Xantrex chargers & inverters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JESSEDIVER49

Vessel Name
Good Vibrations
Vessel Make
Grand Banks Classic 42
The GB 42 I bought a year ago has a Xantrex battery charger and a ProSine 2 (Xantrex) Inverter/Charger. Both units have issues. The first unit, a battery charger for engine start, is only 2/1/2 years old, just out of warranty, and has internal fault condition light. I tried hard resets numerous times but it needs to be replaced. The second unit, inverter and charger for invert batteries, functions only partially. Not sure how old unit is. The charger gives a "low bus volt" error message and will not charge. Former owner tells me these units only last a couple years which sounds strange to me. Before I replace with same units, I'd like some recommendations for 12v battery chargers and 2000 watt inverters. Thanks!

For the charger side of things Newmar, and charles are some good names. For inverter/charger side of things Magnum, Mastervolt, and outback are some good names.

Xantrex used to be industry leaders, innovators and had great product support. No longer. In fact, a salesman at Western Marine (wholesalers) told me Xantrex products were unreliable and their customer support sucked, they were considering dropping them.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have personally owned 2 Xantrex chargers and 3 Xantrex Prosine 2.0 inverter/chargers and 2 Xantrex 2024 inverter/chargers. I will never buy another Xantrex product !!!!! Customer service is non existent. The 2.0 comes with a book, not a user manual. It is complicated. And fragile. I sold all of my Xantrex crap on ebay for pennies on the dollar. Magnum inverters, on the other hand, are in my opinion the very best supported inverters made today. YMMV

Thanks guys!

Many folks that live aboard dockside chose to use the RV system.

This is a converter (not a charger) to feed the house dockside.

The old Constavolt is a marine unit of this style.

The unit does not see the DC loads as a drop in battery voltage , requiring a complete charge , and eventually float cycle , eating water out of every charge cycle.

Instead it just holds 12.8V or so and powers your DC loads .

Of course it is crap as a charger for almost dead batts , but that was never its purpose.

A DC charger , inverter and converter allows the least danger of overcharge , and the least hassle when something goes bad.

A smart charger fooled into overcharging (say by a DC fridge) may boil off enough water to expose the batt plates , expensive!

I agree I would never own a Xantrex again. Went through three 2500W units. Have a Magnum now and knock on wood, no issues.

I agree I would never own a Xantrex again.

Count me as another one who will not buy Xantrex. The company's policy appears to be if it breaks in warranty they will replace. If it breaks out of warranty throw it away.

I had a Magnum tech (American even) on the phone talk me thru a field repair on a ME2000 inverter. I had to remove a MOV from a circuit. Some dissassembly required. Excellent costumer support.

Count me as another one who will not buy Xantrex. The company's policy appears to be if it breaks in warranty they will replace. If it breaks out of warranty throw it away.

This has been my experience as well. I took a defective charger to their authorized repair center in my town. He called me back and said Xantrex wouldn't provide him with schematics or repair parts. I replaced it with a different brand.

On the other hand, when my Xantrex inverter became unreliable I replaced it with the same model so I wouldn't have to redo the installation.

To the OP: There's no reason you need two chargers. Nearly all modern chargers are designed to be able to charge multiple battery banks at the same time.

Xantrex

Again, THANKS ALL for the valuable info, tips and mfr feedback. Yes, on the # chargers. I see no need either unless all marine inverters come with chargers for inverter batteries which I don't know yet. I'm now inclined to get a Magnum charger. I'd expect replacement to be relatively easy, 110 v power supply in and same 12v service out. Not so sure about inverter replacement if I go to say an Outback. My next step is to drill into these two replacement units.

All marine inverters do not come with chargers. You can buy inverters, you can buy chargers and you can buy combined inverter/chargers.

You can buy these in several capacities and configurations. Since some of the internal parts are basically duplicates, it's usually less expensive to buy the combination than separate units. Your needs or your boat's layout may make this impractical though.

Get out your West Marine catalog and see what is available. After you've done a little research, check the Internet as well.

I have a Xantrex truecharge2 40 amp battery charger. Replaced once under warranty and now in service trouble free for about 3 years. Failure was associated with the cooling fan.

