Wood Filler

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MT Nest

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
M/T Nest
Vessel Make
1984 Monk 36 #31
What is a good wood filler for gaps between vertical wood slats.*Would like something thats wood colored.

Epoxy thickened with sanding dust. *Mix it to the thickness of peanut butter and it will fill 1/4" gap or smaller easily. *You can use MEK to remove any excess, as well as glaze the surface as long as you use it before the epoxy has completely kicked off.

If it is a non structural application you might want to try mixing sawdust with a sealer like*Parks Pro Finish Universal Sealer. The resulting paste makes a nice match. However, it will not take stain due to the sealer used as a binder. So use it when you do not have to stain.

Fill the cracks before final sanding or after the first coat of finish to avoid *a "halo" around the filled spot.

No connection to the company, I use this sealer because it is compatable with many different topcoates.*

Rob

37' Sedan

I've used the epoxy with sanding dust technique Carl described with good results. Just remember that most epoxies will break down from UV light over time. So if the filler is going to be exposed to UV, say on the outside of the boat, through a window, etc., you probably want to cover it with something--- varnish or whatever you use as your natural satin or bright finish--- to eliminate the risk of having the epoxy break down from UV over time. Most natural finishes these days have a degree of UV resistance.

Thanks for all the input. I'm going to try and repair the cabin door on M/T Nest with some of this info.

I don't know whether your local West store will have it but you can order wood flour from places like Jamestown.* That will be very fine screened & sifted sanding dust and if I recall correctly you will have some colour choices as well.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom