Old 10-17-2014, 08:21 AM   #1
Guru

Winterization Part 2

I think I'm up to speed on winterizing the mechanical aspects of my boat, but how about these:

* Lubricants like PB Blaster, WD-40, T-9, etc, necessary to remove from boat?
* Liquor in bottles less than half full, big party before we leave?
* Inflatable dinghy - I was planning on deflating it, turning it upside down and locking it to one of the jack stands.
* O/B motor, not enough room in the car to take it home.
* Will be shrink wrapping, should I remove the isenglass?

Any thing I haven't thought of?

timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 08:36 AM   #2
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by timjet View Post
I think I'm up to speed on winterizing the mechanical aspects of my boat, but how about these:

* Lubricants like PB Blaster, WD-40, T-9, etc, necessary to remove from boat? Are OK unless water based
* Liquor in bottles less than half full, big party before we leave? Most people leave...beer and wine donated to the yard crew often as they will freeze
* Inflatable dinghy - I was planning on deflating it, turning it upside down and locking it to one of the jack stands. I would put it on deck or in the cockpit especially if shrink wrapping
* O/B motor, not enough room in the car to take it home. Lock it on deck or in the cockpit if shrink wrapping, or remove the gas, shrink wrap it and put it inside.
* Will be shrink wrapping, should I remove the isenglass? Yes but I hate shrinkwrapping. I have seen way too much damage from it to exterior parts and interior mildew. There's relatively little sun damage in the winter up here so all you are doing is keeping dirt off the boat and in some places even dirt works it's way into properly ventilated wrapped boats.

If you don't wrap, the main thing to worry about is something like a cockpit where snow can start to melt then freeze and the drains freeze up. Then multiple snows and if the drains never thaw right...a lot of water can build up. A small fraction of the money not wrapping can be paid to the marina to check and clear any drain areas if snow melt is building up.

Any thing I haven't thought of?
I definitely don't like shrink wrapping complex shaped boats as WAY too many times they aren't done correctly...if you don't have drains to worry about..or leaks into the boat from some place, then I definitely wouldn't.

psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 08:43 AM   #3
Guru

City: East Greenwich, RI
Vessel Name: Bella
Vessel Model: Mainship Pilot 34
Lubricants, liquor (but not beer) won't freeze. Dinghy will be fine. OB also if stored upright.

David
djmarchand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 09:00 AM   #4
Guru

Well I thought I was doing the right thing by shrink wrapping. Maybe not then. The boat being an aft cabin has no drains that can get clogged.

I'm worried about mildew and was planning on getting some mildew preventive at West Marine and asking the shrink wrapper to add vents.
Old 10-17-2014, 09:07 AM   #5
Guru

City: Gulf Shores, Ala.
Vessel Name: Ulysses
Vessel Model: Romsdal 1963
FYI alcohol can freeze but not likely. 80 proof will start getting slushy at -15 degrees F. 100 proof much lower temp.
ulysses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 01:08 PM   #6
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
for security of your dingy/outboard...only you can determine what you feel comfy with and the marina you are at.

also...inflatables on the ground could get damaged from misc yard work...think that one through for worst case scenario.

check with the marina..maybe they can store them inside for a resonable fee.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 03:06 PM   #7
Guru

City: Westport, CT
Vessel Name: Magic
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 46 Europa
Wine will freeze; don't ask how I found out. Hint; ice maker.
hmason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 04:07 PM   #8

City: Huntsville, AL
Vessel Name: Sea Note
Vessel Model: Mainship 40
OK, forget taking the human lubricants home. Throw one last party for the year unless you have already hauled out. Otherwise treat your yard crew. We try to give our yard crew a cooler of beer and a nice bottle to the manager each year. Goes a long way toward getting the wink and nod at crucial times. Later you can make snow angels around your boat and do an "early spring" dance. Cheers. PS let us all know when the party is planned. Who turns down an invitation to a good party?
Toolbuddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 02:54 PM   #9
FF
Guru

Inflatable dinghy - I was planning on deflating it, turning it upside down and locking it to one of the jack stands.

Hungry rodents may find your dink delectable.

Stuff it down the companionway , and get some help and put the OB there too.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 06:12 PM   #10

"I'm worried about mildew and was planning on getting some mildew preventive at West Marine . . . . ."

Check out Damp Rid at Home Depot, we used it last year when we were in Norfolk, very happy with the results.
Tomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 06:37 AM   #11
FF
Guru

"I'm worried about mildew and was planning on getting some mildew preventive at West Marine . . . . ."

Winters in the cold are usually very low humidity , no problem.