I must be the only happy Xantrex customer!

I've has their freedom, puresine, and now the SW series in several boats over the yesrs.

All of them woorked great!

The SW series is a throwback to the old freedom series in terms of heavy duty design. It weighs something like 75 lbs I think. Very robust!

I have a Xantrex truecharge2 40 amp battery charger. Replaced once under warranty and now in service trouble free for about 3 years. Failure was associated with the cooling fan.

It was ridiculous for them to not fix that charger. The cooling fan is a flat pancake style fan like in a computer. They are available for about $8.00 on the internet. If it happens again out of warranty take the cover off and replace the fan. You can find the exact model when you have the numbers.

A good indicator that it is a fan problem will be that the charger would start charging fine, but then shut off when it warms up.

I recently acquired one of these:
img_281723_0_24a1063e52e3e5204dbd7c5f91788db9.jpg

Should I go more modern or it good old technology?

My Xantrex inverter has what I think is a pretty stupid "feature". The cooling fan runs from time to time when in the pass through mode (shore power is available). After much research, I found that the transfer relay is engaged when shore power is available (this make sense of course) but it heats up and this turns the fan on.

This is not only a bit annoying but on the first one, the fan began making noise after a few years. One would think a heat sink on the relay would be a better design.

The real reason I replaced the original is that it would not reliably turn on. It would often go into an overload shut down for no reason. Perhaps one in ten times it would start normally.

It was ridiculous for them to not fix that charger. The cooling fan is a flat pancake style fan like in a computer. They are available for about $8.00 on the internet. If it happens again out of warranty take the cover off and replace the fan. You can find the exact model when you have the numbers.

My experience with these cheap Chinese computer fans is they don't hold up well in salt laden air. I had trouble with one in a Panasonic TV and a personal computer when I lived in a condo on the beach. Both of them went south inn under two years.

I've has their freedom, puresine, and now the SW series in several boats over the years.

:thumb: Me too!! I'm on my second Xantrex charger and have had no trouble with either of them.

My first Truecharger was only 20 amp and sometimes it didn't like the cycling of my mechanically governed Onan generator very well. I wanted to up size to a larger capacity charger anyway and installed a 60 amp Xantrex in it's place last year.

The 20 amp Xantrex was reinstalled in my garage and now happily maintains the batteries on my two collector cars and my sons 16' fishing boat.

My Zantrex has been fine for 10 years.

Xantrex Truecharge 2-40 with remote and temp sensors, several years old and 3 battery banks still in great shape.

No problems so far. :hide:

You really have to ask, "which Xantrex?". The one from 10 years ago before they were bought out by a private equity firm? or the one run by the private equity firm? or the one today, owned by the Schneider Group of France? Anecdotally, I hear things have got better since the Schneider acquisition. But my feeling is, when you have really fine All American companies like NewMar, Charles, Magnum, and Outback, why buy anything else unless you are really broke and initial cost of ownership is more important than total cost of ownership (not to mention one's sense of patriotism, all assuming you are a US citizen) ?

Magnum doesn't make pure chargers by the way, they are inverter and inverter/charger guys. They do make a nifty combiner that allows the inverter/charger to charge a starter bank.

Smart Battery Combiner (ME-SBC) - Magnum Energy, Inc.

I am a very happy Magnum customer (apparently one of the first to put one on a boat), by the way, and was a very unhappy "bad Xantrex" customer too.

IIRC the prosine 2.0 was the "bad" unit. And it was not cheap by any standard. But its kinda like the Ford diesel 6.0 fiasco, even after the problem is fixed it leaves a bad taste for the folks that got it crammed down there throat.

FWIW, my combo Xantrex gave up the ghost last year. It was about 9 years old. I was told by the distributor it was not repairable.

I replaced the unit with a Victron.Why?, because I posted a thread and got much the same replies that have been posted here, that is Xantrex are not what they used to be.

I don't have the knowledge to argue this point either way, but I was swayed by the stories. The second reason I bought the Victron was that some of the Aussie members here put me in touch with a terrific guy who sold and serviced the units. A very straight shooter, he was quite happy to give me his thoughts on the pro's and con's of each of the units, spent a lot of time answering my questions.

