaced, which I am budgeting others do the majority of it. Doing the maintenance is not near the enjoyment it used to be.

When we retire we plan on spending 9 month of the year in warmer climates, we will have some one care/maintain the boat, so when we come back for 3 months the boat is ready to go. I find the best time to have work on the boat is between October thru March as they have time and their rates are more reasonable. However, when others work on the boat, I am usually there and/or check on the work as I am willing to lend a hand, be a gofer, and to learn.
Phil Fill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 01:42 PM   #28
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Fill View Post
Doing the maintenance is not near the enjoyment it used to be.
However, when others work on the boat, I am usually there and/or check on the work as I am willing to lend a hand, be a gofer, and to learn.
I adopted that procedure about 5 years ago and have experienced substantial savings on the mechanic's hourly rate by doing exactly what Phil Fill has stated. Yes, by being the Gofer, one can really cut down on the time the mechs are running to their trucks, looking for a themarisis that I happen to have or running across town to pick up a part. (No mark up on the part since I bought it!) I also stop at the bank before they arrive so I can pay them in cash. (It always results in them lowering the bill. ) This procedure (cash) has also resulted in them getting to me immediately when I call.
It's not cheap, but I get the satisfaction of getting the work done right & learning a lot more about my boat. (Not to mention the savings!)

My passion for improving my boat(s) exceeds my desire to constantly cruise them.
Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 02:23 PM   #29

City: Monterey, CA
Vessel Name: Mahalo
Vessel Model: Defever 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pineapple Girl View Post
I'd imagine one would require a towel attendant stationed pool side in some appropriately eye candyish attire.

Eric b, the mechanic finally showed up!!! Yea!!
Mechanic showed up but for a broken exhaust pipe. Still working through my smoking issue. AND....would not want either the mechanic nor the bright work woman in a towel....ever!
Baggiolini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 05:53 PM   #30
TF Site Team

City: Home Port: Buck's Harbor, Maine
Vessel Name: "Emily Anne"
Vessel Model: 2001 Island Gypsy 32 Europa (Hull #146)
Quote:
Originally Posted by timjet View Post
As anyone who owns a Cummins B or C series engine knows changing the raw water pump is a PIA requiring the engine mount bracket to be removed and the engine supported by a jack. I do most of my own maintenance by necessity but not this job. The bill - $1700 and is why I do most of my maintenance.
Replaced our pump with a raw water pump from Seaboard Marine (Tony Athens). Don't see it in the description, but supposedly its designed for easier removal so that one can replace it w/o going through that procedure.
Old 01-10-2013, 05:56 PM   #31

City: Gulf Shores, Alabama
Vessel Name: Holly Day
Vessel Model: Marine Trader 44
When I drove other people's yachts for a living, when something went wrong I got out my little black book of professional help and made a call. Now I'm retired, it's a different story. Instead of doing it myself I suppose I could still make a call, but then I'd have to go back to the salt mines. Ah...yachting! I once heard it defined as "Getting wet and becoming ill, whilst slowly going nowhere at great expense."
Captain K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 08:35 PM   #32
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Quote:
Originally Posted by timjet View Post
I had to read that twice to comprehend. Incredible. My sea water pump is easy. I passed up all the engines that were only available w a built in gear driven pump. Ordered an engine from Klassen and had my choice. I chose the remote mounted bronze sea water pump belt driven from a pully on the front of the crankshaft. Extra groves for possible hydraulic pump or whatever. I use one belt for the sea water pump and haven't changed it yet (7yrs). It looks the same as it did 7 years ago when it was new. It takes me about 1/2 hour to change the impeller and probably not much longer to change the belt. I'll give it a good look this spring. Hasn't required adjustment for years. Of course there's very little load on it.

I talked about how the truck engines don't come out perfect when converted to marine service. Perhaps your sea water pump is an example of that.

In the pic see my pump lower left and it's drive belt.

Larry M,
That's about the most beautiful bow I've ever seen.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	STH71439 copy.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	88.6 KB
ID:	15546  

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 09:18 PM   #33
Guru

City: coos bay
Quote:
Originally Posted by alormaria View Post
I wonder what the poor people are doing today?
working on the rich old girl bright work in the slip

bfloyd4445 is offline   Reply With Quote