Far more hassle is a storage summer in FL.
Old 10-20-2014, 05:33 AM   #12
Guru

Thanks everyone for your helpful tips.

FF: Never thought about the rodents getting the dinghy. I'm not sure yet what I'm going to do about the dinghy. Anybody on the Chessy have any thoughts about that. I hate to rent a storage place for it.

One more question: Does anybody run the pink stuff through their outboard before putting it to bed? How about fogging it?? I was thinking of doing that and storing it upright on the swim platform.
Old 10-20-2014, 06:02 AM   #13
FF
Guru

>Does anybody run the pink stuff through their outboard before putting it to bed?<

The green stuff has anti corrosion properties , the pink doesnt.

Fogging is an especially good idea 2 stroke or 4 stroke, there are lots of parts besides just the cylinder that can rust .

Not bad to change the oil in lower unit , should water have leaked in , its 6 months less corrosion.
Old 10-20-2014, 09:09 AM   #14

[QUOTE=FF;276867]"I'm worried about mildew and was planning on getting some mildew preventive at West Marine . . . . ."

Winters in the cold are usually very low humidity , no problem.

We had 6 of the small cans of Damp Rid on the boat last winter in Norfolk, when we returned all were full of water. Still plenty of moisture, even in the winter in Norfolk.
Tomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 09:47 AM   #15
Veteran Member

City: WYC, Port Whitby, Ontario
Vessel Name: Bonaventure
Vessel Model: Cheer Men PT41 Europa
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
>Does anybody run the pink stuff through their outboard before putting it to bed?<

The green stuff has anti corrosion properties , the pink doesnt.

Fogging is an especially good idea 2 stroke or 4 stroke, there are lots of parts besides just the cylinder that can rust .

Not bad to change the oil in lower unit , should water have leaked in , its 6 months less corrosion.
And put in a new water cooling impeller in the spring.... Preferably every year or at least every 2....
Rduval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 08:51 AM   #16

City: Warwick, RI
Vessel Name: Susan Helena
Vessel Model: Albin40
Instructions for my Tohatsu 4 stroke 6hp for layup are to run the engine dry of fuel (I use a 5 gal bucket with the prop off and the outboard on a sawhorse to immerse the lower end in fresh water with a hose running into the bucket). Drain carb bowl of gas. Remove spark plug and fog cylinder while pulling starter cord to coat the cylinder walls. Replace plug. Drain and fill lower unit. Check zinc on lower unit. Grease the zerk fittings. Store upright no need for antifreeze. Grease prop shaft and replace prop. Spray down everything with crc 6-25 or whatever and good to go. Still runs awful by mid summer without a total carb teardown and cleaning, but that's another story.
mike66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 07:24 PM   #17

City: Tokyo, Japan / Tampa, Florida / Washington, Virginia
Vessel Name: Mondai Nai
Vessel Model: Nordhaven 55 - 45
Send a message via Skype™ to IntervaleII
Change all your engine and reversing gear oils. Used oils have moisture in it. Then you are set for the spring.
IntervaleII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 05:26 PM   #18

City: Warwick, RI
Vessel Name: Susan Helena
Vessel Model: Albin40
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntervaleII View Post
Change all your engine and reversing gear oils. Used oils have moisture in it. Then you are set for the spring.
Yes, definitely change all oils, forgot to mention the engine oil if a 4-stroke.
mike66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 07:11 PM   #19
Guru

City: Cape May, NJ and Englewood, FL
Vessel Name: Irish Lady
Quote:
Originally Posted by timjet View Post
Thanks everyone for your helpful tips.

FF: Never thought about the rodents getting the dinghy. I'm not sure yet what I'm going to do about the dinghy. Anybody on the Chessy have any thoughts about that. I hate to rent a storage place for it.

One more question: Does anybody run the pink stuff through their outboard before putting it to bed? How about fogging it?? I was thinking of doing that and storing it upright on the swim platform.
You location says Tampa. Where are you storing it? I guess I missed part 1.
1984 Monk 36 Hull #46
Englewood, FL and Cape May, NJ
High Wire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 06:37 AM   #20
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Wire View Post
You location says Tampa. Where are you storing it? I guess I missed part 1.
We're on the hard in Deal, MD. The yard is storing our dinghy for $33 for the season!

We're finishing up today and should start the long drive back to Tampa this afternoon.
Never having to winterize before it was a big job which included getting the boat unloaded after living on it for 5 months. I went through 36 gallons of RV antifreeze, some over kill and some wasted.

Any way looking forward to getting home and starting a new life of being semi retired.