For example I have had battery issues and yesterday I rang my Victon man for a chat about them, I bought the unit about 9 months ago and my question really had nothing to do with the unit he sold me, no problems he spent about 15 minutes walking me through the procedure to track down the problem.

My point is, owning an older boat that needs pretty much continual maintenance it's important to build up a relationship with the people most important to you in your marine life. You may not get the absolute rock bottom price as from one of the big retailers. What you will get is professional advice & support, which can be very valuable in keeping these old girls afloat.

Last edited:
The 20 amp Xantrex was reinstalled in my garage and now happily maintains the batteries on my two collector cars and my sons 16' fishing boat.

I wish I had my dad's garage for my spare boats!

I also have had good luck with my $120 1000W Xantrex MSW inverter. It powers what I need powered and runs quietly. It didn't break the bank when I bought it and won't break the bank if it needs to be replaced. So far, it's been there for 2 years without an issue.

My previous Xantrex died because of my own F-up. I inadvertently left a battery ground cable disconnected during a start with the battery banks tied. The load sought ground through the inverter grounding and fried the circuit. That was definitely an "Aw $hit" moment!

Last edited:
You really have to ask, "which Xantrex?". The one from 10 years ago before they were bought out by a private equity firm? or the one run by the private equity firm? or the one today, owned by the Schneider Group of France? Anecdotally, I hear things have got better since the Schneider acquisition.

This is a good point. Here's a rough history:

- Heart Interface made the Freedom inverter chargers show in a previous post. These were crude, but worked, and arguably started the use of inverters in pleasure boats. They also made all the Link battery monitor devices that many people still use today.

- Trace made a very good line of inverters. The DS (I think) models were modified square wave, and the SW models were sine wave. The SW models arguable ushered in the world of sine wave inverters. These were excellent devices.

- Then along came Xantrex, then a Canadian company. They bought Heart, Trace, and a handful of other lower end consumer inverter companies. I'm not sure, but I don't think they ever designed and built anything themselves, but just bought up all the inverter companies out there at the time. At this point everything started getting labeled Xantrex and things became confusing because some of the products were crap and some were still good. Support went to hell and the downward spiral began.

- The Trace guys left and started Outback, and built another line of good products. Their initial product line was the "FX" line, which internally stood for Fu$k Xantrex.

- I'm told that Magnum was also started by another Trace refugee.

- Xantrex attempted to create a more modern version of the SW inverter and it was a complete dud. They also tried to do a firmware update for the original SW so it would meet the new grid-tie regulations and it broke as many things as it fixed.

- The only good thing to come out of Xantrex is the newer (5 yrs old now) XW line of inverters. I've been running my house on one for about 7 years now and they are really quite good.

- Schneider buys Xantrex and appears to do three things:

1) They move the XW line under the Schneider name and target it as a industrial product. The XW line, for example, is not on the Xantrex web site, only the Schneider site.

2) Everything else remains under the Xantrex name, presumably targeted at consumer and commercial applications.

3) They appear to be actively culling the Xantrex product line through aggressive neglect. Looking at their product line up now, many of the problem products appear only in name. But the designs look different. I understand wanting to flush bad products from the market, but normally you would not want to take the company's down the crapper with them. Oh well, can't win them all.

So that's my understanding/interpretation. Anyone got any other dirt?

Last edited by a moderator:
I replaced the Xantrex charger that came with my boat with a Victron charger. I noticed my flooded thruster batteries were suddenly using water at a higher rate. I found that the Xantrex was putting out higher voltage than it was supposed to. I am still surprised that my Victron Gel house batteries survived the experience. I have been happy with the Victron charger and hope to add a Victron inverter next.

I've has their freedom, puresine, and now the SW series in several boats over the yesrs.

The SW series is a throwback to the old freedom series in terms of heavy duty design. It weighs something like 75 lbs I think. Very robust!

Make that two happy customers. I have had three in as many boats over the years and had a problem only one time (water sprayed into the unit doing internal damage; authorized service tech replaced a circuit board for a reasonable price and the unit was good as new). In fairness, however, I haven't purchased one for 5 years, so things (like customer service) may have changed.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom