Winterization Part 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

timjet

Guru
I think I'm up to speed on winterizing the mechanical aspects of my boat, but how about these:

* Lubricants like PB Blaster, WD-40, T-9, etc, necessary to remove from boat?
* Liquor in bottles less than half full, big party before we leave?
* Inflatable dinghy - I was planning on deflating it, turning it upside down and locking it to one of the jack stands.
* O/B motor, not enough room in the car to take it home.
* Will be shrink wrapping, should I remove the isenglass?

Any thing I haven't thought of?

I think I'm up to speed on winterizing the mechanical aspects of my boat, but how about these:

* Lubricants like PB Blaster, WD-40, T-9, etc, necessary to remove from boat? Are OK unless water based
* Liquor in bottles less than half full, big party before we leave? Most people leave...beer and wine donated to the yard crew often as they will freeze
* Inflatable dinghy - I was planning on deflating it, turning it upside down and locking it to one of the jack stands. I would put it on deck or in the cockpit especially if shrink wrapping
* O/B motor, not enough room in the car to take it home. Lock it on deck or in the cockpit if shrink wrapping, or remove the gas, shrink wrap it and put it inside.
* Will be shrink wrapping, should I remove the isenglass? Yes but I hate shrinkwrapping. I have seen way too much damage from it to exterior parts and interior mildew. There's relatively little sun damage in the winter up here so all you are doing is keeping dirt off the boat and in some places even dirt works it's way into properly ventilated wrapped boats.

If you don't wrap, the main thing to worry about is something like a cockpit where snow can start to melt then freeze and the drains freeze up. Then multiple snows and if the drains never thaw right...a lot of water can build up. A small fraction of the money not wrapping can be paid to the marina to check and clear any drain areas if snow melt is building up.

Any thing I haven't thought of?

I definitely don't like shrink wrapping complex shaped boats as WAY too many times they aren't done correctly...if you don't have drains to worry about..or leaks into the boat from some place, then I definitely wouldn't.

Lubricants, liquor (but not beer) won't freeze. Dinghy will be fine. OB also if stored upright.

David

Well I thought I was doing the right thing by shrink wrapping. Maybe not then. The boat being an aft cabin has no drains that can get clogged.

I'm worried about mildew and was planning on getting some mildew preventive at West Marine and asking the shrink wrapper to add vents.

FYI alcohol can freeze but not likely. 80 proof will start getting slushy at -15 degrees F. 100 proof much lower temp.

for security of your dingy/outboard...only you can determine what you feel comfy with and the marina you are at.

also...inflatables on the ground could get damaged from misc yard work...think that one through for worst case scenario.

check with the marina..maybe they can store them inside for a resonable fee.

Wine will freeze; don't ask how I found out. Hint; ice maker.

OK, forget taking the human lubricants home. Throw one last party for the year unless you have already hauled out. Otherwise treat your yard crew. We try to give our yard crew a cooler of beer and a nice bottle to the manager each year. Goes a long way toward getting the wink and nod at crucial times. Later you can make snow angels around your boat and do an "early spring" dance. Cheers. PS let us all know when the party is planned. Who turns down an invitation to a good party?:whistling:

Inflatable dinghy - I was planning on deflating it, turning it upside down and locking it to one of the jack stands.

Hungry rodents may find your dink delectable.

Stuff it down the companionway , and get some help and put the OB there too.

"I'm worried about mildew and was planning on getting some mildew preventive at West Marine . . . . ."

Check out Damp Rid at Home Depot, we used it last year when we were in Norfolk, very happy with the results.

"I'm worried about mildew and was planning on getting some mildew preventive at West Marine . . . . ."

Winters in the cold are usually very low humidity , no problem.

Far more hassle is a storage summer in FL.

Thanks everyone for your helpful tips.

FF: Never thought about the rodents getting the dinghy. I'm not sure yet what I'm going to do about the dinghy. Anybody on the Chessy have any thoughts about that. I hate to rent a storage place for it.

One more question: Does anybody run the pink stuff through their outboard before putting it to bed? How about fogging it?? I was thinking of doing that and storing it upright on the swim platform.

>Does anybody run the pink stuff through their outboard before putting it to bed?<

The green stuff has anti corrosion properties , the pink doesnt.

Fogging is an especially good idea 2 stroke or 4 stroke, there are lots of parts besides just the cylinder that can rust .

Not bad to change the oil in lower unit , should water have leaked in , its 6 months less corrosion.

Winters in the cold are usually very low humidity , no problem.

We had 6 of the small cans of Damp Rid on the boat last winter in Norfolk, when we returned all were full of water. Still plenty of moisture, even in the winter in Norfolk.

>Does anybody run the pink stuff through their outboard before putting it to bed?<

The green stuff has anti corrosion properties , the pink doesnt.

Fogging is an especially good idea 2 stroke or 4 stroke, there are lots of parts besides just the cylinder that can rust .

Not bad to change the oil in lower unit , should water have leaked in , its 6 months less corrosion.

And put in a new water cooling impeller in the spring.... Preferably every year or at least every 2....

Instructions for my Tohatsu 4 stroke 6hp for layup are to run the engine dry of fuel (I use a 5 gal bucket with the prop off and the outboard on a sawhorse to immerse the lower end in fresh water with a hose running into the bucket). Drain carb bowl of gas. Remove spark plug and fog cylinder while pulling starter cord to coat the cylinder walls. Replace plug. Drain and fill lower unit. Check zinc on lower unit. Grease the zerk fittings. Store upright no need for antifreeze. Grease prop shaft and replace prop. Spray down everything with crc 6-25 or whatever and good to go. Still runs awful by mid summer without a total carb teardown and cleaning, but that's another story.

