Old 11-05-2014, 08:19 PM   #1
Veteran Member

City: Houston
Vessel Name: Good Vibrations
Vessel Model: Grand Banks Classic 42
Xantrex chargers & inverters

The GB 42 I bought a year ago has a Xantrex battery charger and a ProSine 2 (Xantrex) Inverter/Charger. Both units have issues. The first unit, a battery charger for engine start, is only 2/1/2 years old, just out of warranty, and has internal fault condition light. I tried hard resets numerous times but it needs to be replaced. The second unit, inverter and charger for invert batteries, functions only partially. Not sure how old unit is. The charger gives a "low bus volt" error message and will not charge. Former owner tells me these units only last a couple years which sounds strange to me. Before I replace with same units, I'd like some recommendations for 12v battery chargers and 2000 watt inverters. Thanks!

JESSEDIVER49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 08:30 PM   #2
Guru

City: South FL
Vessel Name: Oliver
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 47 Hull# 12
For the charger side of things Newmar, and charles are some good names. For inverter/charger side of things Magnum, Mastervolt, and outback are some good names.

Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
N4712 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 08:39 PM   #3
Guru

City: Pender Harbour, BC
Vessel Name: Gwaii Haanas
Vessel Model: Vancouver Shipyards Custom Aluminum 52
Xantrex used to be industry leaders, innovators and had great product support. No longer. In fact, a salesman at Western Marine (wholesalers) told me Xantrex products were unreliable and their customer support sucked, they were considering dropping them.
Old 11-05-2014, 08:40 PM   #4
Guru

City: Venice Louisiana
I have personally owned 2 Xantrex chargers and 3 Xantrex Prosine 2.0 inverter/chargers and 2 Xantrex 2024 inverter/chargers. I will never buy another Xantrex product !!!!! Customer service is non existent. The 2.0 comes with a book, not a user manual. It is complicated. And fragile. I sold all of my Xantrex crap on ebay for pennies on the dollar. Magnum inverters, on the other hand, are in my opinion the very best supported inverters made today. YMMV
kulas44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 08:42 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Thanks guys!
Old 11-06-2014, 06:50 AM   #6
FF
Guru

Many folks that live aboard dockside chose to use the RV system.

This is a converter (not a charger) to feed the house dockside.

The old Constavolt is a marine unit of this style.

The unit does not see the DC loads as a drop in battery voltage , requiring a complete charge , and eventually float cycle , eating water out of every charge cycle.

Instead it just holds 12.8V or so and powers your DC loads .

Of course it is crap as a charger for almost dead batts , but that was never its purpose.

A DC charger , inverter and converter allows the least danger of overcharge , and the least hassle when something goes bad.

A smart charger fooled into overcharging (say by a DC fridge) may boil off enough water to expose the batt plates , expensive!
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 06:58 AM   #7
Guru

City: Niceville, FL
Vessel Name: At Last
Vessel Model: 1990 Jefferson 52 Marquessa
I agree I would never own a Xantrex again. Went through three 2500W units. Have a Magnum now and knock on wood, no issues.
Rogerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 08:01 AM   #8
TF Site Team

City: JAX, FL
Vessel Name: Hobo
Vessel Model: Krogen 42-120
We installed an OutBack Power inverter/charger (true sign wave) in 2007 and have not had one issue. They have a standard 5 year warranty, are field serviceable and US made. No connection other than a happy user.

http://www.outbackpower.com/download..._specsheet.pdf

Outback Power Inc. - Mobile Applications
Larry M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 08:16 AM   #9
TF Site Team

City: Chicago, IL
Vessel Name: Bay Pelican
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogerh View Post
I agree I would never own a Xantrex again.
Count me as another one who will not buy Xantrex. The company's policy appears to be if it breaks in warranty they will replace. If it breaks out of warranty throw it away.
Old 11-06-2014, 08:55 AM   #10
Guru

City: Venice Louisiana
I had a Magnum tech (American even) on the phone talk me thru a field repair on a ME2000 inverter. I had to remove a MOV from a circuit. Some dissassembly required. Excellent costumer support.
kulas44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 08:57 AM   #11
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bay Pelican View Post
Count me as another one who will not buy Xantrex. The company's policy appears to be if it breaks in warranty they will replace. If it breaks out of warranty throw it away.
This has been my experience as well. I took a defective charger to their authorized repair center in my town. He called me back and said Xantrex wouldn't provide him with schematics or repair parts. I replaced it with a different brand.

