Wood Veneer Table Top

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Andy G

Hospitality Officer
Vessel Name
Sarawana
Vessel Make
IG 36 Quad Cabin
There was a time when it was the height of style to laminate solid wood(Teak) table tops, to give them that 'now' look. Unfortunatly our IG was built during this this Hong Kong fashion statement.

Looking at the origional sales brochure it looks as though the whole origional interior was laminate. Does anyone else suffer from this affliction?

Interesting.* Our lowly1983 *32 IG has a solid teak table (no veneer) wonder if some PO changed it.

JohnP

Attachments

• table.jpg
    table.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 99
Shrimp, my vintage Marine Trader also had laminate on all the horizontal surfaces. It originally had a "wood-grain" look to it but years of UV exposure had made it faded and nasty.

Solution: I bought some pressure-sensitive teak veneer from Rockler wood supplier.

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=2213

Here are Before & After pics.* Once installed, the stuff stays put very well, and can be sanded, etc like real wood. (It is real teak) .

A couple of coats of Cetol and Bob's your uncle

-- Edited by ARoss on Sunday 10th of April 2011 08:54:31 AM

Attachments

• misc 013.jpg
    misc 013.jpg
    161.8 KB · Views: 102
  • yw4.jpeg
    yw4.jpeg
    65.1 KB · Views: 102
ARoss,* Great resource! Self stick teak veneer.* Thanks for posting! JohnP

My wife was going to refinish the salon table, and she sanded thru the thin veneer, so I sand the first layer off.* Also there were a couple of areas under the windows the teak veneer had water damage marks, so I sand the first layer off.* I was going to apply a new teak veneer layer but after 13+ years the table and area still look good.

There were a lot of water stains on the teak plywood in my boat as well -- as you can see in the above pics. Several stained pieces under the windows (which had been replaced and are now watertight) had been done with luan plywood, and the overall look wasn't great. We elected to sand, prime and paint it all white. The instructions on using the Peel & Stick veneer say you need a smooth hard surface anyway, and we decided the boat didn't justify the time and $$$ to prime/shellac all the bulkheads and then veneer them over.

We have a limited amount of wide, sawn teak veneer* up to 12 inches wide that is sanded to 1/8" thickness. It is old air dried, Burma teak and free of heart center.

******* ...Ken

*www. islandteak.ca

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom