Old 12-13-2014, 09:56 PM   #21
Guru

City: Cape Cod
Vessel Name: Slip Aweigh
Vessel Model: Prairie 29
Not to hijack a thread, but having been shrinkwrapped for two months, today upon inspection I noticed where the moisture is coming from. Almost the entire inside of the shrinkwrap is dotted with condensation. Not enough vents I assume. The shrinkwrap guy said 3 per side was enough on a 30' boat. Apparently not. How about forced ventilation? I noticed some stick on solar vents from Defender. Any one have experience with these?

I didn't want to shrinkwrap. But the boat has concrete ballast in the keel. So I wanted to keep as much moisture out of the boat so the concrete doesn't expand from freezing. It may be that shrinkwrap actually increases the moisture content.

cappy208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 10:59 PM   #22
Guru

City: Atlantic Highlands, NJ
Vessel Name: Moana Huaka'i
Vessel Model: Selene 53
Maybe I skimmed too fast, but 2 things I didn't notice:

1. change the oil before putting it away for winter.
2. disconnect the fuel line and run it till its dry.

This way any contaminants in the oil won't sit there all that time and fuel won't gum up inside the OB. Besides that and flushing it with water I've never done anything else and never a problem.

Harry

No Mast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 06:11 AM   #23
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by cappy208 View Post
Not to hijack a thread, but having been shrinkwrapped for two months, today upon inspection I noticed where the moisture is coming from. Almost the entire inside of the shrinkwrap is dotted with condensation. Not enough vents I assume. The shrinkwrap guy said 3 per side was enough on a 30' boat. Apparently not. How about forced ventilation? I noticed some stick on solar vents from Defender. Any one have experience with these?
I'll be watching for replies. This is the first time I've winterized and shrink wrapped. I'm located just south of Annapolis, MD.

I put 3 of those moisture buckets inside hoping that would take care of some of the moisture.
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 07:45 AM   #24
FF
Guru

>I went through 36 gallons of RV antifreeze, some over kill and some wasted.<

The RV folks sell water heater winter bypass valves , that help redice the volume of AF required.

1. How to Install an RV Water Heater Bypass Kit | eHow

eHow | How to - Discover the expert in you!CarsCars, Trucks & AutosRVs
    How to Install an RV Water Heater Bypass Kit. ... bypass your water heater. Why?... RV Hot Water ... Most pool heaers have a bypass valve to divert water around the ...
  2. The RV Doctor: RV Water Heater By-Pass Valves....again.

www.rvdoctor.com/2012/11/rv-water-heater-by-pass-valves... Cached... still producing hot water but there is ... the bypass valve to the "off" position, I noticed that water is still flowing into the water heater because I pulled ...
  3. Prevent freezing pipes and other damage by winterizing...

www.camco.net/assets/catalog/winterizeRV.pdfget hot water, the water must flow ... When winterizing your RV you will need to bypass the water heater. ... • Leave your hot water heater plug/valve open during ...
  4. Bypass for Culligan RV and US Ez filter systems ...

www.freshwatersystems.com/p-6349-bypass-for-culligan-rv... CachedHot Water Recirculation Pumps; ... Culligan RV-EZ-BYP Bypass for RV and US Ez filter systems. Bypass plug ; ... Shut-Off Valve Kit ...
  5. RV WATER HEATER WINTERIZE BYPASS - WATER HEATER

waterhea.com/rv-water-heater-winterize-bypass Cached... the hot water heater was "bypassed" to install Water heater bypass valves ... RV hot water heater is an ... the water RV Water Heater Bypass ...

Also Try

solar hot water winter
More search results

1 2 3 4 5 Next3,760,000 results
Ads

FF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 01:08 PM   #25
Guru

City: Cape Cod
Vessel Name: Slip Aweigh
Vessel Model: Prairie 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by timjet View Post
I'll be watching for replies. This is the first time I've winterized and shrink wrapped. I'm located just south of Annapolis, MD.

I put 3 of those moisture buckets inside hoping that would take care of some of the moisture.

I have found so far that the flexible bags from Walmart work better. Two of those are about filled up in a month. And the buckets aren't even absorbing anything.

I am just trying to get ventilation via solar covered.

Here's a nicro vent I installed yesterday. Cut a piece of plywood the size of the hatch frame, with some weatherstripping. Held in place by cleats underneath and on top with cross crossed bungee cords (if the shrinkwrap blows off). Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1418580377.119195.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	67.8 KB
ID:	35355

Now I have to figure out how to ventilate the entire shrinkwrap envelope. Seems the little 'stick on' vents don't do enough to vent.

cappy208 is offline   Reply With Quote