On the other hand, when my Xantrex inverter became unreliable I replaced it with the same model so I wouldn't have to redo the installation.

To the OP: There's no reason you need two chargers. Nearly all modern chargers are designed to be able to charge multiple battery banks at the same time.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 09:11 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Xantrex

Again, THANKS ALL for the valuable info, tips and mfr feedback. Yes, on the # chargers. I see no need either unless all marine inverters come with chargers for inverter batteries which I don't know yet. I'm now inclined to get a Magnum charger. I'd expect replacement to be relatively easy, 110 v power supply in and same 12v service out. Not so sure about inverter replacement if I go to say an Outback. My next step is to drill into these two replacement units.
Old 11-06-2014, 10:26 AM   #13
Guru

All marine inverters do not come with chargers. You can buy inverters, you can buy chargers and you can buy combined inverter/chargers.

You can buy these in several capacities and configurations. Since some of the internal parts are basically duplicates, it's usually less expensive to buy the combination than separate units. Your needs or your boat's layout may make this impractical though.

Get out your West Marine catalog and see what is available. After you've done a little research, check the Internet as well.
Old 11-06-2014, 10:40 AM   #14

City: Seabrook Texas
Vessel Name: TheVenture
Vessel Model: 1985 Bestway Labelle Sundeck 40ft
I have a Xantrex truecharge2 40 amp battery charger. Replaced once under warranty and now in service trouble free for about 3 years. Failure was associated with the cooling fan.
obthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 11:18 AM   #15
TF Site Team

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: LISAS WAY
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
I must be the only happy Xantrex customer!

I've has their freedom, puresine, and now the SW series in several boats over the yesrs.

All of them woorked great!

The SW series is a throwback to the old freedom series in terms of heavy duty design. It weighs something like 75 lbs I think. Very robust!
www.mvlisasway.com
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 11:21 AM   #16
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Quote:
Originally Posted by obthomas View Post
I have a Xantrex truecharge2 40 amp battery charger. Replaced once under warranty and now in service trouble free for about 3 years. Failure was associated with the cooling fan.
It was ridiculous for them to not fix that charger. The cooling fan is a flat pancake style fan like in a computer. They are available for about $8.00 on the internet. If it happens again out of warranty take the cover off and replace the fan. You can find the exact model when you have the numbers.

A good indicator that it is a fan problem will be that the charger would start charging fine, but then shut off when it warms up.
http://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 11:30 AM   #17
Guru

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: The Promise
Vessel Model: Roughwater 35
I recently acquired one of these:

Should I go more modern or it good old technology?
Old 11-06-2014, 11:33 AM   #18
Guru

My Xantrex inverter has what I think is a pretty stupid "feature". The cooling fan runs from time to time when in the pass through mode (shore power is available). After much research, I found that the transfer relay is engaged when shore power is available (this make sense of course) but it heats up and this turns the fan on.

This is not only a bit annoying but on the first one, the fan began making noise after a few years. One would think a heat sink on the relay would be a better design.

The real reason I replaced the original is that it would not reliably turn on. It would often go into an overload shut down for no reason. Perhaps one in ten times it would start normally.
Old 11-06-2014, 12:16 PM   #19
Guru

City: Satsuma FL
Vessel Name: No Mo Trawla
Vessel Model: Hurricane SS188
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonstruck View Post
It was ridiculous for them to not fix that charger. The cooling fan is a flat pancake style fan like in a computer. They are available for about $8.00 on the internet. If it happens again out of warranty take the cover off and replace the fan. You can find the exact model when you have the numbers.
My experience with these cheap Chinese computer fans is they don't hold up well in salt laden air. I had trouble with one in a Panasonic TV and a personal computer when I lived in a condo on the beach. Both of them went south inn under two years.
Donsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 02:40 PM   #20
Guru

City: PNW
Vessel Model: 1976 Californian Tricabin LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksanders View Post
I must be the only happy Xantrex customer!

I've has their freedom, puresine, and now the SW series in several boats over the years.

All of them woorked great!
Me too!! I'm on my second Xantrex charger and have had no trouble with either of them.

My first Truecharger was only 20 amp and sometimes it didn't like the cycling of my mechanically governed Onan generator very well. I wanted to up size to a larger capacity charger anyway and installed a 60 amp Xantrex in it's place last year.

The 20 amp Xantrex was reinstalled in my garage and now happily maintains the batteries on my two collector cars and my sons 16' fishing boat.