Change all your engine and reversing gear oils. Used oils have moisture in it. Then you are set for the spring.

Change all your engine and reversing gear oils. Used oils have moisture in it. Then you are set for the spring.
Yes, definitely change all oils, forgot to mention the engine oil if a 4-stroke.

Thanks everyone for your helpful tips.

FF: Never thought about the rodents getting the dinghy. I'm not sure yet what I'm going to do about the dinghy. Anybody on the Chessy have any thoughts about that. I hate to rent a storage place for it.

One more question: Does anybody run the pink stuff through their outboard before putting it to bed? How about fogging it?? I was thinking of doing that and storing it upright on the swim platform.
You location says Tampa. Where are you storing it? I guess I missed part 1.

Last edited:
You location says Tampa. Where are you storing it? I guess I missed part 1.

We're on the hard in Deal, MD. The yard is storing our dinghy for $33 for the season!

We're finishing up today and should start the long drive back to Tampa this afternoon.
Never having to winterize before it was a big job which included getting the boat unloaded after living on it for 5 months. I went through 36 gallons of RV antifreeze, some over kill and some wasted.

Any way looking forward to getting home and starting a new life of being semi retired.

Not to hijack a thread, but having been shrinkwrapped for two months, today upon inspection I noticed where the moisture is coming from. Almost the entire inside of the shrinkwrap is dotted with condensation. Not enough vents I assume. The shrinkwrap guy said 3 per side was enough on a 30' boat. Apparently not. How about forced ventilation? I noticed some stick on solar vents from Defender. Any one have experience with these?

I didn't want to shrinkwrap. But the boat has concrete ballast in the keel. So I wanted to keep as much moisture out of the boat so the concrete doesn't expand from freezing. It may be that shrinkwrap actually increases the moisture content.

Maybe I skimmed too fast, but 2 things I didn't notice:

1. change the oil before putting it away for winter.
2. disconnect the fuel line and run it till its dry.

This way any contaminants in the oil won't sit there all that time and fuel won't gum up inside the OB. Besides that and flushing it with water I've never done anything else and never a problem.

Harry

Not to hijack a thread, but having been shrinkwrapped for two months, today upon inspection I noticed where the moisture is coming from. Almost the entire inside of the shrinkwrap is dotted with condensation. Not enough vents I assume. The shrinkwrap guy said 3 per side was enough on a 30' boat. Apparently not. How about forced ventilation? I noticed some stick on solar vents from Defender. Any one have experience with these?

I'll be watching for replies. This is the first time I've winterized and shrink wrapped. I'm located just south of Annapolis, MD.

I put 3 of those moisture buckets inside hoping that would take care of some of the moisture.

>I went through 36 gallons of RV antifreeze, some over kill and some wasted.<

The RV folks sell water heater winter bypass valves , that help redice the volume of AF required.

1. How to Install an RV Water Heater Bypass Kit | eHow

eHow | How to - Discover the expert in you!CarsCars, Trucks & AutosRVs
    How to Install an RV Water Heater Bypass Kit. ... bypass your water heater. Why?... RV Hot Water ... Most pool heaers have a bypass valve to divert water around the ...
  2. The RV Doctor: RV Water Heater By-Pass Valves....again.

www.[B]rv[/B]doctor.com/2012/11/rv-water-heater-by-pass-valves... Cached... still producing hot water but there is ... the bypass valve to the "off" position, I noticed that water is still flowing into the water heater because I pulled ...
  3. Prevent freezing pipes and other damage by winterizing...

www.camco.net/assets/catalog/winterizeRV.pdfget hot water, the water must flow ... When winterizing your RV you will need to bypass the water heater. ... • Leave your hot water heater plug/valve open during ...
  4. Bypass for Culligan RV and US Ez filter systems ...

www.freshwatersystems.com/p-6349-bypass-for-culligan-rv... CachedHot Water Recirculation Pumps; ... Culligan RV-EZ-BYP Bypass for RV and US Ez filter systems. Bypass plug ; ... Shut-Off Valve Kit ...
  5. RV WATER HEATER WINTERIZE BYPASS - WATER HEATER

waterhea.com/rv-water-heater-winterize-bypass Cached... the hot water heater was "bypassed" to install Water heater bypass valves ... RV hot water heater is an ... the water RV Water Heater Bypass ...

Also Try

solar hot water winter
More search results

1 2 3 4 5 Next3,760,000 results
Ads

I'll be watching for replies. This is the first time I've winterized and shrink wrapped. I'm located just south of Annapolis, MD.

I put 3 of those moisture buckets inside hoping that would take care of some of the moisture.

I have found so far that the flexible bags from Walmart work better. Two of those are about filled up in a month. And the buckets aren't even absorbing anything.

I am just trying to get ventilation via solar covered.

Here's a nicro vent I installed yesterday. Cut a piece of plywood the size of the hatch frame, with some weatherstripping. Held in place by cleats underneath and on top with cross crossed bungee cords (if the shrinkwrap blows off). ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1418580377.119195.jpg

Now I have to figure out how to ventilate the entire shrinkwrap envelope. Seems the little 'stick on' vents don't do enough to vent.

Back
Top Bottom